Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@Asche, A Chanel gloss and MAC lipstick definitely made the day a little brighter! 😄

I typically get great service at my local Sephora store, but that wasn't the case yesterday when I decided to go and pick up a couple of things and get the Selfie Light promo.  I was happy to see several products that I wanted to swatch including two Natasha Denona palettes.  I struck up a conversation with a SA that looked like she would rather be anywhere but there.  I mentioned how happy I was to see these palettes in the store and how much prettier the shades were in person than online.  She replied with Yeah, I don't know how people buy makeup online, that's just stupid. - then walked away from me.  So I immediately took the palette out of my shopping bag and put it back on the shelf because I decided I'll be buying it online. 

What's up with the attitude with some of these SA's?  If you don't like dealing with the public, don't work in retail. 

@AMK721Wow!  That was pretty rude of her!  Sorry about your experience! 😞

I'm sorry you had a bad experience @AMK721 ! I usually get great service at Sephora too. Having worked in retail before there are so many factors to why she may have acted the way she did. None of them reason enough for her to act the way she did-that was inappropriate! She may have just been having a bad day. We've all been there. Some customers are just beyond rude and awful. Even then you still have to put a smile on your face and treat the next guest with respect and enthusiasm. It's a hard and often thankless job.  

@McakesI'm not upset or mad about it because I understand retail is not always easy (been there, done that). I was just surprised at her comment and the fact that she walked away from me.  I'm in the store frequently and have never seen her before so she may be new or just helping out. 

There are certain cast members that I will seek out because of the service I get with them.  This was an unusual experience at my local store.

@AMK721 I agree, that comment and her walking away was unacceptable. It's a good thing that you have good relationships with the other girls that work there! Next time you go in and see her try to get name from one of the girls you know and complete a survey. 

Truthfully, I have never gotten good service from a cast member at Sephora. I've been dismissed as a customer repeatedly. I'm 30, but at 5' tall, I still look like I'm 12, so I think that's a huge part of it. It's unfortunate. I've learned to just rely on reviews from beauty bloggers I trust as well as doing my own extensive internet research, and I make most of my purchases online. If I do go into a store, the best I can hope for is to dodge the staff, because if/when I do encounter them... they're always snarky. It sucks.

I love makeup, so I guess for me I'd feel like a giddy kid in a candy store to get to work with makeup all day and be able to interact with people who love makeup too... so I really don't understand the snark! Life is short, be happy!

Same here @khaleesi I've got a couple decades on you but I'm only 4'11" and I agree that I think my height deters SAs from helping me.  If they work on commission it would be a big mistake to not help me LOL

LOL, buying makeup online is stupid huh? Hmmm, interesting. If that's the case, then why is it every time I've had my foundation matched by a Sephora SA I look like an oompa loompa, but I have no problem finding a correct match when I do it online. 😛

I popped in to Sephora yesterday to check out the new Too Faced highlighters, which are pretty but a little too glittery for me, which I could have overlooked if the packaging was a little more sturdy. Anyway, I really thought I was going to grab the rose gold one, so when I decided it wasn't worth it, I checked out the other highlighters at the stand.

I fell in love with the Kevyn Aucoin Neo Limelight one, but as I was checking out the packaging saw that it's made in China. Am I the only one that's really disappointed by that? I feel that if I'm going to spend $60 on a highlighter (or any makeup), I want it to be made in North America or Europe. Am I crazy? I was just really surprised such a high end brand is made in China. So, I went home highlighter-less 😞

Chinese manufacturers can produce whatever quality you need. It's the decision makers in North America to blame. 

Let's say for a product that costs 5 dollars to make in North America, it'll probably cost 3~4 dollars to make the product with the same quality in China. But if companies in North America decide they would only pay a dollar for it, you think it's the Chinese manufacturers' fault? You think companies will accept the goods without inspecting the quality? Becca for example, when customers found out about the poor quality of the JH collection, they blamed the Chinese manufacturer. But come on, do you really think Becca wouldn't know about the poor quality in the first place? Do you really think a big company like Becca doesn't have a sound system for quality? Do you really think if that's what happened, they wouldn't have sued the a*s off the manufacturer?

I apologize if I offended anybody. 

Just buy it!!!  You live here.  

Don't start panicking now! Won't be the first or last time you consume Made in China goods.  ;')

For several personal reasons, which include recommendations from Doctors as well. I will be trying to avoid purchasing goods made in China.

Dont worry another product will swoop you away soon. Probably even tomorrow because we are beauty junkies 😄

I wwatched the Kevyn Aucoin one and rejected it due to it being made in China. I'm a little sad about all of the ABH highlighter palettes being made in China too 

agree completely. Also, I wish all sites like Sephora would just list where all items are made on the item page instead of being secretive about it. I just return any item I bought online that says Made in China anyways. its the first thing I check on something new I bought. Also, I'll add this but most people already know that if it says "made in PRC" that is "people's republic of china" which is of course "china". its a sneaky way some companies try to hide where an item is made. there is also the other shady thing where it says "made in USA of domestic and imported parts". I just go ahead and assume it means its was mostly made in China. these high end companies need to stop doing this. ETA: actually I feel all makeup/skincare/etc type companies need to stop doing this because its potentially dangerous to consumers. Also, the made in china issue seems to pop up more often on palettes and value sets from various brands sold at Sephora and elsewhere for some reason. just something I've noticed over time. 

Yeah I also noticed they don't tell you online where a product is made. I wish they did that, too.

@snoflakefaerie I get where you're coming from. I try to stay away from products made in China and I am bummed that the Kevin Aucoin palette was made in China because it was on my list for the spring vib sale 😞

I was super bummed. It is so pretty, but I can't justify it. I think I might grab the Tarte Skin Twinkle Vol 2 instead. I've got to swatch it again, but I'm hoping that will satiate my need for glow!

I'm going to have to encourage you to try the Tarte Skin Twinkle Vol 2 palette. It's so beautiful and buttery!! I have a ton of highlight palettes and individual highlights and I still find myself reaching for this palette the most. Do it! 😬 @snoflakefaerie

So peeved!  I was eagerly anticipating wearing my new CoverFX Drops in Halo, so I applied a small amount to my brow bone as a highlighter. 2 hours later it had migrated to my crease and my eyelids swelled up!  Thinking maybe this baby is going back...

@prettyinpa I though I was crazy because I too reacted to the halo drops. When I applied over my makeup on cheek bones it was ok.. but then as I experimented more and applied on cheek bones over bare skin and mixed in with moisturizer/foundation, my skin itched and next day broke out in a bad rash and several bumps. I had also tested on the lids and they got so watery I removed it immediately.

It is now 10 days and just now getting back on track to clearing my skin - but ofcourse now I am left with some pigmented/scarred spots which in my skin take months to fade 😣 

testing