mdelrosario91

Having a SA argue with you?

[ Edited ]

Does this ever happen to anyone? Okay wait, let me rephrase because that's probably happened to almost everyone here... does anyone have any stories to share when a SA disagrees with you or points out that you're basically, well..wrong about a product?

I have a few stories. One time at MAC, I wanted to exchange MAC Brave because it didn't look as great as it did when I tried it out in the store. I told the SA that I didn't like the color because it made my lips look washed out and had a pearly/frosty look to it. " Here's how our conversation went:

Me: I wanted to exchange a lipstick. When I tried it out at home, it looked different and kinda washed me out. Also, there's a bit of a pearly appearance which probably was the cause of making me washed out

SA: Oh no, this has no pearl finish, (swatches on her hand) See, none at all. It looks fine on you.

Me: ........well when I checked the MAC website, the description of the lipstick states "pink-beige with white pearl"

SA: I don't know, but I definitely do not see a white pearl here. (swatches again) I don't see anything at all. It's probably because this is a Satin lipstick.

Me: A satin finish just makes it semi-matte though, it's pearly.. the color itself states that there's white pearl..

SA: No, it's the satin finish. That makes it pearly.  There's no white pearl in the actual lipstick.

Me: .........I just want to exchange this lipstick for MLBB color.

I ended up getting MAC Cosmo. Ugh, that lady was annoying. Tried to sell me some lipliner too.

Another one was in Sephora, when I went back to exchange my MUFE Mat Velvet + because it oxidized on me, so I wanted a lighter shade.  I had 45, and wanted to get 35. The lady kept stating that the foundation is oil-free, therefore it does not oxidize, this does not happen, it's "basically impossible." She also kept interrupting me with "No's" when I was saying that I noticed the foundation got darker, and I missed a spot by my outer cheek, near the ear, so I was able to tell that, whoa, my foundation got darker. She also said that I probably got lighter over time after I told her that I just bought the foundation a few days ago. I just wanted to be like, LISTEN B---- and bring out my sassy side LOL

Anyone have any frustrating encounters? Haha

rjamlt

Re: Having a SA argue with you?

I never had a SA argue about a specific product but day after christmas I went into my 2nd closest Sephora and had a super duper ( insert dripping sarcasm ) interaction. Lets set the stage. [ disclaimer: this is not a rant about samples- though they play into it. ]

noonish- day after christmas- the mall is extremely busy and so is Sephora. I was there making a big purchase- but I don't pass up the chance to go in.  So I have now waited in a very packed checkout line to get some foundation face primer. Yay it's finally my turn!

SA #1: general friendly greeting--blah blah blah. ah you're rouge! let me grab you some samples. ( goes in search of mythical objects )

Me: great! blah blah- general thank you etc

SA#1 to SA#2: hey where did we put the samples? I can't find any and we have a red card here.

SA#2: We are not allowed to give out samples. ( said loudly enough to cause all surrounding SA's to stop and look )

ME: confused- um ok- not allowed?

SA#1: looks to SA#2 with confusion....

SA#2:No we gave away to many over the holidays. We can't give anymore. ( said even louder )

ME: ok then. thanks?

SA#2: Well we are just really busy. Can't you see?

SA#1: still stunned speechless. 

ME: looks to SA#1 - can i just check out please? ( SA#1 returns to register actually finish my transaction )

SA#2: rolls eyes at me and turns to SA#1- I suppose I could go make her one.....( clearly this was the last thing she wanted to do )

ME: No thank you.- you are just far to busy. I wouldn't want to impose. 

SA#2 Its only because we haven't gotten our restock yet.

ME: to SA#1 - receipt in the bag please. ( doing my best to ignore SA#2 )

I was fine not receiving samples- totally fine. It was all the SA#2 being so blatantly rude that she turned heads. lots of them- customers and SA's alike.

I did get in touch with the manager a bit later and she was so great. This one instance definitely didn't stop me from shopping, but it was a WOW moment and not for a good reason. Thank goodness its the only one I can think of. 

StyleLynn

Right after Christmas when the Marc Jacobs Lightshow Luminizing Powder went half price (It was $71 originally here) I went into my local Sephora to see if there was any in stock. There were none on the shelf so I asked a sales associate if they had any, she opened the drawer under their display and there were at least 10 of them. I mentioned them being on sale and she said "absolutely not! Maybe online they are but definitely not here!". The woman wouldn't even hand me the box, I told her regardless I was going to buy one and asked her if I could take one, she then informed me that it was $71, I told her I knew the price and that was fine. She let out a huge sigh and still held onto it after handing it to me for a second, like she didn't believe I could afford it. I picked up a few other items before going to the checkout, as soon as she saw me in line she ran upfront and just stood by the cashiers until I got to the front of the line. I asked the cashier to check the price, this woman was now standing next to the woman ringing me in, her eyes going right through me. The cashier confirmed what I already knew, that it was on sale, the other lady sighed again, said nothing and walked away. I had never seen this sales associate before and I have no idea what her issue was.

annec322

No chance I would not have complained to management.  You have more patience than I do.  Sorry this happened to you.

lilyyy

Next time that happens, get her name and report it to the manager or send corporate an email. You'll be doing the business and other customers a huge favor.

snowshoe

I've had rude SAs, condescending SAs, SAs who have ignored me, SAs who treated me like a poor relation, and SAs who looked at me like I was crazy because I dared to return Naked 3 because it was blah.  But I've yet to have one argue with me.

roxystar4

the SA's at my JCP sephora know me pretty well and I don't remember arguing with any of them (although I have had some disagreements about liking certain products).

Sometimes they will come up to me and ask me a question for another customer if they don't know the answer. 

I love my JCP girls :smileyhappy:

Missie772

(0) Hearts

Boo! That's horrible. I hate it when they try to argue with you and you know you are right!

AlwaysGlamorous

This one is kind of small but I once went to my local Sephora to pick up some last minute things before I left for vacation later that day. I made my Sephora errand my top priority and decided to just run out and get my shopping over with before I got ready for the day. When I got to Sephora, it was decently packed and I was glad because I didnt want to be bothered--just needed to grab my stuff and get out. That's when a Laura Mercier rep approached me and asked if I had ever filled in my brows before. I smiled warmly and told her that she caught me on an off day and that I filled in my brows daily. Well, this LM rep didn't believe me and insisted that she show me how to do it. I shrugged her off stating that I came in specifically for two products and again, I filled in my brows on the regular. She continued to look at me like I was lying under oath or something and then suddenly walked off without so much as a courtesy "good-bye". It was just freaking weird and I am totally biased against LM now because of that interaction. Anyways, I ended up having a phenom vacation during which, guess what, I filled in my brows. 

daeidre

Gosh I hate those people. Just because I'm not wearing makeup or not a full face doesn't mean I'm a complete beginner! I had a Clinique lady ask whether I realised the Chubby Sticks for eyes were eye shadows not lip colour. Firstly, they're in the 'eye' section of your display. Secondly, they're labelled 'for eyes'.

AlwaysGlamorous

WOW -______- It's so annoying too because you know they are only saying those things based off your appearance. 

AKRinNY

Lol! Really? If someone said that to me, well, I'd tell them all the jokes I have about the name Chubby Sticks :-P. That's so dumb. I'm pretty sure most people don't wear a black chubby stick for eyes as a lipstick.

AlwaysGlamorous

(0) Hearts

LOL thank you for that idea... :smileywink: 

shapeshifter

I work at retail store (not naming names in this thread!) and I never never argue about a return, but man, it's almost hard to hold back tears sometimes! Remember the destroyed makeup art thread? That's what happens when you return even an unopened product that you bought online into a store that doesn't currently stock the product. Yesterday a girl returned a BNIB flowerbomb gift set that was so beautiful! She ordered it online and returned it to our store that doesn't carry it. Soon to be destroyed! So sad ;o( I feel like if people knew that's what happened, less people would return in a different method that they purchased.

ChicDabbler

Can't they make it into a tester? I know it's risky with some skincare and makeup since you don't know what people do, but perfumes? c'mon. 

And if it's gonna be destroyed....why can't you have them? purchase for a discounted price?

shapeshifter

(0) Hearts

We could if it was something that was currently in stock, but not all the stores carry the same items, and this was one that we don't carry ;o( 

shortstuff07

They don't allow it because someone would inevitably have a friend buy the product, return it at full price, and then the SA or whomever would buy it at a discount.  Plus it opens up a liability if the product was tampered with or used.  :smileysad:

shapeshifter

(0) Hearts

Hit the nail in the head! It's still so unfair!

annec322

[ Edited ]

I don't mean to sound terrible because I do understand your point...but if I bought an expensive item and for whatever reason, didn't think I could use it, I would return it even knowing it would be destroyed. To me, this is a policy that the store needs to change.  It shouldn't mean that customers can't take advantage of an advertised return policy.  I shop many places based on return policies; if I cant return easily, I won't shop there.  I just feel that the corporate policy needs to change, not the customers making returns.  (Btw, I do work in customer service also :smileyhappy: )

shortstuff07

Should you be allowed to return?  Yes.  Should there be a better option than destroying brand new product?  Yes.  There should at least be an option to send the brand new items that aren't sold at that location to the warehouse.  Getting rid of brand new product for that reason is what makes costs go up over all, and a lot of returns, online in particular, can hurt the budget of a store and cause them to cut hours.  (The return reflects only on the location, not online, which is stupid.)  Again, I agree that corporate needs to make these fixes, and customers shouldn't suffer for it, but I don't think the employees should either.

kristallovesdogs

Are the employees allowed to purchase them?  At my local Sephora, the employees always love it when I return items sold exclusively on-line, because if they are unopened they are allowed to purchase them with their employee discount.

annec322

[ Edited ]

One particular situation comes to mind.  I wanted to buy a turquoise eye liner for summer one year.  The particular mall I was at didn't have a MAC and this was before a Sephora or Ulta existed in my area (those were dark times indeed).  So, I went to the Lancôme counter at Macys and it went like this:

SA: hi, can I help you?

me: yes, I wanted to know if you had any bright blue eye liners?

SA: bright blue? No, you don't want to use bright blues, you want to use navy eyeliner (proceeds to show me a navy one)

me: no, I want bright blue.  So, you don't have any?

SA: no, you don't want bright color, it's dark colors that look good on the eyes

and I wasn't rude, I just thanked her and left...but what I wanted to say was "nooooo, you obviously like navy eyeliner. I want a bright one.  I ended up having to go to the other mall that did have MAC.  Where I did find the product, so maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't always want a dark color.  Sigh.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 106 replies
  • 257 hearts
  • 62 in conversation
    • lovinglondon
    • sephoramusthave
    • malday
    • marydiva
    • kristallovesdogs
    • Manda