gingerblack

Deluxe samples: do you open them right away?

I am interested to hear if you guys open your deluxe samples right away, or if you wait to finish a product in the same category before opening it. I wait to finish my products before opening up a deluxe sample, even though I really want to open it! For example, I am currently finishing up a primer before opening up the Hourglass primer sample and porefessional. I also am waiting to try out some mini mascaras and mini exfoliators. I don't know why I wait when I want to try them so bad hah. Does anyone else do this?

NurseCupcake

Re: Deluxe samples: do you open them right away?

(0) Hearts

I'm a total sample hoarder! I have boxes and bags of samples. I'll make purchases just for samples. However, I have been making it a point to go through my samples and minis. I've made a huge dent in them! It's been getting out of control.

lovinglondon

(0) Hearts

I am a sample hoarder so I won’t open something until I intend to use the whole thing.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I used to, but now not so much. You should see my mini mascara collection :smileytongue: I used to open them right away, but would go back to my current full size. I ended up wasting the minis by not using it up in 3 months. Now I save them & only open one at a time. 

I try to stock up on minis of products I use, or really like for travel. If it's something I know I won't use, then it goes into a TSB, or into gifts. 

I also try to only get minis that I know I will like now. I can't remember when was the last time I bought eye cream! 

kariyava

(0) Hearts

If it is a lippie or perfume, I'll try it right away.  Otherwise, I'll wait.

levid

(0) Hearts

I'm not sure I've ever finished anything makeup wise. Skin care I wait to use something until I'm out so I can see how my skin reacts. Mascaras I go through a TON so they're all open and if they smell funny I pitch them. 

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

I usually wait until I am completely done with a product in the same category before opening a deluxe sample! The only exception I will make is when I am going to be traveling somewhere. I always like to use travel as an opportunity to use my deluxe samples up! :smileyhappy:

Best,
Randee
notcreative

(0) Hearts

Great question.  It depends on how badly I want to try the sample.  If it is something I have been dying to try, my willpower is nil.  One the other hand, I can easily put away a sample I am only so so on trying.  I have more samples than I can ever use, so I usually give away the ones I have no interest in before they get too old.

fatimamummy

(0) Hearts

I keep skin care and make up samples in separate make up bags....Same goes for foil samples and take out one when I have finished with the same time of product,,,,but some times I like to use two of a type alternatively then I open them...e.g: currently I alter my regular Camu Camu sleeping facial with the hope in a jar night sample every other night.

Cleanser and eye cream I habitually use different in morning and evening,,, So if I have a sample of either of them I open it to continue routine if one of my regular ones is finished otherwise they just keep sitting in my stash.

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

Alright for those of you who say they can actually wait - you guys have a million times more patience and willpower than I could ever dream of having!

I get way too excited about new goodies, I have to swatch everything. Only thing I'll wait for is mascara. Everything else I like to try. My only rule is that I can only try one new skincare item at a time. I've been known to go crazy with the samples and have really bad reactions - only to not know the exact source of the allergic reaction. So I'm more careful now. Makeup samples I usually am more open to trying multiple at a time since I've never had an allergic reaction due to a makeup product alone. I'd recommend the only trying one at a time rule to everyone with sensitive skin like mine.. it's helped so much!

clemon

(0) Hearts

Depending on what it is, but i usually swatch it at least (i just can't wait!) But nope, tend not to use them on a regular basis, I like saving the deluxe sized primers, foundations (tm, bb, cc), lip products etc. for a travel bag. 

shoppiturt

(0) Hearts

If it's mascara, I won't open it until my current stuff is at least low, or if I think I can use it alongside something. I have two mini mascaras and one full open at the moment and I either rotate them or use them together. If it's skincare, like a cleanser or moisturizer, I'll go ahead and open it because I'm trying to find what really works for me. Everything else I have is just kind of sitting around waiting to get used. :X

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

If it's something I haven't used before, most often I would swatch/try it once, then put it back until I finish my current stuff. Yeah, I have a handful of deluxe primers that are only swatched once, lol.

Missie772

(0) Hearts

Nope, I save it and wait until I finish that item up before I open another one. Otherwise I am going to have a million open samples that I used once or twice and then it will go bad!

chocopudding

(0) Hearts

I actually don't open them up until something of the same genre has been used up completely. I hate wasting stuff, and if I open too many things at once I know something is going to spoil before I can finish them.

I love anything itty bitty, so I like to line up little bottles (perfume especially!) and little lipsticks and look at them and it makes me happy. I'm weird that way. ^_^;;

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

I also love mini lippies! The recent ones I got from UD and Lancome are just too cute!

mrsbaine

(0) Hearts

I used to open everything right away because it felt like Christmas. Then, I ended up with a ton of half used deluxe samples and full size items, so I started putting them away in my makeu. Or skincare storage area and I try to forget about it. When I am done with so etching, I go to storage to get a replacement. The exception was the Lab sample of the night facial from Kate Sommerville. I wanted to try that immediately. 

Crazy4Sephora1

(0) Hearts

I have a small basket that I keep my samples in and I use them if I feel bored and want to try something different  or if I have a skin issue.  For example, I had a laser peel in which I was shedding skin like crazy and my face was dehydrated so all the exfoliating and moisture samples were used very quickly.

heartsmyface

I'm a little OCD about having multiple cleaning products open at once. I also don't like to 'appear' like I have more products than I do which can happen with a bunch of samples. My solution is that every three or four weeks I try to use up a couple deluxe samples. Kinda a little game I play with myself. Mascaras and eyeliners and primers I wait because how many can you really use up at once? Makeup samples I never wait. I use them up fast!
infinitise

I have very little patience most of the time

If I were to wait until I finish the product in the same category, I would all of a sudden not appreciate or like the product I'm currently using.. 

I also heard about having to give your skin a variety of nutrients.. so I justify my lack of patience with the fact that you have to switch up the products every now and then 

even foil samples, if there's something I received that I like, I would open it and use it interchangeably 

kbmatthews

Depends. I sometimes will wait if I'm not in a rush to try something, but sometimes I'll get a deluxe sample for a certain event in mind, so I'll open it for that. I totally wait for mascaras, moisturizers and exfoliators, though, since I always have so many. 

Lip products pretty much get opened ASAP though! haha

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 28 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • lovinglondon
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • ChicDabbler
    • mrsbaine