Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

pet peeve: when you ask someone what perfume or lipstick or nail polish they're wearing and they say "I don't know". I always feel like they're lying because they don't want you to go out and buy it. I mean, how do you not know what you are putting on your face?! I like being unique too, but come on....if someone compliments something of mine, I'm flattered and happy to share the info! 

I guess if you love makeup like we do it is possible to forget a product, since we have so much of it....but yea, still think most people are lying lol

@HelloCoffee  I'm sure some people do lie (which really baffles my mind because it's such a silly thing to lie about, but they do), but like some other people have said, I wouldn't suspect people too harshly.  

At the moment, I'm wearing nail polish and I honestly could not tell you the brand name or the color name.  I'd have to go look it up on the internet.  I also don't know the color names of ANY of my lipsticks and I only know the name of one of my lip glosses.  

When I first started wearing perfume years ago, I had a very hard time remembering the name and brand of the ONE bottle of perfume I owned.  I had a coworker that asked me what I was wearing and I had to resort to describing the bottle.  I was so clueless about perfume at that time, but I always got the feeling that she thought I was lying about not knowing what I was wearing.

Though, to be fair, I've called my friends and family members by the wrong name before and also blanked out on their names!  So maybe I just have a bad memory.  

In defense of the "I don't know" people: I'm one of those that if my nail color is complimented, I have to answer that I don't know the color name/brand as I get gel manicures from a salon. They hand me the ring of swatches, I pick one, and that's that. Even if I was able to see the brand/color used, I don't believe they sell them in stores like Ulta, Sephora, etc since they're a new form of powdered color that turns into gel.

Now, as for lipstick and everything else, I always definitely know what I'm wearing.  If someone asks I get very excited and will give out the name, brand, website, discount codes, whatever they need to get it too!

Honestly, I never knew what I was wearing BEFORE I got into makeup. Well into my twenties, people would ask, "what eyeshadow are you wearing?" and I would say, "purple!" Lmao I wasn't trying to be rude, I just thought that was the answer.

Now that I'm into makeup, I want to go back to my younger self and slap me LOL!

The only time I do that is if someone like an older lady asks me in public and I'm wearing Sex Machine on my lips or Orgasm on my cheeks. LOL I don't really want to tell them vulgar names or anything so I say I'm not sure 🙂

ha, I get asked a lot about accessories and don't mind telling them exactly where I got things.  Sometimes I don't know because I'm unfamiliar with a lot of Japanese brands/stores and that's where I get a lot of my more fun stuff that seems to get the most attention. I just redirect them to asos or somewhere I think may carry something similar. 

I may not always know my nailpolish shades, but I can tell people the brand.  For lipsticks I always know.  No one ever really asks about my blush or eyeshadow though.  🙂

I wear one of my favorite perfumes a lot! I've been wearing it for years. And I can never remember the name 😄 I mean, I know what I'm wearing but can't articulate to anyone that asks. 

I'm like, it's The House of Vanilla in French, or something and it's the kind of more tropical one, because there are five in the series. I sound like an idiot!

I will usually just say the brand, for these reasons in particular. It's hard to remember which one if it's a number of them in a series. I think it's ok if you try to be helpful.

@HelloCoffee I'd give them the benefit of the doubt :).

I get a lot of compliments on my jewelry and lipstick, etc.... and since I switch it up everyday, I legit don't remember what I'm wearing most of  the time so I have to look down at my necklace/bracelet/ring or fish my lipstick out of my bag to remind myself if they ask the brand or where I got it.  

I always know what perfume I am wearing and happily provide the details to anyone who asks.

Nail polish is a whole other story, but I usually remember at least the  brand if I did my nails myself.  When I paint my nails, I leave the polish out on my bathroom counter for touchups during the week, so if a friend asks about the shade, I usually text them when I get home and can double check the name.

I guess I don't really worry about people copying me - Even if they do buy the same lipstick, since I switch mine up so much, the odds of us wearing it on the same day are slim.  And I won't tell you how old I am, but my bestie and I shop together and often show up at work with the same lipstick or bag or top on the same day and people tell us it is cute. 🙂

I don't think it's necessarily lying in most cases. When someone asks me, I can usually give you the brand name of the product, but I almost never remember the actual name of a shade for a blush or lipstick or nail polish. I just grab something from the color family or with the right finish, etc, that I want for that day, and I certainly don't have all the shade names memorized. 

Well, I think it sort of depends on the level of interest the person has in beauty products. My mom, for example, can NEVER remember the shades of what she's wearing, or even the brand. I helped her get a shade of Bite lipstick (Sake), and she really likes it, but has to keep asking me what it is so she can rebuy it. I don't think she can read the label either, the lettering is too small... 

I always feel this way about youtubers that completely ignore questions about their hair colour. The good ones will be honest and say they go to a salon and will get/share the info from their stylist, but others won't say a single word. Won't even admit they go to a salon, despite the thousands of questions they've gotten about their hair. I don't get it. What is the big secret?! Especially when anyone could easily just take a photo to a salon and ask for that colour. -__-

nail polish i'll just try to remember my best, perfume i have very few so i'll give  a quick info if they ask. they never ask. i have been asked about my clothing and accessories, sometimes i say it, sometimes i'm like should i? hmmm i don't want to share that, because when it comes to accessories and clothing, i am always mixing it up to make it look unique and i don't want someone in the same town as me copying the style. hahahahahahahahaha. >>

Sometimes they really don't know what nail polish they're wearing if they get their nails done at a salon. So often I'll ask someone what polish they're wearing and they can't remember which one they chose. *Nuggles* 

ok, ok, lol...I guess that's an exception...especially if it is a gel color because a lot of those just have numbers....

Ok, so based on your experiences and stories maybe I am being a bit negative lol. I'll try giving the benefit of the doubt

: )

Today I was at my local Sephora store and asked for a sample of the Drunk Elephant whipped cream. The lady took it straight from the open jar on display! No way am I putting that on my face! 

They can't be doing this on a regular basis can they? I've only asked for a cream sample once before, and she took out a jar from the drawer... 

A perk that would be nice as rouge would be for stores to have sealed from factory samples of skin care products for us upon request . I have ended up buying 90% of the things I receive deluxe or regular sealed samples of.

That's why I don't ask them to make samples for me....

I have no qualms if things come with a pump.  Otherwise there's no way.  I've seen things.  

Agreed.  Things that cannot be unseen.

testing