JChristina19

How did you start wearing make-up?

[ Edited ]

I am always curious to how people start wearing make-up and what influenced them to get into all of this beauty craziness. I, for one, wore make-up when I was 12, about 4 years ago. I wore it to my grade 8 grad. And I never really stopped since. I dealt with a bit of self-esteem issues and I used make-up to cover myself up (literally!). But now I feel better about myself and I just experiment and pamper myself with make-up. And just this year...I joined the Sephora family. What's your story? :smileyhappy:

unblownkisses

Re: How did you start wearing make-up?

I really started wearing make-up when I was 15, and got dumped for the first time... Nothing like heartbreak to make you change your look right? I played around with the Avon products my grandmother had been sending for years, especially the gunmetal cream eyeshadow which I used as [heavy] eyeliner... And it just progressed... poorly at first.

Make-up became an actual past-time and I got snobby-ish with it somewhere between my first and second year of college (tossing drugstore brands, researching products vs. impulse buying, etc.)

I'm still evolving :smileyhappy:

JChristina19

Take THAT, ex-boyfriend! I'm a HOT tamale!! looool But yeah, I also started with Avon too when my mom would always read those catalogues. I looked like a total mess when I first started using make-up: clumped mascara, too much eyeliner, bright eyeshadow, etc.!! I am evolving too, make-up evolves ALL the time. But you just have to play catch up with it. :smileywink: Impulsive buys ARE THE BEST...! :smileysurprised:

unblownkisses

Yeah, we're still Facebook friends and I definitely came out on top in that break up even though I didn't instigate it! Haha. I do thank him for introducing me to my current boyfriend though, and starting me down the path that led me here!

I can impulse buy with the best of them but I love doing the research! The build up & prolonged "Oh my God I want it!" before giving in makes the giving in way better! Plus, when I look into the item and pour over it and the values, etc. I know for sure that I'm being smart with my make-up investments and waiting for the right deals, so it takes some of the sting out of the $$$. I figure as far as past-times go, since I spend so much time on it pre, and post purchase, the entertainment value alone is worth it. I don't get that if I just impulse buy!

This is an essay. x

JChristina19

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I love your essay. Can someone give this woman the Nobel Beauty Prize??? :smileyvery-happy: 

unblownkisses

(0) Hearts

Or any prize really. I also accept free cookies. :smileyhappy:

BlushHoarder

Looking cute is the best revenge. :smileyhappy:

tashalicious

whenever my mom would send me to the store i would keep the change and buy a tube of  "Wet n Wild " lipstick, magazines like Glamour, Essence, Seventeen and Cosmo  taught me a lot about  makeup ,hair, fashion, skincare , and other feminine stuff, i never skipped an issue because this was back in the 80's and there was no such thing as internet Beauty Forums. my love affair with Sephora began in 1998 at  a New York City, Time Square location. i was hesitant to walk in at first because it looked very intimidating, but the cast members were so nice and inviting and when they gave me a makeup tutorial/ makeover.  i was shocked. i could not believe the transformation. i've been a  beauty addict ever since. :smileyvery-happy:

JChristina19

I think magazines have also influenced me to buy make-up and use them. The ads are just too convincing. I did start on those drugstore brands like New York Colour and ELF. I was 13 when I first saw Sephora open at my hometown mall in Toronto. I was also intimidated becasue it looked like it was for superficial, rich people! But I was wrong. When I stepped in for the first time, the employees were so nice and I was all over the place browsing in awe! I think Sephora has definitely established a new title for me: beauty addict! :smileywink: 

tashalicious

RIGHT!!!  it did look like a place for snobs! LOL  i felt like i had just walked into a private event, but that feeling only lasted about 3 minutes. :smileyvery-happy:

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

Haha! I knooooooow! It was only a matter of a few months I was able to sit on those "private event" make-up application chairs and have my look completely re-vamped! :smileyvery-happy:

mafan

I never really wore it until last year, and I'll be 50 in December!  My mom took me off to buy makeup in high school and I'm sure I wore what she made me get, but I wasn't into it at all.  I'd play around on the rare occasion in college (so I guess I took it with me) but I really didn't wear it then.  My mom put her makeup on me for both of my sisters' weddings because she insisted I get makeup.  My friend bought me makeup and put it on for me for my wedding.

I really started getting into it last year.  My dad passed away in early February after 3 weeks of being fairly unresponsive in ICU.  I didn't really cry, but I didn't sleep, and I looked in the mirror and thought I just looked awful, especially my eyes.  I knew I had to do a reading at his funeral so I went to Sephora and asked one of the associates to help me find something to make my eyes look better, and she helped me with some eyeshadow suggestions and explained how I should apply it, and found me waterproof mascara.  And it just took off from there.  Taking advantage of a free makeover offer for Beauty Insiders (or maybe I was VIB due to buying skincare/fragrance/etc) really helped me figure out other items to add to my collection.

So yea, I started wearing makeup because of my dad, even though he never saw it.

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

Be proud and 50 years young, my friend. :smileyhappy: That is a very sweet story. I'm very sorry about your dad. :smileysad: I think make-up is...well. A girl has to wear it once in her lifetime for big milestones like, of course, your WEDDING. :smileyvery-happy: And Sephora is my ultimate beauty destination, so if you do need anything, they will carry it. For all ages and budgets. I think that's how you took off into beauty, but most importantly, becasue of your dad too. May he rest in peace. <3 

calamityjane85

My mom got into Mary Kay (yuck) when I was a pre-teen, so I went into high school thinking I was hot stuff- with lipstick, kabuki brush and all. I had a jumpstart compared to all my friends. I really kept it basic after becoming a mom, but since my kids are more independent now, I take more time for myself and I am obsessed with all things beauty. 

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

lol Mary Kay...Those were the good old days. :smileyhappy: Oh yeah, lipstick...When I started wearing it, my mom got mad becasue she was like, "OH NO! My baby's growing up too fast! Stop using that lipstick!" Haha! Take time for youself, the baby birds are old enough to fly now so the momma birdie can pamper herself in all thing beauty. :smileywink: 

lilmissmodel14

I actually started for performance purposes. I danced and in annual recitals we would wear makeup. also around 12 years old I got a make up palette from relatives from sephora and just played around with it. still to today I don't wear it 100% but I'm starting to at age 16, 17 in 3 weeks! 

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

Happy early birthday! It's nice to see that I'm not the only 16 year old who has spent more than $500 in Sephora!! :smileywink: 

lilmissmodel14

Thank you very much! Haha you and me both! I have 780 points right now and spent 100 on a mini shower gel! That means I spent around that much since I didn't look into bonus points at the. going to spend another $200 tomorrow! Ahh 600 points there ! Yay :smileytongue:

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

YOU GO GIRL!! :smileyvery-happy: 

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

My story... so when I was like 10 my mom gave me a Sephora eyeshadow trio and a small brush. That was the first beauty product that I have ever owned (besides like lip balm and stuff like that). I really liked the idea, but I thought it was too much work to put on so it pretty much decayed in my drawer. It wasn't until I was like 13 that I actually wore makeup that I had, and the addiction has grown ever since.

JChristina19

(0) Hearts

Ohhh yes! :smileyhappy: If it's there, you can't get rid of it! It's just too tempting! You want to look and feel good at the same time. 

BlushHoarder

I had a bit if post postpartum depression. It gave a me an outlet. Now I just love it because I love art and it is a feasible hobby

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 88 replies
  • 70 hearts
  • 39 in conversation
    • sephoralovex
    • spoiledbrat
    • waterbaby1981
    • ry22
    • janinebt
    • unblownkisses