officegal

CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

[ Edited ]

I realize a lot of us are in the same boat, being addicted to makeup and beauty products and desperately trying to control stashes that are bursting from train cases, drawers and cabinets.  We have the Traveling Sephora Box ("TSB") to swap products with one another and temper some of the addiction cravings to go out and get new stuff.  I have another idea to assist with resisting the temptation to continually buy new things.

I propose that for an entire week, we shop our own stash and dig up things that we haven't touched for a long time.  Whatever you've accrued the most of, each day put on something different, whether it's eye shadow or blush or lipstick.  Then report back here and post what you wore each day!

I'm going to wear a different eye shadow, lippie, and blush each day.  I have so many of all three categories but always find myself reaching for the same colours. It's time to branch out!

For example, tomorrow I'm going to wear:

- Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in "Pale Pink" for blush

- Dior Lip Glow

- Stila Eye Shadow in "Chill"

I haven't touched all three of those in weeks and months.

runy

Re: CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

(0) Hearts

Oh yea I forgot to mention, as I am keeping myself from buying my makeup wishlist is growing...  I'm trying to get only Limited Edition stuff first, but it is HARD to hold back the urges to get some of the things I've been wanting for a while!

daisy346

(0) Hearts

It's VERY hard. I loaded my cart about a week ago but waited to order it and by later that day the urge wasn't as strong. Now I'm just leaving it like that, waiting to see what deals February might bring. 

officegal

Today I wore:

- foundation (not pictured - blend of L'Oreal True Match and Cargo Oil Free Lightweight)

- MUFE HD Invisible Cover Concealer

- MUFE HD Microfinish Powder

- Cover FX Radiant FX Luminescent Powder in Platinum

- Cargo SuedeBlush in Montebello

- Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow in Shore as primer (works really well with the Revlon cream shadows below - without it the Revlon shadows crease hopelessly within an hour!)

- Revlon Illuminance Creme EyeShadow Quad in Not Just Nudes (palest shade for brow highlight; medium brown on crease)

- Clinique Chubby Stick in 02 Whole Lotta Honey (wonderful nude - and sorry, this was a recent purchase :smileyhappy:)

- L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara in Black

img 003.jpg

daisy346

I really enjoy the pics, sarithor! 

I was lucky enough to get the coralista 500-point perk while they still had it. I haven't opened it yet...too much other stuff in rotation now. 

I agree, makeup lasts a long time if you keep your brushes clean, especially things like eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush, etc. The only thing I toss on a regular basis is mascara. That I do think is important not to keep too long, plus it dries out anyway. Because of that, I learned not to have more than 1 or 2 in use at the same time. Before I realized that, I wasted a lot of mascara. The other thing that can get old is liquid foundation...it separates & turns a weird color. Otherwise, things last a long time if you're careful with them. I have eyeshadows that are quite a few years old and they're still perfectly fine.

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

@sarithor: I LOVE that look! Thanks for always posting pics! I had a birthday dinner for my friend last night and I did a look similar to that. I did the cat's eye liner, falsies, Kat Von D livewire duo ( I got this in a swap). And UD lipliner in GASH. My husband prefers when I wear lipliner as lipstick because then he doesn't get beglittered and glossed when he kisses me.

@daisy346: I learned my lesson about mascara, too. I only have to open at any given time because I hate wasting makeup, and I have SOOOO many mascaras right now!!!!!

officegal

(0) Hearts

Love the bright lips, sarithor!

I tried my new 500 points perk Coralista for the first time yesterday.  It's not as pigmented as I thought it might be, but I should have known since Benefit boxes make it a point to keep the colours universal and subtle.

And as I thought, today is no makeup day!  But I will have to go through my stash to line up this week's looks.  :smileyhappy:

sarithor

(0) Hearts

yeah today is a no make up day for me as well...so is tomorrow, Sunday and Monday are usually my make ups week-end... alot of times they are extended too haha.

Thank you everyone for the compliments though, my husband yesterday was like "woah thats a bright lipstick!" haha. Thats why I rarely wear it, or any lip stuff really. He hates them all haha. I still buy them though.... just because I still want them. He's more into dark eye make up, which is soo funny to me. He says he doesn't but, every actress, or anyone he sees with a lot of dark make up he thinks their hot. For example he likes Kat Von D more than Sandra Bullock. Sandra Bullock is more of a natural beauty and Kat Von D usually has a lot of make up and usually a lot of dark make up. His favorite is Megan Fox though lol. She doesn't really wear dark eye make up, but to me, she seems to just have like a darker personality... I dunno I can't explain it. But she has dark hair, which he loves. But yeah, if I do a darker smokey eye, he always more willing to comment like " you look beautiful today" haha, totally the opposite of what you read in magazines of what most guys like.

I agree with the mascara thing. I have quite a few mascaras, but a lot of them are sample sizes. I only have 3 full size ones, and ones time has come to be thrown out I believe. My buxom one. Now, I just have my Laura Mercier Full Blown Mascara and my Maybelline The Falsies Mascara...which I usually use with another mascara. Like I create Volume with Laura Mercier and I create length with the Falsies.

I haven't gotten my order with the free Coralista yet!! It takes FOREVER to get stuff here. I ordered it last... Saturday, and It will be here tomorrow.  I live in the middle of no where haha, plus the website even says it takes longer to get to the west coast than the east coast. Which is why I miss living in VA. I would order something and it would be there like 2-3 days later. Sephora needs to make a distrubition center in the mid-west at least.

mermadelove

@officegal and sarithor: I'm kinda jealous that you guys got the Coralista bonus. But then again, I really don't need another mascara, and I ended up getting the natural blush from TArte.

My husband is funny with makeup, too. He says to me : "You don't need false eyelashes." When I started to play around with them, but hten when we went to the movies last week, he said to the guy who we bought our tickets from "Doesn't she look beautiful tonight?", totally embarassing me! We live in  a small town and there' s only one movie theather, so we see them all the time, making it EXTRA embarrasing!

I wore no makeup today........

sarithor

(0) Hearts

@mermadelove, oh the joy of living in a small town lol. Same thing here, one movie theatre, but I go by myself. My husband hates going to the movies and we have completely different movie tastes. So, I will go by myself, I actually prefer it. You don't have to worry about deciding on a movie with anyone and you can get what snacks you want, if you want some. You also get to sit where ever you want and you dont have to worry about some one yapping in your ear haha. Its actually really relaxing to me. Its like my own personal me time.

Thats soo sweet that your husband compliments you in front of people! I wish mine would do something like that haha. The most he's ever done that I can remember is, we went bowling with a big group of friends and he told everyone that he wanted to play a game of pool with just me and we would be back later (there were some pool tables in the bowling alley as well)... I thought that was soo romantic haha. It was like a mini date within a group outing. He just wanted to spend a little me and him time together.

kalex

That is sweet but I wouldn've been mortified as well!  I am not what you can consider mushy or romantic and I married the epitome of the strong and silent type.  My husband has told me more than once, "If I don't say anything, you can assume that it's fine."  This applies to everything from how I look, how dinner is etc...   He will tell me if he doesn't like something.  

sarithor

kalex wrote:

That is sweet but I wouldn've been mortified as well!  I am not what you can consider mushy or romantic and I married the epitome of the strong and silent type.  My husband has told me more than once, "If I don't say anything, you can assume that it's fine."  This applies to everything from how I look, how dinner is etc...   He will tell me if he doesn't like something.  

LMAO! My hubby has the strong part down... but the silent... he needs to work on it lol. He's one of those guys you can tell when he was a little kid he was really mean to the girls he liked. He sooo charismatic, always the life of the party, class clown type of guy. He's one of the guys who if you dare him to do something he will, and he will wear something JUST because its funny. So, if he does something nice or says something nice, it means the world to me, cause its outside his comfort zone, if he isn't cracking a joke.

Well, today I got my order from sephora... so I wasn't going to wear make up today....but.... I did! haha... and I know its not out of my stash, but I wanted to share still! Took some pics. I ordered a Sephora Collection Age Defying Serum and 2 fingernail polish, but I use some of my points to get the 500 point perk for the free coralista and bad gal lash and I use a 100 to get a benefit lipstick in "Lady's Choice" which to me, is the exact same color as Too Faced "Totally Nude", so yeah.. total dupe, if you have the too faced one, then you definitely have the benefit one lol. I loved the Coralista, I love that it has a rosy scent... its pretty. I also loved the Bad Gal Lash.. the brush is really big, so it was kind of hard to work with, but it really lengthened my lashes. The finger nail colors I got are Just a Little Dangerous and Read My Palm by Sephora by O.P.I. they are both really pretty colors. Took some pics of course and I added a pic of my husband joking around when he was in the Navy... Yes..... he did let some one shave a 'T' into his chest hair haha.

seansupert.jpgcoralistalook.jpgcoralista.jpgnails.jpg

kalex

Your husband's so cute!  Love me a bald-headed man!  :smileyhappy:

My husband was in the Air Force and he still has his hair cut like that.  His physique though... not so much the same!  6 years of not being forced to work out and my love of baking has taken it's toll on his waistline!

Nice haul too!  My Fresh Brown Sugar gift set isn't going to get here until Wednesday!  Was that you that mentioned you wish there was a shipping facility in the midwest?  Me too!  That's a full week of waiting for my order!

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

@Kalex: when I read your post I was SO happy I live on the east coast! It actually takes LONGER if I pay for rush delivery!!!

sarithor

(0) Hearts

@Kalex, yeah he has hair now that he is out, though I wish he would just keep the shaved hair cause he doesn't take care of his hair ever lol. I have to remind him to comb it cause it will be all over the place. He can keep up with his beard, but he can't with his hair.. too funny. He was just about to get off the boat in the picture so he is super skinny. Probably 10-15 lbs smaller than usually is. He usually lost about that everytime he went out. Its not that they starve them on the ship...well... yeah they don't intentionally starve them lol, but he worked 16 hours a day in the hot hot sun on an aircraft carrier with a black top flight line that made it about 120 degrees on the flight deck and he had to wear long sleeve shirts, thick pants, boots, a life vest type thing and a helmet all day long. So he just sweated off all his weight, plus you have to eat what they serve which isn't always the best (rarely ever good food haha)...so yeah.. he was normally bigger than he is in that picture... but he is probably even a little bit bigger than he was in the Navy, off the ship, since he doesn't have to run all the time haha.

Yep, that was me about having a distriubtion center in the mid west. That way it could be the same delivery to the east coast and the west coast. Just put it alllll in the middle lol. I hate having to wait that long... but its either that or an hour and a half (one way) drive to the closest sephora which is a JcPenney one, so its not even a full one :smileysad:

daisy346

(0) Hearts

I guess I'm lucky. I only have a 15 minute drive to the closest Sephora, and my online orders get here pretty quickly. Although the Sephora store that's close to me isn't as good as the one that's an hour away- I always used to shop at that one before this one opened. I was so excited to get a Sephora nearby but it isn't nearly as big or nice as the one I was used to. Still, it's convenient if I need to pick something up or use a coupon.

mermadelove

@steph1126: Nowhere did anybody say we were using expired stuff....... Just stuff we hadn't used in a while. And I think most of us know how to tell whether something is expired or not, regardless of the expiration date. Many things last waaaaaay beyond the marked expiration date--especially if you are meticulous about cleaning your brushes. The suggestion to throw things away every 6 months and replace it is an excellent way for the industry to increase sales........

None of us here have an issue with not wanting to spend on makeup , so I hardly think we would risk our health over it! LOL!

steph1126

(0) Hearts

My mistake.....had it been clear to me (and apparently I have no common sense) what was meant I would not have posted. Dare I say that some people do not know about exp dates (not sure where the six month thing your mentioned came from) and may look at this and put clumpy mascara on? Not everyone who posts or just reads  knows as much about make up as some others....they may be reading to learn.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@steph1126: I don't think anyone is unaware of expiration dates. Eyeshadow and blush are often good for two years -- hence (as you mentioned!) the indicator on it (24M in most cases)...and, besides, the "Shop Your Own Stash" doesn't equate to "Dig Out Expired Lip Gloss You've Had Since Middle School." I, along with many of us, have shadows, blushes and lip color that are merely months old and somehow already forgotten and abandoned for new favorites -- so this thread is in that vein. No one is advocating the use of expired makeup, nor would anyone actually use mascara or lip gloss that is old and/or separating... it's just common sense.

steph1126

(0) Hearts

Glad to hear it! I would not have posted my comment had it been clear thats what was meant......I guess my common sense is broken

kalex

(0) Hearts

@officegal - runy had a thread "Itching for a buy" where I mentioned shopping my stash to deter myself from buying more.  I also sort of scolded myself for not having taken my own advice a couple of weeks earlier when I repurchased a Smashbox eyeshadow that already had that was still unopened! 

@sarithor - Thanks for continuing to talk me out of keeping the Stila set!  You are right - I already have lippies in similar colors!

So today I dug thru my drawers and buried deep down I found and used -

Lancome Oscillation Powder Foundation (I hate that sponge something fierce)

Dior Eyeshadow Palette "Pearl Glow"

MAC MSF Blush "Petticoat"

daisy346

(0) Hearts

I can't wait to do this. I moved 2 weeks ago on Saturday & while packing I found all kinds of brand-new stuff that I told myself I'm going to use. But unpacking is going slowly & I haven't found nearly all of my stuff yet so I'll have to wait until I can get organized.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 358 replies
  • 319 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • kalex
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • sarithor
    • officegal