Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

My newest first world problem is digging too hard into my Pat McGrath eyeshadows because I forget you only need a teensy bit to get tons of pigmentation. I feel so wasteful wiping it off the brush, but I don't need bronze up to both eyebrows!

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

I think my worst is that I cant stand bad skincare advice being given to the masses, or when people recommend products that are so not worth it or harmful. Granted everyones skin is different but there are key things to note like how certain ingredients dont work well together or shouldnt be used together, or when people are being to rough on their skin, or not to be too specific but when beauty gurus or celebrities swear by certain moisturizers which literally have the lamest ingredients that dont do anything (la mer). I also hate when I order a medium neutral shade online and it turns out to be either way too light or way too dark. I also hate when my foundation ends up creasing or my mascara smudges under my eyes which almost always happens.  The worst however is when a product works for literally majority of people and has the worst effect or no effect on me, its pretty defeating lol.

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Yes! Especially when people give bad DIY tips like I had someone tell me rubbing lemon juice on your face is good like NO! or the tooth paste on acne thing it’s like just buy a spot treatment you can legit chemical burn your skin so badly from putting toothpaste on it! Or a girl I worked with would talk about how people who use a different moisturizer for their face & body are stupid like nope not walking around with body butter on my face! I just get so bothered by bad skin care advice lol.

If people ask for skincare advice on a forum they’re going to get recommended products that have worked for the respondents who had the same issues.  It’s not bad advice if it doesn’t work out.  It just wasn’t helpful for you specifically.  Skincare is a very individualized thing and it’s up to everyone to figure out their own routine that works.  The general advice is there to give people a starting line.   @ab0s 

What absolutely drives me nuts is when "beauty gurus" give "reviews" on skin care, and it seems like they're doing a different product every other day (or in one case, EVERY day.) It is absolutely impossible to review skin care like that, particularly when you're fake reviewing masks with actives in them. You can't judge anything in a day, and if you have a reaction, how can you tell WHICH product caused it?

The greed is incredible when it comes to these fraudulent reviews. One fake reviewer in particular NEVER replies when you ask her how long she used any of these products. I wish there was a way to take down a channel like that. It's pure BS.

That’s a frustrating one for sure.  Like, show me a couple empty tubes or tubs and THEN I’ll take you seriously.   First impressions are one thing, but to tell someone to go out and buy skincare cause you liked it the two times you used it is just wrong.  @Harobedb 

@ab0s To foster more discussion, instead of bashing on people who give misinformation, just let them know and provide the correct info or what you think is correct or better? Heck I gladly welcome critiques since I know I'm prone to making mistakes. But I get what you mean about the cringe-worthy skincare advice like putting lemon and baking soda on your face, "parabens are bad" (only if you're allergic/sensitive to them) from sensationalized news, or "all natural ingredients are good for you and all chemicals are bad for you".  

In skincare, there's also a luxury aspect to it, so there will be people who are willing to pay more for a product because of branding, packaging, formulation, etc. Take Creme de la Mer, which mostly consists of mineral oil and petroleum jelly. It's more of an occlusive since the texture's so thick (fragrance is quite strong too), but it still does work for some people. I agree that it's over-priced since mineral oil and petroleum jelly are cheap ingredients. It's more of a luxury item.  

Lol I get you about the holy grail items. Farmacy's cleansing balm is popular but it gave me chemical burns because of the citrus oils. Many people on r/skincareaddiction praise the CeraVe moisturizer, but it broke me out. Same with Drunk Elephant's LaLa Retro Cream. At least experimenting with different products helped determine the ingredients I'm allergic or sensitive to.

@RNGesusPls  hahaha I actually love all those products except the lala retro cream. Sorry about that dude.

Oh man I feel you on the bad skincare advice! Particularly the stuff that's managed to become 'general knowledge' and gets repeated by everybody including magazine articles *ugh* Sunscreen has to be the worst offender, so much misinformation! 

And as for the products that work for everybody else, I recently realised that I have a nasty sensitivity to niacinamide so that's absolutely out for me. Of course everybody loves it and it's good for everything and it gets recommended all the time for acne...... It's kinda like being the one kid stuck outside the candy store, staring through the glass isn't it? 

@LadyKabe This is definitely my life #rosacea

@LadyKabe lmao yes you described it perfectly

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

When my purse starts to get heavy and I check my outside pocket and realize what is adding to weight 🙂 Reminder to SELF, when I put one lip product in, TAKE ONE OUT.

Super guilty of this also! 🤣

Super guilty of this also! 🤣

@Luvstravel I have to remind myself of this every day! My purse weight all comes from touchup products! 

Best,

Rebecca 

Lol @Luvstravel That's not even that bad.  I usually carry about 20 in my purse.

@sprocketta , That's funny. Your purse should weigh a ton! I need a rust and a pink color always  then a gloss for sure 🙂

@Luvstravel It's definitely not a light purse.  But 20 lippies in a small makeup bag don't take up a ton of room, well, maybe not in my bag but I like larger bags, so that's context...

@Luvstravel  - lol - me too!

I have this age spot/sun spot for about 5 yrs.  I spent so much money on expensive skincare to get rid of it or at least fade it.  Nothing works.  I just order the daily wow Peter Thomas Roth Max Complexion Correction Pads just because somebody wrote on the review that it helps her with the age/sun spot.  In back of my mind, i think it wont work but i ordered it anyway.  It's the sign of desperation.  Sigh!!! Here for the hope that it will work for me.

@blackkitty2014  have you thought of trying an IPL treatment at a medi-spa for your sun spots?  I had a few on my face (and we won't talk about my shoulders).  The ones on my face I had taken off with a laser about three years ago, it probably cost me about 150$ CAD and they're still gone.  I am religious about sunscreen now, not so much in my teens.  I feel like no one really talked about sun damage in the 80/90's?  Anyhow it worked way better than any of the hundreds of dollars I'd spent on creams.  It really didn't hurt much (less than waxing for sure) and I only had a bit of a scabbing/flaking on the spots for maybe 2-3 days.  I am fingers crossed the PTR pads work out though!

@missjeanie , thx for letting me know.  I am thinking about IPL treatment but havent had time to look into it.  I need to do it.  I think it is a sunspot.  I got it right after our Oregon road trip.  That summer was brutal.  It was 110-120F the entire trip.  How many IPL treatments do you need to do for yours to be gone and do they leave a temporary scar after if you dont mind i'm asking

12,471 Replies
testing