Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Hey BTers ~ WE ARE FAMOUS!!!

Back in December a journalist by the name of Alana Massey visited our community (some of you might remember this) and asked for community members to volunteer to be interviewed for an article she was writing about the role of community forums in the beauty world.

Well, today is the BIG DAY that her article was released on RACKED.COM!!!

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 5.56.09 PM.png

I'm super excited by what she wrote and can not be happier by the way she portrayed our community. ENJOY OUR NEW FOUND FAME!!!!

Check it out - @Tamara76 @ZombieMetroAnt @angel7594 @KatieBT @alexasteph @pixiedust2 @tsavorite @Mcakes @veronika23

P.S. Everybody, tag more people that you think would enjoy reading this. Make sure to share the LOVE!!!

Re: Hey BTers ~ WE ARE FAMOUS!!!

I liked the article. 🙂

I remember this! I offered to be one of the people she interviewed but I got super busy and wasn't able to help out much, woops.

I don't know if anyone caught it but byrdie (dot com) ALSO posted an article about BT. The article was posted on March 30. If you just continue to scroll down their homepage eventually you'll hit it. The article name is "Sephora's Secret Online Community Is Like Reddit for Beauty Lovers." 

Oh boy, I hope we don't become Reddit... MUA or SCA (Makeup Addiction/Skincare Addiction) or those subforums.

I've heard of too many instances of drama in those places. Sure, BT has had its share of drama but I feel like we have maybe one notable incident a year and that's about it!

There is an article on Allure as well.

Untitled-1.jpg

@willa25,

Thank you for tagging me to this Thread.  I read the Racked.com article by Alana Massey.  I found it harmless.  I don't think anyone should ever spend a single moment worrying about it.  I also don't think that we are any less well-known now than we were before the article.

Cheers to BT!  🙂  Cheers to the llamas!  🙂

In case you are interested, while I was googling the Racked.com article about BT, I came across info that Alana Massey is the author of a new book,

"All The Lives I Want: Essays About My Best Friends Who Happen To Be Famous Strangers."

In 2018 she will have another new book, "Worth Less," about pay discrepancies between men and women.

@tsavorite - "Worth Less" has the potential to be interesting.  Growing up, women made $0.75 for every $1.00 a man made.  I've heard it's a little higher now ($0.77 or $0.78 now).  Since I have not heard of this writer, I will be interested in the quality of her research and the studies she uses for her facts.

It is their arrogance. 

Spoiler
Enter: Beauty Talk, Sephora's online community of people from all over the world that come together and help each other find the product that's worth their hard-earned money. Racked discovered Beauty Talk, and found that it's home to more than a million posts and replies, which makes it even more wild that it's stayed a relative secret — until now.

But, if it is a worldwide community with over a million posts.......how are they discovering BT???

@alexasteph @veronika23 @wheeeee @angel7594 @Tamara76, the only thing I mentioned to her was about my accident and how impressed and proud I was to be part of such a caring community.

I have absolutely no idea where she would have come up with the llamas. Wasn't that in a closed thread at a higher security level? 

I'm really sorry and saddened that so many of you didn't like the article. I was really excited to share it with all of you. I so love our community and was really excited that were spoken of so highly. I truly apologize if I have offended any of you in any way. Please know it was not my wholeheartedly not my intention.

@willa25 Basically ditto what everyone else said - you have nothing to apologize for! For me (other than feeling squicky about them posting links to threads), it's just a matter of, as @Asche said, feeling protective of our little corner of the internet. Please do not feel bad! ❤️ ❤️

@willa25 you have nothing to apologize for! 🙂 I said this in another thread but I think the article was thoughtful and the author really grasped the kindness that shines in our community here. This was going to be written with or without participation of BT members I'm sure (she could simply have gone through old posts where we list reasons why we enjoy posting here and just as easily have quoted those - they would have been fair game). The input you provided was nothing but positive so if you are feeling any remorse please don't. There is nothing to feel any guilt about. 

Oh @willa25 you so sweet! You clearly are just excited about our community as we all are and I thought it was a well written article as well. You have nothing to apologize for ❤  As mentioned below the security implications of this is what is most concerning- but that has nothing to do with you!

If anyone is interested, here are the questions that Alana asked in the PM:

"Thanks so much for responding to my post about the Racked story! So I've put together questions below that can be a guide but feel free to elaborate or go on a tangent if you feel moved to do so. Some of this stuff is pretty basic info gathering and if any question is just kind of boring, you can skip it. These are just jumping off points. Also, it is OK if you don't want to use your real name or username but we do ask that you give your age to demonstrate the diverse range of ages of community participants. Let me know how you'd prefer to be credited, the options are -Full real name -First name only - An alias first name, and on all of those, if you'd be OK with having us include your username as well. It's fine if not, whatever you're comfortable with. Thanks so much! 

1. When did you first join the Sephora community? Do you remember what compelled you to make an account and begin engaging by either writing a review or anwering questions?

2. What role does beauty play in your life? What misconceptions do you feel society has about people who care about beauty products?

3. Have you ever brought a beauty issue to the Sephora community and had it successfully remedied by product recommendations or other advice? Have you given such advice to others?

4. Do you consider the Sephora community a place for bonding over shared interests or does it feel mostly transactional? Is it a bit of both?

5. Do you trust the product reviews at Sephora more than other sources like magazines and beauty vloggers since they are user-generated and there are so many? Why or why not?

6. Do you have other beauty communities you belong to online? If so, how do they differ from Sephora's community?"

She did send a follow up question regarding how we control the trolls:

"(My name) thanks so much for your responses, they are super helpful. One follow up question that I am interested in is how you mentioned diffusing drama and eliminating trolls. I started this story trying to figure out how Sephora moderators managed to do it but the more I talk to community members, the more it appears that you are really a self-moderating community that elevates positivity and eliminates negativity on its own. What are some ways that you do this? If you have examples of troll-y threads or comments that the community has successfully made positive or gotten rid of, that would be great. Thanks again!"

I did not respond to this because this is when we got hit hard with that troll and had bigger fish to fry. 

I think that is the part I hated the most about the story.  When she went on about 'trolls.'   Trolls should get ZERO attention.  

@wheeeee - But negativity is what "sells" in any media--that's what's exciting!  Who wants to read about how well we get along; there's no excitement there.  But trolls, now that's exciting!

(Note:  I am being sarcastic.  This is exactly why I don't watch the news.  I'd rather hear the happy, people get along stories!)

@willa25 Do not fret my dear! My concerns regarding the article were not directed toward you in anyway. For those who participated in the article, it would be very exciting to see the published piece. For those who chose not to participate in the article but were included anyway, it's a little like "Um... there is a reason I didn't speak to the author at the time." 

My (and I think others) comments were not directed at you @willa25.  It was more about the exposure.   I remember when the writer came onboard asking if people wanted to talk about to her about this article she was writing. 

I am sure those that participated are happy. 

When I read her article it was spoken like a true outsider.  I still don't think she got BT!   What she said about the Mods is not true. This is not a chat room. They are not baby-sitters.    It is a business called Sephora and they are here to assist in customer service and promote products. 

It would be more interesting if one of the lovely BT'er wrote the article and submitted to one of those publications. 

@willa25 I think that the concern is more about how the author posted links to specific threads - frankly, I think the Allure BT article took that much further and they even used a photo someone posted in the highlight challenge (it's a good photo and she looks beautiful, as always, but I'm not sure she intended her pic to be picked up by a media outlet....).

I loved how the Racked author focused on empowerment and that the fact that we love makeup doesn't make us vapid, vain airheads.  💗

I know a lot of people have posted on BT in the past about how they really need this community because people in their daily life don't understand their obsession with skincare or makeup or nail polish or perhaps they are embarassed or don't know who to ask about a skin care or beauty problem they have.  That is the power of this community - not to mention all the fun times, joking, friendship and support. 💜💜💜

You did not offend me at all @willa25 ❤❤

@willa25  there is no need to apologize. I get it. I still love you! 😘 😘 😘

ETA: and yeah it's about exposure.

Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 5.56.09 PM.png
  • cry llama.gif
  • llamanewgroove1.gif
  • IMG_0711.JPG
  • Untitled-1.jpg