iloveme1227

HELP!!!!

So, for the past two years I've slowly started to grow into myself. I am trying to be more "girly" as my mom would put it, by wearing dresses, skirts, and heels instead of jeans and sneakers. ANYWAY, with my new "womanhood" I would like to learn how to wear makeup CORRECTLY. I'd like to know which colors complement my skin tone, and which products are the best for my skin. Recently I went out with my girls and I wore some basic mascara and eyeliner, and for my lips I wore Fig by Bite and I absolutely LOVED IT! It made me feel new, I even got compliments saying I looked like a Barbie doll. ANY tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

iloveme1227

Re: HELP!!!!

(0) Hearts

Thanks everybody ! You don't know how great all your compliments made me feel. I appreciate all the advice and I will be taking myself on a date to my local Sephora pretty soon.

beautylovingirl

Lord honey you are GORGEOUS!!! I can't see anything that you would have to do you truly have a beautiful face and I would go with what your doing now because it's definitely working for you!!!

mafan

I agree, you look great! You have amazing looking skin, so that's one place I'd go light on coverage or just rely on your natural beauty. And I bet you can really rock bolder lip colors for a night out if you want to. Or you might want to check out some neutral shadows to draw even more focus to those gorgeous eyes. 

Most of all, have fun!

poshified

If I could tell my younger self what to avoid when starting out with makeup, it would be:

1) It's easier to add more color (to the eyes, cheeks, lips) than it is to take off.

2) Avoid the dreaded heavy eyeliner on the bottom lash line look.

3) Spend a little more time blending eyeshadows and buffing products to achieve a more cohesive look.

Lastly, natural "no-makeup makeup" look can sometimes look better on some people than smokey, dramatic looks. :smileyhappy:

iloveme1227

Thank you jellybean97 and rikkie ! I only did my lips and mascara though lol my friends did my eyeliner. Idk what it is with me and eyeliner but I seem to have the hardest time applying it correctly and without looking like a raccoon or some sort of horror film character

iloveme1227

1010675_507082236030961_756174632_n.jpg 

Ok everybody here it is lol... I hope it doesn't look too grainy

jellybean917

You did an amazing job! You're clearly naturally gorgeous...omg those eyes.

rikkie

You look lovely! 

iloveme1227

(0) Hearts

Thanks everybody for the AMAZING advice ! I'm trying to upload a picture of that night so you all can see my first attempt with makeup. Hope you like it !

wendyomgwar

Honestly go with what you like! Try out colors and see how you feel about them, there might be colors that people think look great on you but you hate! Also the girls at Sephora are definitely helpful! They can probably help you learn about your skin type and what type of foundations you should look for.

jinxski

Follow these lovely beauties' advice! I'm so glad you're having fun!

Definitely try out both drugstore and high end products, you never know what you'll like, and experimentation's half the fun. :smileyhappy:

clarks18

I agree with watching youtube videos.  My two favorites that I have learned tons from are Wayne Goss and Jaclyn Hill.  They are amazing and have so many different tips and tricks.  

jennypenny1995

Hands down, the BEST eye color palette is Benefit's World Famous Neutrals in "Easiest".  It flatters all skin tones and has the perfect combination of matte and shimmery shades.  IMO, that would/should be your go-to for daily use.  For cheeks, Tarte's Exposed or Dollface shades are awesome, and NYX's lip glosses are, too.  There you go!

michmo

The others gave you great advice.  I just wanted to tell you that I LOVE the Bite Beauty Fig lipstick.  It is my perfect color.  

LCResz

[ Edited ]

I will echo what everyone else has said and recommend going into a Sephora and having a makeover. At the very least have a helpful cast member do a Skin IQ color match to ensure you get the correct foundation color. You'd be surprised at how differently you'll see your skin once you get the appropriate color match!

Meg82

I want to echo what Diana and Emmaclaire have said and suggest that you go to your local Sephora and get a makeover.  You have to buy $50 worth of products for a 45min appointment but I have found it really easy to spend that much, just on the products they show me that I want to try.  If you tell them you are new to makeup they will give you a simple routine to start.  

I went in a couple of months ago as a total newbie to makeup and they really helped me figure things out.

mafan

I agree with the others, make an appointment for a makeover in your local store. Yes, it costs $50, but that's a $50 gift certificate or store purchase. And if you're just getting into things, you'll probably want that amount of stuff anyway. 

When you go, I recommend going with a clean face and no makeup. Let them know that you want to learn and find out what suits you. Let them know your budget as well. You cget learn so much, see what might suit you, etc. I only got into makeup last year at 48, so it's never too late to try things and I found some makeovers extremely helpful. 

dianabt

Hi iloveme1227,

Sounds like you're having a blast dolling up! As much as I love to be comfortable in my jeans and sneakers I fall in ruts where I don't bother "prettying" myself up which I think a lot of us do!

I really recommend that you visit one of our stores and take a trip to the beauty studio for a consultation or even a quick eye makeup session! The cast members can match you to the best shades, give you samples to try out and help with tips and tricks to really flatter your skin and face.

The one thing I've learned to add for a gorgeous quick fix? highlighter! Nothing looks prettier than a soft glow of shimmer on the cheeks so if you're looking for a new item to try, check out a few! (Nars Illuminator in Copacabana is my favorite!)

NARS - Illuminator

Visit our store locator to find a location near you to set up an appointment!

http://www.sephora.com/store-locations-events?mediaId=16400021

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
emmaclaire

My biggest tip would be to go over to Sephora and either speak with the consultants or request a makeover at the beauty bar!  If you get the "makeover" you can learn some tips and tricks as well as seeing what certain products look good on you (and how to apply them), which is so valuable for someone who is just starting to get into makeup.  I think you might have to pay for that service though, so if you're hesitant to shell out for the lesson, check out some of the YouTube beauty gurus!  Lisa Eldridge (I think that's her last name...) is really popular because of her vast knowledge of cosmetics for every skin tone, skin type, and preference, so I'd recommend starting with her!  

Beauty bloggers, like Temptalia (my personal favorite) are also a great resource.  They post reviews, tutorials, and swatches of so many different products that you can really learn what would complement you most from right at home, and for free!  But most of all, congrats for feeling like you're becoming more YOU, and keep having fun with makeup!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 32 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • wendyomgwar
    • dianabt
    • jennypenny1995
    • poshified
    • mafan