kalex

Collections and Wife vs Husband

The other day I had the following exchange with my husband and I thought you all might appreciate it!

Husband - (gestures towards dresser where I have about 40 bottles of perfume displayed) "Do you ever look at all those bottles lined up and think, 'I have a problem'"?

Me - "No."

Husband - "Huh."

Me - "Do you ever look at your one bottle of cologne in the bathroom cabinet and think, 'I wish I had more variety'"?

Husband - "No."

Me - "Huh."

I find that this theme repeats itself often.  My husband has 5 pairs of shoes (black and brown dress shoes and 2 pairs of sneakers) where I have...  I don't know and you can't make me count.  My husband has about 5 pairs of jeans and a dozen t-shirts,  whereas I have vacuum bags of clothes under the bed to swap out seasons because they're not even close to all fitting in my closet or dressers.

That man makes no sense.

What about you and your SO?

MsGoosie

Re: Collections and Wife vs Husband

(0) Hearts

This is absolutely hilarious, and I love your response! XD With me, it's basically "Don't complain about my clothes and makeup hoarding, and I won't complain about your video game obsession."

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

We're equally guilty of video games, but we're moving a lot of things digital. I no longer have banker boxes full of books since getting a Kindle, etc. We've started mutually following Kickstarter now though...

aydasu

I think there is also a psychological side of this story. Whenever my hubby tells me to go buy makeup or supports my habits, I make sure to tell him that he is the best husband ever. I keep telling him that (and it is true!) and this seems to motivate him further :smileyhappy: What an experiment men are :smileyhappy: 

BuxomBabe80

My boyfriend is a serious Batman collector. He will pay hundreds of dollars for a Batman lego set. Our downstairs family room is full of Batman stuff on shelves. I bought him a collection of vintage Batman and other superhero post cards and then framed the best 16 of them and they are filling up a small wall in our family room. So all have our vices. And as others have said, as long as the bills are paid and you have "fun" money, why not enjoy spending it??!

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

My hubby is quite supportive of my makeup collection.  He just wants me to be happy and he knows he has a lot of collections himself.  He buys parts for helicopters planes and his boat, and I buy pretties. Both of us are kept entertained and derive joy from our collections so no foul.

aydasu

My hubby is great. I was on a no-buy for 5 weeks and then I broke it last week. When I told him I broke it, he was more excited than me. He just wants me to be happy while it is a struggle for me to be happy (astrology - cancer here :smileyhappy:) I always feel guilty on buying more and more makeup but on the other hand I just CANNOT stop, man :smileyhappy: 

Mcakes

I love supportive SO's <3 As it should be...I can't imagine being with someone who wasn't happy that I was happy. 

BuxomBabe80

My boyfriend makes fun of how much makeup I own and says, jokingly I think, that I have a problem. But yet when I got a card in the mail about the Rouge event earlier this month he strongly encouraged me to go. He can be really supportive at times and somewhat critical at others. Men! 

After I shared an article about the Louboutin nail polish, he constantly teases me about buying a $50 bottle of nail polish, which I have resisted ... so far. :smileywink:

Sonny4President

(0) Hearts

lol I can honestly say the same with my mom and dad my dad has a single 3 ft. closet of cloths and probably 5 pairs of shoes where my mom has the whole master bedroom closet + my closet where she puts her purses + about 5 unopened boxes from when we moved to this house... which was 3 YEARS AGO LOL... she can't bare to throw them away (or throw anything out for that matter lol)

Personally I wouldn't want 40 bottles LOL I'd probably stick with 5-10. I have 4 currently in my draw that I rarely use - to me, as a guy I like to keep things simplistic and in an instant be able to know and grab where everything is... my vanity isn't too great in my eyes when it comes to storing products to my liking as well

Yuumei

It's nice to know there's someone somewhere that understands :smileyhappy:  Tonight I was asked to count my lippy collection and even I was astonished at how many I had accumulated (in my defense almost half were from free codes or GWP, so that's ok right?) He responded with "no human needs 135 lip glosses" and I looked him right in his face mid sentence and said "Shall we count your dvd collection?" and he stopped and laughed :smileyvery-happy:  I think for the most part we all seem blessed to have great partners. Mine even took me shopping today to find a couple more makeup organizers... which is what prompted the lippy headcount. Luckily I have managed to get him to start using sunscreen & moisturizer, a few facial cleansers and scrubs, and I have him hooked on a few shaving essentials, but he won't even look at a cologne for some odd reason LOL :smileyhappy:  

BuxomBabe80

I stopped counting at 265 lip products. I think my bf truly thought I had lost my darn mind when he saw that. Oops. I tried to keep that number on the DL, but he saw me updating my makeup spreadsheet. LOL

My man also won't wear cologne. Never has. 

thecurvysoprano

I am so, so SO fortunate - my husband ENCOURAGES me to buy makeup/clothes/etc. because he knows it brings me so much joy!  When we first got together I didn't have nearly the confidence I have now, and he sees that me investing in clothes and makeup that makes me feel good pays off - for both me AND him.  :smileyhappy:  He takes me to Sephora and is so, so patient while I shop, even helping me pick out colors.  He is truly wonderful.

Mcakes

(0) Hearts

Aww that is so sweet! 

Shrewdle

(0) Hearts

Wow nice husband you got there! You are one lucky girl thecurvysoprano!! :smileywink:

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

Greyhound, I'm so Jelly! I would so be monopolizing the printer so that I could make some custom pieces for new jewelry.

gogreyhound

Pffft. My husband just got a 3-D printer and laptop to run it.  I figure that giives me the green-light to order and not feel any guilt about my Sephora habit.

I keep telling him he has to make me a lifesize Jensen Ackles with it...

AllyKatVA

You know, the Smithsonian has scanned their T-rex skeleton, and the file is available for anyone who wants to build their own with a 3-D printer... :smileyhappy:

miabt

I love hearing about everyones struggles with our obsession with beauty vs the opposite sex!  My significant other rarely ever questions my excessive shopping habits.  I'm pretty thankful for that :smileywink:  He has his own shopping addictions, so we basically have an unspoken understanding.  He loves his electronics, shoes & clothes, just as I do.  Shoes to him, is as makeup/purses to me.  Our room is pretty ridiculous, to be honest!  We do purge our stuff & donate often, so I'm not sorry at all!!

xo, Mia

lew132

I had to put the last rouge event into terms my hub would understand. "So, imagine if Home Depot had a loyalty program.  And you got an invitation to go during off hours, and talk to dewalt, ryobi, Stanley, etc reps......"  He stopped me there and said "don't even play!"  Tools are very serious to him lol

jellybean917

So true! My fiance and I were in Home Depot the other day and I was being very good, not complaining, even though it was so boring that I thought I might fall asleep. At the end he was like, "Gosh, you were so interested and you didn't complain at all! I owe you a trip to Sephora." Score! :smileywink:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 72 replies
  • 174 hearts
  • 44 in conversation
    • kalex
    • michelleshops
    • ginger304
    • thechicgeek
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4