ChristiH

How greatly do samples encourage you to purchase?

I admit, I'm a person who is highly swayed by the samples available when I'm planning a purchase. I anticipate their arrival sometimes more so than the product itself. Do you hold out or hit the buy button based on what you see in the sample section? 

maleedawl

Re: How greatly do samples encourage you to purchase?

(0) Hearts

I have honestly never used any of the samples I've gotten from sephora, nor have they ever appealed to me. Most of them are fragrances, and on the rare time they aren't, its not a product worth mentioning. 

JanieV

(0) Hearts

absolutely, 100%

I always wait until there is something good to try before placing an order.  I keep a list of re-fills and wants and wait until something good shows up.

I love the samples, there are so many products I now use that started as a sample.

Jenji

(0) Hearts

I live close to a store so often if i'm unsure about a product I will go and try it out and I love that. I prefer being able to try it out first and know whether I like it or not instead of trying something and returning it or hating it. I love that you can return stuff to Sephora but I think I love the samples even more. Definitely converted me from other stores and brands.

ghkim

(0) Hearts

it can definitely cause me to buy something that i wouldn't have otherwise. but the decision to purchase an item is based on a lot of things for me besides just liking the product: samples, sales/discounts (like chic week 15% off), points (especially if extra points are being given), promo codes, and popularity/perceived availability of the item. ie, if its something that will probably sell out quickly, i might just buy it as fast as i can regardless of what deals and freebies are available.

annec322

(0) Hearts

The samples make a big difference to me.  I always need to see at least one I really want before placing my order.  I will leave my items in my bag and then check back at different times waiting for just the right sample to pop up.  In this case, it was the new Kat Von D makeup wipes.  I think it's totally normal :smileyhappy:

RandeeBT

[ Edited ]

Hi ChristiH!

Samples often determine when I place an order on the website. If I need to order something, I will wait a few days to see if the samples change to things that I want to try! I have found some of my favorite products after trying small samples from online orders! I will also be more likely to place an order if there is a Beauty Insider reward I really want. :smileyhappy:

Best,
Randee
myxducky

Sometimes if the samples are less desirable and are things that I don't like or wouldn't use, I am more likely to hold off from purchasing until there are different samples available. The only time samples aren't a factor are if there is a sale that is about to end or a really good promo code that I don't think will last very long.

Zpsid91

I try to buy when good deluxe sample are out, or if there is a good point perk out. I definitely like to try skincare products before I buy them, so samples from the store are awesome!

DTalksAll

Sometimes. Usually if they have a mini mascara or a perfume I really, really, really want to try, then yes. But for the most part foil samples don't really speak to me. The only thing they are good for is to try out the consistency/see if you have a reaction, or for traveling if it's a product I regularly use. I'm not going to know if a serum works by 2-3 uses out of one foil sample. Most skincare products take weeks or months to see results. 

Sometimes the foundation samples are useful if they come with a few shades so you can try to color match yourself. 

Perks, point perks & promo codes- that sways my purchase.  

dollface131313

(0) Hearts

i used to never really use samples they either got tossed in my makeup drawer or thrown out , then this past year since my skin has gotten more sensitive and i'm trying to save more money i love samples! I even started asking for samples in the store and it has definitely lead to purchases  . I'm still sad i missed out on the 5 samples and pantone bag last week because i waited a day to late i really wanted that bag! lol

crewfan

(0) Hearts

I will totally purchase a product from a sample; and I love getting my Sephora package in the mail and the first thing I will look at is the samples!  Its such a great way to try a product without having to worry about a possible return.  That's why I get so disappointed that if I'm in the actual store I can't get samples when I check out!  No one has ever answered why!  I get tired of asking and then getting some fragrance card!  

Urbie

(0) Hearts

I only ever buy when there is a good deluxe sample code.  I think there was one time this year so far that I made an order without a specific promo code in mind, and that was because I ran out of something while waiting for a good code.

m3rma1d

I almost always fall for putting in an order I wasn't planning on it a good promo (the deluxe sample type) comes along. And I will hold out on ordering if there's nothing I want in the 3 free samples or promo codes.

I even fell for the 5 free samples thing last week. I mean really, 2 extra tiny samples made me blow $30 without blinking. 

I giggle a bit inside when I see the "no samples" option. Who the heck clicks that!? :smileyvery-happy:

Also, sometimes things are tossed in my bag while checking out at a store that I never woulda taken a look at. Like the Soap & Glory lotion sample that the chick put in my bag on Valentine's. They were never on my radar before but now I am obsessed with that scent and I want more and more Soap & Glory stuff!

So yeah. I know samples are all just marketing tactics, and I don't care.

I will happily keep falling for their tricks. :smileytongue:

NurseCupcake

I am a sample hoarder. I have made purchases just for samples before. Not necessarily foil packets, but for good promo codes. I think it's easier now that I'm rouge and don't have to pay for shipping, I'll throw a $20 lipstick or blush or something in order to get a good promo code. It's bad. My sample boxes are overflowing so I've been trying to use them up and make a dent in my stash. 

fatimamummy

(0) Hearts

Well if there is some really good promo code for deluxe samples, I buy the product which I regularly use a little earlier than needed 

kraezilyunique

(0) Hearts

Sometimes - the Glamglow eye treatment sample a few months bag made me justify something I had been wanting to buy, and I bought a mini mascara to get the 5 deluxe samples that were out last week. The promo codes are really what get me to hit that buy button, though :smileyhappy:

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I only buy when there is a great sample, GWP or it is an item I know will move fast item.  If it is an item I can buy any time, I am not motivated to buy it at full price (meaning getting nothing with it).

MlleCC

(0) Hearts

Would it be petty of me to say that both the sample selection and the available promo codes influence my decision to make a purchase?  Since so many other retailers usually have both free samples and gift with purchase offers, I usually make comparisons between Sephora and other sites to see who has better extras before making my purchase.  As I'm not usually an impulse shopper, only outstanding promo codes and not foil samples would encourage me to make a purchase with Sephora for just something that I don't immediately need.  

LouLouR

(0) Hearts

I won't ever buy stuff to get samples but I will get samples, try them and often choose my products from the samples I've tried.

kbmatthews

(0) Hearts

If it's something I need, I'll try to get the best samples for me by waiting a few days or planning it around the deals. If it's just something I want, then only the really good deluxe samples/promo codes will sway me. If there's nothing I need or really want, then no sample can encourage me to buy.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 23 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • itscarin
    • DTalksAll
    • crewfan
    • neko333
    • dollface131313
    • StyleLynn