LindenAnn

Help enable me!!!

So here's the situation:

I work in a research lab. For most people this means you roll out of bed, throw on whatever is least wrinkled/doesn't smell too bad, run a brush through your hair once or twice, and maybe put on some powder. Maybe. (Sorry if anyone else here works in a lab and is offended, I don't mean anything by it, this is just my experiences in the last decade.)

But. My lab has recently moved to the VA hospital and is no longer on a college campus. This means a dress code! (oh, the horror!) It doesn't bother me at all, because I like to look pretty and don't mind an excuse to wear nice clothes. But it also means I feel really overdressed when I wear a full face or less of a neutral style makeup. Seriously, no one else wears makeup. At all. And I love red lips. Love love love. But every time I wear red lips to work I get Makeup Regret by about mid-morning. I leave my house thinking "Oh, this looks so awesome" but then I get so self-conscious about it I sometimes end up taking it off.

I need strength. Anyone else have this going on? Or do I just need to have more self confidence? lol

Plantgarden

Re: Help enable me!!!

You do you!    If you are doing a neutral face and red lips, beautiful!

Perhaps look at this another way,... There maybe someone who you brighten their day because of this.     You, a beautiful flower amongst a field a weeds :smileyhappy:

*Preparing soapbox*. What kind of research lab?

LindenAnn

It's kind of a weird cross-discipline environment. I work for the Indiana Center for Vascular Biology and Medicine but I have my doctorate in viral pathogenesis and immunology. So in reality that translates to looking at how chronic inflammatory conditions/infections (particularly HIV) affect the vasculature. I have several different projects that seem like they have no relation at first but all tie back to that. (emphysema treatment, mechanisms of HIV-induced cardiovasular disease, and inflammation-induced loss of vascular stem cells).

ghkim

(0) Hearts

i think if you are only in the lab, you can pretty much look however you want. if you are interacting with patients, however, i think you need to be more professional/appropriate in your look in order to help make patients feel comfortable and confident. either way, you can get away with red lips, especially if they are in a sheer formulation, like ysl sheer candy balms. and if you are not interacting with patients at all, then by all means, go for it with stila beso!

as an aside, have you looked at all into asthma-related inflammation and if so does that lead to vascular pathology as well?

LindenAnn

Pretty much all inflammation leads to vascular pathology. (side note, glucose is extremely inflammatory for endothelium, try to limit sugar, it's awful for your vasculature. Awful.) That said, acute inflammation like what is most common in asthma isn't nearly as detrimental. It's there, it's gone, your cells move on. Also, a lot of inflammatory molecules have different effects in low vs. high concentrations. So an acute, high concentration has a different effect than a low, chronic concentration which is the one that is worst from a vascular standpoint.

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

*holding breath*. Is this research done on animal or human subjects?

LindenAnn

[ Edited ]

We mostly use cells from human volunteers/surgery patients, because 1) mouse models aren't really applicable for working with endothelial progenitor cells or HIV except in a few not-terribly-biologically-relevant cases (and monkey models are both a bureaucratic nightmare and more expensive than me) and 2) we try to focus on translational clinical research, so are more likely to be working on clinical trials for eventual FDA approval.

That said, we do have a mouse emphysema model. *cringes and ducks flying objects* Does it help that I always silently thank the mice for their contribution to science and health before working with them? I think people think I'm weird.

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

O.O    *will be nice today*    Only if they died a peaceful way and do not suffer.  

LindenAnn

Oh yeah, that's always a given. I think people don't have a very realistic idea of how animal work is done. It's very quick and painless, and the mice are completely anesthetized first just to make doubly sure they don't suffer.

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

I work in a military hospital - so probably a similar work environment. About 1/2 the women I work with are in uniform and don't wear any make-up at all. Of the civilian women many go for the low-maintenance look. I just go for it - I like make-up, I like nice clothes - sometimes high heels (I can't take them for as long as I used to), I like jewelry. My experience is that as long as you aren't over the top (e.g. pink sequins, too short skirts, FMP shoes) that everyone around you gets used to your "look" - and that will make you feel more comfortable too.

Why not find 2 or 3 looks you like - e.g. a classic red lip, one w/ daytime dramatic eyes, etc. and practice wearing that a few times a week until you are comfortable with it. 

camiah

More confidence! Wear your makeup and rock your outfit and feel fabulous. Life is too short to be self-conscious. I wear more makeup at work now than most people, even with my relatively conservative makeup. Honestly, you're more focused than other people are on it. It is rather freeing to realize that no one cares as much as you think they do. Wear your makeup with abandon and feel good. If you love red lipstick, then wear it and love it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 31 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • lilyyy
    • ChicDabbler
    • bombshell30
    • makeupobesessed
    • nebel
    • wingatprsct