nebel

Confess! What is (or was) your big beauty bad habit? How did you fix it?

Me? I'm a picker- i just can't leave it alone, especially my cuticles.  Even though I know they will wind up worse off if I pick at them, I *just can't help it*  

Keeping my nails nice and my cuticles well groomed *really* helps... if they're not ragged to begin with I won't pick at them! I use a cuticle removing gel to keep them groomed and do my nails at least twice a week.

So let's hear it... what is your beauty bad habit? If you've fixed it, how did you train yourself out if it? 

rainbow781

Re: Confess! What is (or was) your big beauty bad habit? How did you fix it?

(0) Hearts

Nail Biting! (please don't hurt me) I know it's terrible. Now I just paint my nails all the time so that I can't bite them.

DrWould

(0) Hearts

I bite my lips like it's my job. I have very chapped lips and I try to use a lip scrub and keep them moisturized all the time. But as soon as I get a little lazy with my lip maintenance, they get super chapped and I start biting off the little flakes... Which causes more and more flakes, and also makes my lipstick look horrible. Gah!

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

I'm definitely a picker as well. Not so much at my face, but definitely at my nails. And because of that, my nails are a disaster zone! 

LCResz

(0) Hearts

I was a terrible nail biter/nail peeler until I got married and my hubby helped me keep on eye on my habit. 8 years (!) later and I actually have nails I can proudly display. When I a, stressed out I will start to pick at the edges I until the nail starts to peel away, but doing my nails really stops me from doing this too often. What it costs me in nail polish saves me in therapy bills!

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I was a serial nail biter. From the time I was about 4 until I was about 34.  It was awful.  I would never wear rings because I never wanted anyone to look at my hands.  Then I had to do some training for work across the country.  I did not want to stand in front of a group of my coworkers with hands that looked like they belonged to a little kid.  I went to a local salon and got artificial tips put on with a very light acrylic coating on top.  At first it was just to get more through the months of training.  Then I liked the way my hands looked with nails so I kept going back.  Now my nails are the fun or edgy part of me.  I'm forever scouring Pinterest for New ideas.  It also helps to have one of the best manicurists ever.  She knows that every time I come in we will be doing something different.

jellybean917

(0) Hearts

I can definitely relate to skin picking. I kind of enjoy popping whiteheads...

But my biggest problem is tweezing out my leg hair. My skin is so sensitive that a red dot appears at every hair I've removed. There are patches on my legs where I went to town and it looks like I have a rash. My skin is so pale with my dark hair that I can see the root through my skin when I shave. I like (at first) when I can't see the hair because I pulled it out by the root! Unfortunately my skin reacts badly to all hair removal...

Titian06

Hi, everyone!  I must be in the wrong place because I am NOT a picker.  I'm a puller.  I have trichotillomania.  I pull out my eyelashes and eyebrows.  In fact, my eyebrows pretty much don't grow in anymore (just some strays here and there).  My eyelashes try, but I usually pull them out the minute I can feel them.  I started doing this around 2000.  Last year was the first year I actually grew my eyelashes in long enough to wear mascara and eyeliner!  That was so awesome!  But that only lasted a month or so, and then I started pulling them out again.  Right now they're about 1/4 length of full-grown lashes.  That's long!

rikkie

[ Edited ]

I definitely had a problem with this for a while, I pulled out most of my lashes and plucked my eyebrows to smithereens by just grabbing a mirror and tweezers ALL the time and spending hours deciding this one hair is out of place, and this one and this one. It was nowhere near full blown trich though and it helped a ton when I moved out of my parents' house. A lot of things got better for a while then actually, I counted down the days until I turned 16 and I was outta there. It was a way to just zone out and not have to cope with anything I think. 

I haven't given up poking at my skin though, all over my arms and legs I get tiny tiny ingrown hairs that skin sort of grows over but it's not irritated, I don't know really, it's weird. I rip off the little bump of skin and squeeze/pull out the multiple little hairs that have been trying to grow there and so I get picking my skin AND pulling hairs all in one go. My skin ends up covered in red spots where I've torn it up and it looks worse than before, ughhh. I wish it would stop doing it. 

roxystar4

@titian06  Im sorry you are struggling with trich. Thank you for sharing what you have a hard time with.  You can totally understand the compulsiveness of picking then.

nebel

Guys, I started a picking support group thread if anyone wants to post there.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/PICKING-SUPPORT-GROUP/m-p/542205#M9040

kenny

Well this thread makes me feel a little better that everyone seems to struggle with skin picking also! I have a hard time just leaving it alone, especially when you get those blemishes that just itch or hurt.

nebel

I agree! I had no idea this was something so many people struggled with!

kenny

I know, especially since it is something that is so heavily preached against

annonymous1

[ Edited ]

My worst bad habit was probably sleeping with my makeup on, i was too lazy to take it off at night :x 

but i changed that by getting a face wash and just trying to be better with taking it off, or always taking a shower at night lol 

mafan

It's not nearly as bad as some things, but I rub my eyes.  I have allergies and they always affect my eyes first.  So if they're itchy, instead of getting up and putting drops in I can rub and rub and rub.  And when you're fast approaching 50, this is not nice for delicate skin at all.  It was agony last year when something dried out my eyelids terribly.

Amazingly, starting to wear eye makeup has helped a lot.  Knowing I have mascara on makes me more often than not stop touching my eyes since I don't want it smeared around my eyes.  I still avoid formulas that smudge like mad because sometimes I can't help it, but I'm much better.  And amazingly, I don't seem to need undereye concealer as often as I did before.

I was terrible about popping whiteheads and fussing at blackheads as a teen.  I'm amazed my skin looks as good as it does now.  Seeing the permanent red spots from broken capillaries helps me be better about treating the few things that pop up and leave them alone.  (I LOVE Bare Minerals' Blemish Therapy.  It makes them go away so much faster.)

DrWould

(0) Hearts

I have allergic conjunctivitis so I know how annoying itchy eyes are. One time I rubbed and rubbed my eye so much that I actually ended up scratching my cornea!! That pain was enough for me to stop my habit of rubbing my eyes. 

kimmi1115

I, kimmi1115, am also a skin picker.  Mine is linked with my OCD, but it is no where near as bad when I was first diagnosed.  I can't recall the formal name for skin picking off the top of my head.

I don't pick at my cuticles as much since I've gotten into nail care and whatnot.  But if I see a hang nail, it has got to go!  I'm also bad about picking at the bottom feet (like crayzeeRN said, "if we're being honest here").  I'm not as bad I used to be, but I've not completely stopped.  I'm slowly learning more about foot care.

meganlovesmakeup

Hi Kimmi1115! The word you were looking for is dermatillomania.  I know because I struggle with dermatillomania, trichotillomania, OCD, and obsessive-nail biting witch also has a name but it was something like ridiculously hard to remember.  

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]

I used to pick the bottom of my feet! I run a lot & am always barefoot so the calluses & peeling are a pain. If I see something that wants to be picked, it will be picked. Ever since we got the Sheex Sheets I've been a lot better. I have to moisturize my feet every night before crawling into bed, or my feet well scratch the sheets. So the past 3 weeks I have been foot picking free :smileyhappy: 

You're right, there is a name for picking & I forget what it is. That must be really tough for you with the OCD & picking. I know you've worked hard to control your urges! 

Ah like @roxystar4 said... it sucks to admit it, but I almost feel better about saying it. Can we start a "no-picking" support thread on here? It seems a lot more of us are guilty of it than we thought :smileysad: 

nebel

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing about a support thread! I had no idea either that so many people had a similar problem! 

I feel better talking about it too!

I'm not so bad with the bottoms of my feet, but I'm *very* bad if I get a blister or something like that. Basically any tear or imperfection gets picked at.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 95 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • meganlovesmakeup
    • kimmi1115