LindenAnn

Help enable me!!!

So here's the situation:

I work in a research lab. For most people this means you roll out of bed, throw on whatever is least wrinkled/doesn't smell too bad, run a brush through your hair once or twice, and maybe put on some powder. Maybe. (Sorry if anyone else here works in a lab and is offended, I don't mean anything by it, this is just my experiences in the last decade.)

But. My lab has recently moved to the VA hospital and is no longer on a college campus. This means a dress code! (oh, the horror!) It doesn't bother me at all, because I like to look pretty and don't mind an excuse to wear nice clothes. But it also means I feel really overdressed when I wear a full face or less of a neutral style makeup. Seriously, no one else wears makeup. At all. And I love red lips. Love love love. But every time I wear red lips to work I get Makeup Regret by about mid-morning. I leave my house thinking "Oh, this looks so awesome" but then I get so self-conscious about it I sometimes end up taking it off.

I need strength. Anyone else have this going on? Or do I just need to have more self confidence? lol

melde

Re: Help enable me!!!

(0) Hearts

Hehe, I work in a small office with no dress code. I can dress up if I want to, but most days I end up wearing a t shirt and jeans and red lipstick, sooooo, yeah.... I'm a big fan of "do whatever you want". My coworkers are used to it by now.

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

Go for it girl!  I've always been a fan of the quote dress for the job u want, not the job u have....and even if u want the current job, u dress in what makes u feel confident.  

and yes, u will look like one of those hot women on tv that wears a lab coat and heels.  Love it!

nebel

Hahaaha, I wish I worked in a lab with a dress code.  Because you put it perfectly...   "For most people this means you roll out of bed, throw on whatever is least wrinkled/doesn't smell too bad, run a brush through your hair once or twice, and maybe put on some powder. Maybe."  THIS IS SO TRUE.

LindenAnn

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I know! It cracks me up though, because the dress code is pretty much "don't wear jeans" and so people wear stuff like cargo pants. Technically I guess that works but somehow I don't think that's what was meant. lol

LindenAnn

What serendipitous timing! The director of the center just complimented me, saying that he liked how I always looked classy and stylish, and that my makeup was perfect!

I hope he wasn't just being creepy. I've only ever seen him in 3-peice suits, so I'm hoping it was sincere.

wingatprsct

There's your answer!  People do notice when someone looks nice, attractive, and well put-together.  I do, no matter what their size or shape. It shows you care about yourself to want to look your best.  Now, hopefully when promotions come along, you'll be remembered, in a good way.

Plantgarden

Agree!  And if he's sporting a three piece,.. I'd take that as sincere!

Next, you'll be running the place!

missey1973

(0) Hearts

Thanks LILYYY. That is good advice.

kariyava

(0) Hearts

What type of red do you wear?  Have you tried a sheer red or a more neutral brown/red?  I like the semi-natural red look myself and love lippies like Clinique's Different Lipstick in Tenderheart (a very wearable, pretty, neutral red) http://www.sephora.com/different-lipstick-P122722?skuId=70409 or the sheer red tint I get from Fresh Sugar Passion http://www.sephora.com/sugar-lip-treatment-spf-15-P57002?skuId=1448372.

LindenAnn

(0) Hearts

I have very dark rose lips naturally, so when I do wear lipstick it's usually a neutral which ends up looking like a kind of darkish red/brown neutral instead of the lighter color it's supposed to be. I really like the rich true reds though. My current favorite is Bite Beauty's Tannin, but I've worn it like 4 times since I've gotten it, and only once to work. It is definitely very dramatic. I've tried the Fresh Sugar Cherry but it didn't look very good since you could tell through the sheer red that my lips were a dark rose. Usually sheers don't look that good on me unless I put foundation over my lips first, and that lasts all of about 15 minutes.

missey1973

(0) Hearts

I forgot to add that you should do what you are comfortable with and if you want to do red lips, do it!

missey1973

(0) Hearts

I work in a lab type environment that has a dress code. I also work with almost all men in a highly competitive job. I love makeup but when I wear it to work I fell like people out side the lab think I got my job for the wrong reasons. So because of that, I try to keep my make up natural. That means the only time I really get to play in my makeup is on the weekends. It is funny to see me all dress up at the grocery store. LOL

lilyyy

[ Edited ]

Look at what the highest-level female executive is doing and copy her. My ex-boss (very famous, very poweful) would look tan in the wintertime, full makeup, full hair done, $5000+ handbags. She wore everything like it was a power suit.

lilyyy

I have always thought that some makeup makes you appear more put together and professional. Even if the other women wear no makeup, don't stoop to their level. Dress sharply if that's what you prefer. It projects a better image.

calamityjane85

Wear it and flaunt it. You will look like one of those sexy lab ladies on tv. 

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

Hilarious

ChicDabbler

Yup, same here w/ the lab, which is why I usually don't wear make up. The first time I wore red lips, go big or go home, Lipsurgence in Fiery was the only thing I had. I was super shy so decided to wear it first for Halloween where everyone dress up (altho of a different type) so I don't feel as weird. With that say, I was cringing inside and blushing until I got a few compliments. There were some whispers and double take from guys that night at the party, but the second time I wore red lips, the impact has worn off, lol. Most ppl don't spare it another glance and the most reaction I got was "oh" and "going somewhere?" from a couple of guy friends.

I have no good girl friends who lives near me *sobs* which is why I run away here all the time, lol. Wear a red lip that you think make you look good, then wear it the whole day for 3 days (pick a holiday or a party/special occasion day so you have an excuse), and you will feel much better after the 3rd time I promise. =)

LindenAnn

(0) Hearts

Thanks, will try that the next time we have a work party! :smileyhappy:

bombshell30

(0) Hearts

Great advice beautytester!!!

bombshell30

(0) Hearts

First of all, your job sounds COOL!!!!!! I am also a huge fan of beautiful red lips. I always wanted to wear them but never felt like I could until one day I read an article in a magazine about a woman whose signature look was red lips & her experiences with it. She said this in the article and it's stuck with me: "red lipstick is to woman what a cape is to a super hero" and I thought YES!!!!!!!! I have worn red lipstick whenever I feel like it ever since. I also work in an environment where not everyone fixes up to the 9's.Certainly not lots of makeup. I am fine with that. I do me, and they do them. Isn't that part of the joy of being individuals? :smileywink: Be yourself. Wear your makeup! Be confident! Consider yourself enabled!!! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 31 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • lilyyy
    • ChicDabbler
    • bombshell30
    • makeupobesessed
    • nebel
    • wingatprsct