KrispiKreme

Can we talk returns? What justifies it to you?

Do you return everything that you don't love or do you just chalk it up to poor decision making? I'm not talking about if you picked the wrong color foundation or something is defective. Do you return it if there's nothing actually wrong with the product but it looks awful on you.

I just got my order for the Ardency Inn Black Is Blue lipstick (which I was OMGZ so excited for) only to find out that it totally washes out my skintone and slides off super quickly. There's nothing WRONG with it but I don't ever plan on using it.

makeupmaven

Re: Can we talk returns? What justifies it to you?

I'm in the same boat, I usually have an opportunity to try something before buying it...so I don't typically buy things that I don't like. If I like something at first and then eventually don't, one of my friends will usually take it off my hands.

If something is actually defective or doesn't agree with me at all, then I will return it. If it's defective, it's helpful for the manufacturer/ store, etc to receive this type of return to know about the issue and work to resolve it. With this in mind it's incredibly rare that I need to return something.

marydiva

Amen :smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

If something doesnt work out for me I usually will return it. That being it hardly ever happens since I usually look up reviews/swatches (A TON) or visit a store before buying (if online). If not return, I will exchange. But I never ever keep a product I know I'm not going to use, it's a waste of my money.

ghkim

if its a bad color for me - not just foundation, but lipstick, blush, bronzer, etc - then i will usually just exchange it for another color. if i buy something online and then, after receiving it, see that it's not what i expected, i will return that too (this happened to me with false lashes - they looked much more over the top in person). i once returned an eye pigment that just looked really choppy on my lids and did not apply well. if i were you, i'd return your product since you dont like the color or the formulation. i don't feel bad about returning products that i don't like as long as i am buying way more than i am returning. i am guessing i return around 1 in 20 purchases or so.

saturnwings

Considering the lipstick you bought says it's supposed to have lasting power, I'd return it.

That's sort of like buying waterproof mascara and having it smudge on you.  Maybe it isn't completely the product's fault, but something that's supposed to have staying power and doesn't gives you justifiable reason to return something, I think.

aviscardi

I think 9/10 i wind up just exchanging it since i already spent the money. but if i didn't like the product then i just return it and will get something at a later date. i had 2 returns to make and purposely made them do it as a return without a receipt so i could have it as store credit for vib week (i only had 1 receipt)

CaitlinBrunson

I typically try to make a product work for me. Makeup I test in store so rarely will I purchase something I don't like but sometimes those sales associates get me. I try and see how I can make it work, typically by mixing it with another product or something.

However, I normally return skincare stuff if doesn't work for me. Makeup you can change, skin you can't! 

Candy357

I do this alot.
Where the color obviously looks diff on the screen and then when I get it, it is
not what I was expecting.
So either I give it away, gift it, donate or I re-sell it on ebay for cheaper!
Because I don't want to lose points or exchange, hahahaa I am so lazy.
Plus I hate bothering them.

IttyxBittyxMe

If something doesn't look good on me, I exchange it. If something breaks me out, I exchange it. If a product is just sitting there and I don't touch it after a month or so, I exchange it. I haven't returned anything to Sephora yet, I've only done exchanges. I'm not interested in getting my money back, I just want to find a product that works for me.

kelsey808

[ Edited ]

I agree that you should return it, it wasn't exactly what you thought you were buying since it doesn't work for your skin tone. I'll always return something if it's the wrong color or if my skin has a reaction to it, but if I've used something more than two or three times I usually just keep it.

brittany0859

If something doesn't look good on me, I'll return it. If I'm never going to use it then it's just a waste of money. If it's just an okay product, nothing special I'll usually keep it. I only return stuff if it makes me breakout, looks bad, etc

clarks18

I say return it.  If it doesn't work for you and you will never use it, you have every right to go get your money back.  Most likely you will spend it at Sephora anyway for a different product. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 54 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • sephoralovex
    • theramenlover