Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

FEB 2017 FAVORITES !

so i know i did not do a favorites thread last month, i apologize. but here it is ! what beauty things have you been loving the past couple of months ?

i have 2 fragrances: TOCCA - colette and D.S. & DURGA siberian snow. both of these are perfect for grey cold days. now, where i live it's been insanely warm for february, but we still get spurts, and sometimes i can create the "feeling" of the seasons even if the weather is failing to cooperate. colette is cozy and a bit sweet, with juniper berries adding a lovely crispness. siberian snow is a stark and chilled amber and incense with mint (a proper herbaceous mint, rather than a mentholated one); it's designed for women though i think it is very much unisex. 

PIXI x CAROLINE HIRONS double cleanse. this should come as no surprise. i particularly love the cream cleanser (crossing all my fingers and toes they end up releasing it separately as i'm getting through it much quicker than the balm). i love cream cleansers, particularly this time of year, and this is my favorite one i've ever used. unlike so many cream cleansers, though, it contains no shea butter (which can trigger break outs on me), and feels quite 'thin' (somewhere between a milk and a cream, much like the consistency of soft creams). it almost feels like it sinks into the skin, but then still wipes off completely clean with a washcloth. in love.

NARS soft matte complete concealer. this is my new favorite concealer. it is my color (chantilly), it actually covers my under eye dark circles (wow) and it blends so easily and seamlessly. i can't imagine being without it now. i had been devoted to the radiant creamy concealer for yearrrrrrs, but these days need more help with the dark bags under my eyes. this has done it.

NARS velvet lip liner. i'm super picky about my lip pencils: they can't be too dry, but what i hate more is if they're too slippy. what i love about the nars liner--these are the proper lip pencils, not the fat velvet matte ones--is that they're a bit thick. i think this is likely polarizing, but the texture helps anything i put on top of it (lipstick, or the velvet lip glides which work magnificently with these) bind to my lips. i find these liners make my lips look fuller and plumper. i want all of them.

AVEDA dry remedy hair oil. this stuff is everything i've ever wanted. a PROPER hair oil that is SILICONE FREE !!!! the past year i've learned that i can't use silicones in my hair--i just need too much product to be effective, then the silicone ends up weighing down the hair and causing breakage. this aveda oil is my hair's best friend--it drinks it up but never weighs it down. adore.

BITE BEAUTY amuse bouche lipstick - fig. i almost left this one out and i can't believe it because it's been my favorite surprise of the month ! fig is special. on me, i find it to be a skin brightening pink. while it doesn't look particularly natural, it doesn't scream LOOK AT MY PINK LIPSTICK either. i can't quite explain it. but for me, this one is a keeper, and quite possibly my new favorite shade from the amuse bouche line.

feb17faves.jpg

Re: FEB 2017 FAVORITES !

febfaves.jpg

Ahava hand cream- winter hand HG. and love the pink pepper scent. I am scent sensitive and it's not too much and doesn't stay long (which for some is a downside but it's perfect in my book). Just enough scent to be briefly refreshing, and first year my cuticles haven't cracked.

Herbivore pineapple brightening mask- really helps even out my skintone and fade scars/hyperpigmentations. Not drying, smells amazing. 

Sephora brow brush with spoolie- does its job perfectly every time

Orbie supershine cream- Love the orbie scent, in this product it stays but doesn't overwhelm. My hair is so so soft when I use this and it's not heavy at all.

Milani romantic rose blush- This was a surprise, but I am equally in love with the color and how well it goes on as I am with the presentation.

Milk makeup sunshine oil- Also a surprise love. Skeptical about anything Milk. Even when layering over a moisturizer, I found my tinted moisturizer to dry flakey/patchy in the winter. Blending in a little of this solved my issues and gave it the perfect consistency without altering the color or coverage. 

i love those milani rose blushes @CC3616!

Anonymous Insider

IMG_2861.JPG

@Anonymous lovely things ! what style are those warby parker glasses ? which bite is that (meringue or fig ?)

Anonymous Insider

The frames are the Chamberlain. They are big semi oversized frames and I love them! The bite mini is Rhubarb which I tossed in my bag a month ago and it's been constantly used for mid day touch ups. @jemly

Anonymous Insider

Ugh everything I wrote out is gone 😭😭😭

Hi all! Here are my faves for February 🙂

The Dr. Dennis Gross C+ Collagen Brighten & Firm Vitamin C Serum.

I've been using this serum every night, along with my normal skincare regimen, and I've definitely noticed the hyperpigmentation lighten. I'm not too fond of the smell, but I don't notice it after I apply my moisturizer. I also don't mind the smell since I'm seeing some great results!

Sunday Riley's Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment 

I love love love this lactic acid treatment! I also don't care for the smell of this, but it does such a great job at making my skin look smoother and more plump. 

Urban Decay's Original Eyeshadow Primer Potion

I don't wear eyeshadow, but I do get extra oily sometimes! Sometimes to the point where the excess sebum will find its way into my eye, which is super uncomfortable. If I don't use this primer on my eyelids, I find myself blotting every couple of hours to avoid getting oil into my eyes. If anyone can relate to this, I'd love to hear your experiences and also suggest using this primer!

Lancome's Énergie de Vie The Smoothing & Plumping Pearly Lotion

I usually use May Coop's raw Sauce, but wanted to try something new. I'm so glad I did because this essence makes my skin feel so soft! It's definitely worth checking out. 

Cheers!
Nikko

I'm trying to think what are my favorites since I've bought waaaayyy too many things lately, but here's what came to mind! 

MUFE Artist Rouge Creme in C211 - I am loving this lipstick! It's long wearing, fades to a nice color, doesn't dry my lips out, and the shape is so perfect for application. On me it's like a medium-dark pink mauve color (I'm horrible at describing colors, sorry!) and perfect for everyday. 🙂 

Estee Lauder Double Wear - I was not a believer at first, but I don't know if I'll ever buy any other foundation now. I thought it might be too heavy for my skin, but wow was I wrong. I wore this every day I wore makeup in Cuba last week and my oil did not really shine through and it really lasted through the heat and humidity! 

Clinique Lash Power Flutter to Full Mascara in Black Onyx - I'm not that big of a fan of Clinique and I didn't really like this mascara at first because I don't like natural looking lashes (I like my lashes dark and thick) and I feel myself needing to apologize. I started wearing this more since I keep at my desk and I'm really liking it! It's easy for me to take off at the end of the day and I like that I can change how much mascara is applied on the brush so I can combine it with different mascaras if I need to comb through. The brush at the tip really helps separate my lashes and gaaah I love it! 

Shiseido Ibuki Travel Set - I received a Shiseido Ibuki Travel Set that had the cleanser, concentrate, and moisturizer. I brought it to Cuba and while I broke out quite a bit there I found that it was really helping with my blemishes and helping my skin out! I know a week doesn't tell much, but I really liked how gentle and soft it was. I felt like my skin got less oily too which for me, is the best benefit of all. 🙂 

Neogen Day-Light Protection Sunscreen - I'm hesitant to use sunscreen on my face since they often make me oily or cause clogged pores, but this one didn't! I used it in Cuba and even with no hat on it really protected my face from the constant sun and I escaped getting sunburn. 

XOXO,
Marieke

C211 is gorgeous. I have a mini from one of the holiday gift bags and have been meaning to pick up the full-sized version!

C211 is amazing!!

I keep meaning to try double wear again.

febfaves.jpg

I had several 😄

Count me as another huge fan of the Becca Prismatic Amethyst! It is gorgeous - cool but still glowy, I feel like a fairy wearing it! I went wedding dress shopping last weekend, and wore it every day :P. I wore it with the Urban Decay Afterglow blush in Bitter Sweet (just a light dusting, because that thing is potent) and NARS blush in Unlawful using my Tom Ford Bronzer brush (I use the short sides to apply) 🙂

Tom Ford Lips & Boys in Christopher is such a gorgeous, versatile color, but curiously long lasting to boot. Especially over the Urban Decay Ozone pencil! Together, they will survive a full meal ;). Also really digging this grape macaron lip balm by It's Skin. It was a novelty gift, but honestly - it is really hydrating!

The new NARS concealers are total winners, and I found my perfect match in the shade Crème Brulee! Lastly, my favorite discovery from the 31 days of perfume challenge - Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens 😄

@Libellules, I'm not sure if you use the NARS creamy concealer, but if you do were you the same shade in the creamy concealer and the soft matte? o: I've been meaning to go swatch it in store and have heard some people say they were the same shade in both, but wanted to know what you think! 

XOXO,
Marieke

Hi @MariekeBT ! Sorry for the delayed response - haven't had any time to be on BT! I bought crème brulee in the soft matte, but use Vanilla and Cannelle in the radiant creamy (depending on winter/summer). Maybe I should just look at crème brulee in the radiant creamy now 🙂

- Guerlain Lingerie de Peau foundation (old ver): I have started it after finishing a (very old) Armani Luminous Silk foundation. I find the Guerlain dewy without getting too greasy through the day on my combination-oily skin. A little goes a long way too. I wonder how the new formula compares.

- Neela Vermeire Mohur and Rahele: beautiful, complex,well-rounded scents. Mohur is rose-centric and Rahele is osmanthus-centric. They are both enveloped in a velvety cradle of indian spices. 

- Tatcha Indigo hand cream: the color is very pretty, the light scent is pleasant, and it provides good hydration without being greasy at all. I am impressed.

- Chanel Coco Code Rouge Coco Shine Intense Long-wear Lip Color- Matte Finish in Libre: (ugh what a horribly long name) first Chanel lipstick purchase in years. It's a matte dusty mauve with the slightest hint of grey. I love it very much.

@TriesToBoClassy I just noticed your comment on the Guerlain LdP foundation.  I am also trying to finish up an older bottle but did stop in a Sephora to get a sample of the new.  The colors have all changed so you will need to figure out what number you are.  I noticed very little (if any) difference in the formula or wear.  I have seen reviews that say it didn't work, was too thin, too whatever, but I didn't experience that at all!

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 9.11.18 PM.png

- Becca Prismatic Amethyst - This is my dream highlighter. I'm so glad I ignored my anxiety and bought it. The other day I wore it on the cheekbones, eyelids, inner eye corners, and down the nose - the harmony was so lovely. 

- Colourpop Aphrodisiac blush - PERFECT nude blush. I was hunting for what I considered a perfect and truly neutral blush. I'M IN LOVE with this one!

- Colourpop Aquarius Glossy Lip - I bought it because I love Kathleen, but I've been wearing it to work a lot! It's such a good color and very comfortable. I wear it alone because it's so pigmented.

- Charlotte Tilbury Very Victoria -  I hate lipstick. But I love this one! It's my favorite and it goes with all my eyelooks. My boyfriend just smooshed it a little the other day. He forgot to twist it back down after looking at it. I'm pretty grumps about it.

- Fresh Rose Floral Toner - I don't wash my face every morning because I'm gross. But I use this every day before my morning skincare. I feel like it's made a difference. I'm going to buy the full size during the spring sale.

- Fresh Rose Eye Gel Cream - This is my favorite eye cream, but I've been putting a little on the fine line areas around my mouth and it's really helping!

- Mario Badescu Cellufirm Drops - This is a collagen serum... and maybe it's all in my head but I feel like it's making a huge difference in the softness and overall quality of my skin.

It was a good month! I really love all of these things and highly recommend them ❤️

@ShannonAlexis, I almost didn't want to buy Prismatic Amethyst because I really don't need another highlighter, but I'm glad I got it! It's pretty subtle but in the light it looks so beautiful. I love it! 

XOXO,
Marieke

Shannon Prismatic Amethys is absolutely perfect on you ❤️ i also love Very Victoria. You might like Walk of Shame as well?

@TriesToBoClassy Thank you!

I've been ogling Walk of Shame. I'm still trying to decide between in or Bond Girl. 

Mask: Tata Harper Purifying Mask

Spoiler
I love how cooling this mask feels without being stripping. It's the most comfortable mud mask I've used on my dry skin. I think I could even use it in the daytime, as it leaves my skin feeling balanced and not screaming for moisture.

Moisturizer: REN Wake Wonderful Night-Time Facial (OMG)

Spoiler
I tested out a foil first to monitor sensitivities. After two nights, the milia around my eyes/chin had vanished by 99% ... and has not come back. I'm completely blown away. I can't imagine how I'll ever go through my DS tubes at this rate... but I WANT to give REN my money to thank them!!

Makeup: Too Faced Born This Way Foundation

Spoiler
This is the first Too Faced item I've ever tried and it's amazing! It's extremely high coverage while looking natural on my skin type. It also blends easily and keeps my dry skin looking glowy (not oily) for 12+ hours. 

Lip: Colourpop Matte X Goal Digger

Spoiler
Two years ago, I bought Colourpop UML's Bumble to dupe KVD's Double Dare. Turns out I liked Bumble a LOT more, but the formula was terrible. This month, I revisited Colourpop's website and saw that Bumble got a baby sister in stick form!! I'm in LOVE with this color. 

Spoiler
Several favorites this month!  

May Lindstrom The Honey Mud and Blue Cocoon - the Most heavenly things I've ever put on my face. I've had Blue Cocoon forever from the CH Cult Beauty Box, but I was never really sure how to use it. Since @Mochapj shared her inside expertise, I've fallen in love and picked up the honey mud.  Love love love them so much and can't wait to get more ML.

Lancome highlighter from one of the Sephora favorites glow on the go, maybe.  It's gorgeous, silky and lasts, the perfect blend of silvery champagne and gold.

Kari Gran lip whip tinted.  I got this a long time ago as a gift. I swear it used to cost $40 or something and I never wanted to use it up. But I see now it's only $15 or so, and so I'm using it every night. It stays on and rivals the Bite Agave lip mask for my favorite lip product.

Sephora brushes 90 and 92 for foundation and or setting powder. Super soft and work great.

Smashbox X-rated Mascara.  Not sure what it is, but this really seems to grab and extend all my lashes.

IMG_0026.JPG

79 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • IMG_2433.jpg
  • IMG_2474.JPG
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
  • IMG_2060.JPG
  • IMG_0026.JPG
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 9.11.18 PM.png
  • febfaves.jpg
  • feb17faves.jpg