Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@moxiepancakes Wow. That's weird. I'm not seeing any zodiac signs, so they must have moved it. Might have been a website glitch, though. Especially since the list was all jumbled. 

As an anthropologist, I got very confused for a second. Then I realized you were probably referring to the store, in which case I am in wholehearted agreement.

K, I know it's Feb already.. but this is still buggin' me.

We always share xmas with some friends of ours.. and the last year has been difficult financially for them. They directly asked us to limit gifts to $20 specifically so that they didn't feel awkward in keeping finances in check over the holidays. We respected that, and did so. No fudging, no playing around, just followed their wishes and kept the gifts very small but thoughtful.

Then xmas comes, and they spend over $200 on us! I know it was that much because one of the gifts was a $100 gift card to a restaurant. Blatant. 

I don't know the word for what I'm feeling.. but it bugs me. It bugs me because.. I don't even know! It's not a 'contest win/lose' issue, just kinda of that they 'hobbled' us to a limit, imposed their will upon us.. and then did not adhere to the agreed upon terms! It just.. makes me not trust them?

I'm crazy in the head.

@Insomniacmuffin, I'd be pretty baffled by this, too.

Their insistence that you limit your gifts to $20 is understandable considering what they're going through but its bogus the way they went against their own request.

Its hard to be peeved at a gift but its the principle of the request.

I'd like to think that they were unexpectedly gifted the gift card and wanted give you guys something extra to show that they're doing okay. Who knows.

Hopefully they appreciated that you followed their wishes.

@Insomniacmuffin  I would feel really awkward about that too, not to mention somewhat annoyed.  I don't think you're crazy in the head at all.  

On the same vein, but slightly different:  I outright refuse to exchange gifts with my in-laws.  I always shop early, and they know that, and one year my MiL called me up in the middle of December to tell me that my SiLs decided that everyone would just pick a name of a sibling (and their attached family) and that's who the gift giver would give gifts to, and that they'd already drawn a name for me and my husband.

And I was like, 'Actually I've already bought gifts for people.  They're wrapped and ready to be delivered', and my MiL told me to 'just take them back'.  So I just noped really hard right there and then and told them that no one would be getting anything from us and that we wouldn't be participating in their drawing.

That was over ten years ago, and I'm still a little sour over that, even though I've tried to put it behind me.  I just don't do well with people telling me what to do and deciding for me without my input.  Gifts should be something you want to give someone, not something you're forced or coerced into doing.  Having someone force a limit, then not sticking to it themselves would probably humiliate me to no end, to be completely honest.

The older I get, the more awkward December gets for me because of all the gift giving rituals and the expectations that come from mutual gift giving, or if someone gives you a gift then they feel obligated to give you back something or vice versa.

TLDR: You're not crazy.  I'd be annoyed too.

This is even more bogus, @ghrelin

I would be offended by this, too. Its so nice when people put such thought into their presents and to ask you to return these gifts feels so disrespectful.

Not sure why they couldn't just concede and be thankful that you thought enough of them to buy their gifts in advanced. 

Hopefully the hubby understands.

I know I do.

@EvangelineDamon  Yeah it was pretty ridiculous.  To this day they don't understand why I was so offended by it.  But then they also don't understand why I don't want them to just show up at my house and let themselves in without warning.  It baffles them that I lock my door even when I'm home.  I'm just like, um, yeah that's just not safe...  Maybe I am crazy, but at least I'm safer for it?

So, it's just this weird disconnect between their family dynamic and the way I view things.  I don't hate them or anything, but I just kind of keep my distance as much as possible.  My husband is pretty understanding about it, and I'm all for him spending as much time with his family as he wants.  It's just too much drama for me to handle.  

As for Christmas gifts, these days we give his parents a gift and my my mother gets a gift, and that's it.

Omg. My in laws do the exact same thing but they do it every year like 2 or 3 days before Christmas.I haven't participated in like 5 years and even worse I tried to get the name drawing thing done at Thanksgiving and they were like no only our daughter can do it. I hate the holidays 

@sonnydee  I would just die if I had to deal with that kind of drama.  I totally feel for you.  That would be so frustrating.

I feel like such a Scrooge saying this, but December really is just this hyped up season of sadistic consumeristic ritual we subject ourselves to yearly under the delusional belief that it's going to be a good time.  

Thanks @ghrelin i could probably start my own thread about the nightmares of my in laws but then no one would want to get married! 🙂

@sonnydee   I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who have had  inlaw issues.  In some ways, I'm always just a tiny bit jealous of people who have wonderful relationships with their inlaws, but then it goes away quickly as I realize that while I may not have a wonderful relationship with my inlaws, at least it isn't worst than it already is!

Good luck with your inlaws!  😄

Maybe they got an excellent deal on the card, or were gifted it and didn't have anything else to give. Other possibilities: they couldn't find anything they felt was nice enough on the budget, they felt like they owed you, or they intend to be taken along to the restaurant 😉

I bought random gifts for a friend in October because I actually do feel like I owe her, although mainly because I wanted to, and because I didn't think she would be able to do Christmas gifts with ease. You can always even things up for yourself by giving random out-of-the-blue gifts

@Insomniacmuffin That is tough!  I've had situations where friends/family agreed not to exchange gifts and then they showed up with gifts anyway - so awkward! 😣

Beauty Pet Peeve: Myself

Why do I wait around to pull the trigger on an item obviously on its way out the door?

Dang me and dang Sephora for playing with my emotions

fri.gif

**I'm not 100% sure where to post this so it is posted here & in the Random Thoughts thread:

If you recently purchased from MUJI please double check the security of your credit/debit cards.  

I made a purchase a few days ago when another BTer first notified us that they were having a sale on some of the acrylic drawers.  While out this evening my card was denied.  I had to call my bank to verify recent purchases & they notified me that I recently purchased from a compromised merchant.  By process of elimination, and seeing a post a couple days ago from a different BTer that a MUJI purchase led to fraudulent charges on her card, I believe this resulted from purchasing through the MUJI website.

Although my bank account is setup to notify me of things like this immediately, it wasn't until I tried to shop in a physical store that this was brought to my attention so please check. I hope this helps someone!

Was this Bank of America????  BOA is notorious for doing this.  They basically send me a new card like 3 times a year because of something like this.  They just shut down my card without notice.  This is their credit card, btw.

LOL, yes @wheeeee!  I had them send me a new card during the Target fiasco but my old card was active until a certain date and/or I activated the new one.

Bummer!  I didn't participate in this, but thank you for warning everyone that might have.

I'm so sorry this happened to you!  Glad your bank was careful, but I hate having my card declined!  😞

ugh I know @Milou07.  It's the WORST feeling and just my luck I didn't have any other cards or my checks with me.  Fortunately a friend was with me and just paid for it; I would've felt even worse if I'd had to put everything back (oh the judgment) 🙈 

Thank goodness it wasn't as you were trying to pay for dinner or a night of drinks! I can't even imagine if it was something you couldn't even put back had your friend not been there. Thanks for the heads up.

RIGHT!  That would've been 10x worse (aka 10x more mortifying) @snoflakefaerie

6 Replies
testing