How did you start wearing make-up?

JChristina19

How did you start wearing make-up?

[ Edited ]

I am always curious to how people start wearing make-up and what influenced them to get into all of this beauty craziness. I, for one, wore make-up when I was 12, about 4 years ago. I wore it to my grade 8 grad. And I never really stopped since. I dealt with a bit of self-esteem issues and I used make-up to cover myself up (literally!). But now I feel better about myself and I just experiment and pamper myself with make-up. And just this year...I joined the Sephora family. What's your story? :smileyhappy:

JChristina19

Re: How did you start wearing make-up?

(0) Hearts

I've always been self-conscious becasue of my acne too. I've started with what you have and it slowly begins to develop into the whole package of make-up. Concealers...I just can't live without it!! If I'm on the run for school, I just put it on without foundation and I'm ready for the rest!! I'm also getting addicted to my high-end concealer, Benefit Boi-ing Concealer! I just lvoe it and when I apply it with my Sephora concealer brush...MAGIC! :smileyvery-happy:

MermaidBarbie

[ Edited ]

Same here about wearing just a few things at age 14. Then sophomore year hit, and I went a little crazy with the makeup lol. And with regards to foundation, I only used powder in high school, didn't use liquids, concealers, bronzers, etc. Now, I am addicted to high-end makeup and skincare because I love quality vs price and subsequently, I learned how to properly apply makeup (no more sponge-tip applicators lol)! And ditto on YouTube videos and makeupalley! :smileyhappy:

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

SAME HERE! I went a bit overboard with make-up in my first and second year of high school...YIKES! Just looking back at those pictures...Anyways, I am wearing foundation, concealer, powder and bronzor. I feel like the more experience you have with make-up, the more you know what to do with it. I love comparing drug store make-up and pretigious make-up! It's so much fun!! I've actually almost went over my Internet limit becasue of those beauty tutorials on youtube! :smileytongue:

LCResz

Didn't really start until college, and even then just for parties. I still don't really wear makeup for anything other than special occasions, but I do love the stuff! I am mainly obsessed with skincare products and perfume though, thank goodness that when I need to brighten my day there's a new rollerball I can pick up :smileywink:

JChristina19

For special occasions, I feel like make-up is your extra accessory and secret weapon. It just gives you that extra OOMPH! :smileyvery-happy: I am also obsessed with perfume!! My fave is Angel by Thierry Mugler.(Is it odd for a 16 year old??) Rollerballs...OMG. I just discovered them this year and I was like, "Where have you been all my life?!" Haha!! It's a great travel must, especially since I'm in school. :smileywink:

LCResz

(0) Hearts

Lady, run, do not walk, to sign up for the subscription box Mugler Addict! Best $50 I've spent, and I still have three more boxes coming my way over the next year! In my first box I receive a mini Angel,a mini Mugler Cologne, sample vials of Angel Chic and Alien Chic, a deluxe sample of Angel body lotion, AND a full size Magma Fusion lip gloss that retails for $35. I can't wait to see what  goodies will be sent next, but as long as I keep getting minis I am happy!

krunce

Heya!,

My nextdoor neighbour was our babysitter and she had a really cool fashion sense and was super artsy. I can actually credit a lot of my (so far) lifelong interests, passions, and my career, to her...including badminton (I used to play varsity), art (I did a BFA and am doing a PhD in Art History) andddd make up!

My sister and I played around with make up with her when she was babysitting, and eventually, my Dad took pity on our poor make up skills and booked us a personal make up lesson with the Clarins counter in the Bay. And the rest is history...

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

I'm glad you've found inspiration from someone. It can really change your life! And it's awesome you're doing a PhD in art history! I think that's really cool! You gonna get a PhD in make-up too?? loooool ;D Awww, your dad is so sweet! He knows just what a girl needs! :smileywink: After one trip to a beauty counter, yes...the rest IS HISTORY! Thnaks for sharing!! :smileyhappy:

ry22

6th Grade: drugstore mascara & lipgloss

7th Grade: above plus light, shimmery eyeshadow and perfume

8th Grade: above plus blue/green/navy liner, more colored eyeshadows, bronzer, blush, tinted moisturizer

9th Grade: Everything you can think of

The summer after 8th Grade I was introduced to Sephora and fell in love. As an 11th grader now, I have never looked back, but I still have certain limits I set on myself:

-No berry/red lips to school

-No full coverage foundation

-No black smokey eyes to school

-No bright colored shadows to school

But other wise, I'm open to most other things, especially out of school.

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

Wow...That's such an amazing transition!! I think this is just like MY make-up transformation. LOL, that's right! After you experiment with make-up, you say, "I think I need to layer it down a SMIDGE!!" :smileyvery-happy: But Sephora has deinfitely shown me a different side to beauty. And they will fulfill your beauty limits even if you aren't going the extra mile for school. I think outside of school, you'll still look beautiful with your early exposure to make-up and experience!! :smileywink: 

janinebt

I started wearing makeup in the 8th grade. It took a few years to get it together but man have I come a long way!

Whimsically yours,
Janine
jennjenn123

Powder at 12.  I had acne and horribly oil skin, so at least it must have soaked up some oil.  My junior high had a 9th grade prom, to which I was allowed to wear mascara and foundation.  Except I remember the foundation was so oily!  There was oil pooling at the top in the jar (it was my mom's).  I was 15 then.  I think when I started 10th grade I was allowed to wear foundation and mascara on a regular basis.  I wasn't allowed to wear eyeliner until I was 17 or 18.

I was introduced to Sephora at the ripe old age of 27.

JChristina19

You were not 27 years OLD. You were 27 years YOUNG!! :smileyvery-happy: Wow, I'm guessing you were pretty conservative with make-up back then. But I'm so glad you are part of this family now. :smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

I was brought into Sephora for the first time when I was 13, and that was the day when I found a new addiction... makeup. I started with liquid eyeliner and soon everything else. Makeup is fun and for me it's a passion!

JChristina19

Same here!! :smileysurprised: We must be beauty sisters!! :smileyvery-happy:

waterbaby1981

I started wearing makeup at 14 when my parents allowed me to.  At first I used Cover Girl pressed powder, Maybelline Illegal Lengths mascara (the ONLY ONE that didn't irritate my sensitive eyes), and had two shadows-champagne and brown suede.  I was lucky enough to be blessed with good genes from both sides of my family and had super fair, clear skin.  In a way, the fair skin was a blessing in disguise, because foundation always feels too heavy on my skin and Cover Girl had just come out with their first tinted moisturizer.  I tried it on and fell in love with it.  Looked just like my skin (and MATCHED!) and enhanced it instead of covering it up.

I wore makeup all throughout high school (had a couple of lipsticks-dance team and for pictures but mostly lip gloss was worn) until I hit college.  It was there that I learned no one cares what you look like.  You're there to learn.  Not to mention the fact that I had most classes in the morning (at 7 am until about 11 am), so I appreciated every single extra minute of sleep I could get in the mornings.  Especially since I usually worked as closing cashier from 3-11:30 pm!  So I would get up, wash my face and go to class but only put on makeup once I had gotten home and gotten a nap before I went to work. 

I didn't really get back into wearing makeup until after my wedding.  As a gift, my husband took me to the Laura Mercier counter at Nordstrom and paid for the makeup for the wedding.  (I bet he's regretting that now.)  Tinted moisturizer that matched my porcelain fair skin tone!  Mascara that didn't irritate my eyes!  Best of all, CONCEALER that camouflaged my undereye circles.  Plus, great makeup brushes that have lasted nearly 10 years and not shedding. 

Then I discovered Ulta.  Thank God both the husband and I were making enough money that I could afford to indulge my new beauty habit.  And get my hair highlighted.  Brows waxed.  Pedicures done (which I need to do today).  It was glorious.  Until the day I realized Clackamas Town Center and Washington Square both had a Sephora.  I could've died and gone to heaven.

I stopped wearing a lot of makeup in 2011 for long while after my daughter passed away at six weeks postpartum.  I had quit my job earlier in 2010 as well, so it didn't matter if I wore it or not.  I didn't want to get up, eat much, etc.  Basically really REALLY bad depression.  Going back on Lexapro did help quite a bit.  I knew I was bad if DAN went on antidepressants as well.  I've never seen him take any medications in my life until then.  I didn't really start wearing makeup for something to do to pass the time at home alone until my sister got married in August 2013 (and just celebrated her second anniversary this week).  Then I got to do the bridal party's makeup and hair.  That jumpstarted me getting out, working out, doing makeup, getting dressed, and essentially becoming more human again. 

So now we're back to now.  I wore makeup most of the time until Ashley was born.  Breastfeeding on demand, a C-section, just generally being wiped out...makeup fell by the wayside until a short time ago.  I still have really good skin, still wear tinted moisturizer but even though I hoard to an extent, I wear mainly the basics lately with sunscreen underneath and always have a lip gloss or three in my bag.  My money is usually spent on skincare lately (most recent purchase being the Algenist lifting and firming serum).  Nearly 32 and no lines on my forehead yet, I can thank the Clinique Repairwear Laser Focus serum and Repairwear Intensive Night Cream for that. :smileywink:

spoiledbrat

(0) Hearts

@waterbaby, please know I am truly sorry you experienced a pain no parent should. How can something you cannot see hurt so deeply? I lost my third child, and only girl, to SIDS. She was 7 1/2 weeks. My heart goes out to you. The first year was a fog for me. My two sons saved me because they still needed care. I put one foot in front of the other, but I do not remember much. She died in the middle of October and my former hub had a girlfriend by Christmas. Did not shed a tear over him. Thankfully you two were able to stay together. Bless you.

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

...I think I'm speechless. First of all, I'm sorry to hear of your passing. And your depression. It's not easy dealing with depression. I, too, have dealt with it...well bi-polar...but I got help after wards. I haven't been on antidepressants yet becasue I'm still 16, I just need therapy. I really hope you are OK now. And congratulations on your new born daughter! :smileyhappy: BACK TO THE MAKE-UP! OMG, I started using Covergirl foundation too! And Maybelline mascara and all of the basic drug store make-up. My parents didn't really mind if I did wear make-up but they just worry I wear TOO much. I agree! The CG tinted moistruizer is a bonus even though I have acne and oily skin. I've also been blessed with good skin by my late grandmother, but I have discolouration because of the make-up I'm using :/ (Any suggestions to imporve discolouration??) 

OH SNAP! Wow, you must have been really busy in school! Just juggling studying and a job and make-up! 

LOL, I love that story of your husband spending all of that cash on your make-up on your wedding. :smileytongue: 

It's true. You've not used make-up during your depression and then a happy time comes along and you're like, "I need this stuff again!!" :smileyvery-happy:

I hoard...A LOT. For everything. :smileytongue: And I really do recommend the serums!! My mom uses them when I give her the samples (I can't use them obviously!) and she just loves them. My mom's going through a mid-life crisis, acting like a teenager and using my stuff, feeling young again. It's great! :smileyhappy:

JChristina19

Thanks for all of your replies!! These are some very entertaining stories. I cried, I chuckled, I gasped. :smileyhappy:

rikkie

You're always so bubbly and energetic! How do you keep that up all the time?? I must know your secret, hahaha. :smileyhappy:

JChristina19

Well...THAT'S me!! Too much sugar. Ah, the perks of being a teenage girl. :smileywink: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 88 replies
  • 70 hearts
  • 39 in conversation
    • sephoralovex
    • spoiledbrat
    • waterbaby1981
    • ry22
    • janinebt
    • unblownkisses