nebel

Confess! What is (or was) your big beauty bad habit? How did you fix it?

Me? I'm a picker- i just can't leave it alone, especially my cuticles.  Even though I know they will wind up worse off if I pick at them, I *just can't help it*  

Keeping my nails nice and my cuticles well groomed *really* helps... if they're not ragged to begin with I won't pick at them! I use a cuticle removing gel to keep them groomed and do my nails at least twice a week.

So let's hear it... what is your beauty bad habit? If you've fixed it, how did you train yourself out if it? 

DTalksAll

Re: Confess! What is (or was) your big beauty bad habit? How did you fix it?

(0) Hearts

I think you should start it! 

I honestly thought I was the only foot picker out there. I feel better A. because I'm not alone & B. those sheets really changed my life & I've gotten so much better. We got the sheex sheets because they wick moisture who knew they'd serve a double purpose... 

nebel

(0) Hearts
bananachoox3

I confess I'm a picker. LOL I used to pick my breakouts but I'm getting use to it now. One thing that I can't stop is peeling my nailpolish off my nails when they chipped. 

crayzeeRN

I have to pop white heads. I cannot STAND to see them on my face. And, if we're being honest here, popping them is kind of satisfying!

I also tend to bite the skin off my lips when I'm nervous or thinking really hard about something.

arielaaaaaaaa

Like others have mentioned, I too pick my skin! I just can't leave me skin alone!! I mostly started when i stopped bitting my nails! I need something to occupy myself when i'm watching tv or something. I'm trying to hard to stop! I'm would rather go back o bitting my nails rather than picking my skin. It's made my skin horrible!!

mxcx

Oh boy, pretty much everything that everyone's mentioned so far! ): I used to pick at breakouts, which was all bad, and when I tried to stop that, I started picking at my lips (lol). And then when I wanted to stop picking, I started biting my lips.. no wonder they're always chapped and dry sigh. 

I ALSO have this obsession with "fixing" my makeup, especially eyeshadow/eyeliner/nail polish. I'll put on my eye makeup and it'll look absolutely fine, but I'll stare at it at different angles and figure which miniscule spot could use a dot more eyeliner, where I could layer on one more speck of eyeshadow.. and then end up overdoing the entire look. -___- Same with nail polish! I'll find that one spot next to my cuticle that is a little uneven and try to fix it, and then end up making it worse and having to redo the entire nail. Absolute fail every time, and I repeat it every time. )):

DTalksAll

I'm a picker. I get milia and when I feel one close to the surface I try to pick them out. It's horrible! I know it's bad, I know I won't get it out cleanly, I know it will leave a mark for a few weeks, I know it will leave a spot for months... I just can't help it. I've gotten better since I recently turned 30 & I know cell turnover starts to slow, but every once in a while I'll still try to pick. 

Another bad habit is I never finish skin care products. I'm always searching for the "best" and never really give products a chance. There are a few I love and have finished & repurchased, but I jump around a lot. 

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

@dannyc  I know how you feel about picking. I get milia around my eyes from certain eye creams (I have gotten rid of those creams) but if I try a new cream it can happen again. I feel like if I don't pick them, they will just stay there.  It I do pick them, I get red marks and I have noticed a slowing down in how quickly I heal (turning 30 soon). 

roxystar4

picking my skin. It is a really bad habit of mine. ive gotten a lot better, but still notice that if I am stressed or upset I somehow find myself in the bathroom in front of the mirror.

(this was hard for me to type/admit)

LolaVal

Picking at my skin is also one of my worst beauty habits.  I've tried really hard to stop and have gotten better at this because I have light skin and the scars stay there forever!  Horrible!!!  

DTalksAll

I was always a picker; huge scar on my chin from when I had stitches as a kid because I picked at the scab constantly. Worse part is I don't need a mirror to pick, I absentmindedly am always picking at something, even while typing away on the computer. Sucks, & I hate admitting it, but it's the truth :smileysad: 

roxystar4

I hearted this not because I like that you are struggling, but that it takes a lot to admit this struggle. I always try to redirect myself if I start picking but sometimes I cant and sometimes I can. It is a grab bag

nebel

I'm kind of glad I started this- I know it's hard to admit bad habits and things that aren't pretty, but I sort of feel like I've gotten a weight off my chest. I didn't know that so many people struggled with the same thing <3

LolaVal

@roxystar4 - you are so sweet!  I too can't control the picking all the time, but slowly trying to get better at it.

@dannyc - I'm just like you - I not only pick at pimples, but I pick at my scabs too.  It drives me so crazy to do it and it also drives me nuts when I try to keep myself from picking and scratching! 

I had a really bad allergic reaction to something (I still don't know what it is) on my legs and arms 2 summers ago that left me with itchy and irritated rashes that mirrored tiny little pimples for almost 3 months.  It was so uncomfortable that I couldn't sleep most nights and the only momentary relief that I got was to scratch and pick at them.  I finally got so fed up with myself that I put on gloves before I went to bed so that I can remind myself not to rip my skin apart.  Of course my scratching left scars on my legs that took almost a year and a half to lighten - and that's with the help of a dermatologist's prescription of skin lightener!  Ever since then, I put "scars!!!" on a post-it note on the mirror in my bathroom to remind myself not to pick at anything else.  So far, this has helped keep my fingers away from my face most of the time and my skin has gotten a lot better.

roxystar4

@LolaVal   That allergic reaction sounds terrible! Im glad your derm could help you with the scarring.  

I have been known to put stickies up around the bathroom too.  My husband is helpful as well, he comes in the bathroom and tells me my skin looks really good (even if I know it doesn't & is all red/picked) and that if I keep picking it will make things worse. He really tries to help me.

nebel

i don't think you're alone with this.  My picking increases with stress as well.  I used to have days when I'd come home from work and my fingers were all bloody from picking and chewing at my cuticles.  My hands would ache and look awful. I wanted to stop it, but couldn't.  Even now, it is only matinence which helps. If i do get a jagged cuticle I'll go right back to my gross mess. 

roxystar4

@nebel  I can sympathize about feeling out of control - wanting to stop but cant. 

Ive also noticed that being tired can also be a trigger.  So at night I make sure to cover my mirror while I am washing my face/getting ready for bed. Even if I have one small zit, if I see it I will start picking. So if I dont see it/feel it- i am totally fine. I think your struggle with your nails would be hard because you can see your nails all the time (unlike me, I dont see my face often throughout the day- only when I go to the bathroom).

consolvo

[ Edited ]

I was a horrible lip biter! I just couldn't stop biting and picking at them.

I've tried countless lip treatments to stop so much skin sloughing off my lips. Some would work for a while, then I'd be back in the same boat again in a week or less. They looked horrible!

Finally, I saw the Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Pink Ice Lip Balm on the clearance page for $9 and bought one. :smileyhappy:

I don't know what it is about it, but it softens quickly without making my lips want to come off in layers. That was in March and my lips have never looked better! Of course, it's no longer available but I was able to snag a few more off an auction site before the price went higher.

It's such a relief and I just rewarded myself recently by popping for the Dior Addict Lip Glow. Love it!

sephoralovex

Peeling my nail polish off. I always mess with my nails when I've had a color on for a couple days or week and once I see it's chipping and all I just start peeling the polish off my nails. And I wont stop till I can't do anymore.. haha. Yeah weird I guess.

rikkie

I drive my husband nuts with this! He hates the sound of it but it's so hard not to do it! Probably not great for my nails either. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 95 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • meganlovesmakeup
    • kimmi1115