Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

There let me re-track this thread 😛

I used Born This Way Foundation sample and I love it so much that I really want to buy it but then I get dishearten by my inventory of 5+ brand new high end foundations that I have not yet try.

Damn those samples!!!

I'm having this issue with the Kat Von D Lock it Concealer.  I got a peel-off sample, and it is amazing. 

... but I have three more full sized concealers to get through first.  Ugh!

I placed an order with Glamglow the other day for their sweet Halloween deal based on an ad I received in my inbox. I get a cancellation due to it being out of stock just now. What's above the cancellation email? Another ad for the promotional gift set. Not cool Glamglow. Stop advertising and spamming me with emails for items you do not have.

Booo! This is like an email sephora sent me reminding me I should stock up on my NUDE cleanser....but it was sold out 

This thread has become a breeding ground for negativity and nastiness.  I know Veronika's intentions were for us to have a place to share our beauty woes but it's become nothing but complaining and cruelty.  I hope that @candacebt @KatieBTand the other mods consider closing it down.  I'm sorry for everyone with legit issues and complaints that are being overshadowed by whining and pettiness.  

I think that there is going to be some discord, no matter what thread it is, heck even in families there's a certain amount of arguing, but the family still goes on.  We are all strong minded people and there's bound to be some disagreement, if it gets too much, the mods in the past have removed the offending posts, warned the participants and the thread generally goes on. It would be a shame if Veronika's post got shut down, it really is nice to have a place to come and and register a complaint, and who knows, it might make someone feel better that they had a place to state their mind.

Just my 2 cents from someone who has been on here for a long time and seen a lot of interactions.

I also agree with @michelleshops and @ShannonAlexis

V, you know how much I value you and your commitment to the community but people are by and large coming into this thread and being rude to each other.

it stopped being a thread where people complained about legitimate beauty woes a long time ago and the negativity in here drags BT down. 😞

Agreed! I am sure it was created with the intention of having fun but it has become more of a "human peeves " instead of "beauty peeves".

I agree, and would go so far as to call it a festering pool of malcontent.

It had good intentions and I don't like censoring, but this thread does not embody the spirit of the community.

Regular beauty woes and true beauty pet peeves can go in the Random Thoughts thread.

Well there was a time when BT was full of positivity and had a sense of community... but people complained and it sucked the fun right out. There are also plenty of threads on BT that had negativity but no one asked for them to get shut down… funny, I wonder why.

Sadly, this has happened to every forum/community I've ever been a part of. The more people you have, the more differing opinions there are (and mixed in with one or two bad apples whose sole interests are to stir things up). A public forum associated with Sephora is bound to have increased interest over the years (as opposed to the, um, Neopets forum I used to be a part of more than a decade ago when I was just a tween :D). I used to be very active on Makeupalley and a spin off forum about nail polish. There was SO MUCH DRAMA on those sites, lots of cliques and tons of negativity. From what I  hear, Reddit's MUA section isn't much better.

In general, I don't think closing threads will stop people from spreading negativity. This thread just happens to gather most of it. I've probably been guilty of it; something bothered me, so I came to vent.

Overall, I think we need a bit more mod intervention for BT. This is a HUGE community and while I'm sure there are always mods hard at work, they don't necessarily post much or intervene in a lot of conversations. I'm not saying we need censorship or anything, but maybe a gentle reminder here and there to be civilized from a mod is all it takes for a heated discussion to cool down. If any other member steps in to do it, those in the conversation already may take offense and the whole thing may end up worse than before, or others may see it as ganging up on someone.

Very well said @k617

@veronika23 I'm not arguing with you but I'm not sure which threads you are referring to? I think the nature of this thread seems to breed negativity. People come with legit peeves, but others regularly come here to passive agressively complain about the community or the people in it and that causes a lot of problems. Or like that one time that user complained about someone's physical features and feelings got hurt real quick. 

I understand the below comment that people have returned to "normal" peeves but it seems to be a regular occurrence. This isn't a commentary on you or your intentions. Just a poor use of this thread that can't be controlled so long as it exists. 

@Libellules the promo and bazaar threads for example and other random ones... I'll leave it at that.

@veronika23 @Libellules

Don't I know it 🙍🏽. I have to agree with V that some threads seem to get passes when there are attacks on other users.  I understand why some would want this thread closed but given the prevalence of similar occurrences in other threads it seems unfair that some have requested that this particular thread be shut down and not others.  

I do think that something needs to be done because it sucks to come across the negativity.  As a middle ground perhaps we should ask more from the mods?  Instead of shutting down particular threads altogether, pinpoint contentious comment chains & remove those?  This of course would require BTers to identify when comment chains are getting out of hand and to report them as detrimental to the overall spirit of the BT community.....just some thoughts ☺️

Here's the thing - this thread doesn't serve a meaningful purpose.

if it existed as a place for people to post complaints as a means to obtaining resolutions - that serves a purpose that is valuable to the community.

this thread in its current state is the equivalent of yelling at the sky. All it does is expel negative hot air into the virtual universe and give people who want to focus on negativity a place to congregate.

in general I avoid this thread like the plague and 'scroll on by' but it keeps getting more and more out of hand which is why I felt the need to pop in today.

Yeah, I agree with you! And I find that people will take personal offense to things that are said, even if what's being said has nothing to do with them.

I have posted in here once, complaining about an Ulta SA who was less than thrilled to be serving me (and she provided bad customer service which in turn made me upset), but now realize that not everyone likes seeing constant negativity, and I know I don't like it either, so I feel bad that I even posted anything at all :P.

@veronika23@ElleElleG the threads mentioned (promos, bazaar) serve different and dedicated purposes than for people to complain. And the promo thread HAS been shut down at users' request when it got out of hand.

That's true too @Libellules, they do serve different purposes (and perhaps the mods do step in for some occurrences/user requests).  I understand each side of the conversation regarding the state of this particular thread, which I don't have any firm convictions about either way.  Okay I lied, I am firm in my belief that shutting the thread down isn't necessarily fair to V. (Yes yes I realize that perceived fairness varies, & this statement is so not the point so moving on🙂).

For me, I'm thinking of BT as a whole.  As another BTer stated somewhere we bring our baggage from outside of the community in with us which shapes how we interpret the posts of others.  I'm more concerned about the personal attacks and "gaining up" on members as opposed to having a healthy disagreement where we leave all the extra personal jibes out of it.  

but but but but I like you @michelleshops I don't want this thread shut down 😞

@veronika23 I do agree with @michelleshops. There are some "fun" aspects to this thread (which I'm sure was your intention), but it seems to breed a lot of unnecessary negativity and rudeness :/.

1 Reply
testing