How did you start wearing make-up?

JChristina19

How did you start wearing make-up?

[ Edited ]

I am always curious to how people start wearing make-up and what influenced them to get into all of this beauty craziness. I, for one, wore make-up when I was 12, about 4 years ago. I wore it to my grade 8 grad. And I never really stopped since. I dealt with a bit of self-esteem issues and I used make-up to cover myself up (literally!). But now I feel better about myself and I just experiment and pamper myself with make-up. And just this year...I joined the Sephora family. What's your story? :smileyhappy:

rikkie

Re: How did you start wearing make-up?

(0) Hearts

Fair enough! I'm sure I just confused the heck out of my body too many times by doing things like washing down sleeping pills with red bull and now it just sleeps when it wants to and doesn't listen to anything I tell it, lol!

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

loooooool I thought Red Bull gives you wiiiiiiiiiings?? Haha! :smileyvery-happy: 

porcelain34

I'm a dancer so I started applying my own makeup when I was 9 but my mom had to do it when I first started dancing at 3.  I didn't start wearing makeup everyday until I was about 14.  It took me a while to get away from the stage makeup look lol.

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

O...M...G. My first make-up days were quite fightening actually looking back at class photos!! *shivers* But eventually, a girl will wear make-up in her lifetime, usually becoming obsessed and ending up here. Hahahaha! :smileyvery-happy: 

beautytester

I first wore makeup my junior yr of HS cuz of award ceremony, then senior picture/prom. Altho I didn't really get into Sephora until sophomore yr of college, and VIB after college. =X

JChristina19

[ Edited ]

For those special ocassions, you just HAVE to wear make-up! It's just the basics. I ended up wearing make-up because the day after my grad, I was like, "I wanna play with my make-up again!" And then as time progresses with your experiementing and playing around, IT GETS SERIOUS! Make-up is a part of your life now, you cannot deny it. :smileyhappy:

Greyes

HeYyY JChristina19,

I just joined the family, wow I think it will be a year this month and I have been on BT since I think April! I must say I truly enjoy being part of this family!

I went to a catholic grammar school and high school, so0o I wasn't allowed to wear makeup in grammar school and felt very unexperienced when I would wear make up in high school. For the LONGEST time my mom told me that I could only wear Clinique because it was hypoallergenic. Every time I tried their foundation it would vanish in about two hours. I once had a boy look at me and ask if I ever "thought about wearing make up?" I looked up at him all embarrassed and said that I was wearing make up now. He said oh "it doesn't look like you have any on!" Which yes is kinda a compliment depending which way you look at it, but this wasn't "wow your skin looks aweso0ome" type of thing it was..."maybe some make up might make you look a little more mature." I told my mom that I'm going to find my own type of make up. 

I'm 24 now and still look like I am in hs. I use make up and hair styling product/tools because I personally think that when I am all "done up" I look like my age. Sure looking young is great but if you are hanging out with your friends and you get referred to as on of their "little sisters" then that is awkward. Especially if your bf looks like he is a bit older than what he is, you don't want to look like a little girl, you know? 

I have learned that my best facial feature are my emerald green eyes and I love to emphasize my eyes more than any other feature. I love the cat eye and playing with all types of mascaras! That's my incredibly long story! >(8D) 

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

Saving the best for last... :smileywink: Hi Greyes (my twin...lol) I love my family here. everyone is so helpful and kind. :smileyhappy: I joined Sephora this year and I will go on with it for a loooong time. Aww, I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't experience make-up early. That boy should have been ashamed of himself!! Haha! You are beautiful the way you are! What a jerk! XD Once this woman at a dept. store asked me if I was a MOM and I was ONLY 12. X_X So awkward. I do look mature for my age and I wear make-up, I could get into a restricted movie. :smileytongue: Yeah, I know what it feels like. Poeple thought my older brother was my younger brother... o.O So luckyyyy! You have green eyes! :smileysurprised: 

abbyh54

I started at 14 (I'm 17 now) and i never really learned, so i put eyeliner and mascara on for my first day of freshman year and I'm pretty sure i looked ridiculous! I learned a lot from youtube though, and recently all I've been wanting to buy was Sephora/high end products! They work so much better and are much better quality! 

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

I also wore the same products you did, but I added eyeshadow to it, and I bet I also looked ridiculous too! XD I don't really watch tutorials on Youtube, but I am watching the ones from Benefit that are really helpful and cute! <3 Sephora is my ultimate satisfaction! :smileyhappy:

Meg82

I only started wearing it last June.  I had experimented a little as young teen but nothing really grabbed hold.  But then I started getting more interested in it (at 30) but I put off doing anything about it b/c it didn't really fit my image or whatever.  But then eventually I decided that was stupid, and that if something  seems fun I should do it.  So I went to Sephora for a makeover/makeup tutorial and that was that.  I was hooked.  I fell down the rabbit hole ridiculously quickly.  

rikkie

(0) Hearts

I'm glad you went for it and decided to try something you were interested in, even if it was kind of intimidating, that isn't easy sometimes. And we wouldn't have you here with us otherwise, so you made a good choice! :smileywink:

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

WHAT?! Anyone can wear make-up! Who cares if you don't have that "look". Make-up has endless possibilities to fit someone in this world. I'm glad you have the same passion we do now. :smileyhappy: Does Sephora have a hypnotist's air in it?? looooool I'm hooked too! :smileyvery-happy: 

pastelflower

I started wearing make-up at 14 when I entered high school. My mom took me to the Frances Denney counter at JCPenney to have my make-up applied because she couldn't help me - she only wore powder and lip gloss for special occasions. XD

I don't think I started wearing make-up regularly until I was 17 and in the early 2000's I discovered Sephora and ALL THE MAKEUP BRANDS and products I had never seen or heard of (like primers and bronzers) and I was a goner. :smileyhappy:

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

I started wearing make-up in high school too!! (Is that like a teenage girl tradition or something?? lol) Sephora is my #1 destination for beauty. They have everything, and I mean EVERYTHING for all of your needs there. :smileyhappy: 

pinkonyx

I started wearing make up in 6th grade.  I would put glitter on and shiny lip loss. Then in 9th grade I went to a full face, foundation, eye shadow, blush, lip-gloss, mascara, and so on... I NEVER, and I repeat NEVER WENT A DAY WITHOUT MAKE UP IN HIGHSCHOOL! EVER! no joke. I learned this from my mother who always wore make up, and not just any make-up quality make-up mainly Estee Lauder.  So for holidays se would tell me make a list and this is how I discovered Sephora, and professional make-up. The first high end make-up I owned was SMASHBOX, and Ive loved smashbox ever sense...  and Sephora.

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

Glitter and lip gloss!!! Classic girl make-up! OMG! I started doing the full face make-up in 9th grade too! :smileyvery-happy: I cannot bear to go a day without wearing make-up. It just feels...weird!! :smileysurprised: Sephora will forever be my ultimate beauty store...and guilty pleasure. :smileywink:

sugarluvv

when i was in 8th grade i started wearing a little eyeliner on my lower lash line.  Back then i started getting some acne here and there and really didnt care much of how i looked.  One day my mom went to buy some sheisedo mask and toner at the mall and i tag along. The lady gave my mom some concealer/foundation samples, but my mom gave it to me instead.  I tried it and was impressed on how i looked, absolutly flawless.  After that i started watching youtube videos and saw a lot of people having brand name cosmetics such as: ud, smashbox, too faced, dior, mac, etc. Slowly i develop a passion for collecting high end makeup.  After entering highschool (currently a junior) i have a truck load of makeup well worth over 6-8000$ that i know i wont be able to finish in my lifetime. I also have a skincare one somewhat similar to this one lol. 

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

I started doing your technique after playing make-up with a friend. :smileyhappy: She taught me how. After using make-up and seeing how fab you are, you cannot stop! you start doing research, online browing, shopping, it doesn't stop from there! Make-up has become your passion. When I joined Sephora, I started getting into those prestige make-up brands, too! Now entering my last year of HS, I can say that my three drawers are full of beauty products. :smileywink:

Kiki1517

Other than wearing the basic foundation and mascara, I didn't really start hoarding until last August when I was a bridesmaid for my best friend's wedding. I wanted to splurge but didn't know much about makeup. I stopped at the MAC counter and thought their selection was amazing. Unfortunately, I found out really quick that my skin was not happy about it. I went through so many different brands, until I joined this community and literally read a thread on here about acne. I started eliminating anything with parabens from my stash and my skin has gotten alot better and now I'm dealing with the damage. In the process, I have quickly become addicted and also become the neighborhood beauty guru lol. 

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

Basic foundation and mascara are also my fist make-up products!! :smileysurprised: I started hoarding just this summer, boared at home. :smileytongue: I'm still trying to learn a lot from make-up, so I decided to join Sephora becasue I knew you'd all be so nice to me. :smileyhappy: Sephora is the ultimate place to get your beauty products, no doubt...because IT's JUST SOO BIG!! :smileyvery-happy: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 88 replies
  • 70 hearts
  • 39 in conversation
    • sephoralovex
    • spoiledbrat
    • waterbaby1981
    • ry22
    • janinebt
    • unblownkisses