onomotopoeia9

Challenge - What is your favorite makeup brand @ Sephora and why?

For someone who is new to Sephora, the amount of brands, products, and shades can be so overwhelming!

SO - what brand would you direct someone to and why (like for what product)

starletta8

Re: Challenge - What is your favorite makeup brand @ Sephora and why?

Dior.

Yes, you'll pay for it.  But they do just about everything right!  Try to think of a product that Dior doesn't do well...

I'm still thinking.  There are better products than others, but Dior has so many HG products for many of us, from skincare to nails to those drool-worthy 5-color palettes to the Addict lip products.

incinci

I love Guerlain for their powders, especially the Meteorites beads--I adore the matte yet luminous finish.  I  haven't found that in any other powders (except maybe a couple of Hourglass ones).  And I LOVE the way the container lasts FOREVER!!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Dior and Lorac.

Dior because it's always been one of my favorites in general. And Lorac because it's a new found good surprise.:smileyhappy:

ashhay

(0) Hearts

I  also like Tarte's Amazonian clay blush and illamasqua's cream blush.

orkira

Urban Decay for foundation, eye shadow, eyeliner, lip gloss, and eye shadow primer

Tarte for blush, bb cream, and lip gloss

YSL for lipstick

I still have yet to find a decent face primer and setting powder that I'm pleased with so I can't help there.  :smileysad:

katie1724

Sephora does not carry some of my favorite makeup brands (ones that would make this decision more difficult!), so for me, it's NARS overall. I use the foundation and concealer almost exclusively (I have a few other foundations that I rotate in, but Sheer Glow is the only one I have used consistently), and I love NARS lipstick, blush, glosses, certain eyeshadow shades, etc. While I swear by certain items from other lines (Benefit blush, YSL and Too Faced mascara, Guerlain eyeshadow), overall I have to say NARS. :smileyhappy:

Manda

I agree with Sheer Glow and their lip products and blush.  I haven't tried their lipstick though - my lips tend to hate lipstick.

DTalksAll

This is so hard... Each product from each brand is different. I may like a particular foundation from a brand, but not their other foundations. 

NARS lipgloss 

Benefit blushes

Dior/Lancome foundations

Urban Decay eyeshadows

Givenchy mascaras 

emmaclaire

Oh my goodness, what a great and nearly impossible question!

I think that really depends on preference - and not just personal preference about which brands are best.  It also depends on what someone is LOOKING for.

For example, Make Up For Ever makes my favorite eye products because they are so incredibly pigmented, long-lasting, and come in about ten billion different colors.  But for someone who prefers a light wash of color in a totally natural shade, Make Up For Ever doesn't really fit the bill the best!  For that person, I'd probably recommend Clinique or BECCA.

And don't even get me started on foundations!  We all know how tricky it can be to find your perfect foundation, because everyone is SO DIFFERENT when it comes to their skin or what they want out of their face products, it's almost impossible for me to give a "best brand for foundation" because it is just so subjective.  I will say that my favorite foundation for ME is currently Illamasqua's Skin Base.  So awesome.

For overall product quality, reliability, consistency, and other personal preferences, I guess my favorite brands would be YSL, Dior, and maybe Make Up For Ever (although, like I said, I really don't like their face products!)

It's also tough because some brands are really inconsistent.  For example, I LOVE Smashbox foundations and powders, but the CC cream is terrible on me, I don't like their eyeliner, and I find their lipsticks to be meh at best.  I really love some NARS products, but I have at least two eyeshadows by NARS that are really just terrible, I HATE their eyeshadow pencils, and their matte lipsticks are so incredibly drying on my lips.  

Some brands just continually disappoint me.  Like, and please don't kill me for saying this, Benefit; I've never found a product by Benefit that I've liked enough to re-purchase EXCEPT for their Bad Gal mascara.  But even that is only when I don't have enough for Diorshow.  Same with MAC, although MAC obviously isn't sold at Sephora.

I think trying to get some sort of familiarity with what you, as an individual, are looking for will help figure out which brands would be the best starting points.  Then getting familiar with the brands generally (what they're known for, what they aren't considered great at, etc.) can help you figure out if you want to branch out.  

It definitely is overwhelming to go into Sephora if you don't know what you want!

ashhay

I don't think I could ever narrow that to one brand. I have always loved Clinique because they are about skincare and makeup. I love the luxurious Guerlain line the lipstick and lipstick cases are the perfect mix of opulence and edge. I also love the indie brand bite beauty.....I expects the sky is the limit for that company.

sephoramusthave

Benefit for overall favorite line and NARS is a close second :smileyvery-happy:

crayzeeRN

It's always been about Benefit for me since I was a teenager! First high end makeup item I ever purchased was Benefit Georgia. I have since found products from other brands that I absolutely love, but I am I always excited when I hear Benefit is releasing something new, and most definitely will try their new products out. I own probably half to 3/4 of their products, and could do an entire face solely with Benefit!

mityren

Eyes=Urban decay

Lips=Tarte, Too Faced Lip gloss, YSL

Face=MUFE 

arielaaaaaaaa

Well I have a favorite brand when it comes to different types of makeup, but if i had to say which is my favorite i'd go with Tarte. I've tried many things from them and i've been happy with most purchases. They have a variety of makeup so it's a good starter brand.

MintShake

I'm not in the lingo with lots of cosmetic brands from Sephora, but the ones I know I think they're the best:

Lancome- I love their foundation and how nice it feels on my face. I get a flawless finish and they'res so many colours to choose from

Urban Decay- Best eyeliners and Mascaras, their products are all great 

Nars is excellent. Got to love the blush, their concealer is great too

Makeup Forever: Makeup forever has tons of great products 

maltipoo66

I love Tarte for the really great quality products-everything I've tried from them has been amazing quality, from the blush to the setting powder to their matte bronzer.  I also love their packaging and that the large sized eyeshadows they use in their palettes.

Make Up For Ever is great for anything with pigment and is also great quality.

I've also been really impressed with Stila eyeshadows lately.  They are super pigmented, smooth, and have absolutely no fallout and last all day.

Manda

I am going to have to say Nars, especially since I find their products gentle enough for sensitive skin.  A lot of foundations, I cannot wear but Nars Sheer Glow is my HG!

bittersweet86

I would have to say Kat Von D as well. I just love the names and packaging it's so up my alley with the tattoo and more dark names. The products are all usually a hit from lipsticks to shadows  but my favorite thing from her line has to be the fragrance. I've gotten every single roll on perfume she's made because I find them unique but not too crazy or weird. Though for a small brand she's came out with alot of stuff but I wish some of the things would have a bit more variety since something they're discontinue a eyeshadow palette just to come out with one that is very similar and the more different ones from the normal line up seem to go very quickly. 

Makeup forever and Urban Decay have to be my second choice just because of variety and price (though I wish my sephora had more MUFE)

poemelyric

NARS because they are so reliable colorwise and they have a large range of items and Illamasqua because the colors are so beautiful and dramatic.  NARS is more everyday for me and Illamasqua is my nighttime makeup.

AmyC

My absolute favorite Sephora Brand is Kat Von D because of the quality and pigmentation of her palettes.

Nars because of the color range and how long their blushes/bronzers last.

Urban Decay because of their Naked foundation and how perfect it matches my skin tone. Palettes are pigmented as well.

I have skincare favorites as well!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 33 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • katie1724
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • maltipoo66