AmyC

Brand sitewide sales vs Sephora point promos.

I don't know if it's just me but over the years of makeup trial and error I have finally discovered the brands that work well for my skin and don't break me out. This being said, I am now trying to be much more savy and responsible with my money and wait for big sales (like the Tarte 30% off friends and family) vs the Sephora point perks. On the other hand, it saddens me I will miss out on the point perks as I would have NEVER tried Kate Somerville without the 500 point perk being available and two of her products have CHANGED my skin! The flip side is other 500 point perks have broken out my face and I felt were a complete waste. I just feel like with the high end brands I enjoy and crave, I must be smart with my money.

ballerinagrl

Re: Brand sitewide sales vs Sephora point promos.

I'm kind of addicted to GWP. I do buy products I don't immediately need to qualify. Consequently department stores see my face far more often than I'd like ...

newandaddicted

I'm not a point user, I'd MUCH rather SAVE money than hope against hope the perks points items are going to be something I want to try.  Sephora gives free samples so I don't use my perks just to try a product (unless it's a lippie or mascara).  I only buy things from Sephora when there's a sale (rare) or when I can only get the item at Sephora.  Too many other makeup sellers offer sales for me to remain loyal to this company.

We have said over and over we would like to use our points for discount on items.  Sephora won't let us be great!  LOL

itscarin

(0) Hearts

I love FFS. Stila had one for 40% off a few months ago and I was able to pick up the foil shadows at a much more palatable price than their msrp.  I agree that I'd rather save 30-40% off than be given some stupid sample I may or may not like.  

Annalily11

Sephora's points are kind of a consolation prize for when I can't find any better deals.I prefer sales and GWP far more, but I'll take the points over getting nothing. My problem is that the point rewards never really interest me enough to spend, and when they are something I'd spring for(like the lipstick that was out not too long ago), the perk is often gone before I have a chance to get it. I do tend to like the 500 point ones more, so I'll just save up for one of those.

Heatoyos1

[ Edited ]

It's good to be savvy and shop smart. I like to search GWP Addict or look for promo codes before I place an order. 

Personally, I prefer GWPs (especially GWPs that are makeup bags with multiple products) over earning points. However, I am not brand loyal and often only like one product from a certain brand. That means I often don't qualify for the minimum purchase amount for a GWP if I were to buy directly from a brand's website. And I try not to spend extra on something I do not need just to qualify for a GWP.

With Sephora, I can buy products from multiple brands and qualify for promo codes or point perks--plus it is faster and more efficient for me. I don't want to create accounts or enter billing/shipping information on multiple brand websites. 

Plus, if you have to return an item that you have never tried before and that does not work for you, it is easier at Sephora. I would rather return in-store than ship back. For example, if I ordered directly from Tarte, I do not know where the nearest locations are for returns. So I normally only order items directly from brand websites if I've used the product before and know it works for me. 

Some ladies have had good luck with department stores, either with getting good GWPs or deluxe samples (in person). When shopping in-store at department stores, I can usually definitely tell that the sales associates work on commission. I do not like that pressure when buying a product, or if I had to return a product. 

I also appreciate that Sephora has 20% or 15% discounts twice per year. I do not really stockpile during these times, like some people do, because I often find new products that I like better than my formerly holy grail products. Plus, I like reordering and getting promos (like the VIB bag this month) throughout the year, even if it means I have to pay for shipping multiple times.

So, I agree with notcreative and spoiledbrat: It does not have to be all or nothing. You just have to be cognizant that other companies can have better deals/promos to keep an eye out for (not just default shopping at Sephora), and figure out your priorities. My priorities are GWP promos: extra gifts make me happy!

Zpsid91

(0) Hearts

I pretty do what notcreative does - I look at the same product across a few different sites to try to find the best deal 1.) $$-wise, 2.) GWP and 3.) cash back...then whoever has the best that's where I buy from. Sometimes it's Sephora, sometimes it's another retailer and sometimes it's the actual company

notcreative

Everyone is different, but the order for my priorities is: 1. Amazing sale (50% or more), 2. Awesome GWP, 3. discount (10%-40%), 4. decent GWP, 5. Cash back via ebates or certain sites like Beauty (online) and lastly 6. points.

It is in the order of instant gratification for me.  Cash back comes later, but it is cold hard cash.  Any points I collect during a multiplier are not processed until after I place the order (meaning I would have to place another order to use any of them).  Although, I am impressed that the multiplier is processing right after I hit order and refresh the screen.  If Sephora did not have a history of freezing accounts for small purchases, I would use the points as soon as I earned them every time.  I do not really save them.

notcreative

[ Edited ]

And, when I can combine any of the numbers from 1-6, that makes me very happy.  I placed an order at SpaceNK recently that fulfilled 1, 2 and hopefully 6.  They have a rewards program, so I emailed to see if I can take advantage of 6.  We shall see.

ballerinagrl

(0) Hearts

I use Space NK a lot. Twice a year they give incredible goodie bags, which are to die for.

Zpsid91

(0) Hearts

Soooo when are these goodie bags normally given out? I need to plan out my shopping year :smileywink: If they're anything like the last one I got they are AWESOME!!

Heatoyos1

I was so tempted to get that SpaceNK GWP, but I don't really see anything on their website that I want. Plus, I already placed a Sephora and Belk order for nice GWPs, and I need to save up for an upcoming trip to Hawaii.

I looked at how much I spent at Sephora since January, and I am a lot closer to Rouge than I thought I would be. I thought that I would barely make it to VIB by December. I think my spending has definitely increased since learning about promo codes and point perks from BT. :smileywink:

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Yay.  You got that Clinique lipstick then.  Please swatch it when it comes in.  It looks very pretty.

Heatoyos1

I ordered the pink set, so I will be getting Glazed Berry. 

Thank god it is not Raspberry Glace again, like in so many Clinique GWPs I've gotten! 

My mom gifted me with an Estee Lauder lipstick in candy shimmer from a GWP. It is one of the only GWP lipsticks that has actually worked on me. It reminds me of when I used to layer Clinique Bamboo Pink (a bit shimmery) with fuchsia lipstick to make the Bamboo Pink a little darker, without being too bright pink. 

notcreative

I just tried Candy recently, and I love it.  Glad you got something different.

Zpsid91

(0) Hearts

I didn't see Space NK on ebates - darn!

notcreative

(0) Hearts

It wasn't.  5 was a typo.  I already changed it to 6.  I even looked through my bank, and it was not on there either.  Did you send an email to see if you could get rewards for the order?

Zpsid91

Ahhh - ok, was goning to be sad if I missed out on ebates again! I keep forgetting, but I just installed the browser button for ebates so I don't forget anymore.

I signed up for the rewards before I ordered and it looks like I have them in my account - I don't know how often I will use them though

spoiledbrat

AmyC - Perhaps this could be a win-win instead of an all or nothing.

The 500 point perks of late pale in comparison, for the most part, to the ones offered in previous years. Samples of most products can be made in store without using point perks. That practice may help you make new discoveries while waiting for sales and accumulating your points.  Maybe some of the pre-made samples and 100 point perks can also assist you in remaining responsible and careful.

Have you considered finding a fellow makeup and skin care junkie that would be willing to trade with you?  The two, or more, of you can experiment and share while having some fun in the process. :smileyhappy:

AmyC

(0) Hearts

i tried trading here once and had a horrible experience but so agree with you about the samples! So true!!!

notcreative

[ Edited ]

Sorry about your experience.  I've had great trades, so I have a suggestion to help out there.  Watch the trade boards to see who has good trade experience.  The post comes from someone else, so there is a good chance it is an honest post.  Once someone has proven herself/himself to be a great trader, she/he will likely continue the pattern.  

If someone is new to trading or the board, ask him/her to ship to you first.  Once you receive it, you can inspect and send his/her item out.  If a new trader is unwilling to do that, I would never enter a trade with said person.   One of the lovely ladies I traded with was new, so she offered to ship first.  The fact that she offered and I already like her proved she was trustworthy, so I declined the offer.  A second offered to ship first despite having successful trades, and I declined her as well.  The point is an honest person new to trading should have no problem shipping first.  The only thing holding an honest person back from shipping first is if said person does not trust you.  If that is the case, I would not trade with that person either.

You can also increase BT time and develop friendships.  Limit your trades to friends.  People are far less likely to burn someone they like versus someone they do not know at all.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • itscarin
    • spoiledbrat
    • notcreative
    • Zpsid91
    • Heatoyos1