Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

How I did my make-up in High School!

inspired by a recent YouTube tag I thought I'd start a thread here. 

My go to look was electric blue liner and mascara from collection 2000 with  Avon iced champink eyeshadow dust and the same colour lipstick. I thought I was the bomb! Sadly no photos handy to share, if I can find one I'll upload but I hated having my pics taken 

These days  youngsters have such better access along with tutorials that they can learn from off if YouTube. My 12 year old can do a fab contour and even perfect winged eyeliner! 

What was your go to look?  please share a photo too if you have one! 

take care X 

Re: How I did my make-up in High School!

I am so enjoying reading all of these, so many memories, thanks for sharing. 

are y'all ready for way too much information ? because i've been thinking about this a lot since noticing this tag pop up on youtube. lots of vague memories coming back and it feels oddly therapeutic. i'm both relieved and sad i don't have photos to share.

i went through a few makeup phases in high school....i can remember some better than others.

a MAC counter came to my city around the year 2000. i remember my freshman year my mom took me (thanks mom) and i got to pick out a few eyeshadows--this was my more colorful phase. i remember i had the famous club (green/brown shift), a bright green eyeshadow and a bright blue eyeshadow that had a green shift. i don't remember what those last two were called. i think i likely wore way too much, and i think know i probably looked rather horrifying. that's a lot of color in the hands of someone with no skill or practice. i also was way into glitter my freshman year (2000 y'all it was the future !) and had two pots of tony & tina glitter which was the besssst glitter. i had a light frosty white/light purple one and a gunmetal one.

what i remember about eyeshadow pursuits were that i would try to fit everything onto the lid of my eye. there was no concept of blending.

my sophomore and junior years i was really into both light grey, gunmetal and olive tones. i frankly enjoyed looking a bit dirty. lived in. unshowered. or something. 

a near constant throughout  all my high school phases was a focus on the eyes. lip color terrified me. 99% of the time it was black liquid liner. i remember the one -- it was REVLON color stay. i'd line my upper lid and always--always--my water line because not only did i think it make me look dark and complicated (grrroan), i thought it made my eyes look greener. by the time i was a Sr. and sooooo much more sophisticated (ha) i had moved on to MAC prunella (something i still love, actually). i wore heaps and heaps of a waterproof maybelline mascara that they no longer make (volum express when volum express was just a type of mascara rather than the name of a range of different mascaras). 

i remember once i was in the  dance room of the high school redoing my makeup and i was putting on mascara and this mean girl goes "uh, i think you have put on enough" and laughed at me in front of everyone and i was soooooo embarrassed. i mean, she was probably right, but that's not the point ! 

the other big thing i did was try to wear as nude of lips as possible. this became a trend in the mid 2000s, but this was slightly before MAC myth was a thing (2001-2003 were my prime concealer lip days), so i would struggle to find anything to suit my desires. i often wore concealer on my lips, topped with either MAC lip glass (a milky near-white one i stole from my mom) or a light beige nude and frosty BATH AND BODY WORKS lipgloss (this was my very very favorite that i wore though most of high school) from when BBW had a makeup range (which there is absolutely no photographic evidence of online apparently). 

i always struggled with foundation as i was very pale (but in denial of that) and had acne. i had no concept of foundation texture (matte, dewy), i just wanted to be covered. i wasn't so petrified of oily skin, despite having acne, as i was of dry skin because so many of the acne medications at the time would dry you out so bad that your makeup would literally peel off. so i would stay away from powder and just re-apply multiple times a day. i don't think i ever wore blush. and bronzer was only just becoming a thing and it confused me (i might've stolen my bestie's a few times to try it out--she always had better makeup than i did !)

Sr. year i changed things a bit. i stole a BOBBI BROWN shimmer brick (i think it was the first one ever released, 'bronze') from my mom (i was the worst). i thought it was an eyeshadow palette though and would wear the darker shades on my eyes, or would go for BOBBI BROWN eyeshadow in 'stone' 'slate'. MAC prunella as the liner, and MAC high-strung on the lips just about every day. this is the look that carried me into college. 

HIGHSCHOOLMAKEUP.jpg

i'm putting my college makeup phases in the spoiler. 2004-2008

Spoiler
freshman year: i remember i had this berry balm from either estee lauder or lancome; it was the first thing that started to open me up toward wearing a bit of color on my lips. then a colorful resurgence happened in the spring semester that was rather reminiscent of my colorful freshmen year of high school. i had a bright magenta maybelline eyeshadow that i'd wear all the way up to my brow bone and all the way to the edge of my nose.....i was going through an 80s new romantics music phase, and i was very excited about it.

sophomore year: as a reaction to thinking 'oh i looked crazy last spring' and having a boyfriend who had too much influence over me, i started my no makeup makeup phase. thin eyeliner sometimes for subtle definition, mascara, some sort of pink sheer lipstick

jr. year: i went to barneys and bought my first chanel yeux stylo (eyeliner) for my eyes. my acne finally cleared up. this phase was clear skin with a little bit of foundation, my chanel eyeliner on my upper lid, thin and a bit smudged, mascara, and a bright pink yet sheer smashbox lip balm. every day, never changed.

sr. year: i discovered the power of eyebrows. my look changed drastically and then didn't change for over a year: light foundation, i'd fill in my brows with brown eyeshadow that made them significantly bigger and i never touched any other eye makeup. no liner or mascara. i had one lipstick that was MY color and i was so proud of it: givenchy rouge interdit satin lipstick in '08 pretty rose'. this stayed this way for a couple years. this is my favorite look to think back on, despite questionable execution. 

the end !

Wow, my mom would never let me use more than just lipstick! Hopefully I get out of that phase soon! 😛

Well, cringe, to start out with.

I wore no moisturizer at all even though I had oily skin until I was about 20. It made all the issues worse. Definitely had acne and would use only acne cleansers that were drying and way too harsh.

Clinique acne solutions makeup in the lightest colour, piled with my fingers and not blended down my neck.

No concealer for some reason, just added extra foundation.

The blue anti- shine powder from Clean and Clear all over to set.

Mac Peachy Keen blush, I repurchased this at least twice.

Two colours of Mac eyeshadow. Half the eyelid lavender, the other half teal?! ( for a more toned down look, half lavender, half brown.) 

Black eyeliner in waterline

Black mascara, usually the Clinique one in the dark green I got as a promo, which is actually still a pretty good mascara. 

I must have a photo somewhere..

I started doing scented lotions and lip glosses in elementary school. I was into competition dance teams and cheerleading, so I learned how to do makeup at an early age. By middle school, in the 90's, I was doing foundation, concealer, eyeshadows, eyeliners, lipstick, lipgloss, mascara, and blush. I think I was one of very few girls at that age to wear makeup. By high school, in the 00's, I was experimenting in different ways to do my eyeshadow. My eyeshadow was always styled to compliment or coordinate with my outfits. I did a smoky eye if I was to dress kind of goth, frosty pink shadow if I wanted to dress very girly, sparkly purple and blue if I was dressing more punk, neutrals and browns if I was trying to look more classy with a cardigan. Alllllways did a winged eyeliner. Always. Winged eyeliner was something I always did from age 13-25. My makeup was Clinique items from my mom or some assortment of drugstore brands probably mostly Cover Girl. I also had tons of lip smackers and burt's bees that my aunt would get for me. I loved playing with makeup. It wasn't until I tried to have kids in my mid twenties that my auto immune disorder flared up to where my body got really picky about what I could put on:( At least I had my youth to play with makeup that I couldn't tolerate these days.

High school. I alternated between no makeup and natural hair.

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 12.19.07 PM.png

and foundation, mascara, and a soft lipstick with my hair blowed dry and curled at the tips.

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 12.19.31 PM.png

you have always looked young!  Pretty! 

@notcreative I love when you post your old pictures, you're so cute!! 

Too cute! 🙂

Adorbs!  <333

Oh my goodness @notcreative! Look at you! You haven't changed (darn you!) 😄

I have a lot more wrinkles and pounds, but thank you.

@notcreative You are definitely what I call a natural beauty!

I've seen pics of you with minimal makeup and pics of you with a bit more makeup, and I think you look prettier with less makeup (like the 2nd pic ^^). Sooo pretty there and with a beautiful smile! I could understand why your boyfriend-now-husband laid claim to you at a young age! 🙂

I think my husband is extremely good looking in addition to being wonderful, so I always feel like the lucky one. Thanks though.

@notcreative You're very welcome - and I DO mean what I said above!!

BTW, don't ever de-value yourself; your husband is the lucky one!! ❤️

In high school I had much better skin (less stress, less hormones?) so all I wore was a little bit of Maybelline foundation to cover red marks on my chin, powder all over, eyeliner and mascara. 

Occasionally I wore eyeshadow, mainly Clinique GWP's (I bought my first eyeshadow palette just ~3 years ago!) and glosses.

I didn't have Youtube as a teenager and we didn't even get our first Sephora store until I was in my 20's.

My mom was (and still is) really into MAC so that became my first makeup brand. Also it was the only makeup brand I used.

I remember a lot of heavy black sparkly eyeshadow. I had a Mineralize Duo Eyeshadow called Persona/Screen Vinyl from the 2006 A Muse Collection. It had a  sparkly grey shadow and a frosty white and I absolutely loved it. It's probably the only eyeshadow I've ever actually finished.

upload_5870576752338090975.jpg

When that ran out, I got Black Tied and White Frost. Back then I didn't really know that you could use more shadows in a look. I also used concealer as a primer. I didn't know what primer was, but I had figured out that my shadow was more pigmented when I used concealer under it.

I was very into heavy black liner. But just on my lower lash line. MAC Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Engraved was what I used. I also used MAC Zoomlash Mascara in Zoomblack.

For face makeup, I used MAC Select Moisture Cover in NW20. It's pretty darn sheer and hydrating. When I was around 16 I moved onto MAC Select Cover Up in NW20 which definitely had way way more coverage. Which I needed from crying myself to sleep every night because issues. For some reason I was really into powder foundation and used MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation in NW20.

I didn't use any blush or bronzer let alone highlight and contour.

For lips, I was very into the foundation lips but with a light pink frosty lipstick on top. MAC Pretty Please was the light pink frosty lipstick of choice. Just imagine that with concealer under it. I also loved Oyster Girl Lipglass.

Edit to add me at prom:

prom7-edited.jpeg

I'm 99% sure I still have that Persona/Screen Vinyl duo! That white side got a lot of love from me back in the day.

For me it was definitely the dark grey side that got used up first lol. As proven by the pic I just added to my original post.

I kind of wish I still had it. I saw some on eBay but for a ridiculous amount of money.

I did my own prom makeup and got a ton of compliments on it at the time. I look back and I cringe at the serious lack of blending.

Clinique cream to powder foundation in ivory, Mac paradisco frost eyeshadow (just one color at a time at least until my Sr. Year!), Mac kohl pencil, Dior mascara, Mac spice pencil, Mac lust lip gloss. Free samples from Estée Lauder for my cheeks

Honestly, I really did not know how to properly apply makeup in high school. My routine was to slap on my Covergirl foundation and powder (that was too dark for my skin, as I recall), black eyeliner, mascara, fugly frosty pinkish gold lipstick, and clear lipgloss that made my lips look like I just ate greasy chicken. 😄

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • shaved2.jpg
  • upload_5870576752338090975.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 12.19.07 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 12.19.31 PM.png
  • prom7-edited.jpeg
  • HIGHSCHOOLMAKEUP.jpg
  • 241339_2074673264923_5231225_o.jpg
  • caitlincheer.jpg
  • highschool.jpg