kristamarielund

Do you ever return products?

I'm beginning to worry that the girls at Sephora hate seeing me coming in the door. LOL! I buy a whole lot of products, but if something doesn't work for me, I exchange it. It has to REALLY not work for me but I feel like Im a chronic "returner".

For example,  Ive finally found my perfect foundation and shade, but I bought a few that looked perfect in the store, and then when I bought it and wore it all day I found they would get much darker and orange a couple hours later. I cant see spending $40 on a foundation that looks awful on me and not exchanging it. 

How many of you ladies return stuff if it just doesn't work for you?

snowshoe

Re: Do you ever return products?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I return when I have to and feel no guilt whatsoever about doing it. 

That being said, I don't go in buying blindly with the thought of "oh, I can just bring it back."  I do my homework about a product first, including getting swatched or trying a sample.  Because of that, I actually return products infrequently.  When I do return something, it's because of performance issues, allergic reactions, or--particularly for online purchases that I can't get to see/experience in person--it does not motivate/inspire me.

I also keep my receipt/packing slip for at least a month after purchase, because if I am going to return something that isn't working, I'm going to do it within the first 30 days.  Having the receipt ensures that it's a smooth process.

pipsqueek1582

(0) Hearts

I rarely return or exchange... I very carefully select products before purchasing. I feel guilty if I return something because it didn't work for me...I know they can't resell the stuff! So I figure it's my own fault and my loss.  But I have sisters and friends that are always able to take things off my hands if they don't work for me...then it's not wasted! When something is damaged and can't be saved, and it's honestly not my fault, I'll return or exchange it.

IttyxBittyxMe

(0) Hearts

I rarely return, but I most definitely believe in exchanges. 

Im a Rouge who just started shopping for makeup last year, and only last month I found out that I can ask for  samples in store. I had no clue. If not for that I would have spent less time exchanging products my first three months experimenting with foundation. 

DitzCore

(0) Hearts

I've only exchanged things, never returned. Broken products, the wrong item in the package, etc. I'm pretty good for having a sales rep put it on my face to test it out then say yay or nay.

I don't think it's wrong returning. I know Sephora has a great return policy, so I am confident that if I ever have to return something I'll feel okay doing it.

lonerchick

(0) Hearts

I have never returned open cosmetics. I guess because I never worked that sort of retail and I'm afraid to be told no. I did purchase a concealer that was not quite the right color but I have made it work. I will return it next time because it was pricey.

A beauty blogger I love on youtube says she returns cosmetics from CVS that do not work out. I'm not that bold.

doriangray

I say as a customer, don't feel bad about returns but also make a good faith effort to sample things first and think before you buy (does this fit in my budget? do I already have enough of these?)

There are things Sephora can do also if they want to mitigate returns while maintaining the policy.  #1 would be to let us get the online-only perks in store.   I buy almost everything online even though I have a great local store because I can get 3 free samples, 20% off sale, and all the other online promotions.  Other things I can think of include being more generous with samples and makeup application services.  Oh, and how about GWPs from the same brands that give them out in store at places like Nordstrom and Ulta?

linda711

Excellent points Dorian.  I have a SiJCP and they have had the same perks since Sept!  They are super stingy with samples, aren't qualified to provide real makeup services, and there are no freestanding Sephoras for 50 miles.  What other choices do we have?

doriangray

(0) Hearts

And I'm so much more likely to not just buy things when I can see them in the store and try them on, but to be happy with them and keep them!

bombshell30

I will return once in a blue moon, and only if something really doesn't work for me. I am also a big advocate for sampling a product before I buy so typically I know whether or not I like something before I buy it. After being on BT a while I know this is because my OKC store is wonderful as are all the cast members and that I am very very very lucky in this regard! Every once in while you end up with a product that is just crap, or gives you an unexpected reaction. In those cases I will run to return. It sounds like you are being responsible about your returns and in no way should you feel guilty. 

Carmen241986

(0) Hearts

I believe that there ain't anything wrong with returning a product you aren't happy with. I'm glad that they give you that option unlike drugstores that say once it's opened you can't return it. I've returned a couple products a while back that I tried out and didn't like, no problems or questions asked. I will say though if you worry about returning so much stuff try getting samples of what you want to test and then go from there :-). Some samples can last you a long while especially if they fill it all the way up like at my store !. Take care and don't feel bad it's your right as a customer to be unsatisfied with a product !. 

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

Yes I return products but I def do not take advantage of the system. For foundations and skincare, I always ask for a sample. 

butterblume

(0) Hearts

I've returned a few things unopened because they were impulse buys and I regretted them. I don't feel terrible about returning unopened items because I know they can be resold. I have returned a couple of items opened because they just didn't work for me - the Dior brow styler for example that I'd heard such rave reviews about and which was a holy grail for asians was, like all brown pencils, too brown for me. I returned Tarte's maracuja foundation because it a) expired in 4 months and b) got all flaky on me. 

But like tenngal, I save up my returns because I buy a LOT of stuff online and while I keep like 95% of it there is some stuff that I decide I'm just not going to use (and I decide this usually before I open it) so I bring it back all in one go. I just returned about $150 worth of stuff yesterday and the cashier looked so exasperated with me I felt really bad. I can't make frequent trips to the mall though or I'd be trying and buying a lot more stuff in stores because that's how I prefer to shop.

At the end of the day I try to think about whether I will really use an item before I open it because I know once I do it's going to go in the trash if I return it and I don't want to abuse the return program. I don't feel bad returning items I've used and just don't work for me though - the program does exist to make sure we're comfortable and happy with all our purchases, and that is what encourages us to keep spending, because we're comfortable and confident that if we don't like a product we have the safety net to return it.

deannarp

(0) Hearts

I've only returned two items. If I'm buying something pricey, I will ask for a sample of it when I purchase so I can try it before I open the product. In the long run, the cost of the destroyed product must come back on us in the form of higher prices. 

nicholletta

I actually do return a lot of things. I only do that because frankly I'm allowed to lol and if I don't like or use something, I'm not going to keep it to collect dust in my collection, I'm gonna return it for something I would actually use!

pandapple6

I have returned some stuff. At another retail of makeup products (that shall not be named) is really picky about returns. The box needs to be unopened with a sticker and the receipt and not after a week can it be returned and it is a big hassle. However, at Sephora, the staff are very relaxed and no-hassle about returns. However, in the future, try asking for samples of things like foundation, so you can be sure it is perfect and try it for more than one day in a row. 

tenngal

I live so far away from Sephora that I only get to make a trip every one to two months so I have to order most of my products.  Therefore, I end up returning quite a few products that I order which don't work out and I "save them up" and return them when I go on one of my monthly or bi-monthly trips to Sephora.  So when I return, I guess it seems like I'm returning a lot and I've had a bad experience like katie with a cashier once telling me that "I really should test things first because they have to get rid of anything that's been opened."  I was so embarrassed and angry and told them that I live 2+ hours away from the store and have to order everything because I rarely have the chance to sample first.  I shouldn't have felt like I had to explain my return because they shouldn't have made any comment at all considering how many thousands of dollars I spend at Sephora every year in products that I do keep.  On another occasion when I was making a return, a cashier made a comment saying "We have testers available for you to try our products before you purchase them."  I didn't even bother explaining that I live far away that time, but just stood there and stewed and held in the scream I felt like letting out.  I think Sephora should train their cashier's to not make comments when someone returns something if it's being returned according to Sephora's return policy.  I don't feel bad when I return something that I have paid a lot for that didn't work because Sephora's return policy plainly says that I can so I don't think any of us should be made to feel bad about a return.
:smileyhappy:

doriangray

(0) Hearts

Ouch!  So rude.

jojobe

(0) Hearts

Some of the SA's just do not realize that we all do not live 10 minutes away and actually getting to the store is a treat for us. I like many others do the save for returns to the store. If I really made a bad purchase / impulse buy I will return by mail but sometimes I just need an exchange. You should not have to justify returning any item to a store who has an open return policy. I would have just asked that a manager finish your return and file a complaint at the store. They get paid weather you open, use an. d just don't like a product. It is not their job to judge you or your returns. I do make a list of the items I want to try and if it is foundation I explain that I live too far away and my SA's usually spend a good amount of time and give me more than the three samples to take home because I live so far away. I also fill out the surveys online and give her glowing reviews. I don't take home a whole bunch but mine doesn't have any foil samples unless they are hoarding them in the back. I have to ask for all my perks too at my store. Remind her I am VIB/Rouge and is there anything else special I get. Mine is 4 hours away and therefore my purchases are mostly online as well

katimae

I return products often.  I live in the middle of nowhere as many of you know and do not have a Sephora nearby and only buy online.  Plus I have a bad memory so I end up ordering the same thing twice at times (usually eyeliners.)  Though if it is something not expensive I save it for the next TSB to go around.  But I don't feel bad about sending things back at all. I shouldn't say "often" but I do do it when necessary because I can't justify spending that much money for something I won't use just to save face. 

spamantha

i've never returned anything to sephora before. i always have amazing sales associates helping me out and making great recommendations that match up with the reviews online. one thing i do wish i returned though is the urban decay eyeshadow primer. that stuff did nothing for me.. unfortunately the closest sephora to me (before yesterday, woo new store!!!) was over an hour away and not worth the drive plus its been years since i purchased that so its no where near elgible for a return.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 40 hearts
  • 26 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • kristamarielund
    • cheekyangel