Having a SA argue with you?

mdelrosario91

Having a SA argue with you?

[ Edited ]

Does this ever happen to anyone? Okay wait, let me rephrase because that's probably happened to almost everyone here... does anyone have any stories to share when a SA disagrees with you or points out that you're basically, well..wrong about a product?

I have a few stories. One time at MAC, I wanted to exchange MAC Brave because it didn't look as great as it did when I tried it out in the store. I told the SA that I didn't like the color because it made my lips look washed out and had a pearly/frosty look to it. " Here's how our conversation went:

Me: I wanted to exchange a lipstick. When I tried it out at home, it looked different and kinda washed me out. Also, there's a bit of a pearly appearance which probably was the cause of making me washed out

SA: Oh no, this has no pearl finish, (swatches on her hand) See, none at all. It looks fine on you.

Me: ........well when I checked the MAC website, the description of the lipstick states "pink-beige with white pearl"

SA: I don't know, but I definitely do not see a white pearl here. (swatches again) I don't see anything at all. It's probably because this is a Satin lipstick.

Me: A satin finish just makes it semi-matte though, it's pearly.. the color itself states that there's white pearl..

SA: No, it's the satin finish. That makes it pearly.  There's no white pearl in the actual lipstick.

Me: .........I just want to exchange this lipstick for MLBB color.

I ended up getting MAC Cosmo. Ugh, that lady was annoying. Tried to sell me some lipliner too.

Another one was in Sephora, when I went back to exchange my MUFE Mat Velvet + because it oxidized on me, so I wanted a lighter shade.  I had 45, and wanted to get 35. The lady kept stating that the foundation is oil-free, therefore it does not oxidize, this does not happen, it's "basically impossible." She also kept interrupting me with "No's" when I was saying that I noticed the foundation got darker, and I missed a spot by my outer cheek, near the ear, so I was able to tell that, whoa, my foundation got darker. She also said that I probably got lighter over time after I told her that I just bought the foundation a few days ago. I just wanted to be like, LISTEN B---- and bring out my sassy side LOL

Anyone have any frustrating encounters? Haha

daeidre

Re: Having a SA argue with you?

[ Edited ]

I was at The Bay's beauty gala last year and I sat down on a stool next to Shiseido to put a couple of things in my bag, etc. Without me even indicating an interest in her products, the Shieseido lady started telling me how she had the perfect skincare range for me "to help with breakouts and large pores". I wasn't wearing makeup at the time and I would have had maybe two pimples? I kind of stared at her for a minute wondering how on Earth she thought it was okay to say that, and when I tried to be polite and say "no, thanks, I like what I'm using" she went on and on about how the Ibuki range was SO much better than anything I could possibly be using, blah blah blah. Woman, stop, I didn't even ASK you for your opinion in the first place!

Oh, and then there was the woman in Shoppers (who I swear is there every single time I go in without fail). I bought one of their in-house brand Quo's Christmas palettes, wore it once, then went to return it because there was far too much fall-out and it irritated my eyes. I normally don't have a problem with eyeshadow and in the pan it didn't look like a glitterbomb. She acted as if I was daft for trying that brand to begin with when there are other brands labelled hypoallergenic. I tried to explain to her that this isn't a regular issue for me and I've used nearly every drugstore brand before without problems. A couple of weeks later I go in to return a Soap and Glory mask which turned out to have a peppermint tingle in it which I know my skin reacts to. There was absolutely zero mention on the packaging that it tingles and again she was all "oh, but that's obviously too harsh for your skin!". The ingredients list looked fine, how was I supposed to know? Just let me do my returns, which are fully within your policy, and stop being a **bleep**!

emmamaybe

This happened to me once.  I was at a walgreens type store in australia (Priceline).  They recently started selling real techniques brushes.  I went in for a look at something else and someone asked if they had the "Samantha chapman" brushes, to which the SA gave a sassy no.  Well I was standing right next to them, and I said excuse me, you do actually sell them and pointed the rt brushes out.  The SA glsred at me until I left and she is always nasty when I go in there now.

daeidre

(0) Hearts

Haha, Priceline is normally pretty good but I've definitely learnt not to ask about new products because chances are nobody knows they even exist. I only succeeded once, and that was when the L'Oreal lip stain things came out. The girl was wonderful and even though they weren't on the shelf yet, went out the back and got the testers for me to play with.

bad823

Yes, the girl at the Lancome counter.  She argued with me about everything we talked about.  I could tell she was in a bad mood so I very politely excused myself & got the heck out of there.

jenjendoitagain

The Lancome counter at my local Belks has a rude young lady there all the time as well. Anytime I'm asking her about products she isn't knowledgeable at all and just kind of 'wings it' by telling me some nonsense. If I try to correct her or tell her that doesn't sound right, she starts raising her voice with me. Sometimes I wonder how some people work in retail. If you don't like people, or know how to communicate with them respectably, don't work in customer service.

BrennaBombshell

Every single time I've gone into the local MAC store, the SAs have been horrible to me. :smileysad: They ignore me, and when I finally get their attention to ask them a question, they act like I'm just ruining their day. I can't stand when people act like doing their job is a gift to me. Like...without people like me who go in, willing to spend oodles of cash, you wouldn't HAVE a job. I've completely stopped going to MAC because of it, and now Sephora gets all of my business. The SAs there treat me with nothing but respect and are awesome, even if the store is ridiculously busy, they at least tell me they'll be with me as soon as they can.

End0ra

(0) Hearts

I was going to post this exact same comment - and I'm posting from Australia.  It doesn't matter whether it's a stand alone store or a concession in a department store, the attitude is always the same from the MAC people.  The world over, it would seem!  I'm never rude, and I usually go in knowing exactly what I want, so it's not like I'm wasting their precious time while I make up my mind about something.  I just need them to acknowledge my presence and get the thing out of the drawer please, so I can buy it.

In contrast, I always find that the ladies at Benefit and Clarins are really nice.  And some years ago now, I had two super-dooper chicks at the Chanel counter at Saks in NYC.  They were hilarious, beautiful, and very generous with the samples.

SailorStacy

Yes.  At tim Horton.  I used to get decaf coffee and one day she piped up and asked when I'm due.

Me. I'm not pregnant.  I just carry all my weight there

Her.  Yes you are.

Me.  No, really I'm not.

Her.  Yes you are.  That's why you drink decaf

Me.  No  I'm not.  I would know if I was pregnant.

Her.  Your secret is safe with me.

I tried to shake it off, but really she was adamant that I was preggers.  I sure wish I was.  Then I'd have an excuse.....smh

End0ra

(0) Hearts

HA!  That kinda looks to me like she was horrified with herself at the faux pas, but her back-pedalling was just as clumsy as saying the stupid thing in the first place.

mdelrosario91

(0) Hearts

WOW that is so rude! I'm sorry you had to go through that, it must've been really frustrating! Who the heck does she think she is to know if you're pregnant or not, HELLO, whose body is it?! I just can't stand ignorant and smug people, sorry.

kristallovesdogs

That is hilarious.  And offensive.  But so randomly offensive that it just makes it even more hilarious.

jenjendoitagain

Oh my gosh! That is horrible!!! Like IttyBitty said, I probably would have given her some choice words! So sorry that happened :smileysad:

IttyxBittyxMe

I'd be furious honestly and would have probably lost my temper with her and slung a few choice words. Bad words. 

LCResz

Usually I want to corrct the SA, especially with the proper pronunciation of things! Say it with me:

Givenchy: Pronunciation: jhee-von-SHEE ; NOT gee-vin-chee

L'Occitane: Pronunciation: lox- ee- tahn: NOT le-octane

i could go on and on, but I have heard these two brands mispronounced by SAs and when I pronounce them correctly they about lose their minds thinking I am some pretentious fancypants. Nope, I just know that if I gonna drop that kind of coin I want to say it right!

MlleCC

[ Edited ]

Gahh and here I though I was the only one who is bothered by pronunciation. Everyone around me just tells me to stop because I was being snobby! I went to Sephora the other day to look for a foundation with a similar consistency and coverage as Guerlain's Lingerie de Peau. The SA told me immediately that she wouldn't know anything about it since Sephora doesn't carry that brand. When I told her that she was standing in front of the display, she goes "Oh, you mean the Gar-LAN Skin Fusion Foundation!" But of course, Gar-LAN.

pinkonyx

[ Edited ]

Personally I want to be corrected. I do not think it's offensive at all to be corrected if you're saying something wrong. Why would anyone be offended if they're being corrected? Personally I'd rather have somebody tell me I'm saying something wrong then continue for the rest my life's pronouncing something wrong!

MlleCC

Agreed! And surely there is always a polite way to correct someone, no? :smileyhappy:

AKRinNY

WHY IS THERE NO BT THREAD OF CORRECT PRONUNCIATIONS?!

yes I am yelling! I am a crotchety old lady who wants to know how to ask for them newfangled cosmetic items without you young whippersnappers laughing at me!

I mean really, how do you pronounce Omorovicza anyway?

jozkid

Well, apparently I've been pronouncing Anastasia incorrectly (she hangs her head in shame and skulks away). :smileysad:

Hey, if they ever come out with any high-end German brands, I'm your go-to girl! All those years of making sounds like I'm scrocking something up from the back of throat will have paid off!

malday

Somebody should really make a pronunciation post! I've seen a hard to pronounce designer list floating around the internet but not many beauty brand ones.

mafan

A thread of correction pronunciations would be great.  And in answer to your question -- I don't!  I swear there are some words I just avoid.  I took enough French to be fine with L'Occitane, Guerlain, Givenchy, etc, but I have no clue how I would ask for Omorovicza and Shiseido still trips me up.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 105 replies
  • 254 hearts
  • 61 in conversation
    • lovinglondon
    • sephoramusthave
    • malday
    • marydiva
    • kristallovesdogs
    • Manda