placaminero

Cast Members with really bad makeup..

So I bit the bullet and drove to the nearest store that still had the Sun Safety Kit in stock, which was an hour away. While I was there, I spent quite a long time just browsing and swatching lip colors (trying to find a suitable dupe for Dior's It Pink) and there was a Cast Member who repeatedly approached me. Normally, I don't mind this. They're always so friendly and helpful, but I kept trying to avoid this one. I felt so bad, but her makeup was just terrible and every time she spoke to me, I couldn't help but gawk. I have a very telling face and I can't help it, but my expressions say a thousand words and I didn't want to make her uncomfortable under my stare.. But her lilac eyeshadow was clumped on thick from her bushy eyebrows to her flakey, spidery black lashes.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is it just me or is it difficult getting makeup help from someone with terrible makeup? Same with skincare.. I just can't accept help, even if I need it, from someone who has bad skin. Am I too much of a snob? Too judgey? Am I terrible human being? Because it makes me feel horrible, but I can't help it!

katie1724

Re: Cast Members with really bad makeup..

I agree with sephoramusthave in that you have to question is it really terrible makeup or just something you would never do yourself? The cast members at the stores near me sometimes have vivid colors of eyeshadow winged out all the way, or false lashes with glittery feather extensions. Once someone was wearing a neon green / blue combination that reminded me of my Jem dolls (if anyone is old enough to remember those), but it was definitely skillfully applied. It was bright and heavy, with falsies and the whole works, but even though it's a look I would never replicate on myself, it was still well executed. This is not to say that everyone is the same way; many sales associates may not have makeup artistry in their background and may not be as skilled as others. On the other hand, you can also be given bad advice by anyone, whether s/he is made up well or not -- and even the best looking person may not have a clue what s/he's doing. I think it's (unfortunately) human nature to be more inclined to listen to / take advice from attractive, put together people, but the truth is that anyone can really know their stuff -- it just depends on the person. 

As far as skin goes, some people are incredibly lucky in the genetics department, and others can try absolutely everything under the sun and still suffer from acne throughout adulthood -- so while they may not be able to speak from personal experience in terms of what really worked (personally), they may have really done research or be really experienced from having worked in the field for so long.

beautylovingirl

I absolutely agree on the skin care part ya'll are right there are some times no matter what, your skin does it's own thing. I wouldn't even begin to say anything like that my only issue would be the makeup.:smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@nebel- That's exactly what I mean if I can actually give them pointers on their makeup I'm sure not to ask them for any kind of advice.:smileyhappy:

nebel

Bad makeup is one thing... it is there job to wear makeup, sell makeup, and do makeup on others.  I will not seek help from associates if I judge my skill level to be above theirs.

I can't agree with the bad skin though... I've had my share of adult acne and honestly some times there's nothing, NOTHING for it. It does not reflect on a makeup artist's ability at all just because he or she has acne. 

Kerandria

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Are the SAs at Sephora supposed to be MUAs? The only Sephora in my region is inside of a JCPenney, and the cast members don't stand out at all from the rest of the store employees as far as uniform, makeup et al.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I think Sephora in JCPenney probably has different guidelines than the free-standing Sephora stores; the associates (I'm guessing) are also employees of JC Penney and likely have to adhere to its company standards.

cefrd13

Exactly, no matter what products/routines you use. Sometimes you are just at the liberty of genetics and horomones for your skin texture. :/

nebel

@cefrd13 Yup! And hormones can change as we age/get pregnant/go on medications... so what might have worked for us in the past suddenly DOESN'T, which can be very frustrating.  I had really nice skin in my early twenties, had a skincare regimen that was working well for me, then, out of no where as I hit thirty, BAM! hello adult acne!  Suddenly I had to come up with a whole new way to treat my skin... It has been over a year now and I'm finally getting it back under control!  Still not where I was at 25, but better!

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I hear you! I had no skin issues in my teens up until my late twenties, then all of a sudden, random cysts! Awful. They're gone now and I'm still not sure what happened (I have a few theories), but it can strike no matter what you're doing to prevent it (I used Retin-A before, during and after, and even that didn't help).

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

@nebel Im glad you brought up hormones & pregnancy. When I was pregnant I got a crazy rash around my mouth (think rash beard) and in between my eyes. It was so hideous and made me feel really self conscious. (like gaining 27 lbs was enough). Even medications from the derm did not even touch it. I delivered my son and with a few days it was GONE. 

I tried to cover it with foundation but it looked really bad. There was nothing I could do to help it. 

sephoramusthave

I know what you mean but as someone that works in cosmetics know that *no one* teaches these girls how to properly apply their makeup. No one taught me----I know what I'm doing and get complimented on my makeup often because I spend an insane amount of time on youtube looking at makeup tutorials and trying different products to see what works best for me. Also there's bad makeup application and makeup that's not your thing. If you like a more neutral look than someone with bright emerald green eyeshadow might look a bit runway and out there to you, but that doesn't mean that their makeup is poorly done---it just might not be your cup of tea.

aviscardi

I honestly don't always look for help for a color unless I'm looking for a specific product.  Most of the time they try to suggest a color that does not match at all. And a lot of the times they're the ones that wear a ton of makeup that to me is not my style.  I have one girl that I love talking to though :smileywink:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I have had this happen numerous times and like you my facial expressions tell all, it's almost the same look you would have if she had three heads. I have found myself a lot just quickly saying no thank you I'm just looking, because to me if their makeup looks bad and they work around makeup all the time, I don't take that chance to end up looking like them. It's sad that you as a customer could actually help improve the cast member's makeup.

Apocalyptica

[ Edited ]

I can't lie, when you mentioned the skin care part I got kinda sad. I've never in my life had completely clear skin. No matter what I do, what I use, how many times I do it or anything (its partly because of where I am currently living). I've even seen a dermatologist who was of no help. I'm trying to get a job right now in the makeup section of a few stores. I often wonder if people look at me and just see horrible skin since I don't wear foundation and I wonder if that would break my chances of getting a job like that. On a happier note I'm hoping a Clarisonic for Christmas may help. :smileyhappy:

Now on topic - I have noticed that alot of the women working at Sephora (and makeup counters in general) seem to over do their makeup but others look absolutely awesome, so I suppose its just like the real world.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

It would be like going into a high end boutique and seeing the SA wear junky looking designer clothing. Yes it may be designer but not all designer looks good.

I dont blame you for not wanting recommendations from this crew member.

It's about style and if someone's style is dramatically different from my own, why would I take advice from them?

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

I definitely understand this. As someone who goes for mostly natural looking makeup, it is hard for me to relate to someone who wears the... lets say 'bolder'...makeup the Sephora cast members sometimes wear. I'd prefer to get product recommendations and advise from someone who appreciates the same type of look as I do. Not to mention, it also makes me not want to use any of the makeover coupons we get! (I'm also allergic to a lot of makeup ingredients, which doesn't help!)

Daniela1387

I have to agree with your post. I find that a lot of the sales associates in my Sephora tend to wear makeup on steroids! Theres typically a lot going on from the eyeshadows to the lips to the face to the everywhere else. I understand the concept of being artistic with makeup however I feel as though Sephora should become more aware of the employees who have enveloped themselves in a cocoon of too much/badly applied/scary looking makeup and address it. As a customer I will be deterred from any upselling any employee who looks a hot mess is trying to make when they say ooo this palette is fabulous I did this makeup look with it. This is a business like any other and the associates are there to help sell products and frankly I will not buy products from a person who looks like they came out of a clown car. 

garnett

My issues are usually based more on personality than appearance.  If the sales help is snotty or pushy, they can go take a hike and I find someone else to deal with.  That rarely happens to me at Sephora but I have lots of stories about department store cosmetic counters. 

That said, I do find that many of the young cast members wear too much makeup and by that I mean they have on too many layers or have applied it too thickly.  When I see that I can't help but  think that they are either trying to cover up certain flaws or they are trying to use too many products at one time. I feel like someone at Sephora should be instructing/helping them deal with their issues and techniques.

Some cast members do a very artistic look that is definitely not what most woman normally wear but they are in the beauty business and trying to catch your attention with this application. I have purchased products that they are wearing artistically and adapted them to my more "normal" look.

I find that most cast members are very good at helping me find makeup products when I explain what I am looking for.  I do  tend to seek out a cast member closer to my age when I am looking for new skincare products because they are more familiar with maturing skin. 

I guess we all have things that turn us off and that's normal. The important thing is we do not allow ourselves to be rude or unkind when trying to avoid the people that we find difficult to deal with.

kalex

Oh there are lots of us who have this experience before!  I'm sure if you played with the wording in the search bar you'd come across a few other threads along the same topic.  Some of the stories are good for a laugh if I recall correctly.

It doesn't make you a snob or judgey if you're being polite about it.  It's practical not to take advice from someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about and/or doesn't have the same taste as you do.

I almost laughed out loud once at the brightly colored eye makeup of a cast member.  My first thought was that she looked like she was trying to be a peacock.  I thought she looked ridiculous but the mere fact that companies make those shades mean that some people think they look good.  In this case it was simply a difference in taste but I still wouldn't take her advice.

In terms of skincare I think it depends.  If the person has acne it isn't necessarily because they don't know what they're doing.  Some of us just can't get rid of it no matter what we do!  If they have horribly flaky, uneven skin tone, or deep wrinkles and are trying to sell you an exfoliator, skin tone corrector, or wrinkle cream though that might be a different story.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 34 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • sephoramusthave
    • aviscardi
    • roxystar4
    • cefrd13