Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@Loretta55 gotcha!  I like returning via mail, so I've been bummed that I can't return sephora via USPS anymore.  To each her own!

Made my first Neiman Marcus purchase.   No GWP for about $100 spent.  No free samples.  I'm dreading opening my Nordstrom packages.  There weren't any GWP and idk if there will be any free samples.  You used to be able to choose...that's gone.   Now Idk if they give u any at all.

The key to buying stuff from Nordstrom and getting free samples is to befriend a beauty counter rep. I know people who moved to the opposite side of the country who still make their Nordstrom purchases over the phone with their trusted Nordstrom rep from their old Nordstrom store. The Nordstrom employee gets the benefit of earning commission on the sales while at the same time boosting their store’s sales metrics! 
The customer benefits by getting a chance to ask product recommendations, get the 411 on upcoming sales/promotions/new releases, and most importantly request specific samples of items. 

The counter rep will then mail the customer’s order to them.

Everyone wins besides the website lol! 

@greeneyedgirl107  It's been so long since I bought anything from NM, I don't recall if I ever received samples from them. Nordstrom though... I think they stopped adding free samples to orders a few years back. They do still have GWP, but sometimes there aren't many offers on their persistent Beauty GWP page. I see lots of fragrance and skincare GWP right now, though most require a brand-specific purchase. I miss the days when Nordy had good GWP for any beauty purchase with not-so-crazy buy-in amounts. 

@WinglessOne I totally agree with your last statement!  There was a time when I thought I'd switch a good portion of my beauty shopping to Nordstrom due to the better returns policy coupled with their nice GWP and free samples.  I know there are a lot of things going on globally, but it seems like when beauty shopping is at its apex, the perks are less and less.

Oh that's a shame @greeneyedgirl107 , I get that budgets are cut, but what about incentives and people that spend based on incentives?  And with that dollar amount, there should be something, IMO.

@danielledanielle my thoughts exactly!

The sale is always a mad rush to order what you want before it’s oos, but I ALWAYS have half of what I want already oos. It never fails..2 -3 days after the sale ends, the item’s back in stock. Wish we could buy out of stock items at sale price and have them delivered once in stock again! 

I think you can do that most of the time,  if you place the order when it's still on sale. 

Or they can mail it to you, for free. 

@4Loveofskin - This was standard in the olden days.  It was called a "rain check."

Ahhh, yes! The good ole raincheck 💗

Testers that look different than the actual product! I have gotten suckered by this a few times in the past. I remember the very first was a Chanel powder. It was a blue tinted setting powder and it was in the absolute most darling little Chanel shaker. I bought it, and ended up at home with a gigantic square pot that was 100x the amount of product I could ever use. Pretty sure I still have that! I was so shocked as it never occurred to me the tester would look different. 

Another time I was in Russia and I bought a Givenchy lipstick that was in the most stunning, sparkly case that we did not have in the US. It wasn’t even a color I was very attracted to, but I wanted that case. When I opened it, it was in a regular case. I took it back to exchange it at least for a color I liked and they would not take it back. I’m still annoyed about that one. 

I was thinking of this again because of the new Armani blushes. I really wanted one when I saw the packaging on an influencer post, but then realized the colored lid is not present on the actual product, they are all black. They do look like lovely blushes but I really liked the colored lid matching the shades! Anyone else feel this way, lol?

This will probably seem petty but why does Sephora ask us to choose two samples if A) they aren’t going to send any or B) if they do send samples, they aren’t the ones requested?  I am disabled so shopping in store is difficult for me. The samples help me decide if I want to purchase the full size product. I usually only ever request perfume samples since scent is so personal and tough to judge through reviews. End of rant. 😊

I'm still peeved that they decreased the samples from 3 to 2.  Also, the variety of the samples aren't great these days.  It's mainly foundation, and rarely any scents.  What's the big deal with giving us one more little sample. 

@Dramamama1   On my last two orders I got the actual samples I requested. Before that it was months of the wrong samples, or more often no samples at all. So I hope matters are improving. 🤞

It’s crazy I hadn’t notice that Sephora did that till I read this, checked my last couple orders and sure enough I didn’t get the samples I requested. I usually don’t get skincare products and makeup because of how difficult my skin can get from one use. I usually grab haircare and fragrances 

I agree, although lately it’s been hit or miss. I have been getting actual requested samples somehow, usually I don’t, but lately I have gotten my requests, except one package during the sale gave me two of the same perfume samples that I did not request. 

It's not petty at all. I  think  alot of us place an order depending on the gwp or samples given. Sometimes, there isn't even ANY samples in the order 😞 @Dramamama1 

It is annoying! For a while, I was traveling from Colorado home to Maryland pretty frequently to help my mom, and so, occasionally, I would have orders close together but one shipped to MD and one to CO. It seemed the samples were always the ones I selected when the order shipped to Maryland (from that nearest warehouse) but almost never what I chose when shipping to CO (I think from Utah warehouse). Anyway, it is frustrating and i just thought I’d share, though it’s not helpful to fix it! @Dramamama1 

That’s sad @Dramamama1 . I have been on that boat as well. Getting the samples you choose is important for the reasons you highlight and, if for some reason they are not available anymore, they should, at least, include similar samples (if you chose perfumes, then other perfumes, if you chose hair products, then other hair stuff...) I have received samples I didn’t request and I was not interested in at all, and went to waste. Samples should be used to entice purchases, and not giving what you are interested to try is not a good starting point...

This isn't petty at all @Dramamama1 !

Ironically, when it was three samples, I rarely got what I requested.  I've had decent luck with the two, but what you said is still valid

12,471 Replies
testing