Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

FEB 2017 FAVORITES !

so i know i did not do a favorites thread last month, i apologize. but here it is ! what beauty things have you been loving the past couple of months ?

i have 2 fragrances: TOCCA - colette and D.S. & DURGA siberian snow. both of these are perfect for grey cold days. now, where i live it's been insanely warm for february, but we still get spurts, and sometimes i can create the "feeling" of the seasons even if the weather is failing to cooperate. colette is cozy and a bit sweet, with juniper berries adding a lovely crispness. siberian snow is a stark and chilled amber and incense with mint (a proper herbaceous mint, rather than a mentholated one); it's designed for women though i think it is very much unisex. 

PIXI x CAROLINE HIRONS double cleanse. this should come as no surprise. i particularly love the cream cleanser (crossing all my fingers and toes they end up releasing it separately as i'm getting through it much quicker than the balm). i love cream cleansers, particularly this time of year, and this is my favorite one i've ever used. unlike so many cream cleansers, though, it contains no shea butter (which can trigger break outs on me), and feels quite 'thin' (somewhere between a milk and a cream, much like the consistency of soft creams). it almost feels like it sinks into the skin, but then still wipes off completely clean with a washcloth. in love.

NARS soft matte complete concealer. this is my new favorite concealer. it is my color (chantilly), it actually covers my under eye dark circles (wow) and it blends so easily and seamlessly. i can't imagine being without it now. i had been devoted to the radiant creamy concealer for yearrrrrrs, but these days need more help with the dark bags under my eyes. this has done it.

NARS velvet lip liner. i'm super picky about my lip pencils: they can't be too dry, but what i hate more is if they're too slippy. what i love about the nars liner--these are the proper lip pencils, not the fat velvet matte ones--is that they're a bit thick. i think this is likely polarizing, but the texture helps anything i put on top of it (lipstick, or the velvet lip glides which work magnificently with these) bind to my lips. i find these liners make my lips look fuller and plumper. i want all of them.

AVEDA dry remedy hair oil. this stuff is everything i've ever wanted. a PROPER hair oil that is SILICONE FREE !!!! the past year i've learned that i can't use silicones in my hair--i just need too much product to be effective, then the silicone ends up weighing down the hair and causing breakage. this aveda oil is my hair's best friend--it drinks it up but never weighs it down. adore.

BITE BEAUTY amuse bouche lipstick - fig. i almost left this one out and i can't believe it because it's been my favorite surprise of the month ! fig is special. on me, i find it to be a skin brightening pink. while it doesn't look particularly natural, it doesn't scream LOOK AT MY PINK LIPSTICK either. i can't quite explain it. but for me, this one is a keeper, and quite possibly my new favorite shade from the amuse bouche line.

feb17faves.jpg

Re: FEB 2017 FAVORITES !

I have a bunch of Sephora brushes waiting for me to use them in my closet! Your brushes look so pretty in this photo I want to go home and play with them now. 😉 

XOXO,
Marieke

@sister13, how do you use your Blue Cocoon? I've only been using it as a spot treatment of sort for my dry spots, barely making a dent in the thing. It's good and bad considering the high cost but I don't want it to go bad... 

@angelKiss24 basically I'm using it as a heavy moisturizer or overnight mask.  I'm mostly very dry and I use this after I do an exfoliating mask, or anytime my face feels a little tight, or when my regular moisturizers just don't seem to be hydrating enough. I just swirl my fingers around along the top and then pat/rub it in all over. Sometime I'll just pat it on my cheeks in the morning too. 

@sister13 If your lips were in bad shape which one would you reach for first? I've been using a new cleanser/spot treatment that has been doing wonders for my face but I just can't seem to keep moisture into my lips. Which one would you recommend?

Probably the Bite Agave Lip Mask, and she feel the Lip Whip is a little lighter and more for maintenance, and to put a very light layer under liquid lipsticks.  

Only reason maybe to go Kari Gran first, is that it's only $16 and I think the Bite is about $28, so it's more at first, even though you get a lot. Good luck!

@sister13 How do you apply the Lancome highlighter? I have it but haven't figured out the best way to apply it.

I actually usually just use my fingers. I just kind of swirl and dab/blend it into top of cheekbones, browbone, lip, etc.  It blends in nicely. Sometimes I'll actually work it into a little bit of cream or oil. It would probably work with a small, denser brush too.  

I dab and blend with the long side of a beauty blender

I've been loving X-Rated as well!

It's sooo buildable too! I kept applying coats at my desk job one day just to "test" its claims and sure enough, combed through smooth every time without feel dry, flaky, or clumpy. Plus it just resulted in longer and more lifted lashes each time! I love the boost it gives my lashes!

Agreed, I kept being surprised that I could keep adding more!

This is an accurate portrayal of me with the X-Rated:

Image result for princess and the frog charlotte mascara gif

@jemly  I really enjoyed seeing this list!  I really need a moisturizer for my hair and I don't like silicone, so I'm excited to try the Aveda oil.  I also need a fan brush so I'm glad to have your recommendation.

Try Living Proof's No Frizz Nourishing Oil, it's another silicone-free oil blend that absorbs well into hair. A little goes a long way!

Thank you @lylysa!  I actually might have a sample of this, and I didn't realize it was silicone-free.

The Lip Whip is on my wishlist. 

Here are some of my favorites thanks to the recent eyeshadow and perfume challenges!

TarteDon’t Quit Your Day Dream Palette

TarteManeater Palette

Marc Jacobs – Decadence

Dolce & Gabbana – Dolce

Elizabeth & James Nirvana Bourbon

Product Pictures

Spoiler
Tarte - Maneater (left)
Tarte - Don't Quit You're Daydream (right)
(Pictures from Google)

(Perfume pictures from Sephora)
Marc Jacobs - Decadence

Dolce & Gabanna - Doce

Elizabeth & James - Bourbon

Spoiler

Guerlain Meteorites: I finally bought my first tin of Meteorites, and I'm in love. They're so gorgeous and luxurious.

Besame lipstick in Wild Orchid: Good staying power and stunning, vintage color. BT got me hooked on Besame; thanks, guys! 

Dior Lip Glow in Berry: I've been keeping this in my purse for an afternoon touch up since I keep my lipstick collection at home instead of bringing the one I used in the morning with me. I learned my lesson after losing a favorite YSL lippie probably on the NYC subway some years ago!

Commodity Mimosa: I can't even express how much I love this fragrance! It was one of my best discoveries during the fragrance challenge.

Chanel Le Rouge Crayon de Couleur in No. 7 Fuschia: So vibrant and lovely.

RMS Living Luminizer: My current favorite highlighter. I'm wondering if the Nars highlighter palette will dethrone this one when it arrives in a few days, though!

Oh, and I figured it was fitting to show off my orchid (that I've managed to keep alive for two years!) while talking about Besame Wild Orchid.

IMG_2060.JPG

This is such a beautiful, bright spring composition ❤️ Your Guerlain balls look pristine 😄

@txcatx, beautiful picture as always!  That Guerlain 😍

such a gorgeous photo--i wish i could keep an orchid alive 😞

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Spoiler
NARS Misconduct blush - I don't think it's any secret what a blush addict I am, but I adore this.  If Sin, Douceur and Orgasm had a baby, this would be it.

NARS Mauritanie Matte Multiple - I've been waiting for this shade since NARS was first planning to release it (2014 summer, I believe?) I don't know why there aren't more red-toned multiples, but this brickish one is just perfect for that rusty, 90s flush.

Kevin Murphy Angel Wash - after changing my hair to steel grey last month it was recommended I get both a color depositing violet shampoo and a shampoo meant for blonde/grey hair. The color depositing one is just meh, but this one smells lovely and leaves my hair soft and silky. 

Bite Beauty Porcini - I love a good brown lipstick, and this is a good brown lipstick.  I was completely surprised by how flattering a yellow toned brown could be.

BECCA Prismatic Amethyst - it's purple, it's opal-y/pearlescent and it's a highlighter.  Need I say more?  It's also a lot more subtle than I've come to expect from BECCA (which is A-OK with me!)

Mahalo Love+ Roses - this serum is so lovely, it pains me to think that once I'm finished it, there's currently no way to repurchase it, as it was a limited run included in a Valentine's/winter box.  It makes my dehydrated skin feel so smooth, soft and comfortable, and the aroma is just heavenly. It's full of coffee, rose, sandalwood, cocoa and lots of skin hydrating oils.

Suqqu Designing Color Eyes Aoshizuku - I had a sea change in my opinion of blue eyeshadows late last year, and I've come to love navies quite a bit. I like this particular quad because of the interesting combination of indigo and tan - it comes off as a rather masculine pairing, like a crisp blue blazer with khakis.
Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • IMG_2433.jpg
  • IMG_2474.JPG
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
  • IMG_2060.JPG
  • IMG_0026.JPG
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 9.11.18 PM.png
  • febfaves.jpg
  • feb17faves.jpg
  • IMG_2861.JPG
  • febfaves.jpg