mdelrosario91

Having a SA argue with you?

[ Edited ]

Does this ever happen to anyone? Okay wait, let me rephrase because that's probably happened to almost everyone here... does anyone have any stories to share when a SA disagrees with you or points out that you're basically, well..wrong about a product?

I have a few stories. One time at MAC, I wanted to exchange MAC Brave because it didn't look as great as it did when I tried it out in the store. I told the SA that I didn't like the color because it made my lips look washed out and had a pearly/frosty look to it. " Here's how our conversation went:

Me: I wanted to exchange a lipstick. When I tried it out at home, it looked different and kinda washed me out. Also, there's a bit of a pearly appearance which probably was the cause of making me washed out

SA: Oh no, this has no pearl finish, (swatches on her hand) See, none at all. It looks fine on you.

Me: ........well when I checked the MAC website, the description of the lipstick states "pink-beige with white pearl"

SA: I don't know, but I definitely do not see a white pearl here. (swatches again) I don't see anything at all. It's probably because this is a Satin lipstick.

Me: A satin finish just makes it semi-matte though, it's pearly.. the color itself states that there's white pearl..

SA: No, it's the satin finish. That makes it pearly.  There's no white pearl in the actual lipstick.

Me: .........I just want to exchange this lipstick for MLBB color.

I ended up getting MAC Cosmo. Ugh, that lady was annoying. Tried to sell me some lipliner too.

Another one was in Sephora, when I went back to exchange my MUFE Mat Velvet + because it oxidized on me, so I wanted a lighter shade.  I had 45, and wanted to get 35. The lady kept stating that the foundation is oil-free, therefore it does not oxidize, this does not happen, it's "basically impossible." She also kept interrupting me with "No's" when I was saying that I noticed the foundation got darker, and I missed a spot by my outer cheek, near the ear, so I was able to tell that, whoa, my foundation got darker. She also said that I probably got lighter over time after I told her that I just bought the foundation a few days ago. I just wanted to be like, LISTEN B---- and bring out my sassy side LOL

Anyone have any frustrating encounters? Haha

malday

Re: Having a SA argue with you?

Shiseido is definitely She-say-doe, it's Japanese right? 

I went to google and found a blog that claims Omorovicza is Oh - more - o - veet - za. Hmmm.

IllegallyBlonde

yes yes yes. Constantly correcting people about how to say "Louboutin." It's Loo-Boo-tahn... Not "Loo Bootin!" Or my other favorite lao-bow(pronounced like how) tin. Sounds like "How bout it!"

DesertRose0706

how do you pronounce "Guerlain"?  I google it the other day but couldnt find anything conclusive!

malday

Guerlain is Gair (rhymes with air) -lahn if that makes sense. The only things I really took out of my French Spanish and Japanese classes were how to pronounce foreign beauty brands haha.

IllegallyBlonde

Yea I definitely pronounce that wrong, I've been saying "grrr-lane" haha

marydiva

(0) Hearts

me too! XD 

lovinglondon

For french brands google "How do you pronounce French brands???" and you'll find a youtube video by LifeInColors55. Very helpful!!

I used to shy away from saying brand names because I hate mispronouncing words. 

rdesigns

I have been trying to figure out Omorovicza for a while! lol!  I just wing it and pronounce it phonetically :smileyhappy:

kittycarlisle

In Canada Sephora doesn't carry Drybar products but you can buy them online. I was unaware of this and was looking and asked a SA where it was. The SA corrected me "you mean dry shampoo." I just couldn't resist so I pressed the issue and added that Drybar products were bright yellow and she continued to blather on about dry shampoo. At that point I just left and ordered online.

Manda

[ Edited ]

I posted this before as a complaint but I had one SA in Sephora ignore me and basically try to thrust acne products at me because my skin was "not in the best condition". And this was after I told her I have sensitivity to most acne products. :/

And the manager found out about it and sent me in e-mail, apologizing for my experience and offered me a free makeover plus send me a 500 perk for free that I wanted as well as loads of samples.

lovinglondon

(0) Hearts

I remember when you shared this. I'm glad the manager reached out to you. 

Manda

(0) Hearts

I was actually surprised I was contacted and the goodies I was sent was amazing. Loads of 500 point perks as some of the bags where you have to spend a certain amount. She felt so bad that I was embarrassed,

tashalicious

wow, no that's never happened to me in a makeup store, i did have a problem once when i went into a Godiva Chocolate shop, i ordered a pound of chocolate covered grapes with champagne inside, something that i bought from them all the time and the SA insisted that they had no such candy even though i was pointing it out, she also insisted that they didn't 1 lb boxes, and they never have, so i had argue with her to use the scale to measure my 1 lb of candy, she then acted as though i was being pain in her **bleep**. it was just frustrating because i went in there and ordered the same thing i always ordered, but  she wasn't the same SA that usually helped me, and i really got the impression that she just didn't want to serve me.

jojobe

I don't know how I lived without knowing about that product, but now that I do, Godiva, here I come...lol

NurseCupcake

(0) Hearts

I agree! that sounds amazing!

firefly02

I had a lot of arguments (it's funny, but most of them were when I wasn't wearing a lot of makeup), but the one that comes to mind is the following scenario (also at a Mac), which was more of general weirdness than an actual argument, but what the heck:

Me: I want to return this.

SA: REALLY???? Are you sure?

**All the other SAs coming closer when seeing the product (it was a cream highlighter, and the color was just too much to use on an everyday basis), and starting to look at the product like Gollum looks at the ring, or those hyenas from the Lion King look at anything edible, and looking at me like I was insane**

Me: Yes, I just wouldn't really use this product, and I'd rather get something I'd actually, you know, use.

**"What is she out of her mind" looks**

SA: Are you sure? You could blend it into your foundation yada yada...

Me: Yeah but it's just too dark, I don't wear foundation so I wouldn't really use it.

SA: It's one of the best selling items, I mean, I wouldn't mind you returning it since we all want it, it's sold out so quickly...

**All the SAs coming even closer**

Me: Yep, I'm sure.

SA: fine, let's find you something else.

The stares and the attitude, jeez... didn't return to that Mac after that.

jaimelove

haha i had a very similar experience when i returned orgasm to sephora :smileyhappy: it just doesn't work with my rosacea unfortunately... of course the SA was super sweet and understanding when explained it to her (after her eyes about popped out of her head haha) and made a suggestion for something that would work for me, since she has the same problem :smileyhappy: 

IllegallyBlonde

So weird, I thought I was one of the only people ever who wasn't an Orgasm fan. It just doesn't work for me, and I was told it was a "universal" shade so I just thought I was strange :smileyvery-happy: 

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I'm not either. I actually really love it mixed with other fdns but not solo

jaimelove

(0) Hearts

i am glad i am not alone :smileywink: it's so pretty, but it just makes me look like a clown! then again, anything that isn't rose gold toned does that to me :smileysad: 

pinkonyx

Okay I work at a store, and after years of working there I have learned to never argue with customers even if they are wrong.  For instance I will have customers with pitch black Colored hair and they want to go blonde but they don't want to use bleach. I try to explain to them what that it is close to impossible to do. Then they will proceed to tell me, I'm wrong and that they have friends who did it Without bleach. (inside my head I'm thinking, well why did you ask me then?) BUT I will not argue with them,  that's rude. I politely try to tell them Im sorry I couldn't help. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 105 replies
  • 254 hearts
  • 61 in conversation
    • lovinglondon
    • sephoramusthave
    • malday
    • marydiva
    • kristallovesdogs
    • Manda