onomotopoeia9

Do you guys think that the "proffessionals" at sephora are actually proffessional?

just wondering what you guys thought...

beautylovingirl

Re: Do you guys think that the "proffessionals" at sephora are actually proffessional?

[ Edited ]

@SeraK- Also online the MAC makeup artist are very helpful and will give you as much help and time that you need.

SeraK

Re: Do you guys think that the "proffessionals" at sephora are actually proffessional?

I think it depends on your location. I actually had my first ever positive experience in an Sephora not too long ago (the reason why I'm here on the site, actually!) and it totally shocked me. I went to another location in town and got the same, "I'm too busy to be bothered with you, peon" attitude that I'd seen before. 

To echo what others have said about MAC, I've always had a really positive experience there. The little that I do know about make up comes from the folks at MAC and at Ulta. I've yet to ask anyone at Sephora about the products I use on a regular basis, though. 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

For the most part yes but there are some I've come across that after I asked them a question, I just ended up looking and deciding myself we were no where near the same ball park.

denden798

I know what I've been noticing... some of the people in Sephora know A LOT about makeup, but yet the makeup they wear is very unattractive. Many people there wear way too much makeup, which turns me away. I can obviously see that most of them know what they are talking about and are very good with makeup, but they go so over the top that I end up buying less dramatic makeup so I don't look like them, which is NOT what Sephora should be going for. They should look for people that wear natural makeup so they have the "pretty" look.

krunce

(0) Hearts

I think they use to be more professional. When the Sephora first opened at my local store in Canada (when I still lived up there), the beauty professionals that were there were amazing. There was a woman I worked with there who had toured with the Black Eyed Peas as one of their make up team. 

I notice that MAC seems to have way better retension of their 'professionals' and Sephora has really high turnover so I think this has to do with full-time opportunities, room for advancement (MAC has amazing room for advancement, apparently, where you can get shipped off to HQ), and benefits/incentives.

poemelyric

I'm not particularly impressed with in store help.  I had to go in store 3 times in a month because each of the store clerks pointed out foundations that were too dark or orange.  The visit that i had last Saturday, the store clerk pointed out something that I just returned that day as being too dark and red for my complection.  She said "Some women prefer their foundation a little on the red side",  Not when you have yellow undertones!  I basically picked out my own foundation and let her help me find the perfumes, lip glosses and blush that I had on my shopping list.  I felt bad for being aggravated so I told the lady at the cash register that she helped me.

alivingstone

I always thought they were pretty picky about who they hired. I have a friend who used to work for them, and even though she is a certified makeup artist they only let her work in fragrances because she didn't have enough experience in makeup. 

But then I don't really have any bad experiences with anyone there yet either. 

sephoramusthave

Overall, yes. By now, most of the girls there know me (that's bad isn't it?) so I haven't had any bad experiences in a long long while. Its rare for them to have an actual makeup artist working there, but when they do I really like talking to them about application/technique/tools. Sephora has a lot of stores, and a lot of employees, so I don't hate the store just because I run into the occasional snooty/stuck up/rude person that stares at me like a hawk while I'm browsing or testing out products. What gets to me is when I get comments like "are you going on a date tonight?" or "you're still here?" in a tone that suggests that I'm just there to mess with the products and not buy anything. 

SeraK

(0) Hearts

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that. That's such a turn off when you're shopping. I'm a notorious label reader, so it's nice to be able to shop without people gawking at you or understand that you're actually trying to make the best choice possible. 

starletta8

Some are.

I actually ran into a Laura Mercier artist this past weekend lurking in-store.  So they do supplement from time to time with additional pros.

connieconcon

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I've run into them too.  It seems like some brands have traveling reps that go to stores for a day or two.  I've met a Benefit rep and Cover FX rep, and a few others for brands I can't recall.

mkupgk

Some might be...

MoreGun89

Well, some of the makeup artists are, some aren't, some are just there for the experience to become professionals.  The last gal who did my makeup is an aspiring stage makeup artist, so definitely knew how to make a flawless base, however, the rest of the makeup was considerably more heavy than I would have preferred in natural lighting, but were I going on stage or singing in a soiree, it would have shown up in the lighting perfectly! :smileyvery-happy:

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

lol

DTalksAll

There's one girl I trust at one of the stores for skin care. She's known me for years, and knows what I like/dislike. She won't recommend me a "hot new item" knowing it's heavy & will give me more milia. I appreciate that! There's also a girl at another store that I like to play with makeup with. We have a blast swatching & trying on different products. We both like long-wear items, so she stays away from smudging/melting items. But that's about it. Everyone else is either clueless or rude, even the managers. I worked retail for 7 years in HS & college and we would have been fired if we treated our customers like that! 

Also they are clueless, and it's the companies fault, not their own. There is something really wrong with the marketing department at Sephora. The fact that you can ask the same question to different people and get a different response from each is mind blowing. If there is a promotion, the rules should be laid out & everyone should be informed of said rules. I feel like a broken record, but when I want to know what time a sale starts & someone from FB, BT, the phone, e-mail & store all give me a different answer I get frustrated. Or when we get an e-mail with a code to pick something up in store only to find out from everyone else it's not available in stores makes the company look bad. 

connieconcon

Some of them are!  But the majority of the sales people I've spoken to appear to have been hired because they had customer service experience and liked makeup.  I talked to one guy who said he had been working at the restaurant next door when his Sephora opened and was taking applications.  I took his product advice with a grain of salt after that.

kalex

In many cases... NO!  I'm certain they all get some training after they're hired but I'm also certain the vast majority haven't actually attended a beauty/cosmetology school of any kind.

I've asked for help on how to use a new product on a couple of occasions and the makeup artist made me look laughable each time. In one instance I went to J. Crew right after and almost screamed when I saw myself in the mirror.  You'd think they'd know how to take the lighting into consideration.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • kalex
    • connieconcon
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • poemelyric
    • denden798