beauty4ashes

Glasses & Make-Up

[ Edited ]

Do you wear your make-up differently if you're wearing glasses vs. contact lenses? 

What do you do differently with glasses? (the entire face, not just the eyes)

Brie514

Re: Glasses & Make-Up

Have you tried multifocals recently? They've really improved things in the last few years! I have the Purvision 2 multifocal lenses and actually see better with them than I do with my glasses. 

Smokey123

(0) Hearts

I've actually never tried those. Maybe next time around. 

SirenPrincess

I do my make-up the same.  I always wear glasses now but used to wear contacts.  My frames are the kind that just blend in, and I feel like my eyes look the same with or without them.  I don't really feel the need to change anything.

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

I do have several different pairs Silhouette eyeglasses...they kinda look invisible.

I just don't like them anymore :smileysad:

I tried eye make-up with them on & i look weird.

The ones I have now are frames that have the most updated corrective lenses.

I went for the opposite effect of the invisible look.

have to work with these, the only ones out of 100's I tried on!

KateSpade_Caris_0003.jpg

ikandi

I do my makeup differently. I've been told that my eyes/eyebrows are my best features, is when I'm wearing contacts I pay more attention to those area (i.e. Heavier eye makeup). But when I am wearing glasses, I feel like they make a statement in themselves, so I will tend to go towards a deeper lip colour (like KVD mau5).

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

The glasses I'm wearing are a bold statement in itself...for me at least....considering I only used to wear Silhouette rimless frames.I tried 100's of styles.brands & this pair was the only one I liked!

I have to literally do magic tricks with my eye make-up when wearing contacts for my hooded eye's.I've been practicing my eye looks & seems I can leave out a lot of steps/tricks.

Smokey123

I wear less makeup with my glasses. Usually if I'm wearing my glasses, there is a specific reason such as sick, eye infection, lack of sleep, ... (I always wear contacts.) When I do wear makeup and glasses, I have to be careful because my eyelashes hit my glasses and get mascara marks on them. Probably if I wore my glasses more, I'd go heavier with eyeshadows and liners, but easier on the mascara. 

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

@Smokey123

"...Usually if I'm wearing my glasses, there is a specific reason such as sick, eye infection, lack of sleep, ... (I always wear contacts.)..."

I have to wear glasses right now. It's not a choice. I always wear contact lenses for events/seminars or going out.

Never had to do this, so I have never had to worry about wearing glasses with make-up...and, gulp, wear glasses dressed up! 

Smokey123

Somehow, for me at least, it doesn't feel like I'm dressed up when I'm wearing my glasses. I know that it is probably a mental block in my mind Since I normally wear my contacts.  It was a big shock to my system when I had to start putting on 'readers' and I realized that my arms were no longer long enough to accommodate my eyes! Lol!!

beauty4ashes

@Smokey123

I don't feel dressed up either with glasses. Looking through my outfits for an upcoming seminar & I look strange.

Doesn't look right. I'd hate to have to get different clothes! This glasses & make-up is stressful enough.

Some people look great no matter what they wear/not wear. 

I know what you mean by our arms length!

Even with my multifocals, I still have to slip on those darn little big bad wolf glasses to read the menu.

We pass them around at the table. 

ikandi

My eyelashes hit my glasses too! It used to bug me until I realized that long eyelashes are a good thing! 

beauty4ashes

Sometimes what others view as a 'beauty blessing' can be the opposite.

I have freakishly long stick straight lashes. 

Here I am wearing MAC Cremesheen in Syrup. 

camel_eyelashes.jpg

Smokey123

It still bugs me, ikandi, probably because it's not that my lashes are long. It's more just the way my glasses rest on my face. I wish I could claim nice, long, full eyelashes!  :smileyhappy:

DiVWA

[ Edited ]

I don't do much differently, except I keep in mind that in my case, I can go bolder on my eyes because otherwise they could get lost behind my glasses. I just posted a photo in the What Are You Wearing Today thread, but here's a pic of my makeup with my glasses. I don't have issues with the lenses magnifying my eyes or with my eyelashes hitting the lenses. My only issue is no matter what type of glasses, they always slide down my nose a bit; this means that in many photos, the top of the lenses go across where my eyes are. It's annoying. Come to think of it, I do tend to go lighter with foundation/powder on my nose, because of the glasses sliding down. That's about it.

diane-makeup-7-22-2014dEDIT.jpg

Edited to add: I just started using Laura Mercier under-eye brightening powder under my eyes and I like the result! Seems to help with lightening circles there and in dealing with potential shadows from the glasses. I did check for flashback on photos and so far, there isn't any.

beauty4ashes

@DiVWA...You look great!

I've wanted to try Laura Mercier under-eye brightening powder but never did because the last thing I wanted to do was bring attention to my under eye area wearing contacts.

When I did start paying attention to what I looked like with glasses & make-up, no matter the angle or lighting, there was a dark shadow under my eyes. Nothing I tried looked 'right.' 

So, the Laura Mercier under-eye brightening powder is used instead of setting powder?

Using a setting powder under my mature eyes is tricky...an art or maybe science.

DiVWA

[ Edited ]

Beauty4ashes, yes the LM is the setting powder. I just changed my setting powders and had decided to go with the regular LM setting powder (not the lightening one) for my face when I was wearing foundation (primarily the T zone--I use HG ambient powder pretty much all over when not wearing foundation). I saw next to the LM setting powder a smaller jar of "under eye concealing powder" or something like that--not the exact same name as what it's called on Sephora's website. (This was in a freestanding Sephora store.) I put a little bit under my eyes, which at this time had nothing under them since I had taken everything off in experimenting with different eyeshadows, and my under-eye circles looked less noticeable and I looked well rested all of a sudden. It was uncanny. I bought the small jar then when I got home researched and realized it was a smaller version of the regular-sized lightening powder (at least, that's what reviewers said. I didn't try the lightening powder so can't confirm they are the same.)

I was skeptical that this LM setting powder would look good using concealer and foundation first, but it did. I did have to experiment to see that using it is tricky--use a little less than you think you will need. Because of the brightening aspect, you don't want to go overboard. I use a clean brush after applying it to quickly wipe a little bit extra. Still learning the right amount. But I'm impressed. Some reviewers said it was no different than using baby powder but I don't think baby powder would be so finely milled and throw off light in the same manner.

I suggest getting a small sample jar and experiment at home before committing to buying this. It didn't settle in my lines but you may have a different experience.

beauty4ashes

@DiVWA

Thanks. I have a good reason to get the LM. I've wanted to try it but it's really difficult for me to try new products until I see 100's of people wearing it! Glad they sell it in a small jar. That's how I originally bought Tarte. I swear the really old Tarte vs. the new one works better. 

Zpsid91

Good to hear about the LM brightening powder - I may have to check that out

My glasses always slide down a little bit too - it's kind of annoying since I always am having them tightened at the optho to prevent it - o well I guess - glasses wearer problems :smileyhappy:

DiVWA

Zpsid91, it's likely the bridge in your nose that enables the glasses to slide down. As in, narrow or pretty nonexistent. At least, that's what my issue was. This is my first pair in years w/o nose pads, so we'll see how they work out. Nose pads didn't work that well in preventing slide-downs but I still tried to find rims like this that were very similar in size to my previous pair, especially in the nose bridge area.

The LM powder I just got. It's presented differently in the Sephora store vs. what's shown on line. I think it's just the small version of the brightening powder. I use a teeny tiny amount because too much can look like reverse racoon eyes. I was using it on top of my concealer but yesterday I put it on alone and it seemed to look nice that way too. I wouldn't get the regular size of this unless you want to use it all over your face. Also, if you get it, follow the advice of the top reviewers and leave the sticker on over the holes and just make a few holes through that sticker using a thumb tack. Taking off the sticker, there are just way too many holes.

unblownkisses

I always wear my glasses, but purposefully draw my liner on my top lid thicker because of it! Thin liner doesn't pop with my thick rimmed glasses.

DiVWA

Yep, I go bolder with the liner too. Under eyes, I tend to use a lighter color than I use on top lid or apply a finer line sometimes.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 72 replies
  • 96 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • malday
    • waterbaby1981
    • Manda
    • unblownkisses
    • Seiba