officegal

CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

[ Edited ]

I realize a lot of us are in the same boat, being addicted to makeup and beauty products and desperately trying to control stashes that are bursting from train cases, drawers and cabinets.  We have the Traveling Sephora Box ("TSB") to swap products with one another and temper some of the addiction cravings to go out and get new stuff.  I have another idea to assist with resisting the temptation to continually buy new things.

I propose that for an entire week, we shop our own stash and dig up things that we haven't touched for a long time.  Whatever you've accrued the most of, each day put on something different, whether it's eye shadow or blush or lipstick.  Then report back here and post what you wore each day!

I'm going to wear a different eye shadow, lippie, and blush each day.  I have so many of all three categories but always find myself reaching for the same colours. It's time to branch out!

For example, tomorrow I'm going to wear:

- Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in "Pale Pink" for blush

- Dior Lip Glow

- Stila Eye Shadow in "Chill"

I haven't touched all three of those in weeks and months.

mermadelove

Re: CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

(0) Hearts

lashreece wrote:

I'm shopping my stash of samples from Sephora.  I'm a sample wh0re.    I find myself breaking up my Sephora orders to just above the free shipment limit so that I can get more samples.  

Any body else crazy for the samples?

I have totally thought of doing that myself!!! The thing that stops me? It's bad enough to get one or two Srephora boxes in the mail every few weeks. If I broke up my larger orders, I 'd be getting FOUR!!! My husband and the UPS guy would both freak out at me!!! :smileyvery-happy:

officegal

(0) Hearts

I've been so busy this week that I just ended up using whatever was on my vanity from last week and didn't discover anything "new" from my stash except for a nail polish.  Anyone remember the CK Calvin Klein makeup line that was at Sephora a couple of years ago?  My nail polish is "Barefoot" and it's the perfect nude polish.  So glad to have rediscovered it!!

daisy346

(0) Hearts

Is that what the makeup is for? I couldn't remember. I know he told me but I guess I wasn't really paying attention, lol. I know it's brown and he smears it all over his face. He loves to show me all his deer calls and antlers he rattles so it sounds like two deer fighting and what not...he has quite the little bag of tricks. Imagine how bored he'd be if I opened my makeup case and showed him all my things and what their purpose is. The first time he saw me put primer on he was fascinated. He said he didn't know makeup was like painting where you have to put a primer on for the first coat.

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

It's probably a good thing our husbands don't know how much goes into makeup-- even a 'natural' look and end up with epic amounts of product!

Occasionally I set out everything I'm going to need for a look the night before and the last time I did this, the counter looked like a yard sale!

Cleanser

Primer

Toner

Moisturizer

Serum

Foundation

Concealer

Eye Primer

Shadows

Blush

Lip color

Finishing Powder

Mascara

Eyeliner

Setting Spray!!!!!!

So much "work" to look natural!!

And on the days I wear falsies it's worse!

daisy346

It's hard work looking beautiful....lol

mermadelove

ROTFLMAO!!!! daisy you crack me up! I think those are called golashes or gaiters-- the things he wears over the shoes!

tenngal

So today I wore what I had dug out yesterday and said I was going to wear which was:

- Smashbox Photo Finish Lipstick in the shade Pout

- Smashbox Photo Finish Targeted Pore & Line Primer (deluxe sample)

- Urban Decay Ammo Shadow Palette (used the shades Oil Slick, Shattered, Polyester Bride and Maui Wowie)

Don't laugh, but I tried to take photos for the first time by just turning the camera backwards and taking my own picture.  Needless to say, they didn't turn out too good--as a matter of fact they look pretty bad--haha.  Anyway, I am going to post a couple of the pics in this post (if I can figure out how) and the rest are on my profile page.  The rest look pretty much the same as the ones below.  At least it'll be some good comedy for the day.

makeup_worn_030111.jpg

DSCN0161.JPG

DSCN0159.JPG

DSCN0170.JPG

Maybe my next attempt will work out better!  I tried to take a full face photo, but my nose kept looking huge where I had it stuck too close to the camera when I turned the camera around to take the pic--haha!

I'm getting ready to dig around and see what I can pull from my stash to wear tomorrow.  :smileyhappy:

tenngal

I can't believe that I hadn't read this post until today--don't know how I missed it!!!

@officegal:  The shopping your own stash idea is fantastic!!!  I'm going to go through my stuff today and pull out some old makeup and use it.

@sarithor:  I love your pics!!!  I hadn't uploaded any pictures, but you've inspired me so I uploaded my first two pics today of my half-moon manicure.  When I get a better camera and get braver (LOL) I'll start uploading more pics.

:smileyhappy:

kriskiss

I love this idea, just like I need to go shopping in my closet, hopefully I will get a as big as high as if I was buying it new lol

kalex

@kriskiss - It actually is pretty exciting when you find something that you forgot about!  Happy hunting!  :smileyhappy:

officegal

(0) Hearts

I don't know if this counts as shopping my own stash (I think it does but others may disagree):  when you find something that you bought a long time ago but never opened/used.  I tossed out a few old mascaras today (so painful throwing out unfinished MUFE or Dior... but they were stale) and opened up a new Clarins mascara that I've had for a while. 

(Mini review:  It's an okay every day mascara, but nothing spectacular.  Super long and thin brush but too wimpy to add volume or even the length that it claims to provide.)

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

That IS a wimpy brush!

officegal

It appealed to me at first because I have small Asian eyes with equally wimpy lashes, but in this case, the pairing of wimpy and wimpy hasn't worked out!

katie1724

@officegal: It *definitely* counts :smileywink:

mermadelove

katie1724 wrote:

You're just saying that because of all the secret stashes you found! LOL!

:smileyvery-happy:

officegal

(0) Hearts

mermadelove wrote:

katie1724 wrote:

You're just saying that because of all the secret stashes you found! LOL!

LOL!!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@mermadelove, @officegal: Hahahh! Well, my thought was that even if it's not open, it has still found a home in your "stash" so therefore, it is kind of shopping your own, right? Heh, heh...and yes, I am just rationalizing because I was horrified at the mini-stashes...everywhere. (DON'T MAKE ME COUNT MY SKINCARE PRODUCTS!)

kalex

(0) Hearts

@Katie - DON'T MAKE ME COUNT MY SKINCARE PRODUCTS!

No!  Let's definitely not do that!  Let's stop talking about it actually - I'm getting twitchy.

I found my Stila Makeup Player the other day and I don't want to talk about that either.

sarithor

(0) Hearts

I have given up on the search for the Holy Grail Mascara a long time ago lol. I just hope my future children take after my hubby's side of the family and gets their crazy eye lashes. His sisters eye lashes are amazing. Everyone asks her all the time if she has fake lashes on, and all she has on is regular mascara, its insane haha, she doesn't even curl them. My hubby too. He has long lashes... and little eyes, so if he's been drinking or is tired it looks like his eyes are closed when they are actually opened.

I've used Buxom lash and felt like my lashes seemed healthier after a couple weeks of using it. They didn't seem as sparse as normal. Thats probably the closest I've come to a Holy Grail Mascara lol.

mermadelove

[ Edited ]

@ sarithor: have you tried the Fairy Drops mascara? It's gotten ridiculously good reviews! I love Buxom, too.

Now, back on topic. Someone somewhere recently asked about the Black Palette, so I dug it out of my stash and combined challenges this is Falsies/SYOS:

The blush is from a Too Faced Bombshell Collection from back in the Day.

Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy really makes the Black Palette Pop!!

Oh, and the falsies are Ardel Demi 124

syos2.JPGstash.JPG

sarithor

@mermadelove, I haven't tried fairy drops yet, I'm sure I will one day haha. I tried Fiberwig and I did not like that mascara at all... it made my lashes longer, I'll give them that, but I have fine hair, so my eye lashes are super skinny and fiber wig did nothing for volume. Without volume, I think length doesn't matter cause you still can't see them lol. Plus fiberwig, was dried out within a month.. and I was screwing the cap on so hard and not doing the pump motion... I don't know what happened, but I just didn't like that mascara. Not to mention it was a pain to get off. I haven't paid for a mascara since January 2010, seriously. I've been living off of free deluxe samples and then I won a free full size mascara by Laura Mercier.. I've been really lucky when its come to mascara lately.

I really LOVE your look today. Super Duper Pretty!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 358 replies
  • 319 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • kalex
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • sarithor
    • officegal