Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

I definitely swatch on the back of my hand! Especially for lip products. Eye shadows and liners I will do, again on my hand, but I never test mascara. Thankfully Sephora always has those bottles with alcohol.

@cianni @ShortErica Yeah, I don’t mind testing most things on my hand. I can alcohol-scrub and wash the hell outta my hands to purge cooties. (Visit the skincare section of Sephora to find a tester of cleanser and a sink.) I’ll even do concealer swatches on my chest sometimes, because I can wash the yuck away in-store. But I’m not willing to wash my face in-store 😂 so I test almost nothing on my face. Not even pressed powder products I can sanitize with an alcohol spray. This might make me a germaphobe in some people’s opinion, but it also keeps me free of pink eye and norovirus and the like, so yay me! 

@WinglessOne LOL I would consider that “diligent health conscious behaviour” and not “germaphobe” 😂 there are so many unavoidable ways we can come into contact with unknown germs (public transit, office door handles etc), why would we willingly expose ourself to additional germ sources 🙄 I’ve seen how some of those product testers are manhandled, who knows what’s all up in there. Especially the Fenty section of my local store.. yikes. It’s definitely seen some things.

@ShortErica It should be common sense but I’ve seen this happen several times. I can’t remember which store I went to but they had cut the ends off the lip gloss and mascara wands on the testers. 

@faeriegirl, I've seen that at MAC counter one day I was...

@faeriegirl, I've seen that at MAC counter one day I was very impressed. I wish every place would do that 🙂

That is a great move on Sephora's part @faeriegirl. More stores should implement that policy.

@ShortErica I’m the annoying old lady who tells the whippersnappers why they shouldn’t apply mascara testers to their lashes. 😂 (Cannot count the number of times I’ve seen people do that in Sephora and Ulta. Whole lotta eye cooties running around town.) Some folks just don’t think about contaminated testers, especially people who are used to sharing makeup with friends or siblings. 

Next time, maybe just nicely tell a nearby Sephora worker “I’d like to try this [product someone germed up] but I just saw someone contaminate it... can you make a new tester, please?” 

@WinglessOne I don't think you would be annoying at all just truthful! I guess I'm just amazed at how unsensical a person could be. And that would be a safer way to try products..though I'm betting another person would contaminate the new tester and ruin that one for others. Oh people!

@ShortErica@WinglessOne That's a horrible story!  Ick!  That makes me wonder if I should ever use testers at all.  I hate buying makeup without swatching or trying it.  I have to at least see how it looks in store.  I've never tested a mascara at the store, nor will I ever after that wisdom.  I guess it's balancing how freaked out about germs you are with how badly you want to try the makeup.  I'm not sure what the answer is to that, but appreciate the perspective.

I guess we can always return products @sprocketta but being able to trust testers can help eliminate that potential waste. Sometimes I just want to run the world and fix it. Haha.

RE: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

When I can’t order something online because I know the person handling my packages doesn’t care if the package gets thrown around, and my nearest Sephora (which is iJCP) doesn’t have what I want.

call and ask the sephora if they can order the product fo...

call and ask the sephora if they can order the product for you but hold it at the store for you to pick up? If not maybe a p.o. box?

RE: call and ask the sephora if they can order the product fo...

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

I was browsing around for an AHA and vitamin c serum and started looking at the new tatcha serum... I swear the Tatcha Violet-C Brightening Serum 20% Vitamin C + 10% AHA 1 oz/ 30 mLjust came out like 2 weeks ago and there’s like 400 reviews on Sephora already saying how fantastic it is.... but like 99% of them are from those that got it for free.... 😒 

guess I’ll have to buy it to try myself 🙈

Wow, it’s new so there shouldn’t be ANY reviews out for at least a month.  @mmmiu 

Totally agree @mmmiu. I did end up buying it but with no help from the reviews. I just couldn’t wade through the hundreds and hundreds of five stars from people who got it free. There’s no reason Sephora can’t include this as a filter. It’s really, really annoying. 

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Yeah I was ticked off about this too. I messaged Tatcha on Instagram about it and they said they gave out sneak previews before it was launched. They also said other distributors and stuff can do specials as well before official launch that they can’t control either. I bought it first day it was out and just due to my dog passing away and things I haven’t been able to try it yet. One day I will though!

Re: RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Awwwww, hugs!  🥺 @SnugglePuggle94 

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

I’m sorry about you losing your friend 😞

@mmmiu so annoying! It takes longer than 2 weeks to see results anyways 😂😂 

@mmmiu there is a gwp right now for this! but agree it's super annoying about the reviews. Sephora REALLY needs to have a verified purchase note and sort feature 

12,471 Replies
testing