Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@starsandbucks Ooooh thank you for your first impression.  I feel like foundation and concealer is maybe the most personal of makeup choices because everyone has different priorities when using them and different preference... Some people don't mind blending a bit more and some people hardly want to have to blend - some people want to use more and some people want to use less etc. At the end of the day one person's gold might be another woman's trash.  

I know that for me the holy grail of under-eye concealers has to be pink/peach/salmon coloured, very pigmented, on the thicker side and brightening and it blends perfectly with my skin and does a much better job of covering up my dark circles.  I have found (on my own) that benefit erase paste is the absolute best I've found (which surprised me because their "industrial strength" concealer is absolute rubbish lol).  For going out I layer a little amazing cosmetics concealer over top.  Anyhoo every time I mentioned the desire to colour correct and cover my dark circles I'm always directed either towards that Laura Mercier two-toned concealer compact with one beige and one yellow shade (bought it and used only a little, tossed it when I found products that worked a lot better for me) or to a Nars creamy concealer in a shade that is yellow-y and the yellow looks terrible on my skin and it doesn't do a good job of concealing my dark circles.  I only makes me look like I have jaundice.  

The laura mercier concealer, on me, also does not stay put for more than 30 minutes.  It's a bit of a pet peeve to me that I'm constantly being recommended one of those two options - I've never had any other recommendations for concealer.  

@RoseCharlie I always say the lovely ladies that post on BT give the most realistic recommendations. Stay dry during our East Coast storm.

@Loretta55 That is so true! : ) I love reading the BT ladies product recommendations and impressions! : ) Sephora online also has some products that the stores don't carry so it's nice to get recommendations on everything Sephora has to offer!

@RoseCharlie I saved the KA Sensual Skin Enhancer to my loves list in the shade I believe best matches my skin tone so I could purchase it during the Spring sale.

Awww - I could feel your pain as I read this post! @starsandbucks

Yeah - I hate pushy salespeople. When this has happened to me, and I really didn't want to be rude, if the person pushing the product wasn't also the cashier or hovering near the register, I've hid the offensive product in the section next to the check out area of the store so I didn't have to buy it....

I feel your pain, I went into Ulta the other day and got cornered by a sales associate bent on selling me Butter London products.  I didn't want to be rude so I waited until she wasn't looking and put the products back 

I think this is why I prefer to shop online and return something if it doesn't work.

@starsandbucks Oh no! I'm so sorry about your experience and it's not funny but I laughed a bit just because that is EXACTLY the kind of thing I DO ALL THE TIME!

I have definitely felt awkward about not buying the products the SAs recommended so sometimes I ended up buying products I didn't like and I felt to awkward to return them so they just ended up collecting dust.

Something that I have found to be helpful to me (when I know that something is not going to be what I want or am looking for) is to say "oh, I have tried that product before and while it's lovely I already have something very similar, that's why I am looking for something a little different/more full-coverage now because I already have a product like this one." Or something like that. 

What do you think of the Kevyn Aucoin Sesual Skin Enhancer?!? I wanted to go to the store and to see if hopefully they carry it because I want to see if it works for me as a concealer and to see what my shade would be.  It's at the top of my purchase list right now but I have to go and try it to know if it will work for me.  I also need a new foundation, I am almost out of my Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, so I thought this product might be a bit of a 2-in-1... What do you think of it, do you think it would provide enough coverage for some serious dark circles?

Like @RoseCharlie, this is also the kind of thing I'd do when I felt pressured by SAs. XD It's a horrible feeling to be put on the spot and feel like you must comply. I started just saying "oh I already have that" whenever someone suggested something I didn't want or need. That has worked well for me, it takes the wind out of their sails immediately and forces them to move on. 😛

@Asche - Brilliant! : ) I am using that next time! : )

@Asche Ahh I'm trying this next time, I'm not a fast thinker which is why I end up buying all these unwanted things 😞 Thanks!

@AscheOMG!  "Oh, I already have that one" is my go-to line, too!  🙂

Lol, I use this line too.  A lot of the time it's actually true:) 

I would contact the store manager and maybe even district manager. I would ask if there was a Dior rep there on the day you were there and if so, state that they need to be upfront about it and your story. Sorry, but you asked for help for a colormatch and he didn't do it. If that isn't a Dior rep then is that who they want representing them? Also tell them that they took the tester and applied it straight to your face and didn't sanitize it. That is a big no no. Sorry, but this was a horrible brand rep or SA and it needs to be known. Next time you feel like you need to buy something just tell them no or take it and then give it to the person at the register and say you need to think about it and don't buy it. I know it is easier said than done for some but these people don't pay your bills so they can buzz right off if they are pushy.

I wish Sephora had a system for knowing who wants assistance and who wants left on their own, you know? Because for every 100 people that walk in, 50 are going to want questions answered... and 50 are going to be like "just let me swatch in peace, please (I'm in the latter group...)." Like in restaurants where you flip the sign when you want the waitstaff to come to your table, lol. "Hey, I'm ready for help!" "Noooope, still just browsing." Pushy salespeople almost always have me ready to leave... and, yeah, I'll just buy whatever to get them to leave me alone so I can go. 😞

I've had similar things happen to me before with sales people. Don't beat yourself up about it; just return the Dior concealer and move on. He likely caught you off guard as we don't expect to have to defend how we look or what we're interested in when we're shopping.

I'd ignore what he said about your nose too. This is all relative to me to some degree; I mean, it's normal to me to have some color variation on people's faces--if they don't, then they are either covered with makeup or are uncommonly blessed. It's tacky of him to have used such a rude comment in a clumsy attempt to convince you to buy his product.

He should also have openly identified himself as being a Dior rep. I agree with you that these reps should be easily identifiable by both brand and individual's name.

Today was frustrating. I went to Sephora to shop, only to find that 6 things I was looking for were not in stock. Also, the YSL display was really looking neglected, so I asked an SA what was going on. I was told YSL is not going to be carried at my store anymore! 😞 Sephora was the only store in my area that has YSL. I left without purchasing a thing today. This combined with all of the annoying website problems has me feeling disappointed. I consoled myself by visiting the Chanel and MAC counters at Nordstrom.

giphy (1).gif

I'm sorry 😞 my store is updating, and we got some Sunday Riley stuff! Mine is just a very little SIJCP though. 

Oh no! Hugs to you @angel7594 ❤ I actually went into my SiJCP today and also walked out with nothing. The store was a wreck. Nothing was in stock. I couldn't even enjoy looking at anything because of how messy it was lol. Walked right out. 

It is a good way to feel better @Asche 😄 I should have tried that but I couldn't get out of there fast enough 😛 

I really feel like a lot of the stores need a deep cleaning. Sorry, but if the display looks gross then I am not excited about trying products. Everything is usually grubby. A good monthly oe even quarterly deep cleaning would do the stores a ton of good.

@Mcakes I feel that way about the Sephora at the Eaton's Centre in Toronto. It always looks like a tornado has gone through it and everything you're looking for is always OOS.

I have never hopped over to MAC for a consolation lipstick though. I am definitely doing that next time! 😄

That is a bummer! But I must say, I love the way you console yourself. 😄

1 Reply
testing