asdfkl

Does anyone else dislike drugstore makeup?

I know this may sound harsh, but I really dislike all drugstore makeup. I'm sure there are many products out that are of great quality, even better than some high end makeup, but I have never found a drugstore product that I have liked. I've tried primers, foundations, powders, eye shadows, eye liners, mascaras, lipsticks, lip glosses, and lip stains, but each product has left me disappointed. I've also tried makeup removers from the drugstore, but they also left me disappointed. Does anyone else dislike drugstore makeup? I've stopped trying drugstore makeup all together now because every product has left me disappointed; which led to quite a bit of money being wasted. I only get high end makeup now because I am rarely ever disappointed with my purchases.

Crimsonsketch

Re: Does anyone else dislike drugstore makeup?

Generally, I agree with you.  I just don't like the quality, and often I have issued with how some of the larger mainstream companies behave (L'Oreal, for example).

That said, I tried a few e.l.f products this year for the first time and was really surprised at how well they worked.  To be honest, it frightens me a little that they are so cheap, but I'm still weighing my thoughts on that.  I used picked up their dual eye highlighter / concealer and it's pretty freakin' awesome!  I've even taken to using it on my whole face as a "base" if I'm in a rush and it will hold up all day.

The e.l.f. cream / gel liner is pretty good too.  Definitely comparable to some of the high end brands I've used.  I'd recommend it.

I also like think I like NYX.  I haven't tried much, but their concealer stick really impressed me.  It's the right shade for my very pale skin, is buildable, blendable, offers great coverage for blemishes / dark spots, and sets well.  I picked it up as an on-the-go concealer for emergencies because it was cheap and easy to carry around in my purse, but I'm really impressed. I still recently bought the NARS concealer stick I'd been using at home, but I almost didn't bother and thought I might just stick with NYX.  The NARS is a little better, but it's a pretty close race.

NYX mascara wasn't bad either, but I seem to have a hard time finding a good mascara either way.  My current favourite is Smashbox Full Exposure.  It gives me great volume and drama, which I really need on my short, sparse, straight lashes.

The NYX eyeshadow base is terrible though.  I may as well have used an eyeliner.  It's not enough to give my shadow something to adhere to, it needs to be creaseproof, and this is not.  Not for my oily lids, anyway.

HelloCoffee

I use lots of stuff from drugstores. The only products I don't use from drugstores are eyeshadows because they are usually powder-y. For foundation, I lucked out with Loreal true match, but I also use Bobbi Brown foundation.  But yea, my make-collection is a mix of drug store/dept. store/sephora. 

ivyxox

I haven't tried a lot drugstore makeup, but my feeling is mixed as well. I personally dislike drugstore face makeup, but I love some drugstore lippies and eyeshadows ( some are even better than high-end imo).

heartsmyface

Think we're in the same boat though I've only just started playing with drugstore stuff.  

DiVWA

[ Edited ]

Like some others who have posted here, my drugstore makeup experience is mixed.

I do use drugstore mascara and haven't had issues.

Recently, Milani site had a 30% off sale so I spent some time researching blogs for swatches/reviews and ended up buying about 20 lipsticks. Of those 20, only 1 was a dud. I've only been wearing lipstick for a year, but I was shocked by how patchy and slippery the Givenchy perk one I got was compared to the Milani. Like night and day. I could buy maybe 5 different Milani's for one Givenchy. (I could be off on the math, just guessing here.) The Milani lipsticks I got last w/o needing re-application and don't feather or get patchy or weird looking.

The Milani blushes I got (the two matte powders) also well exceeded my expectations--they're extremely pigmented and their color lasts on my cheeks.

But when it comes to foundations and most other products, I've learned to steer clear of drugstores.

ivyxox

I have tried a few drug store lippies and I am quite impressed with them! 

My new loves are Relvon color burst lip gloss and Maybelline color sensational high shine lipgloss, both are very comparable to Chanel and Dior lip gloss.

IRISHQUEEN

Hi @DiVWA ! OOH! I am so a lip junkie! What lipsticks did u get? I have 2 of the Milani chubby eyeliners/shadow sticks in a pink & a bronze color and they are awesome! They literally don't budge when applied they SO last forever. I also have 2 Rimmel liners that I adore, 1 in white (w/ awesome pay-off and staying power) & 1 in  black. I do dig them and they have lasted forever (but I don't wear makeup everyday either, or use liner every time I do so that could be the reason, idk). I have looked at the Milani (work w/ me on the names here, kinda guessing) baked bronzers (like I don't have enough & still doubt my skills, bahaha)  and baked blushers and they look awesome! I always give them a good look over when I am going to get med's & so on, but always walk away! lol I do have a Physicians Formula blush that has the multi color in it and there are 3 shades to choose from (oh yeah, it's supposed to smell like roses when you use it, it's suppose to be a Mood Booster blush). It did smell like roses at 1st (literally 1st application) but is a pretty good blush that I use when I am in a hurry to hit everywhere on my face. I haven't used it in a hot, hot minute b/c I have the Geurlin Meteorites (if that's what it's called, I going by memory here), and a bunch of new Tarte blush (that I adore and just feel better about), & the little flower shaped Clinique Blush. I do have a place for everything though, for instance my best stuff (like most expensive, and don't want to get ruined due to bathroom humidity, etc.) stay's on my vanity & then my other pretty's that I didn't invest too much cash in but still use especially when I am in a hurry are in my bathroom vanity organizer area! lol It drives my husband crazy (b/c I am always moving things here & there especially when a new box of baby is delivered)! I do agree w/ the whole foundation, bb, cc thing. I don't think I would feel comfortable putting those things on my face now that I have learned so much a/b what is good & what is bad for your skin (not saying they don't have " clean " & up to par one's out there).  The last one I tried was an Almay CC Cream & the Almay lip gloss. The almay was ok but I kinda looked greasy and I have dry skin (what, what!) and the lipgloss was a hot sticky/gloopy mess but a beautiful color. I returned it and got Burt's Bee's cleansing clothes. lol Those are my fave DS-Brand (but I have been eye-balling Say YES to Blueberries- has anyone tried these or this line and liked?). I am spoiled now w/ the Ole. H. Nurture me Cleansing Clothes.     

DiVWA

[ Edited ]

Hi IrishQueen, the Milani baked blushes I got were the matte ones:  Delizioso Pink and Bella Rosa. I haven't tried the other baked blushes that have shimmer in them, mainly because I'm picky about shimmer in my blushes.

I tried one Milani eyeliner (Liquid Eye in Perfect Purple) and didn't like it at all. I forget what I didn't like about it though. Also tried two of the Milani Baked Eyeshadows in Intermix and Fusion, and only liked Fusion, which is described as Purple/Gold/Brown/Pink Shimmer, and looks purple coppery w/gold specks on me.

How I chose which Miilani Color Statement Lipsticks to get is I studied the site nouveaucheap.blogspot dot com. She has organized her swatches by categories (such as Plums and Berries, Reds and Oranges, Pinks and Corals) and this is super helpful! I just went through all the categories she had and reviewed her brief comments and the swatches to narrow down which ones I thought would look good on me (and omitting ones I thought I had in other brands). Wait for a sale on the Milani site (or at your local store) to do this! Once I got all my lipsticks, I made sure to try a different color each day and see how they applied and held up.

I ended up doing a Note in my iPhone so I could keep track of the Milani colors I had already bought/tried, so that when I see it in stores (CVS, Fred Meyer) I will know if I already had it or tried it. Except for #14 Rose Hip, all the others I got performed really well. With the 30% site discount, my cost was about $3.85 per lipstick. I plan to get some more of them with the next site sale or if I see them at the store, although with all of them I already have, there's no rush.

Ones I got: 05 Red Label [Bright Red Cream]; 08 Ruby Valentine [Deeper Red Vinyl]; 14 Rose Hip [Hot Pink Cream – this one caused weird flaking on lips so discarded]; 16 Flirty Fushcia [True Fuscia Vinyl]; 17 Plum Rose [Mauve Cream]; 20 Uptown Mauve [Violet Mauve Cream]; 25 Naturally Chic [Rose Nude Cream]; 29 Teddy Bare [Natural Pink Brown Cream]; 33 Rose Amour [Rose Pink Cream]; 42 Rose Femme [Rose Brown Matte]; 43 Pretty Natural [Rose Cream]. My lips have some color on them and I'm more cool-toned and avoid lipsticks that have orange or coral in them because they make my teeth look yellow, so you may find that other colors than the ones I got would work better for you.

IRISHQUEEN

Thanks! I appreciate it. I do love Mauve & Rose colored lipsticks & have to be careful which nudes I get so it don't look like powdered donuts have been smeared across my lips! lol However, I do like coral & coral toned lippies. They too brighten my skin tone (well, most of them have). I suppose it just depends on your natural lip color & you skin tone/undertones. Thanks for the info on the sites too! Sounds like you are in lipstick heaven! 

BrennaBombshell

I never purposefully buy drugstore makeup anymore. I used it for years, but you can definitely tell the difference in my makeup application now that I don't use those products anymore. Occasionally I'll get a sample or something, and those usually leave me feeling pretty blah as well, but once in a great while I'll find something I love. NYX is kinda drugstore-ish, and I love almost all of their products. Milani has nice blush that I found through a subby box service. But I won't go out and buy anything on my own. It usually isn't very pigmented, or it goes bad fast, or the packaging is flimsy, or the ingredients are atrocious. I'd rather spend a little more and get quality products.

deannarp

I don't buy much from the drugstore or even look around that much at the DS, but I did buy a dupe for nars orgasm from NYX (pinched) and I swatched both, and the NYX is more pigmented. I still use the nars once in a while but it has made me think about spending 30$ for blush vs$8, however I am fully committed to the hourglass blushes!

kbmatthews

I dislike drugstore products. I purposely don't buy any. I used them for YEARS, but never really love makeup until I moved on to higher end stuff. I admit I'm a makeup brand snob, to an extent. The quality is just that much more superior, longer lasting, doesn't oxidize as much, better colour ranges, the packaging is nicer/more durable, you can return things easier (even outside of Sephora) and TESTERS! You could tell I was wearing makeup when I used drugstore stuff... now, I can wear my not-wearing-makeup makeup look, and people think it's what I look like naturally. So... I think I'll be sticking with it :smileytongue:

Koivu11

Sometimes the mascaras are ok but other than that, I can't get anything to work on me. It's hard to blend and it's just a hassle. I gave up a whole ago though so maybe they're better now? 

The best part about makeup from a counter or sephora, etc is the option to test before buying or return something that doesn't work out.

courtneyleeh

I use drugstore makeup remover wipes, some shadows, and mascaras, and I usually only ever wear drugstore eyeliners.  I tend to favor Almay and Loreal as far as brands, but I would never use a drugstore concealer or foundation again - they are too poor of quality to be on my actual skin, and I find they never match my skin tone and make me break out.  However, as stated previously I don't find much difference in eyeliners and there are a few shadows I like and I even prefer my Loreal mascara over my Givenchy one!

irenet

In the long run, drug store make up is just not worth it to me. Before I found Sephora my drugstore make up was really trial and error. Wrong shades, wrong texture, wrong wrong wrong. Then there's no one there to help you or ask questions, I guess the brands leave it up to commercials to tell you about it. I threw away so much product. Then Sephora allows me to test it first, take samples home, and return used products if I'm not happy??? Sold!

Shrewdle

I think some drugstore makeup is okay. Generally I dislike drugstore eyeshadows - just find them to be super crumbly and powdery with poor staying power. I also am not a fan of most drugstore foundation and blushes. 

But some drugstore lipsticks aren't  too bad, like the Revlon Super Lusterous or Loreal Color Riche products. I have a few from those lines and they aren't noticeably worse than my high-end lipsticks per se. 

I think drugstore lip products are also a good way to try out some fun colors for a cheap price, that you'd otherwise have to commit a lot of $ to for a high-end item when you don't yet know if you'll like the color or not.

And drugstore mascaras are great, IMHO! Especially b/c I replace my mascaras every 2-3 months, it's just more practical to go with a $6-$8 mascara vs. a $30 mascara, as far as my wallet is concerned, lol! And for me personally, a lot of drugstore mascaras perform just as well, if not better, than high-end ones. So hey, if I can save a few bucks here and there, why not? 

So yeah, long story short, for me, drugstore makeup is really a mixed bag. 

m3rma1d

troll_doll.jpg

meagboho

(0) Hearts

upload_303701792499673030.jpg

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

False.

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

I don't understand the photo at all. 

jemly

the question rubbed me the wrong way but i think it could be an interesting discussion (marketing and consumer perception), not necessarily a pile-on for drugstore brand hate and snobbery.....

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 99 replies
  • 116 hearts
  • 60 in conversation
    • kalex
    • mberteig
    • emmaclaire
    • malday
    • poemelyric
    • aviscardi