Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

This is a silly pet peeve but I'm kind of annoyed at myself that I didn't take advantage of Ebates's birthday week, especially with Ulta and Macy's. There's things in both stores that I know I'm going to buy at some point that I could've really saved up on. I had a ton of multipliers for Ulta too. I shouldn't be mad that I saved money but somehow I'm annoyed that I did, probably because I know I'm gonna spend it eventually and won't get such a great deal.

I'm sorry guys these are not beauty pet peeves per say but I'm so hopping mad that I need to vent.  Sigh - it's times like this that make me realize how great Sephora is to shop with - nice samples, free delivery that come like clock work... Amazing customer service - WHY CAN'T MORE COMPANIES BE MORE LIKE SEPHORA??

OK - PET PEEVE #1: I order beautiful flowers for my mother in law for mother's day and they better be nice because we can't make it there.  These are the flowers I bought from "Flowers by Sears" and I paid extra for the "premium" option which is supposed to come with extra flowers.  The bouquet costs $104CAD + $28CAD delivery + $10 for a teddy bear... Here are the beautiful flowers I paid for:

Dressed to Impress Bouquet.jpg

This is what my mother-in-law actually received:

Actual bouquet received.png

AND NOW FOR FEDEX/my Yummie by Heather order.... ONE OF MY #1 PET PEEVES IS WHEN COURRIER SERVICES PRETEND THEY TRIED TO DROP A PACKAGE WHEN THEY OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T!!! Oh - not to mention Fedex tells me I now have to pay $39 dollars in taxes and duties on a $56USD order that I also paid a $30USD delivery fee for - has anyone else ever heard of US - CAD deliveries costing so much? I've NEVER had this happen...  Here is what happened... Ridiculous!

Spoiler
I ordered some stuff on sale from the Yummie by Heather website I had wanted to try their stuff but since it's my first time and I don't know how it will fit i waited for a sale.  The package was supposed to be delivered today (Monday) i took a day off work to be here to receive the package.  I checked a few hours ago and even though they had my phone number and my buzzer code they insisted they didn't have my buzzer code and that the driver therefore could not delivery the package.  Even though there is a huge sign downstairs that says that delivery people can dial press 00 to be let in by the superintendent.  If I hadn't checked the tracking I wouldn't have known at all... There's a huge bulletin board that delivery people can pin doorcards up on when they attempt delivery and there were other cards but none from Fedex - i.e. - I'm not convinced he actually attempted to deliver.  They also never tried calling my phone number.  I call and I ask if I can just pick it up from a Fedex location but even though I live in downtown Toronto I would have to apparently travel 45 minutes to get to the "nearest" fedex location.  They say they will try again tomorrow but I have to go to work, SO, I ask them to come for Wednesday and of course all they can say is that it may happen some time between 9am and 7pm.  I give them my buzzer code, I tell them to take note of the super's buzzer code I mention there was no delivery card on the board etc. and they tell me about the taxes and levies that will cost over 50% of my order value and it's the first I hear about that.  15 minutes later they call me back to say they'll try again Wednesday then 15 minutes later i get another call from Fedex from a woman saying the driver told her they don't have my buzzer number - I tell her I just spoke to someone to give my buzzer number but she apparently can't find it.  I give it again and who knows what will happen now - the driver will probably pretend to deliver again and in the end I'll have wasted 2 days off work and I'll still have to take more time off to go to the bloody depot... I'll tell you one thing for free - I hate delivery services.  Btw people are CONSTANTLY coming in and out of my building and the sign for delivery people is a prominent one.  I think that the people see an order with no buzzer code and they just don't even bother to try to deliver it.     

UGH - so - ladies, I would say - don't order flowers for your loved ones from Flowers by Sears/Teleflora - and as for Yummie by Heather, I've contacted them about this so I guess I'll see what they say though I can't say I have high hopes.

@gingerleigh, @heartsmyface, @wheeeee, @lylysa

Hi guys, I’m so sorry I just saw these responses. Thank you for the sympathy : ) So, I just wanted to quickly explain why I did not call Teleflora/Flowers by Sears and ask for a refund. There is a website called Consumer Affairs, I can’t link out to it but it has 245 HORRIFIC reviews of this company and most of the reviews include pictures and an account of the reviewer’s dealings with the company’s customer service. I’ve read every single one is there is consistency from one review to the next so I know what to expect. I will post a response from the company below as relayed by several reviewers and most cases their orders were even worse than mine – some had come dead and 3 days late and almost all of the pictures showed that the order received was ridiculously inaccurate and cheap. The first thing the company will do is offer a 20-50% discount on the customer’s next order with them.   If the issue is pressed they might increased the discount from 40% to 50% but never more than that. If the issue is FURTHER pressed and the customer is very insistent or either a full-refund or a delivery of what they actually ordered the process requires the local florist who delivered the order to be able to come to the house and REPOSESS the flowers they delivered so that they can sell them to someone else and it has to be done within 48-hours. Based on the experience of the reviewers they tend to not to be cranky about it when they do it. This is an absolute rule – they won’t consider a full refund or re-issuing the order without repossessing the flowers. If it were me I wouldn’t care but my mother in law and father in law are the most timid and conflict-averting people ever – they are older and they would be flat out confused and afraid if this happened. I did mention to my MIL that the flowers ordered were not really up to scratch and she asked me to please not make a fuss.   Although in fairness – she seemed to think the order had cost something like $30 not $120 I guess the principle holds, I wanted to do something nice for her and I’m afraid that my complaining might lead to a situation she would find very stressful so I will hold my peace but I have left negative reviews of the company so that other people could be warned. Here is the company’s statement on full refunds and re-issues as copied by other reviewers:

“I do apologize, but unfortunately a refund or redelivery is no longer possible. Either option requires that 100% of the order be returned to the shop within 48 hours of delivery taking place. If the item is returned within that time frame, we can get it canceled with the current shop to either refund you in full or send to another shop to be replaced. We did ask the shop if they would be willing to exchange the item to the address on file. While we cannot guarantee they will be, they did state they would talk with the manager to see if it's a possibility. IF they do it will be between them and the recipient over the next few days. For further questions or comments please reply to this email or refer to our website. It has been a pleasure to assist you."

IF anyone is interested I randomly downloaded some of the photos posted by the other reviewers from the first batch I had looked at thinking I might write a blog entry about this. I’ll stick them in the spoiler tag…

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 2.14.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-19 at 2.14.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-19 at 2.19.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-19 at 2.19.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-19 at 2.17.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-19 at 2.17.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-19 at 2.16.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-19 at 2.16.22 PM.png

I don't order flowers to be shipped anywhere anymore, have not for years, and stuff like this thread is why. But as wheeeee said, get your money back. 

So, sorry this happened!  I had the worst luck with flowers lately.   First, on VD and now last week on my Anniversary.  My flowers lasted 3 days.  I took them back and got over $100 refund.  I didn't tell my husband.  

The ones from VD, he got a refund, too. Wow! Those roses were DOA!!! 

Just call them and get your money back.  Then give it to your MIL. 

Wow!  Heather's Yummie is still around?  I am a huge Housewives fan and I thought the reason she left the show was because there was some huge lawsuit going on with Yummie.    Maybe it was resolved and the 'new name' is now Yummie by Heather. 

What were you trying to buy?  Just curious bc of all those excess fees........???

@wheeeeeThat's great that you were able to get a re-fund thank goodness! : ) I should hope so though...  If flowers are only going to last 3 days they definitely shouldn't cost over $100!

Hahaha so funny you should mention the new name! I never knew about the lawsuit and I wondered why they had changed it - I heard about the company because I used to write for a little beauty blog years and years ago and I got one of their classic 3-panel tank tops for free and those are GREAT. But back then they were called Yummie Tummie I think.  I had been meaning to try some stuff from them for a while and they had a big sale recently (they stuff is kind of pricey)... So I got a pair of leggings, a pair of capris and two tank tops.  One of the tanks is good but the other isn't really a shaping tank so that's disappointing.  So that was $56 US because of the sale which worked out to $76 CAD.  I had to pay $41CAD on top of that for delivery and when the package came I had to pay $39 and the brokerage form broke it down this way: 13% HST tax, a 20% tax on top of that because the clothes were made in China (not the US) and a further $10 "handling fee" which I guess is just what the carriers charge if they have to break a sweat and charge you extra money lol.  So year it worked out to an extra $39... So I thought I had gotten a good deal but it turned out to be an expensive order for a couple leggings and stretch tanks because it amounted to $156 CAD.  Sigh it's not Yummie's fault though, I think they're a smaller company and don't get a great deal with the carriers.  Next time I'll likely try amazon though - I have prime so free two day delivery on amazon stuff + no fees of any kind.  Here is a picture of the culprit order lol:

Spoiler
Yummie order.jpg

Ouch 😞

I will say that for online floral delivery services I always read up if flowers are advertised as arriving in "bud" form, which is what some of the lilies in your bouquet appear to be in, but my gosh that's a LOT of filler leaves. At least the roses, carnations, and blooms that are present appear to be in good shape and aren't wilted or off in color. *trying to find the silver lining*

P.S. I hope Teleflora knows that's a dog and not a teddy bear 😛

Wow.  There's a big difference between 21 flowers and what is that... 8-9?  Yeah, I bet they weren't expecting you to ever see what she actually received.    I'm interested in hearing what they say in response.  

These online delivery services are really hit or miss. It depends on the local florist who will be fulfilling the order! I have used FTD and Teleflora and luckily have not had a bad experience. Probably thanks to the awesome florists in my area!

My DH ordered flowers for my MIL for Mother's Day since we won't see her until 2 weeks later, and the bouquet he picked was purple and yellow. The flowers were delivered, and the colour scheme was different shades of pink. Didn't bother us because the bouquet was still beautiful, but we definitely lucked out because the quality could have been much worse.

All the flowers are there...two colours of roses, alstromeria, carnations?, green mums...I think they used hydrangea instead of the smaller lookalike (I don't remember what they're called) but other than that, it's still a pretty bouquet!

B1B8C2C2-1873-4B85-AA0E-77A2DE0465B5.jpg

@k617Woah that's SO much better than mine! Which company did you use for this order? That's BEAUTIFUL! 🙂

@RoseCharlie this one is from Teleflora!

Oh wow nice! : ) KK well it is good to know that some of the florists will do a good job... My thinking on this was that maybe the company giving them the order was squeezing a lot of the profit from the order and that was why the local florists from the reviews I had seen were making bouquets that seemed lower value compared to the presentation photos...Is teleflora the same as Flowers by Sears? I know that they probably are both fulfilled by local florists but I kind of assumed they were the same company because I saw a lot of people referring to both of them at the same time as if they were but they might have been wrong...  It does also occur to me that when a person looks at the presentation flowers they assume they are seeing the bouquet face on and that the flowers delivered will have the flowers shown on the photo on both sides but I guess what we are seeing is all the flowers in the arrangement arranged two-dimensionally which kind of sets the scene for disappointed expectations...

I'm not sure if they're the same company...I'd assume all online flower delivery companies function in similar fashion though so it shouldn't matter! There are bad reviews for just about all of them.

Your assessment of people's expectations is spot on. I've seen a few consumer reviews (with actual photos) where the resulting bouquet is almost exact the same as the one shown in the stock photo, colour & flower wise, but because it's not arranged the same way as the stock photo (Which makes it look very full, tall and symmetric, all flowers facing perfectly outward) people get disappointed.

Really, these companies should photograph the bouquets properly to prevent disappointment.

Whoa, that's a lot of filler. I'm so sorry that happened!

Lol, according to the picture, it's the right amount of filler with not enough flowers

@txcatxI knoooow : ( lol, you know, this company was the first to come up on google for flower delivery but after I made the order I found that they had something like 237 complaints on consumer affairs and a lot of people have added pictures of their flower orders and believe it or not - it looks like I was actually one of the lucky ones who at least got something that included a few of the flowers... Some people got the most ridiculous orders and one of the people who asked for a refund said that someone came to his girlfriend's work to "repossess" the flowers after he got a partial refund from the company.  The florist who had fulfilled the order said he needed to sell the flowers to someone else since he hadn't made any money on them... Just crazy... So I feel like this is actually a picture of what you get if you are lucky - based on what I've seen I don't believe they ever actually deliver what people paid for or bought.

I love how long nails look on my, but they are such a hassle. Washing my hair feels like I'm either not doing a good enough job or else I'm scratching my skull off, whenever I try to get a product out of a jar most of it gets under my nails, and even though I clean my nails  often the product then just feels icky and dirty to me. Not to mention constantly worrying one will break at a bad time.

Oh, but they look so pretty... 

Yes! I know this struggle all too well. I also love the look of long nails but their maintenance eventually drives me crazy and I chop them all off. My nails rarely break so that's not a worry for me but similar to you I hate when product gets under my nails. My hair is also an unnatural color. As such, I have to use a color-depositing deep conditioner once a week and it always stains my long nails. 

I had long nails for about six months last year. I felt very glamorous but I also HATED getting lotion and products under my nails. It made me crazy. But I loved tapping my fingers on everything. I miss that sound and feeling now that I just have boring old stubby fingernails again!

So, I have a paraben sensitivity under my right eye such that I can use paraben stuff all over my face and will just get a rash there. Honest Company 3-in-1 wipes don't have parabens listed as ingredients (as far as I can tell), but they give me a rash just under my right eye as if they did 😕  

Honest Company has gotten into trouble before for mislabeling their products as not containing sodium lauryl sulfate even though testing shows that they do. I'm wondering if something similar is happening with the face wipes and parabens.

Who claims they're paraben free and then uses parabens??? Honestly.....

Image result for dr. evil honestly

-_-

I'm sure Jessica Alba isn't sitting in some Dr. Evil plotting to secretly add in ingredients she promises not to, but it's really unfortunate that somewhere within her brand this is taking place and it all ties back to her name.

testing