poemelyric

Got my Nordstrom card... (or what do you think of Burberry?)

I got my Nordstrom card online and I couldn't resist using it right away on makeup.  I've heard a lot of people rave about Nordstrom's and how much better they are than Sephora but I need details!  So far, they have the standard 3 free samples that don't look any different than Sephora's but their rewards program is a bit on the high side.  I think they said 2000 points puts you on the lower level.  But anyway, I bought a whole bunch of Burberry lipsticks and eye shadow palette as well as my standard 5 million Nars products that I've never purchased before because I didn't think the colors were right but Nordstrom's color charts seem to be better than Sephora's.  More true to color but I may be wrong.  I even picked up a MAC lippie.. But I've never tried Burberry before so I wanted to get the opinion of those who use it.  I picked up 3 of the Velvet Matte lipsticks and the Soft Satin lippie.  I also picked up the Beauty Complete Eye Palette.  While it is expensive, is it worth it?  And I was eyeing some Tom Ford's.  How is that?

etscore1

Re: Got my Nordstrom card... (or what do you think of Burberry?)

I killed a couple of hours at the Burberry counter in Nordstrom two weeks ago. Ended up with the sheer glow foundation primer, a concealer, a blush, two lip mists and an eye shadow quad - all for triple points. 

I was really skeptical about their products because I tend to prefer products from companies who specialize in those products, and Burberry is still first and foremost a clothing/accessory line to me. But I loved everything I tried, so there will definitely be more in my future.

And the Burberry guy gave me his cell for anytime I need him for anything makeup related. Ha. 

poemelyric

Triple points!  Even Better, LOL!  I'm probably going to try these out tomorrow so we'll see how much I like/love them!

etscore1

(0) Hearts

I also ended up with a bunch of samples of the Burberry foundation and really like it a lot so far. No.4 is a great match for my skin tone. Feels like only a matter of time before I go pick it up, but after the last round I cut myself off for the rest of the month.

sangova

Hey "I just got my Nordstrom card" sister :smileyhappy: I just got mine too (well, 2 days ago). My very first purchase was Jo Malone perfume, and I'm in love with it!

I have one Burberry lipstick and I like it very much. I don't remember the number of the color, but I can check it out later if you'd like that. I do enjoy it, really. I think you invested your money good :smileyhappy: 

poemelyric

(0) Hearts

LOL!  I haven't got mine in the mail yet (they just attached the card number to my account) but i'm already itching to get my purchases!  I've never heard of Jo Malone...  What does the scent smell like?  I'd love to see what color you purchased!  I always love to see what colors everyone else is wearing!  It gives me ideas, LOL!

pinklissamel

My Nordy's doesn't have a burberry counter sadly and our Tom Ford counter only has the frangrances, but I do love me some NARS and MAC lippies. How do you like your goodies so far??? 

Spoiler

Spoiler

poemelyric

(0) Hearts

I don't have a Nordstrom near me, only Macy's so i've been doing my shopping online.  I haven't received them yet... They should be here by Wednesday... but i'm excited, lol!

DiVWA

No expedited shipping that I'm aware of. I know what you mean--I hate waiting too.

poemelyric

(0) Hearts

Eh!  Next time, I'll just splurge and get 2 day...  I'm dying already, lol!

katie1724

I am a complete Burberry addict -- the eye shadows (the singles -- embarrassingly, I have them all, save one) and the lip products (specifically the Lip Cover and Lip Velvet) are my favorites. The Velvet formula is miraculously matte, but not drying, and the Lip Cover is so smooth. The eyeshadows are amazingly smooth and buttery (some shades more than others) and blendable. I love that they have such classic, easy to use shades, too -- you won't find the more vivid shades of MAC or UD, but I just love them for basics. Do you live near a counter? I highly recommend checking it out. 

I love Tom Ford, too -- he has standout products, but the line is generally very expensive. I will say, though, that the product sizes are also more generous (8g for $55 blush, vs. Chanel's 4g or 6g sizes at $43), so that should factor into cost evaluation, too. 

poemelyric

That's great to know!  Burberry seems like a quality product though I thought I'd give it a shot.  I don't live near a Nordstrom so I have to do everything online but the colors seem true to shade with the products that I already own.  One of these days I'll find a stroe, LOL!

Now I'm really going to have to check out Tom Ford.  I've never heard of his line before so it's new to me but since it's getting so many raves, I will have to pick up a few things!

katie1724

Yes! If you do, be sure to let us know what you get. If you can check out Burberry, definitely do! Not all Nordstrom stores have counters, though; I think there are only a few in the country (maybe ten or so?). It's hard to buy something sight unseen, but Burberry is so worth it! :smileyhappy:

poemelyric

I like everything I bought so far... I'm a little iffy on my Nars lipstick.  I probably have to try it on to see if I like it...

brittybaby88

Check out the foundation from La Mer I used to wear it and love it... Nordstroms is one of the places that the great La Mer skincare line is sold at.. Although thier foundation is a bit on the expensive side it is a treatment foundation that has La Mers "miracle broth" in it which will help your skin as you wear the foundation short and long term and this foundation for real a little goes a very long way beause it is highly pigmented and really blurs imperfections with just a little bit of it. 

poemelyric

(0) Hearts

I checked out LaMer but they only go up to tan :smileysad:  Hopefully they will think about carrying more shades.  But they did seem like they are a quality product.

infinitise

I think burberry has the best eyeshadows with just the right amount of pigmentation 

but their foundation is pretty bad. it does everything from accentuating the pores, not smoothing out the texture of the skin, be thick yet not have coverage, be too pink for warm undertones, etc 

their shimmer base is pretty good.. but Armani's is better 

poemelyric

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the info!  I was looking at the foundations actually.  I was confused by the way the colors were displayed on the page so I passed on it but now that I know, I'll take it off my wishlist, LOL!  

starletta8

I love Burberry products.

In the past month, I've picked up both spring quads and three of the solo shadows. I'll put the solo eyeshadows on par with Tom Ford in terms of quality.  I find they're buttery and beautiful- and often easier to work with than Chanel/Dior (!).  Burberry has neutrals nailed in a way that no other line has- at least none that I've discovered.  I've been swatching and writing about Burberry a lot lately.  I will mention one major downside of the palettes- the uneven pan size.  Quality-wise, they're slightly less buttery than the solo shadows but still great to work with.

But here's some eye candy (Spring 2014 Sage Green palette):

Burberry_sage

I haven't tried the lipsticks yet (I have very pigmented lips and really need to try before I buy most formulas), but they're on my list.

As for Tom Ford... that's my very expensive habit.  I haven't found a product that I didn't like yet.  I own one eye trio (the divine She Wolf), one lipstick (the perfect Flamingo), and around 10 nail polishes.  With this line, you truly get what you pay for.  They're the best products I've ever used- it just takes swallowing the pricetag.

DiVWA

(0) Hearts

What do you mean about uneven pan size?

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Look at the photo above- the darkest and lightest shades are significantly smaller than the two middle shades.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 39 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • poemelyric
    • sangova
    • starletta8
    • pinklissamel
    • infinitise