ChicDabbler

Guilty little beauty secret. Have you ever....=P

We are all anonymous (kind of) here, so I was wondering if anyone have any strange little beauty quirks. The most random/weird quirks you have, not the stereotypical "go to sleep with makeup" kind, but more like.....

.....if you haven't done much physical activity or sweat, sometimes you showered without soap or shampoo

.....if you were in a bathroom stall to fix your makeup/change close and the automatic flushing activates, then you feel obligated to wash your hands cuz you don't want other ladies present to judge you for "not washing your hand" 

.....if you were about to shower but it got SUPER late before you realize, then the "pre-shower" hair treatment turns into an "overnight" hair treatment

.....if you forgot to use/bring your deodorant and to freshen up, you gave the area a few good swipe with cotton pad soaked in toner to tide you over.

I may or may not have done any or all of them at one point or another. I'm not the only one.....am I? o.O

myxducky

Re: Guilty little beauty secret. Have you ever....=P

(0) Hearts

I wish I could do this... I rarely use product in my hair because it's pretty straight on it's own and I've never colored/permed it so my hair is fairly healthy, but my hair gets so oily very quick and the most I can ever push it to is 3 days because I don't like the feeling when my scalp feels oily/dirty. I'm not sure if my hair looks and smells fine after 3 days since I've never gone that long...

I used to wash my hair every day, and the someone told me the less you wash your hair, the less oil it produces...Over time I've stretched it out to about 2-3 days, depending on physical activity and the season.

I'll have to give dry shampoo a try.

mandark

My SO does the same, he showers about every week and a half, occasionally longer, unless he does something especially sweaty and he doesn't do anything in-between decides using deoderant. It's amazing - he never smells and never looks greasy and his skin is flawless.

Britlee303

(0) Hearts

Oh wow that's lucky that he can get away with not showering for so long! That definitely wouldn't work for me though...I still shower every day I just use a shower cap and use dry shampoo on my hair instead :smileyhappy:

mandark

Lol I figured you probably actually showered more often than that. He is SO lucky. Idk how he manages it.

killahbabe

I do the same! Although I wash mine twice a week... I haven't been able to make it quite as long of a span as you have. If I don't work out or do anything strenuous I can go a week, but that's it. I've been going sulfate-free and reduced washings for a year now and my hair has never been better looking or more healthy! :smileyhappy:

Britlee303

(0) Hearts

Yeah it seriously makes such a difference. I have naturally blonde hair but wanted to try dark hair out for a while...after using box dye once a month for over a year and then going through the extensive bleaching process to get it from black back to blonde it was absolutely fried. So I just gradually stopped washing it so much and used more nourishing products, and a couple of years later it has never been healthier! I tried switching to all sulfate-free products but found that they just weren't cleansing enough for me, but since I only wash my hair every 7-10 days I don't think it's doing too much damage. I do actually keep a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner on hand for the rare times that I wash my hair an extra time during the week though!

mandark

[ Edited ]

Not as much beauty, but I don't sweat a lot and have been super busy with school lately, so I started throwing clothes that I'd worn once or twice (or jeans that I'd worn an embarrassing amount of time) in the dryer with a couple dryer sheets to freshen them up and wear them a third or fourth time. Then my SO picked up some unscented febreze and I was like "yessss now I can go even longer without doing laundry!" and then realized I should never say these things out loud.

AznAngelLiz

I don't know if this counts or not, but I put my moisturizers/foundation/primers in the sample containers and use it from there. My mom especially thinks this is weird because I have the full-sized item but I do it so I can see how long it takes me to finish something.

For example, I know one container will last me a week and I just refill it when it gets to empty. It may be just in my head, but I feel like I go through things quicker doing it this way :smileytongue:

leolion

This is a little different from using beauty products, but once a couple years ago when I went back to school (I teach high school English) for an Inservice day, I forgot to wear a bra.  And it was obvious!  I realized it in the car and then used book tape for cover when I got to work.  I was just so relaxed from summer and often did not wear a bra around the house!  My coworkers got a good laugh to start off the year anyway.

ChicDabbler

Ah yes, summer clothe.I have not mastered the skill of bras NOT showing throw those filmsy fabric. Either the color shows under some pastel/white shirt even if it's nude, or the outline shows because the shirt is so thin, or the change from scorching hot ouside to freezing cold inside makes my.....extremities perk up and I hide under baggy jacket. >.<

katie1724

[ Edited ]

You're definitely not alone! I can't always shower immediately after exercising -- it's just not always convenient, but I try to do my best to wash up afterward until I can shower.

Yes, I would definitely feel obligated to wash my hands if I just quickly went into a stall even to send a text message (or anything un-toiled related).

I know I have many other quirks...but I'll have to think about this! :smileyhappy:

daeidre

I quite often shower without soap! A lot of body washes dry out/irritate my skin so I avoid them unless necessary. I don't get overly sweaty or smelly in general but obviously if I do I'll use soap.
The auto-flushes annoy me so much. They always manage to go off when I'm sitting down/changing/doing whatever else but won't activate when I actually want them to. Technology, huh.

I also always feel awkward when people in the bathroom look at me funny when I don't use the soap dispensers. Same issue as above, that stuff is harsh!

I've got quite a McGyver streak when it comes to forgetting things (it happens often!). The lack of deodorant certainly isn't a rarity, although I tend to remember that now because I always have a mini stashed in my travel makeup bag.

katie1724

I'm with you on the auto-flushing...it never fails. I swear certain ones flush about ten times (any time you move at all) -- such a waste of water!

ladymeag

A lot of the soaps in those dispensers have things that are bad for my eczema or soy/wheat products (my kid has a very severe soy allergy, I have a wheat/gluten allergy,) which means I can't risk using soap from a bathroom dispenser. Long ago and a land far away called the 1990s, a lot of companies made a travel option called "soap leaves" or "soap papers" - roughly the size of blotting papers that you got a single sheet out to wash your hands with. I've been hunting for a fragrance-free, soy-free, wheat-free option on these and it seems like it's rare for them to be made at all anymore. I really don't like the weird looks either - I currently carry a small bottle of liquid Dr Bronner's but I hate having a liquid soap in my purse and carrying a bar is impossible because there is no way for it to dry out. 

VTK084

(0) Hearts
  • REI has some by Sea to Summit (not fragrance free though).
ChicDabbler

Oh! I know in Korea they have those soap flakes!

upload_2154675234903840761.jpgOn second thought, you can probably make those on your own. Get one of those giant tictac dispenser or anything where you can pour out a limited amount of stuff, then use those cheese graters to grate your soap into soap flakes and carry it around? I dunno, just a thought.

wingatprsct

I just read on Yahoo the other day where a woman had not used shampoo in 5 years! She only rinsed her hair with water.  Mine would be an oil slick BP disaster!

jojobe

(0) Hearts

I saw that too, but the thing is after the first few weeks, your oil productions should even out to compensate and retain the natural balance. 

LCResz

My beauty quirk is having a catch-all bottle in which I place all my moisturizer sample packets, creating a Frankenstein's monsterizer if you will. I have no idea which of my many samples is doing what, but everything mixed together seems to be working just fine. 

lilahtov

HA! Monsterizer!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

=O

I would be terrified of something going wrong! Glad it's working for you *knocks on wood*.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 62 replies
  • 104 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe
    • marydiva
    • jojobe
    • ChicDabbler