kimmi1115

Haven't Had A New Cut/Style In A LONG Time

This is a major beauty confession for me.  Although I do get my hair trimmed on a regular basis, I haven't had a new cut/style in a long, long time.  I've had it pretty much the same with only slight differences since HIGH SCHOOL, and I'll be going into my fourth year of college this coming Fall.  Same part.  All cut to the same length.  It's time for a change, especially since my education classes are really taking off.  I'll be observing my mentor teacher next Spring, and I want to be taken seriously.  Some people say I look like I'm in middle school or high school, and that is a very nice compliment.  However, I don't know how school systems feel about teachers who may look more like students.

I want a change, but I'm a bit of a chicken.  I also have no idea where to start!  I'm a chicken because I had my hair cut too short before.  Short hair is a no-no for someone with naturally thick, curly hair.  Heck, I was picked on in middle school just for the fact it was curly, and gum tossed in your hair is not fun.  However, that all completely changed in high school, although I was not quick to believe people's compliments.  I am going to talk to my future mother-in-law about ideas since she does hair, but I need all the advice I can get since I'm a chicken lol.  I mainly wear my hair in these styles depending on the weather and what I'm doing:

• Completely down
  • down with sections pulled back and secured with snap clips and bobby pins
  • braided pig tails
  • normal pony tail
  • pinned up pony tail
  • messy bun pony tail

To give you an idea of the slight changes, here's my Senior year formal picture by the crappy photographer that makes people look really pale (you should see some others in the year book).  I'm a 2010 graduate.  You can see how the curl can be at times.  It can curl differently depending on the weather and whatnot.

formal.jpg

A much more recent picture with my hair shorter and sections pinned back.  A new photographer needed help building her portfolio with her new equipment, and Lanndan and I were her guinea pigs lol.  It is still all the same length.  Bangs have also been evil with me lol.

one.jpg

Here's another recent one with Meat Head.  :smileyhappy:  Right as I took the picture, he turned his face to give me surprise sugar.  "Meat Head!" lol.  Anyway, my hair is pulled back in a pinned up pony tail, another style from the high school days.

969059_646201102060315_996355656_n.jpg

Hair completely down.

935233_640128636000895_146860708_n.jpg935233_640128636000895_146860708_n.jpg

Another pinned up pony tail that shows more of my face shape.  I know face shape can affect hair styles or something like that.

295300_642000322480393_1781840849_n.jpg

I hope the info and pics can help with any  advice.  I do like my curls when they do what I want, but sometimes they're stubborn lol.  Since I'm wanting a change, I am beyond clueless as to where to start.

runy

Re: Haven't Had A New Cut/Style In A LONG Time

First, can I say Kimmi- you are so pretty!  Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. 

I hear you about the change.  I think a lot of people may assume the "middle school" look because you have a young face.  I say embrace that, because after like 25 you're always trying to look young lol.  I def think dressing a certain way would help look more mature as well.  I used to be the youngest person in my office when I first joined the workforce, and right now I'm still one of the youngest but a manager.  I dress like a manager.  My face is very "cutesy" young but my hair and makeup/dress is done like a professional.  However, it's ok to embrace that you are young.

I looked up some hairstyles that might work for you, depending on what you're looking for.

(I'm having issues with inserting images here lately.  I've provided some links)

Short, like a bob ( i know you said no-no, but you can take it a bit longer)

http://myhair-cuts.blogspot.com/2010/07/curly-hair-cut-short.html

layered

http://myhair-cuts.blogspot.com/2010/07/curly-hair-cut-short.html

You can also take off a little length for managability and go ombre.  It's also not a bad idea to get a consulting at your salon.  They can give you some ideas.

BTW wtg on the change.  I'm about to get a long bob in a week or two- I haven't had hair that short since 10 years ago!!

kimmi1115

Thank you, and it is really good to know someone has gone through something similar.  I like how you pointed out wearing makeup in a professional manner.  Ever since I got the first Naked palette over a year ago, some of the looks I play around with are good for school and the work force.  I especially love the Naked Basics palette.  There's no way I would wear UD's Woodstock to any of my Education observations! lol.

I am going to look into some pictures of layers and colors.  Ombre sounds like a cool idea with curls.

Awesome for your change as well!  I bet you're excited for the upcoming new style!

liveinlovexx

I also have curly (More wavy hair actually) and I adore your hair! I think it looks fab, and you are very pretty and it flatters you lots! I think if you are sick of the same style, maybe go for a suttle change and maybe add a different color? Maybe put some layers in it or some longer bangs?

I don't really do hair or anything, but I can attest to the fact that I too get bored with my hair and am always nervous before changing something! But keep in mind, you are very beautiful already and there is seriously no change needed! Lucky you! :]

xoxo

kimmi1115

Thank you, that is so sweet.  Wavy and curly hair each have their own difficulties from time to time.  Both hair types have minds of their own lol.  

I never even thought about adding more color.  That would be much more simple, and the color would fade away before a bad hair cut grows out lol.  I've had highlights added before, but that's pretty much it.  

prettyinpa

As a gal whose hair won't hold a curl with less than a whole can of mousse, I really can't advise you on cuts and such, but you look lovely in your pictures, and so happy getting bloodhound smooches! lol

As for the philosophy of getting your hair restyled, I'd say, just wear it the way you like or find to be the most time effective. I wouldn't tack on additional time in the AM for a complicated hairstyle, it's much more important to be on time than have a specific hairdo. My physical therapist has curls like yours and she always looks professional by wearing a button down blouse and a tasteful length skirt or a dress that buttons up. I think the buttoning up aspect of an outfit signals professionalism (as long as you don't leave the top buttons undone down too low!) As you go about your daily life, observe how professional people dress (hang around the courthouse and check out women lawyers, see how women doctors dress, check out serious college professors and try to emulate their dressing style. 

I think how you act and dress matters more than your hairstyle, IMHO. 

kimmi1115

Thank you, prettyinpa, and Meat Head is just so full of love!  

I definitely don't want a style that takes more time in the morning, especially when I start observing my mentor teacher and whatnot.  I just hope I can find some dress clothes that fit well and look decent.  The juniors section can be quite limited at times lol.

prettyinpa

I completely understand your frustration at having to shop in the juniors section. A good tailor is essential!  Often really beautiful work clothes are available, but on me with my slender frame, they bag or hang funny. A tailor can do wonders for fit, and truthfully, most people don't actually find any off-the-rack clothes that fit perfectly on all parts of their bodies, but they wear ill fitting clothes anyways.

Plus if you have a good tailor, if you find an awesome outfit at a steal (like from an outlet), but it's slightly too big, they can take it in so it fits perfectly. Talk to the tailor first so they can inform you as to cost to get various tasks done. I went in for a fitting initially and discussed costs and what can be done and what can be done but costs a fortune. Too big is generally cheaper to alter than too small, unless it's only a tad small and the seam allowances are generous. It's surprisingly inexpensive to get some alterations done, and then you can shop in the professional clothes section. 

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I have the exact same problem with how clothes hang.  I end up looking a bit slouchy no matter how nice the outfit is.  I've never thought of looking for a tailor since it's not really advertised around here.  However, my two great aunts are amazing at sewing and whatnot.  I wonder if they can alter my clothes as a future graduation gift lol.

jennypenny1995

With natural curls myself, I feel your pain.  I'm a nurse, so appearing professional and functional are musts for me, too.  I think product makes a BIG differnece in keeping it long or just working with curls in general.  I use Aveda's Be Curly line and won't go without them.  For a time, I had a pixie cut which worked because it was short enough to cut the curl out.  Still have ppl ask me where my short cut is and how it was "the best".  But, I think most women can only carry longer hair for a window of time in their life before it needs to go somewhat shorter, so I'm growing it back out.  1.5 yrs into it, and it's just now hitting my collar.

For you, my feedback would be that you have a GORGEOUS face, so don't hide it behind hair.  I would cut some long layers into it for movement and then use the BE Curly line so you don't have too much product going in and making it look crunchy.  But, honestly, it could be awesome at your shoulders with side swept bangs.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

It is always nice to hear from a fellow curly girl! lol.  I have never noticed the Aveda products before.  I use different products from Sally's Beauty Supply.  Here are the products I used depending on the style, and the weather is also a factor:

Hair One Cleanser (sulfate free)

Nothing But Curl Wake Up Spray

Nothing Bur Pure Pudding (also for curls)

Biotera Styling Alcohol-Free Styling Mousse

Fusion Energy of Beauty Shaping Spray

I haven't had layers in years, and I don't remember much about them.  How are layers with thick curls?  Also how are curls with side swept bangs?  Since all my hair is the same length, I'm not sure how much of are my bangs lol.

jennypenny1995

Layers will be fine.  Just ask someone who has really, really great hair who cuts them, then go for consultation/cut.  It might be worth paying more to get the cut right the first time and then go to whomever you like to maintain it.  Be sure to ask if the stylisJana's long experience with curly hair first, though.

be careful about Brazilian blowouts.  The chemicals they use on those are toxic.  So much so that some salons use gas masks for the client whereas.  Attractive!

when you think of long layers, think of Kate Middleton.  While hers is naturally wavy, the layers are long, not choppy, so it creates movement.

I highly recommend going ASAP to get on Aveda's Be Curly line.  You can Google a salon near you that sells them.  Or, you can go to Aveda dot com and do a search using your zip code for one of their salons.  You can even get your hair cut there, too.  All Aveda salons tend to be extremely reputable because Aveda insists on certain qualities in order for their line to be sold there.  

Please DM me a pic of what you end up doing!  I don't log on here daily, but your personal message will flag me in my email.  Use that Be Curly line!!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I don't think I'll go with the Brazilian blowout.  I want my curls to stay lol.  My future mother-in-law suggested layers, and maybe an a symmetrical cut.  I gotta google for what that looks like exactly.  

I will definitely google the Be Curly line.  I'll also ask my future mother-in-law if the stores she shops for her supplies carries the line.  

Thank you again for the information.  I still have some thinking to do, but I will let you know how things go when they occur.

jennypenny1995

FYI: Aveda is not sold in beauty supply stores.  Go to their website to do a search for a salon near your zip code.

ktw01

The Brazilian Blowout is really something to consider. It's a change that's not permanent. you could even try semerging as simple as parting it on the side. 

I'm in my mid 40's, I have the same hair as you, and I love I love the blowout! You can let it air dry and it wil be straight as a board. I've been getting it done for the last 3 years. Mine lasts about 6 months each. 

Good luck in whatever you decide!!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

How are your curly hairstyles with the blowout if you don't mind my asking?  I still want to keep my curls.

kalex

You don't have to cut off your hair to look professional.  If you like your long hair then keep it!  If you let someone talk you into cutting your hair shorter than you want, you'll end up swearing at yourself in the bathroom mirror every morning for weeks.  I know.  I've done this more than once.

I worked as a personal banker and financial advisor for years and my hair has usually been bra-strap length or even a bit longer.   As I think others have mentioned, professionalism has just as much (or more) to do with how you dress and speak.

kimmi1115

I do want to keep the curls (which I never thought I would say when I was younger lol), but I want a different cut for them.  Lanndan thinks I can pull off really short hair, but I looked at him like he was crazy.  Thick, curly hair is not meant to be super short.  I would definitely be swearing at myself in the mirror if I had super short hair lol.

garnett

Kimmi you are an absolute beauty and I wouldn't change my hair if I were you UNLESS it's something that you really want.  When I was in high school and college, girls paid big bucks for perms to get their hair to look like yours.  You look great with it down or up.  I wouldn't worry too much about looking young.  The way to win over potential employers is to dress professionally( no flip flops)  and have a mature manner when speaking to them.  Look them in the eye and give them a firm handshake.  Let them know that you have confidence. (even if you don't  :smileywink:  )  Carry a bag or tote that has some style and structure.  I don' t think you look like you're in middle school but you do have a young and very appealing appearance.  And that's a very good thing!  :smileyhappy:

kimmi1115

Thank you, this is very kind of you to say.  Any time people would pick on me during middle school, my family would always tell me they were probably jealous because people do spend a lot of money on perms and treatments.  If they were jealous, I would rather them to flat out say it instead of calling me nails and tossing gum lol.  

I have already dropped hints that I want more dressy clothes for Christmas, and I can control the southern accent lol.  I never even thought of a different purse!  Thank you for bringing that up.  I mainly carry Vera Bradley (currently the Villager in Cupcakes Pink).  I have been looking for a new purse, though.

Titian06

Hi, Kimmi!  I understand your pain with curly hair.  I also understand about bangs, too.  I'm still trying to grow mine out after poor guidance from my stylist.

I think the worst thing you can do is change your hair because you feel you have to.  I think you look quite professional with your hair pulled back.  If you like your hair the way it is--don't change!  If you really, truly want to change, find pictures of hair styles you like in magazines, on the internet, etc. (I do this).  Take them to your stylist for the two of you to go through and discuss and narrow down to "the one."

For my $0.02 worth, I could see you with should length hair.  It will still be long enough to put up, easier to style curl-wise, and feel lighter in general.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I do want to do something different with my hair.  I just have always been a chicken due to past mishaps lol.  However, I still want to keep my curls.  After years, they've grown on me lol.  I did see one curly hair style in a magazine that I liked, but I could tell the model's hair was not as thick as mine.  It drives me nuts when the styles I like are not tried on those with thick hair.

This may sound like a stupid question, but how is it easier to style hair at the shoulder length?  It would be so nice for it to feel lighter, too, especially during the Tennessee summer lol.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 50 replies
  • 71 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • kalex
    • runy
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • anaa
    • Manda