heartsmyface

I Need A No-buy Period!!!! How long?

[ Edited ]

Ahhhhhh!  I have just been going nuts with the makeup purchases since January! I have literally been buying up stuff as I see and want it!  I read a suggest that to cut back a bit I should go through a No-buy period unless it's a necessity. 

How long should a no-buy be? I was thinking a month but am scared a palette will come out I really want, lol. I'm a bit weak.

i think I need a little support with this one! 

This isn't going to include the palettes I have coming in the mail. I just am not allowed to make anymore purchases starting today for ??????.  

tehprincessjenn

Re: I Need A No-buy Period!!!! How long?

(0) Hearts

I don't know, for me I just go. Meh I don't need it and I usually try to buy what I need. Except for Chic Week, I feel like I binge brought. 

I have no buys for months, unless it's shampoo, conditioner, anything for sanitary reasons. I don't find make-up as sanitary necessities. I do find moisturizer, face cleanser as one. 

And if there's anything you can go on BeautyTester's disabler thread. Disabler kitty will help you disable your buying impulses. 

CaitlinBrunson

I would do "project 10 Pan" this was popular around 07/08 I think and it did me wonders! Whenever I need to save or have too much, this always helps me! :smileyhappy:

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

I'll take a look.

Biedazzle

I feel the same way! Literally since January as well. I'm trying to just limit myself. Unless a palette comes out, I'm trying to stop myself. Just bought the Jaclyn Hill Sigma Beauty Box today though. 

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

Ouhhhh, how are you liking that? 

Biedazzle

I don't have it yet! I just ordered it this afternoon, but I will let you know!

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

That's something that's going to make my no-buy easier- I have stuff still on it's way, lol! 

meagboho

If a long no-buy seems too hard right now, you could maybe try budgeting X amount per month on make up, that way you have to really prioritize, but still get still get to have some fun! Good luck!

quixotic

[ Edited ]

Great responses from everyone!  

I try to treat makeup shopping like writing that angry e-mail to someone who has p*ssed me off.  Sometimes you just need to get it out of your system without really hitting send.  I will fill up my online shopping basket with everything I want/like.  Then, I'll let that basket sit for a week.  I'm often amazed when I go back at how many similar items I chose - and then there's the inevitable "why the heck did I want that?"  It is usually quite easy to par that basket down, and if there is still too much, I'll let it sit for another week.  Often, I end up making no purchases at all - I got the thrill of "shopping" by filling my basket with no limits (i.e., writing what you really thought about your ex-friend's new hair cut) without the damage of buying it all (i.e., hitting send).

Sometimes when there is something I really want but don't really need, I'll bargain with myself on a "reward" system to encourage me to do other things.  I recently quit smoking and gained about 25 pounds.  I really want (but don't need) another Urban Decay build your own palette.  So, I told myself I am allowed to buy one eye shadow for each 5 pounds lost, then the empty palette for the last 5 pounds.  This gives me the incentive I need, and assures I'll use the eye shadows because I had to earn them.

heartsmyface

Oh I LIKE that! And congrats on quitting smoking! The 5lb incentive seems like a great idea! Good luck:smileyhappy: 

krtty1125

I do the add things to my cart thing too.... let them sit for a while.  The only thing is sometimes when I go to buy it it's out of stock!  

I love your suggestion about the reward system... I've been trying to lose about 30 lbs myself and that would be a great motivator!  I'm going to try it...

meagboho

I do this too, load up the cart and think about it.  Sometimes, items go OOS and I either realize I didn't really want it, or did (usually with clothes) and forget about the item after a day.  I try to think of a void the new item would fill in the collection/wardrobe, if it would require ADDITIONAL purchases, and also if I have something so similar, I don't really need it.  I also sign up for cheap subscription boxes, so I still get packages, because that is half the fun!  

Congratulations on quitting smoking, and good luck with the weight-loss, sounds like a great reward system!

rdesigns

I realized when trying to do mrsbaine's no-buy challenge this month that over 95% of my makeup purchases have been a temporary "pick-me-up" rather than a "necessity".  

mrsbaine

Yeah, me too. 

heartsmyface

i clearly don't 'need' anything. I love color, packaging and the little boost I get from acquiring. I'm sorting through all my stash today. I actually may need to do a purge. I'm going to try to use the stuff I like the least this week.  See if I can fall in love with it. 

rdesigns

My mom was a major shopaholic, and for her it was the thrill of the purchase, and that thrill generally only lasted until she got the items home...lol  She taught me this awful behavior as well.  I know it is a bad way of dealing with things, but I know that there are many much more dangerous coping mechanisms and vices to have.

heartsmyface

You ARE right. I could be spending my money on way worse! 

Urbie

[ Edited ]

My mom is a shopaholic too, but she also never throws stuff out.  It was getting hoarder bad before she finally realized she has a problem, and watching her take the past year and a half trying to slowly sort things and get rid of them has been a good wake up call for me...not to mention looking at her boxes of thousands of dollars of unused stuff that she is tossing or donating and thinking about how much food/rent/other necessities it could buy!

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

I guess I should be glad this only applies to cosmetics then. A part if my problem is that my makeup storage is starting to overflow. I'm fairly reasonable about purchasing other stuff. 

rdesigns

My mom was a hoarder as well, but I understand why she did it.  She was a child of the Great Depression when many people had to do without things that we consider everyday items and take for granted.  She did have this odd habit of hoarding empty Tic Tac containers though.  That one I never did understand...lol

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 93 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • tehprincessjenn
    • quixotic
    • lylysa
    • talinder
    • mrsbaine
    • Urbie