beauty4ashes

Glasses & Make-Up

[ Edited ]

Do you wear your make-up differently if you're wearing glasses vs. contact lenses? 

What do you do differently with glasses? (the entire face, not just the eyes)

beauty4ashes

Re: Glasses & Make-Up

[ Edited ]

@m3rma1d

If you decide to get contact lenses, try several brands/types before buying. Opticians generally have certain brands they 'prefer' because of 'incentives.' They do have free trial pairs to try out. If you go to a private optician, some charge a fee for trials even though trials are provided by companies free to them.  

TheSocialQuota

[ Edited ]

WP_20140724_002[1].jpgI love my Adrienne Vittadini's, they're sadly discontinued now. Giving them lots of love and care so that I can keep the frames in good shape for a long time. <3 Something about the shape of them gives me grins.

Cupcakecandy

I wore glasses for 5.5-6 years until I switched to contacts. For most of that time, I wasn't into makeup, but when I did get into makeup, my glasses were a total hindrance because I felt like no matter what I did, the glasses were always blocking my eyes. I did very little eyeshadow and a bit of mascara. I feel like my contacts have really brightened up a face a lot more, so I feel way more comfortable using more eyeshadow and eyeliner.

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

@Cupcakecandy

One person can look like a different person...sometimes you can't recognize them without glasses!

I never had to wear make-up with glasses & dress up.

Now I'm so stressed because no matter what I do, my brain won't accept make-up + glasses + cocktail attire!

DiVWA

This is definitely a mind block IMHO. The glasses don't define you. Some people may see you in glasses and that's all they see, but to me, they aren't very observant. When I see someone in glasses, I look beyond. If the glasses seem to block part of their eyes when I look at them, I keep looking as they turn and talk and I see anything I may have missed. The glasses are just another part of the look--they aren't THEE look. They give dimension. I think that's why there's the librarian fantasy and you see characters in movies wearing glasses sometimes, as if to show more character complexity.

If you're at a time in your life when you need them all the time, it's so much more peaceful to just accept them and decide to work with them. You can wear whatever makeup and attire you want with the glasses. Why would you limit yourself?

beauty4ashes

@DiVWA

"...If you're at a time in your life when you need them all the time, it's so much more peaceful to just accept them and decide to work with them. You can wear whatever makeup and attire you want with the glasses. Why would you limit yourself?..."

Wow...I never thought about the way you just explained, it's something I'll need to examine. It's causing me too much stress & anxiety! My primary profession, I never wear contacts, always glasses, no make-up, Gumby green scrubs, white lab coat & yet I feel perfectly at peace.  I'm caught between two extreme opposite occupational realms of expectation. 

DiVWA

Beauty4ashes, I find that sometimes when something is bugging me, that if I step outside of myself, I can see the situation differently. Like if I'm trying to decide whether to do A or B, I'll envision totally doing A, going from making the decision to the commitment to the action, and then see what I feel like. Do I feel relieved? Stressed out? Regret? Then I do the same with B. What I find is that this helps clear my mind and enables me to imagine both possibilities, and how it makes me feel with each of them. This helps make the decision and embrace the commitment.

The same goes with something that I'm not happy about. Like when I see a new wrinkle. Or when I was no longer able to wear contacts any more. In that case, it seems like I have no choice. And yes, I don't have a choice in terms of what the reality is. But I do have a choice in how I want to accept and embrace that reality. And there's a beauty in that acceptance and in using that "negative" to move forward to a positive. I wish I could explain it better.

beauty4ashes

@DiVWA

"...And there's a beauty in that acceptance and in using that "negative" to move forward to a positive. I wish I could explain it better..."

You explained it perfectly. It's just like the "Serenity Prayer." Everyone knows it, yet how many of us truly incorporate that the truth of acceptance brings inner peace? 

Manda

I need to agree with DiVWA. I do not find glasses a hindrance at all. As a matter of fact, I think that - for most people - to add to their appearance. I wear glasses because I cannot wear contacts nor do I want to. I find that I can wear the same eye makeup look as anyone else and you are still able to notice.

beauty4ashes

@Manda

I need to jump out of the denial & get a nice pair of glasses. Maybe that'll help, it's a start. I didn't anticipate having to wear glasses for an upcoming seminar. It's not happened in the past. It's a result of a sudden eye problem that I can't wear contacts for another month or so. Amazing how a simple make-up question turned into a deeper issue that I really need to address...now!    

Manda

See for me, I cannot wear contacts because my prescription is minor. Why do I wear glasses then? Because the blur bothers the heck out of me. Plus I like my glasses. I always get asked: "Why don't you just get contacts?" And my response is normally: "You shouldn't worry as to why I wear glasses.." Plus, glasses have advanced way more in style compared to what they used to be. You can get different styles, colors, materials compared to what you used to.

Which reminds me, I should get a new pair in August.

Zpsid91

I agree - I don't like contacts at all! But even my optho asks why i don't get them...I like my glasses, so I keep them. Plus there are so many fun styles out there.

@divwa - you have such great advice! Thank you for sharing with us!

Manda

There are so many fun styles! And for me, glasses just add to my personality. They make me classy and quirky at the same time. :smileyvery-happy:

miabt

It's pretty rare that I wear my glasses out.  I tend to have a hard time doing my makeup if I dont have my contacts on, since I cant really see.  With my glasses, I'm a little simplistic with eye makeup.  Eye primer, liner, a little brown shadow on my lower lashline & mascara.  I always do my brows though!  The rest of my face, I usually keep the same... BB Cream, blush, a little highlight.  I also keep blotting sheets nearby if I wear my glasses.  I have a super small bridge & my glasses (that have no nose-pads) will slip if I get oily :smileysad:

xo, Mia

Brie514

I ended up getting a Simplehuman mirror to help on days I wear glasses. It doesn't fix the problem completely, but I like the mirror so much, I find myself now using that mirror even when I'm wearing my contacts. Occasionally, when I've got the time or am feeling particularly pedantic, I actually put my contacts in to do my makeup, then take them back out. 

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

@Miabt

My nose is very small, there's no way I could wear glasses without nose pads!

You must have 'young eyes.' Even with my multifocal contact lenses I can't see a thing to apply make-up!

Strange how I have to apply my make-up without contacts in a magnifying mirror.

I still am trying things with my eyes that aren't turning out as I had hoped!

miabt

Small nose problems!  But I love the frames, so I just suffer.  They're Ferragamo frames that I splurged on :smileywink: I have a 2nd pair that has nose pads, which are mainly the ones I'll use "out"... it has my most recent prescription & they're adorable Gucci frames, but I still love my other pair <3 

There were times I've put my contacts on, did my makeup, then took them out :smileywink:  Silly right?  I'm -4.5 in both eyes, so it is impossible to see without glasses or contacts!

beauty4ashes

@Miabt

You still have 'young eyes!'

Not yet needing those reading glasses stage?

LIFE changes after reading glasses.

I'm in denial...I refuse to buy super expensive glasses!

I know the time is fast approaching.

Smokey123

It's a bummer when you reach that point. I recently transitioned into bifocal contacts. It was not an easy transition.

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

@Smokey123

Bifocals contacts are weird...the one eye for distance, one for close-up. Major adjustment. 

Smokey123

Bifocals are a bit different. Monovision have one eye for far and one for distance.  My bifocals are even in each eye, but somehow work.  I've tried both and hated the monovision. I'm not crazy about the bifocals in contacts either, but they were more comfortable than the monovision. I normally wear my contacts for about ten hours a day and it was hard for me to settle on a contact. My old ones were so comfortable before I had to worry about reading.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 72 replies
  • 96 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • malday
    • waterbaby1981
    • Manda
    • unblownkisses
    • Seiba