officegal

CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

[ Edited ]

I realize a lot of us are in the same boat, being addicted to makeup and beauty products and desperately trying to control stashes that are bursting from train cases, drawers and cabinets.  We have the Traveling Sephora Box ("TSB") to swap products with one another and temper some of the addiction cravings to go out and get new stuff.  I have another idea to assist with resisting the temptation to continually buy new things.

I propose that for an entire week, we shop our own stash and dig up things that we haven't touched for a long time.  Whatever you've accrued the most of, each day put on something different, whether it's eye shadow or blush or lipstick.  Then report back here and post what you wore each day!

I'm going to wear a different eye shadow, lippie, and blush each day.  I have so many of all three categories but always find myself reaching for the same colours. It's time to branch out!

For example, tomorrow I'm going to wear:

- Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in "Pale Pink" for blush

- Dior Lip Glow

- Stila Eye Shadow in "Chill"

I haven't touched all three of those in weeks and months.

daisy346

Re: CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

What a bad, bad girl you are! Let us know what you purchase & how it works out for you. We have to feed our hunger somehow :smileyhappy:

mermadelove

daisy346 wrote:

What a bad, bad girl you are! Let us know what you purchase & how it works out for you. We have to feed our hunger somehow :smileyhappy:

Well, I HAD to get some of those 24/7 eye shadow pencils......and the new Tarte Amazonian clay blush. I NEEDED a coral and since the 500 point perk for Coralista was gone by the time I was ready to order, I figured I should just order a more natural blush......and I NEEDED the All Nighter make up setting spray. My foundation was rubbing off on my winter coats and scarves....... And the Midnight Mambo nail polish was limited edition and y'all know how much I love sparkles......and.........

and........

................hopeless junkie dedicated collector............

:smileyvery-happy:

officegal

[ Edited ]

I didn't see this earlier!

mermadelove wrote:

Well, I HAD to get some of those 24/7 eye shadow pencils......and the new Tarte Amazonian clay blush. I NEEDED a coral and since the 500 point perk for Coralista was gone by the time I was ready to order, I figured I should just order a more natural blush......and I NEEDED the All Nighter make up setting spray. My foundation was rubbing off on my winter coats and scarves....... And the Midnight Mambo nail polish was limited edition and y'all know how much I love sparkles......and.........

and........

................hopeless junkie dedicated collector............

:smileyvery-happy:

Umm... how is the Tarte clay blush?  *soooooooo curious!!!*  Thank goodness I got my Coralista in time, phew!

Since we're confessing, I actually did some drugstore shopping recently and also picked up some haircare stuff today for an amazing deal.  $5 each for a Phyto elixir and Kevin Murphy style cream!  I saved like $50 right there.  Other stuff were $2 lip balms (NYC, Bath & Body, Lip Smackers).

My god, we are hopeless.

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

@officegal: I'll let all you ladies know about the items in the new haul as soon as I get it. I only ordered yesterday!!! I was kinda bummed not to be able to get the 500 point perk I wanted. I have so much skincare right now that the Boscia set didn't appeal to me, although I have tried some of their stuff and like it. I don't love it, so I didn't ge tthe perk. Although Idid hear from katekatastrophe that Sephora is going to start 1000 point perks soon ( she works for them) so our beauty junkieness will be paying off!!!! I hope it's a good one. Or Ihope they have a UD or Tarte perk soon. I love those brands!

kalex

@mermadelove "Although Idid hear from katekatastrophe that Sephora is going to start 1000 point perks"

NOOOO!  That will just encourage me to shop more!  I'm at 900 points right now.  I don't need incentive to shop!  The 500pt perks lately have actually been a deterrent to shopping... I tell myself I'll wait to buy most of what I want when there's something good! 

mermadelove

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

kalex wrote:

@mermadelove "Although Idid hear from katekatastrophe that Sephora is going to start 1000 point perks"

NOOOO!  That will just encourage me to shop more!  I'm at 900 points right now.  I don't need incentive to shop!  The 500pt perks lately have actually been a deterrent to shopping... I tell myself I'll wait to buy most of what I want when there's something good! 

Tell me about it........ Ithink that's the whole idea!! I'm over a thousand now so I was gonna get the Coralista, but sinc eit's gone, I'm forced to hold out for something better-- and refill my cart-- but not just yet-- I have to let the order I just placed get to me first!

sarithor

Today I wore my Maybelline New York ExpertWear Eye Shadow Quad in Velvet Crush. I also tried a new technique with it. I read a couple weeks ago in Beauty and the Blog that this girl uses lip gloss/chap stick as an eyeshadow primer to make the colors more vivid. So, I thought I try it and it really worked!!! It didn't crease like one girl commented on that blog said it probably would. I bought all these eyeshadow quads from Maybelline, and I never thought there was a big color pay off, even with regular eye shadow primer. But this trick definitely helped! I used my favorite lip balm. C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve, I buy it a Bath and Body Works, cause they always have some type of lip gloss sale, and I usually get that one, and the C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Lip Gloss, and then I usually get another for free or something haha.

maybelline.jpgmaybellinelook.jpg

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

That looks great, sarithor!!!!!

officegal

I'm so glad we're rediscovering so many great things in our stash!

I try not to wear makeup when I don't have any plans... it might be Sunday this week.

I took a pic of today's products as well, though I'm not as brave as Sarithor is with displaying the artwork.  (It's all a mess now at the end of the day anyway.)  The shadow is a Sephora Collection palette called "Jungle Chic" and I wore the dark shade at the very top, keeping it near the lashline and within the crease only.

I also decided to put my perfume into regular rotation since some have become neglected even though I love all my perfume.

IMG_1538.JPG

katie1724

(0) Hearts

@officegal: I really love that Sephora shadow palette, too! It would be really pretty for highlighting... 8)  (<---- crazy eyes, not sunglasses)

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@mermadelove: HAHAHAH at "CRASH" that's me falling off the bandwagon

SO true. 

xoxo,

Your fellow beauty "collector"

: )

sarithor

@Officegal, Omg I want that sephora palette now, it looks soo pretty!!! Yeah, I don't expect everyone to be like me when it comes to pictures lol. I've never been shy about pictures of myself. I love ugly pictures of me, I don't know why lol.  Not saying the ones I've posted so far are that ugly, just meaning I have waaay worse pictures that I will make my facebook profile picture haha. I have such bad pictures that I make public that regular ones, look fabulous to me lol. I have no problem leaving the house looking like a disaster. apparently I rarely match according to my sister haha. She was telling me that the other day. She likes it, she says she wishes she could be more like me, more care-free. I don't even see it as being care-free, I just wear whats comfortable I don't even think about the colors haha. I will go out with a blue shirt with a bright yellow tank top underneath showing, with pink flip flops and a bright purple purse haha. I need to practice on the matching thing though.

mermadelove

sarithor wrote:

I have no problem leaving the house looking like a disaster. apparently I rarely match according to my sister haha. She was telling me that the other day. She likes it, she says she wishes she could be more like me, more care-free. I don't even see it as being care-free, I just wear whats comfortable I don't even think about the colors haha. I will go out with a blue shirt with a bright yellow tank top underneath showing, with pink flip flops and a bright purple purse haha. I need to practice on the matching thing though.

I used to live in a really artsy, funky 5 college town. So many people wore such weird outfits there. It was REALLY a fun place to live! I once had a friend from there tell me "Not matching on purpose is sorta like matching." When I was getting dressed one day and couldn't find a matching piece. I'm kinda "matching crazy." Usually my underwear matches mt clothes, which matches my nail polish..... It comes from my mum who used to make me match my NIGHTGOWNS to my bedroom decor. I found this annoying. I'd be like "Mummie, NObody is watching me SLEEP!!!" :smileymad:

katie1724

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Love the photo, sarithor!

And, here's how long my resolve lasted...NARS was having an event today at Nordstrom -- which my favorite makeup artist called to about. Could I have lied and said I had dinner plans? Had to work late? Used ANY excuse? Yes. Did I? No. FAIL!

Soooo, I went to NARS (I love having my makeup done because it always gives me new ideas) and I DID exercise a bit of self restraint (they always use 5,000 products) but they had a really cute Valentine's Day Tainted Love Set, with the Angelika multiple and gloss and a Schiap nail polish...it's $59, but really, it's a $78 value...and I bought the eyeshadow duo in Jolie Poupée -- it's a purpley duo. I might return it, or both items. Both of these are sold at Sephora, anyway, where I can get VIB points. I have a weakness for limited editions, but re: Tainted Love, I already have the Multiple in Riviera, which is pink (but a *different* pink!)...and the Angelika gloss is pretty...but I don't REALLY need the Schiap polish. The eyeshadow duo is pretty, and while I don't own many purples, I have the NAKED palette to use...aagh. Return?

Okay, that was long-winded...

officegal

(0) Hearts

@sarithor - That was an old palette that Sephora was clearing out in the fall and I got it for 50% off.  I don't think they have the same one anymore. :smileysad:

@katie - It sounds like you need to return them both!  Or at the very least return the Tainted set since you don't sound crazy about the items.  If you must, buy Angelika on its own and forget the rest.  :smileyhappy:

vanityprincess

(0) Hearts

My parents bought me a beautiful Vanity with mady drawers to avoid this problem. I also have a special rack for nail and hair items so I don't think I can jjoin this lol.:smileyhappy:

mermadelove

This is a great idea! The thing I have the most of is eye shadow, ?I think that /i will delve into my loose mineral and pigment shadows and glitters that I haven't checked in ages or that I've never even opened.

I'll report back tomorrow!

kalex

I try to do this every so often!  It's one of the reasons I rotate my makeup every season as well.  That way I don't forget about what I have!

I finally got around to using my MAC Venomous Villians collection eyeshadow in "Vainglorious" today! 

I get a big "F" for today though.  I always browse Sephora on Wednesdays since they typically update new products and the Sale section between Tuesday night and Wednesday.  I just bought Fresh's Brown Sugar Gift Set for $45 and Stila's Make Me Blush set for $20.  I've stalking Stila's set since it showed up several days ago and it's finally available.  Thing is, I think I only want it because it's a good deal - not because I actually want it. 

How do you ladies differentiate between actually wanting something or only wanting it because it's a great deal?  I think I'll head out my Sephora and see if I can test it before it arrives on my doorstep.  I really don't think I'm going to be enamored with it and I won't feel bad about returning something I've never used.

runy

@Officegal I have been thinking about starting this thread for days after you mentioned it in the other thread!  Glad you got to it!

I fished out my Tarte Lip Stain in Enchanted to use this week, I haven't used it since summer!  I may use it tomorrow or Friday.  Be back later for more "shopping" updates :smileyhappy:

kalex wrote:

How do you ladies differentiate between actually wanting something or only wanting it because it's a great deal? 

Hey Kalex I had a problem with this for a while, and I realized I started buying things I didn't really want or use.  What I do is check my stash before I purchase and see if I have anything similar.  I also do a price comparison to see how much it comes out per product or cost difference.  Then I think if I'll use it, for what, if it's reasonable.  I also ask myself if I will regret buying it or not.  I just passed up on a Bare Essentuals set that was $8 off what it was originally priced.  I really did want it, and the price was good, but the reason I passed is because I have some things from my last purchase from them that I still haven't used!  Also, I felt like the price could have gone down more, and it probably will.  And lastly, I realized I would NOT regret not buying this if it went away for ever- as in - my life will go on.  A lot of thinking I know, but I saved myself $30.

sarithor

[ Edited ]

This is a really good Idea! It makes me want to go play with my make up right now lol. I probably will too. 

as for Kalex's question, what I do to stop myself from buying something I think is a good deal, is I check the product size, cause they always get me that way. I think its going to be bigger than it is, and I get it and I'm bummed. Then I try to find the items by themselves to see if they are full-sized and if they aren't how much small is it than the full sized item. Then I do a little math to figure out  if its really a deal. For Example, Fresh came out with a tiny set for 22.50 for 2 lip treatments, their regular sugar lip treatment and the plum one. It said it was worth 45 dollars, but you're getting it for 22.50... but I looked at the sizes of the lip treatments and they were half the size of the regular full size one... so really it wasn't a deal at all. Cause you're getting 2 half sizes... so that equals one full size... so it SHOULD be 22.50 cause thats how much the full size one is. A lot of people complained in the reviews... but I always check before I buy, so I didn't get it lol.

ellis47

(0) Hearts

Oh, that was a great answer! To look and see how much products cost in terms of size.

Smart lady!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 358 replies
  • 319 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • kalex
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • sarithor