sephoramusthave

EMPTIES NO BUY CHALLENGE

Hello BT friends! May is just around the corner and I think it would be a good time to clear a bit of our stash this spring! Here are the rules.....

1. items must belong to makeup or skincare category ( haircare and bodycare items are too easily used up)

2. Use up TEN full sized makeup/skincare items

3. put empties in zip loc bag ( you can put start date and end date on baggy if you wish so that you can see how long it takes you to use up those 10 products)

4. NO SHOPPING unless you *completely* run out of something ( look around and see if you have foil packets or deluxe samples around first)

5. post your bag of 10 used up products here! Talk about the items if you wish and whether or not you would repurchase.

And.....go!

ChicDabbler

Re: EMPTIES NO BUY CHALLENGE

[ Edited ]

Ok, gentle start. I can do 5 full size and 5 mini/sample. I need some encouragement (see things finished) so I think I will keep that ratio.

10empty.jpg

1. L'occitane Apple Almond cleansing oil - had it for so long it's been discontinued almost a yr. First step of double cleanse but I stopped after I found KGD cleansing water. Time to finish this baby.
  2. Watercress facial spray from Super by Dr. Perricone - got it when Sephora was phasing out Super, didn't like the wilted lettuce scent but it's really not that bad. I need to get myself to use it every morning....
  3. Chamomile Eye makeup remover from The Body Shop - brought it back when everyone was raving about it, but just not loving it and stopped using when I found KGD. 
  4. Origins Charcoal mask - when I don't use this, my pores get clogged, so it's the item in here I use most frequently.
  5. Korres lip butter - brought it cuz everyone raves about it. Eh. 
  6. Buxom lip gloss - brought a set of 6 last yr and haven't finished a single one. I'm determined to finish at least one.
  7. KVD foundation - in the process of getting through the multitude of packets to find my foundation shades.
  8. PTR laser scrub - I want to like this, but not sure if my skin do.....
  9. Coach citrus perfume sample - too lime-y but, meh.
  10. Coach freesia perfume sample - too artificial/sweet but, meh

I'll probably finish skincare faster than makeup but, that's that for a start. 0.0

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

beautytester---Good job on using up 4 of your products! And where did you get those KVD foundation sample packets, its soo cute! I love my buxom glosses, I used up a couple mini's a few months back and then bought a set of 6 as well and I love them! I have a full sized April that I'm running low on. I also have the Korres lip butter in guava and don't like it much....but will make myself use it up lol.

I've replenished some of the skincare that I've used up/am about to use up soon and made a large tjmaxx haul ( Ole Henriksen! Jeffery James Botanicals! Andalou Naturals! ) :smileyvery-happy:

I reorganized my backup skincare and I had to dedicate one of my dresser drawers to just my backup stash. O.O Methinks that I need to do this empty challenge again soon...

RandeeBT

I love the Origins Charcoal mask! It's definitely a must have product for me! :smileyhappy: 

Best,
Randee
sephoramusthave

Oh wow! Kudos to everyone that's setting aside 10 products and is committed to using them everyday until they are used up.

I'm just going to use my products as normal, and when I use something up---it will go in my empties baggy! I want this challenge to be less constricting than project 10 pan, where you are bound to the same 10 products and cant use anything else until they are used up. This way, I can use whatever I want, change my makeup looks etc and still use products up. :smileyvery-happy:

sephoramusthave

I'm not gonna lie....seeing that Ole Henriksen serum in that picture just made me miss it, and add it to my loves list lol. I've used it a couple times before and I remember liking it, and liking the citrusy smell but don't remember why I didn't repurchase. *scratches head*

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

upload_8692306184583519050.jpgIs anyone already planning what to reward themselves with when they complete the challenge? I am thinking....3 items off my loves list from Sephora and another item from the Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses for Sensitive Skin Collection ( I have the CC cream from the sensitive collection). I'm super obsessed with this line right now but aside from one mask, haven't had a chance to try anything else out from this brand from my stash. I don't want to freak my skin out from changing products all the time so I am waiting until I use up what I'm currently using, then onto the next.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I've been meaning to try out the jack black lip balm for *ages*. Rosebud Salve is my #1, what does everyone like about JB?

Joannimation

I like that Jack Black lip therapy is really smooth, not sticky. It took me a while to get used to it, but now that I am, it does a lot to keep my lips hydrated. I reapply quite often because I feel like it sinks into my lips, like I'm feeding them water lol.

sephoramusthave

Thanks for the feedback joannimation! I love minty/cooling lipbalms and jack black makes one.

Update:

I've hit pan on a couple of setting powders ( tarina tarantino translucent tulle and rimmel London stay matte), am almost done with my Benefit Dallas boxed powder ( :smileysad: ) and my benefit fake up concealer has maybe 3-4 uses left in it.

Keep up the good work guys! And don't forget to reward yourselves with a shopping trip to Sephora when you finish :smileyvery-happy:

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I used up the last little bit of my Benefit Dallas bronzer today :smileysad:  Its a holy grail item so I'm gonna hate being without it, but I can reward myself with that once I finish my 10 items. I've used up some skincare items as well, will try to post my items and bag tomorrow for proof lol. I have a handful of other bronzers that are wonderful too so I'm gonna show those some love while I'm on my no buy. These are the bronzers that I still have...

1. chanel soleil tan de chanel

2. benefit hoola

3. thebalm bettyloumanizer

non full sized/in palettes

4. nars laguna

5. thebalm bahama mama

How's everyone else doing? Any progress yet? Did you find an old favorite in your stash? Do you have your eye on a new item? Have you hit pan on anything yet? Are you running low on anything?

sephoramusthave

dallas00.jpgdallas00.jpgbaggy2.jpgjar.jpg

Ok this is my progress so far. Items that I've used up and are shown in the pictures are...

1. juice organics pomwash facial cleanser

2. nature by canus all natural hydrating facial scrub

3. Maybelline the falsies mascara, blackest black

4. sibu beauty sea buckthorn clarifying toner

5. benefit dallas bronzer

6. benefit fake up concealer, light

7. yes to carrots nourishing softening facial mask

8. MAC penultimate eye liner, rapidblack

So far I am pleased by the fact that I've used up just as many makeup items and I did skincare items. :smileyvery-happy:

ChicDabbler

Lol, I am amazed by how spotlessly clean your Benefit blush pan is. For me, as soon as I can see 50% of the pan, I'll probably end up stop using it. I need to make you my inspiration. XD

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

Awww thank you beautytester!!! I love my Dallas, its one of my musthaves from Sephora, for sure! Right now I am using nars laguna, I have the orgasm/laguna duo and I LOVE it! I've hit pan on both and will for sure purchase the full size ( when needed lol). I love bronzer, especially in the summer! I wear sunscreen on my face everyday so my face is a lot lighter than my arms so I have to even out the color somehow lol. My face is fair and my arms are medium so bronzer is my BFF hehe. Has anyone tried the Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil bronzer? I've had that on my loves list for a loooong time.

Have you made any progress yet?

ChicDabbler

Haha, I crossed out the ones I've finished. I'm almost done with the Perricone facial spray. I can finish the cleansing oil or KVD foundation packet soon, if I can get myself to use them, lol.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I haven't used a cleansing oil in ages but I do remember really liking the Origins one BUT I do remember being annoyed with the item too because I had to pay separate for the pump and it was very liquidy for an oil so I went through it rather quickly.

I'm really weird with spray toners. I don't like to use the spray top, I always remove it and use the large opening with cotton pad.

I love that KVD lock it tattoo foundation! Its the only foundation that I have in 4 shades ( one to match me no matter what the season/color I am). And if I can get my hands on the 42 shade ( its discontinued) I want it to highlight the inside of my face ( I'm just now really getting into the full face highlight/contour but still rarely do it because you need a good hour to do it plus full face of makeup). However, since we are in summer I haven't been reaching for it lately. Its really hot now so I've been using either lighter coverage foundations or BB/CC/TM creams.

I've really been loving my sample of NARS sheer glow foundation but need to play around with different colors first. And I really really hate the fact that you can only get the pump on nars's website. >_<

Titian06

I'll give this a try.  I can at least empty a couple of items, but 10 is probably out of the question.  I finally hit pan on my first blush ever a few months ago!  But the basics like eye primer and concealer should be no problem.

talinder

My makeup and skincare lasts me ages! Even my foundation primer is still kicking after a year and a half and I didn't incorporate a few new primers until 8 mos after I'd started on it. My foundation always lasts a few years. I thought I'd run out of HD and was going to throw it away, but hesitated for some reason. Pulled it out weeks later and shook it up and it's still going strong - no longer spitting out product, but flowing like it is new. Powder products? Fuggedaboutit! I am really light handed. The only thing I'm running out of right now is Fresh Soy Cleanser. Once I noticed I was running out I purchased another and have moved on to the FAB. I save the Fresh for some mornings b/c it's more gentle. The only other thing I could see using up is my bottle of Purity. I suppose I could toss some older mascaras pencil liners, but that's kind of cheating.

I'll have to leave you all to work this challenge on your own. I'm the girl who orders makeup and doesn't even always open the box to see what's in it for a month or more.

prettyinpa

Ok, I'm in as soon as I get some more GLO tooth whitener gel, I'm completely out and don't have any back up. Meanwhile, I won't get anything else tempting while I'm shopping. Hmm, maybe I'll send someone else to go buy the tooth gel, I'm not sure if I can trust myself in store. lol

NurseCupcake

I think everyone should post a list of the 10 items they want to use up and then cross it off as they go so you can keep tabs on each other's progress!

Joannimation

Oooo, I want to join! I'm just having trouble thinking of items I can use up. I'm fairly conservative on application...

I have a MUFE Pro Finishing Powder that I've hit pan on. But how far do I have to go before I use it? I don't like wasting product either, so I'm wondering if I have a small tin to depot it into :smileyvery-happy:

almostyou

I'm definitely considering this. I love finishing up products (feels very satisfying) and I definitely need to halt my spending. But I'm also wondering if it has to be new full-sized products, or if it can be things that we've already started working on because I have a couple that I've been very steadily working on (see above reference to loving the feeling of finishing a product completely) that I would like to include.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 53 replies
  • 103 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • ChicDabbler
    • fran11
    • makeupobesessed
    • talinder