Does anyone else dislike drugstore makeup?

I know this may sound harsh, but I really dislike all drugstore makeup. I'm sure there are many products out that are of great quality, even better than some high end makeup, but I have never found a drugstore product that I have liked. I've tried primers, foundations, powders, eye shadows, eye liners, mascaras, lipsticks, lip glosses, and lip stains, but each product has left me disappointed. I've also tried makeup removers from the drugstore, but they also left me disappointed. Does anyone else dislike drugstore makeup? I've stopped trying drugstore makeup all together now because every product has left me disappointed; which led to quite a bit of money being wasted. I only get high end makeup now because I am rarely ever disappointed with my purchases.

Re: Does anyone else dislike drugstore makeup?

There are a lot of drugstore products I love! I own a ton of high end makeup, but I also own quite a bit of drugstore makeup. Some of my reasons have already been mentioned, like trying something that I'm not sure is going to work for me. When orchid/lilac got really popular as a lip color, I was too scared to try it in $35 tube of lipstick or gloss, so I picked up a few drugstore options first. I feel a lot of guilt about returning used cosmetics to Sephora, or anywhere else for that matter, so I usually keep what I buy. 

I do not use any drugstore foundations, because I am very fair and have oily skin. I haven't found anything from the drugstore that matches my skincolor and works for my oily skin. But I do have a drugstore concealer I like a lot. 

I disagree that all high end makeup is across the board better or higher quality than all drugstore or less expensive makeup. I think marketers and advertisers have done an excellent job in convincing us that because we pay more for something that it's better quality. I believe someone else basically alluded to this. 

There are some drugstore products that I truly feel work as well or better than their high end counterpart. L'Oreal Infallible Shadows are a great example of this. I have used them for a few years and have been thoroughly impressed with the quality. They are definitely a dupe for the Armani Eyes to Kill shadows. 

There are quite a few drugstore makeup brands I am impressed with like NYX and Milani. They have some great products. 

I also think there are some products that if we were put in a blind test we wouldn't know the difference if these items were packaged the same and any identifying scents were removed. 

I love my high end stuff, and I own much more of it than I do drugstore. But I'm not biased against drugstore nor do I believe everything high end is made from better ingredients or better quality. There was a recent study that showed that Sinful Colors nail polish outperformed Chanel, as an example! 

There are gems out there if you're willing to try them. If you're not, that's ok too. We are entitled to love what we love. I will say there have been several expensive makeup items I've been incredibly disappointed with lately to the point where I actually returned them, which is rare for me. They were from high end brands Marc Jacobs, Givenchy and Dolce and Gabbana. 

I personally don't use much drugstore skincare. I have so many samples and deluxe samples of high end stuff that I could probably get away with never buying another moisturizer or anti-aging product. LOL Although I do have a few masks from Freeman Beauty that I think are just as nice as my high end masks. I also will use a drugstore face wash if I run out of my FAB and Boscia washes. 

I've rambled on a bit here, shocker I'm sure, but to sum it up, no, I don't dislike drugstore makeup. In fact there are some things I love. I wish others had a more open mind about things, but as I said before, we are all entitled to love what we love and be done with all the rest. :smileywink:

(0) Hearts

Years ago I tried the KVD Tattoo liner at Sephora. My mom took me in to get a good eyeliner since I had oily lids and nothing ever wanted to stay on. It didn't work out for me at the time and I didn't step foot in another Sephora until earlier this year. (She's not particularly makeup savvy, and I was like 14? We didn't know lid primers existed, and assumed I needed a better liner.)

I figured I'd give that liner another shot, because I started using an eyeshadow primer from Hot Topic that was actually surprisingly good. I loved it and went back and bought like 3 more things later that week and didn't stop. I threw out drugstore concealers that didn't do a lot for me anyway, I started noticing how my old foundations were more like tints that dried me out.

It seems like there's a good reason high-end makeup even exists, and it's because it really works. Maybe not universally still, but there has only been a few products of the tons that I own now that I didn't like. All but one either for being a bad color for me, or not meant for my skin type. 

My mom still refuses to buy anything but the cheapest. I even gave her a KVD liquid lipstick that was the same color as lipsticks she wears, and it didn't even make it into her makeup bag.

Up until now I swore by Hard Candy. I still think some of their products are good enough to be in Sephora. If there was a better brush on their liquid liner, I would rank it with KVD liquid autograph. I would have never come into Sephora though. They have great primers, beautiful eyeshadows, and their mascaras are still some of my favorites. They have a great 1,000 Lashes primer that compares to Subversion (my #1 favorite paired with Perversion). And even their Curl Up and Dye is very similar to Perversion. And their Glamouflage concealer seems really popular. If I recall, Sephora used to sell their nail polishes years ago? I'm still itching to try out those BIG ole bronzers and blushes, and if I ever need something in a pinch or I'm out of something and low on cash, I can get all my change together, go to coinstar, and have enough for pretty much anything from Hard Candy.

Lip glosses are probably one of the biggest things I see a difference in. I've never found a drugstore gloss that was anything but sheer and sticky. I assumed that was just how gloss was until I got a Too Faced gloss in a set. I'm in love with NARS glosses now, especially the ones with the tiny little brush tip. They have so much more color and last longer and are thick enough to stay on, but my lips never feel sticky or goopy. 

Do drugstore brands ever even sell shadow primers? I don't recall ever seeing them. Hard Candy only had them as little bonuses with their shadow once in a while, and the formulation didn't even work for me. I saw very few primers at all from any drugstore brands actually. 

Plus, I get to test out pretty much anything. If I'm looking to switch liners, I can swatch my old liner and any potential new liners and walk around the store and pick out whatever else I wanted, ask for samples, and when I'm done go use the makeup remover to see which one withstands the most, and which one has the smoothest lines after some time has passed. I can actually see if foundation matches me, or have it matched for me. (THAT was the best thing I ever did. An artist at Sephora had to match me manually because I have inflamed red areas in my skin that I'd rather camouflage than match, and I'm SO in love with the foundation. It even brightens my eyes enough for my boyfriend to notice.) When I get samples I get to see if skincare products have any effect on me over a week, or see how long a foundation lasts on me and if it oxidizes. It makes it into a really fun experience to go to a Sephora and pick stuff out. When I went to Walmart it was more like shopping blind. "Hope this color looks sort of okay in the right lighting!" 

(0) Hearts

Loreal also makes an eye primer. I never tried it though so I can't say anything about it.

(0) Hearts

Actually NYX makes some great eyeshadow bases/primers. Milani has a really nice glitter primer I use with my pigments. 

(0) Hearts

I used drugstore makeup exclusively until I hit my early 20's when I became a huge makeup counter devotee (Clinique, Lancome,etc...).  I remember discovering how much nicer the products looked, felt and, oddly enough, smelled.  The overall experience seemed a lot nicer to me - makeup went on smoother, stayed on longer and just looked better.  That being said, over the last few years, I have started experimenting with both higher end (YSL, Dior, etc..) and drugstore products, in addition to my department store brands.  I do the same thing with clothing and accessories - I have a pretty eclectic mix of products widely ranging in price and quality.  I don't scrimp on skincare, foundation or perfume, but I do mix up my mascara, eyeshadow and lipstick.

(0) Hearts

A lot of drugstore items are hit or miss for me, so I don't give many items or even brands a chance.

Foundations are a complete miss, however, there are a few concealers out there that are decent.

I have a L'Oreal VisibleLift Line Minimizing & Tone-Enhancing Under Eye Concealer that is great and I am almost out of (but sadly, I just looked it up, they only have the L'Oreal Visible Lift Serum Absolute Concealer on their site; hopefully they are similar because I need a new one soon) and I have a friend who really enjoys her Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer.

Physician's Formula also has a pretty good concealer, PF Concealer Rx, however they only offer two shades, "Fair Light" and "Natural Light."

(I have Fair Light and it might be a tad darker than me, however, the coverage is really nice and I mix it with other things.)

I have tried the Circle Rx from them, but think the L'Oreal one is better and also, I disliked the separation of the product. 

Almay has both an under eye Wake Up concealer and Smart Shade concealer that are pretty good too, however, I remember they were not as easy to blend as the ones from L'Oreal and PF. 

I've had a friend rekindle my interest for drugstore products by sending me a shade of the L'Oreal Infallible eye shadows (Infinite Mer....Endless Sea) along with a couple of the Maybelline Color Tattoos. I was surprised by both of the brand's quality and staying power, however, both are best applied by finger and I prefer using brushes. Minor issue though, because for the price, they are at least worth giving a try. And the Color Tattoo is a good alternative for a shadow base. 

But other eye shadows I have tried in the past, whether from PF, Revlon, Almay, Covergirl, or Maybelline have been just so-so to oh no-no. 

This palette is a nice one, however, the quality just cannot compare to Mufe or even UD.

The pigmentation sometimes might be there, however, the staying power can be inconsistent.

Mascaras depend on what formula and brush you like and with the selection throughout the brands, one could probably find one or two decent mascaras for their taste. I'm still experimenting within the L'Oreal family.

I stick to higher end lip products, however, I'm kind of interested in this shade from Revlon, 

Does anybody have any opinions on Revlon's lipstick quality?

Personally, I am not a fan of Revlon's lipstick. It bled quite a bit and rather quickly after application as well. It settled into the fine lines of my lips and really emphasized them. I found them to be a bit too messy and too much of a hassle so I returned the lipsticks I had from them. I've also tried their stains, which are okay. They're fine enough to use up but I have no intention of repurchasing.

(0) Hearts

I much prefer higher end beauty items with a couple of exceptions. Covergirl Lash Blast volume waterproof is my HG mascara. I have yet to find a high end mascara that I like and I have tried many. I also really enjoy the L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows.

(0) Hearts

After trying out drugstore not too too long ago, I am left liking only a mascara and a concealer off the top of my head.  I like nailpolishes from the drugstore as well.  

(0) Hearts

In general, I prefer higher-end makeup, but there are a few things things like mascara and lipliners that I buy at the drugstore. It's hard to go back to drugstore quality eyeshadow once you tried UD and Smashbox though, so i don't think I'll ever go back. Except for Maybelline color tatoo.

Some drugstore brands I won't buy no matter how nice the color looks.  For example, there is no color beautiful enough to make me buy a WnW lipstick.  However, there are some great drugstore gems that I will absolutely try out.  Many drugstore cosmetics can be returned (though I hardly bother) but it's worth it to me to try out a lot of drugstore products.  I've qualified for rouge several times this year alone, so I definitely love my nice makeup, but I really enjoy some drugstore products as well.  Skincare is all higher quality for me, with the exception of my face wash.  That spends 30 seconds on my face, so I don't feel bad going a bit cheaper with that.  

[ Edited ]

I like both and have been disappointed by both high end and low end.

Drugstore products I love:

- Rimmel London natural bronzer

- Rimmel London soft kohl eyeliner

- OPI nail polishes

- Revlon lipstain + balm  (the balm that comes with this is way better then the MAC prep & prime)

- Sigma makeup brushes (basically MAC dupes and better)

Highend products I have hated:

- Smashbox limitless eyeliner

- Marc jacobs gel eyeliner

- Nars bronzers

- MAC prep & prime

- Stila lip glazes

Highend products I love:

- Nars, MAC, UD lipsticks

- ABH dipbrow pomade & brow powder duo

- Bare minerals matte foundation

I've been disappointed by both too. I still use L'oreal liquid liner (and have been for 20 years), sadly I haven't gotten any better at applying it over this time ...

I used to be extremely loyal to Maybelline. I had every single eye shadow pallet they came out with and I constantly stalked Walgreens and CVS for their limited editions. The only downside to my love for their shadows was that I could never wear them for a long time. After several hours my eyes would start burning, itching and tear up. I just figured I had a problem with makeup and kept eye drops and a lot of tissues in my purse. Several years ago I decided to go cruelty free but that meant giving up my beloved Maybelline. Since I do not like Wet & Wild or NYX my only other option was turning to higher end makeup. My first was Romantic Eye by Too Faced, all the color and, to my surprise, none of the painful reaction. Now I cant imagine going back to drugstore. However I still have most of my old Maybelline pallets. Every time I pull them out to give away they look too pretty to part with so they go right back into my "retired makeup" drawer.

More often than not, drugstore cosmetics are not as richly pigmented as higher-end brands. the formulations of drugstore brands may contain more fillers or sediment than higher-end brands, too.

i don't think all high end products are amazing, and I don't think all drugstore cosmetics are terrible. There are some solid and even great drugstore skin care products, such as CeraVe. If you look in my bag, you'll inevitably find a few drugstore mascaras or blotting pads. 

You know honestly the only thing I use from the drugstore today is Almay's liquid liner or Revlon's ColorStay liquid liner. I have yet to find better formula's/brush tips. All of my cosmetics/skincare consist of high end products. I however decided to broaden my horizons and venture into some popular drugstore makeup to see how it compares. I bought Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse foundation, single matte eyeshadow from Nyx, and Covergirl's Outlast 3 in 1 foundation. Technically this doesn't count as drugstore but I have bought two moisturizers from the Body Shop as well. I can't wait to try everything and see how it goes. :smileyhappy:

(0) Hearts

I did something similar a couple months ago.  I got an entire face of makeup for $150 and ended up with two things I'd repurchase.  Not the best value there.

(0) Hearts

Drugstore eyeshadow wears much better with a quality lid primer.  A tacky (sticky) thick one applied with a brush is best (apply like a concealer).  

If you want to cheap out and use a lot of a product, a drugstore skin care product is ok, but more like a cheapy home-spa thing.  Drugstore primers leave a sediment, which is ugly, and the foundation isn't worth the price.  drugstore liquid eyeliner is pretty good, but pencil eyeliner is crap.  It's funny how things work out, some things are good and some are bad, but you have to try too many things to make it worth the cost.

I used to hate drugstore when I first started Sephora shopping, until I found out that some drugstore is literally high end. For example, L'Oreal is made by the same people as Giorgio Armani (L'Oreal Magic Nude=Giorgio Armani Maestro, and both brands' single shadows are AMAZING).

[ Edited ]

Only a handful of conglomerate makeup companies own most of the mass produced makeup in the world. But most of the subsidiaries existed well before they were purchased by a parent company. Smaller companies agree to be bought out because of all of the resources they can get from a large company. But they still make their own products. The subsidiaries have their own research and production lines, but the company that owns them gains most of the profits. The parent company does not produce products from lines they did not directly create. If you want to educate yourself further, do some reading on how conglomerates and subsidiaries work and how they cooperate with one another so that each side benefits. 

For example. L'Oreal just purchased NYX Cosmetics. NYX has been their own company for years and only recently did they decide to be acquired by L'Oreal. L'Oreal cannot force NYX to change all of their formulations to be the same as the other subsidiaries L'Oreal owns. If they could, NYX would have not agreed to the merger as they want to benefit too (usually by gaining access to L'Oreal's resources).

The whole, "You're just paying for the name." schtick is a cop-out. You may be partly paying for the name, but you're also paying for the quality, the research/development, and the effort (notice how high end products have generally have more detailed packaging than drugstore?) that goes into that product.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Photos3
  • troll_doll.jpg
  • upload_303701792499673030.jpg
  • 20140831_150430 (2).jpg