beauty4ashes

Glasses & Make-Up

[ Edited ]

Do you wear your make-up differently if you're wearing glasses vs. contact lenses? 

What do you do differently with glasses? (the entire face, not just the eyes)

clemon

Re: Glasses & Make-Up

Oh this is gonna be an easy answer :smileywink: --I don't wear makeup when I wear glasses. 

DiVWA

No offense, but that's pretty limiting. May as well just stay in bed and not bother getting up! LOL

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

@clemon

Normally, I don't either.

I'll need to wear glasses for a little while & I have to wear make-up.

makeupbysophiak

I wear glasses sometimes, because I technically only need them in one eye so I can function fine. They're Coach and are pretty big framed. I wear extra concealer where they hit my nose to prevent the foundation rubbing off, and I wear more eyeliner. I sometimes add extra definition to the crease of my eyes to really make them stand out.

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

@makeupbysophiak

I kept thinking less eye make-up yet it seems my eyes disappear.

I think I'll need to keep experimenting. May even try using colors for eye shadow. I only wear muted neutrals with contacts.

laynebr

I wear glasses! These in particular

upload_3558541801611863786.jpg

I try to focus more on my bottom lashes since when I wear them I feel like my eyeshadow can't really be seen well. Nothing like blending and having a beautiful make up and have all that go to waste!

I like to either do a wash of color on my lids and sometimes define the crease a bit and go with a nice color on the bottom and highlight my inner corner.

For the rest of my face... I try not to put too much foundation around my nose/eye area especially now that it's summer time because I don't want things sliding off!

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

@laynebr

Pretty glasses! I love the shape!

Seiba

I usually wear contacts but some days I feel like I want to give my eyes a break so I wear glasses from time to time (or no contacts or glasses at all! I confuse my friends sometimes when we go out with my blurred or unblurred vision). I switch out between three different frames: a big thick geek frame, a slightly smaller but still geekish/hipsterish frame, and smaller, narrower rectangle frames. 

With my bigger frames, I tend to put a focus on the lower parts of my eyes than my upper parts since the heavy frame sits at where my top eyeliner would be, and usually overshadows my eyeshadow. I keep my top lids from looking too smokey and fairly neutral (maybe with some pops of colour here and there) and focus more on eyeliner. I'd keep the lines fairly thin, or smudgey if I'm lazy – it doesn't matter since my frames are so heavy it basically acts like liner anyways – and have it droop slightly downwards or parallel to my lower lash line, making a bit of a puppy eye instead of a cat eye. I'd highlight the inner corner of my eye a bit more, and extend it past half of the bottom of my eye, with some of the shadow and eyeliner smudged at the bottom too. That way, you can see my eyes from the heavy frames without looking too heavy! 

With the smaller glasses, it sits fairly evenly on my eyes, but really overshadows my eyeliner space and makes me look like a have a monolid more than I already do! So I play around with slightly smokey or medium shades to contrast the reflections of the glasses and more colour if I want. I can also get away with much thicker and sharper eyeliner with these frames, so I can play with coloured eyeliner if I want!

i love experimenting with makeup and having different frames is like having a different setting for your photos – everything changes accordingly, and depending how you do it, you can look totally different with each setting depending on what you want to do. 

DiVWA

I like how you adjust your makeup for each pair of glasses. Sounds like you really put a lot of thought into it with good results.

You're right that thicker lenses are like an eyeliner in a way. I never looked at it that way. I think that thicker frames (and colored ones) tend to frame the face, so I can see your point. I'm finding that since getting thicker frames, I'm not adjusting my eye makeup myself.

beauty4ashes

Well...I went to look for different frames today. How the heck do you know if the frames look good if you can't see yourself in the mirror! I always bought frames with contact lenses so I could see myself! The stores even had magnifying mirrors yet that didn't help at all! I even wore make-up. I guess I'll need to wait until I can wear my contacts to go frame shopping. :smileyindifferent:

DiVWA

Can you try taking selfies with your phone? Just stand still when taking it. Then check later when you have your glasses on. I did selfies when I was shopping for glasses last time because my vision was still messed up from the pupil dilation test. Using selfies helped me narrow down.

m3rma1d

I went a step further, I did selfies and posted live to Facebook to make my friends vote on which were best. :smileyvery-happy: It worked out great.

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

Would love to know what you picked! :smileyhappy:

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

Great idea! I'll have the person helping me take the pic since I can't see! :smileyvery-happy:

DiVWA

I'm sure they won't mind taking the photo. I get the feeling the people that work there love helping customers find the right glasses. I think it'd be a fun job myself.

TheSocialQuota

I love going to the boutique type eye stores for this very reason.

Manda

See, I like going to the small eye doctor places. I love the amount of detail they give you and even if I have to pay more, oh well!

DiVWA

I agree Mandy. This time, I went to my local optician's store. I had gone there the time before last and found that those old glasses held up better than the last pair that I got at that-big-eyeglasses-store-in-the-mall.

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

I purchase contacts from franchise opticians after I've decide which contact lenses I want. Then I order from Contacts  dot.com. I can save up to 15-20% since they want my business. 

All my eyeglasses I've purchased are from small little business owners. Many nice frames won't allow they're brand to be sold at franchise optical centers. 

No matter what frames I buy, my glasses just because of the add on's. progressive bofocals, the thinnest lens have to be ordered overseas. Don't know why. Maybe Crizal will start making the thinnest lenses in the States. My lenses end up costing as much as the frames.

m3rma1d

I wanna try contacts. Bad. I need to get on that. I'm tired of spending all this money and time on eye makeup, then hiding behind glasses every day. :smileytongue:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 72 replies
  • 96 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • malday
    • waterbaby1981
    • Manda
    • unblownkisses
    • Seiba