Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

I've been breaking out like crazy so I tried using spot fix and I'm afraid I overdid it ๐Ÿ˜ž It wasn't as noticeable mid-week but my skin is so angry that I dried it out so much and it's super itchy >.< I hate how it's so hard to find a middle ground with skin care (and so easy to go over the line!)

I hate this, too.  I always try to find my 'sweet spot'  with Retin-A and all is great and then wham! one day I get raw or too dry.   I gave up.

Try Marula oil. 

My Beauty dot com order shows out for delivery, but not to the correct city. I rechecked my actual order and I did enter my information correctly.

My Beauty dot com order shows out for delivery, but not to the correct city. I rechecked my actual order and I did enter my information correctly.

Edit, I did receive my package via Laser Ship which I never heard of.

I am lying in bed breastfeeding an almost sleeping baby and my lips are dry.  I am staring at my stash of 300+ lip products and can't do a thing right now.  Why am I not a Jedi?  I could really use the force right now. 

I've been there @heartsmyface  now I keep a stash of lip products and lotions in my nightstand and my kitchen drawer downstairs, my purse, my car, etc....u get the point.  I'm too lazy to run to the one place I keep them stored on my vanity, so better to stash them everywhere u might possibly need them

Oh hearts, if my psychic forces were in working order, I would teleport one over to you post haste. And forgive me for not congratulating you sooner! I just saw a picture of baby Zim yesterday! I'm so out of the loop. What a cutie pie!! Hope he's fast asleep. 

Thanks pixie!  I'm all set in case of future dryness attacks now.  What self respecting beauty loving girl doesn't have a stash of lip balms by the bed?  - besides me last night? ๐Ÿ˜…

I constantly have to keep re sighing in to BT. What's up with that??? 

That happens to me constantly on my phone.  Not so much on my other devices. 

Yes it's always been happening on my i phone but now more then ever Grrrrrr.

I don't think it ever kicks me out on my desktop but I'm rarely on BT when I'm on my desktop. 

I'm an almost exclusive iPad user these days.  It's way too convenient.  The desktop only comes out if I wanna watch something that requires Flash.  

I can see the security benefits of periodically signing you out on your phone just in case you lose it, but I'm thinking security is a measure people should have the option to take their own risks with.  

Then again, I assume most people have passwords in place so people can't access the contents of their phones in the first place. 

@heartsmyface There's an iPad app called Puffin, that lets you use flash. Super convenient! Hope that helps! If you have a lip balm that's not too melty, you can stash it in your nursing bra; I used to do that. 

So I thought the SF Give Me Some lip was back only to click and see it wasn't there ...booo!!!

I saw one of the Ciate palettes come in stock, added to my cart right away and checked out, then it was back to being out of stock again. I'm scared that I might have just bought a palette that didn't exist/vanished before I checked out.

Edit: EEEK!! I just got a shipping confirmation! ๐Ÿ˜„

Woohoo!!!!!    

@k617, which palette did you get?  I think there was originally 3 different ones in the sale section. Only only one is available now.

Score! ๐Ÿ˜„

So I wasn't sure where to stick this... so since a few things are just "ugh" lol I decided to stick it in this thread.

So I read an article yesterday on TWJ about people who go to Sephora (daily) and do their whole look there... makeup, nails, hair... they even bring their own brushes.  They don't buy anything at all... they just use up the stuff... am I the only one who finds this completely wrong and absolutely disgusting! YUCK!  You know how much bacteria is on those testers... gross!

This quote also PO'd me... like what??? Ugh. Just zip it!

"Alana Hope Levinson says she has been mooching off Sephora testers since she was a teenager. The 28-year-old writer views the practice as something of a feminist actโ€”a reaction to the high expectations of being a woman and the expenses that go along with it.

The old-school feminist response would be to forgo wearing makeup at all. But this is 2015!,โ€ she wrote in a blog post last year."

The title to her blog:

On Stealing From Sephora (Kinda)

Tester mooching as a feminist act

FULL ARTICLE - (Copy and pasted)

Spoiler

By

Khadeeja Safdar

Aug. 30, 2016 11:06 a.m. ET

Jayda Boyce has a bag full of cosmetics at home, but thereโ€™s a much better selection a few miles from her house. Best of all, itโ€™s totally free.

The 18-year-old student, who lives in Jacksonville, N.C., helps herself to the smorgasbord at the local Ulta Beauty shop, which offers testers for just about every kind of makeup product.

โ€œItโ€™s not like Iโ€™m trying to rob them,โ€ she says. And she isnโ€™t. Like many people, sheโ€™s just mooching off the storeโ€™s displays.

Beauty retailers such as Sephora and Ulta have been gaining on department stores. Part of their strategy is to let shoppers try out thousands of shading, sparkling, contouring and highlighting productsโ€”including Urban Decay eye shadow, Chanel perfumes and Smashbox lipsticks. There are no pushy salespeople. Just bright lights, open containers and plenty of mirrors.

Their self-service stations invite people to test the limits of whatโ€™s freeโ€”and many do, treating the places as extensions of their own bathrooms. Shoppers waltz in and spritz on dry shampoo (a powder that makes dirty hair look less greasy). Some use concealers to cover up undereye circles, others pamper themselves with a manicure. A few commuters drop by on their way to work, as if stopping in for a morning latte.

Ms. Boyce even brings her own makeup brushes for painterly sessions. Buying stuff isnโ€™t the point. โ€œI will occasionally leave with a productโ€”and have like 70 on my face,โ€ she says.

Keara James, who spent nearly three years working at a Sephora in New York City, is all too familiar with tester junkies.

โ€œThey would walk in bare bones, douse their bodies in perfume, walk out with everything on their face,โ€ she recalls. โ€œSome people would go through this whole shebang and act like they want to buy the product.โ€

Other particularly brazen women would dab and blot numerous samples onto brushes and then station themselves in front of a mirror to take care of business. Rarely, if ever, did they make a purchase.

โ€œThere was no shame in it,โ€ says Ms. James.

Ashley Berrios, 24, confesses trying on high-end makeup without buying it. One of her friends goes too far even for her liking when they visit the Sephora location in Wesley Chapel, Fla.

She โ€œpaints every single nailโ€โ€”with two coats and a top coat if itโ€™s available, says Ms. Berrios, a medical assistant. โ€œShe hasnโ€™t done her feet yet. I would abandon her for sure if she does that.โ€

Dymin Hayes, 23, doesnโ€™t just use testers for herselfโ€”she goes to the stores to apply makeup on friends. She recently performed a full-face makeover at the Ulta store in Carbondale, Ill.

The regimen included Becca foundation, Laura Geller highlighter and Anastasia Beverly Hills eyebrow enhancers. If purchased individually, the products would have cost more than $100.

Store salespeople didnโ€™t seem to mind, she says. โ€œTheyโ€™re not in your face.โ€

Beauty retailers do little to discourage freeloading. In fact, both Sephora, which is owned by LVMH Moรซt Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, and Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance Inc., pride themselves on how much product they give away. They both say they train employees to let customers do as they pleaseโ€”so long as it isnโ€™t too gross.

Ulta, which recently added 2,000 testers to its arsenal of more than 20,000 products, says it limits the practice to โ€œproducts that can be kept sanitary, do not require water to rinse off, and do not create an unsafe shopping experience.โ€ Hot tools like flat irons, for example, are off limits.

Biology professor Elizabeth Brooks and her team of researchers at Rowan University examined beauty testers at retailers a decade ago, ranging from high-end department stores to drugstores. The results from the oft-cited study showed that testers from more than 50% of products were contaminated with bacteria.

Dr. Brooks, who now works at Thomas Jefferson University, says she lets her daughters experiment with testers so long as they first ask store associates to clean them. โ€œItโ€™s all surface contamination. If the ladies wipe it off, we can get it near zero,โ€ she says.

Mascara is one tester everyone should avoid, says Dr. Brooks, because of the risk of conjunctivitis.

For some women, a used container of lipstick is a no-go. โ€œI would never use the blush,โ€ says Brittaney Check, a 26-year-old who works in strategic communications. โ€œThereโ€™s something about things people touch with their fingers.โ€

Sephora says it has โ€œthe strictest hygiene standardsโ€ and teaches employees how to prepare items for testing. โ€œThat includes using disposable applicators, cleaning all brushes before each use, how to โ€˜shaveโ€™ powder-based products, using sharpeners or alcohol to freshen pencils and lipsticks,โ€ says Julie Taing, a member of Sephoraโ€™s PRO Artists team of makeup experts.

Ms. Check recently popped into a Sephora location to apply foundation, mascara and lipstick before a last-minute date. โ€œItโ€™s essentially a public rejuvenation station for women who wear makeup,โ€ she says of Sephora. โ€œI think you would be hard pressed to find a girl who doesnโ€™t refresh in there.โ€

Alana Hope Levinson says she has been mooching off Sephora testers since she was a teenager. The 28-year-old writer views the practice as something of a feminist actโ€”a reaction to the high expectations of being a woman and the expenses that go along with it.

โ€œThe old-school feminist response would be to forgo wearing makeup at all. But this is 2015!,โ€ she wrote in a blog post last year.

Ms. Levinsonโ€™s go-to spot is the Sephora at Union Square in New York City. Recently, on her way to performing a literary reading, she freshened up there with a Giorgio Armani foundation, Nars blush, Chanel perfume and a Bumble and bumble hair spritzerโ€”using products worth a total of $200 individually.

โ€œIt was really hot and I just looked disgusting,โ€ says Ms. Levinson. โ€œThankfully, Sephora is there for me.โ€

Spoiler

I don't really care about "expectations" I love makeup and I do it because I love it! I am so sick and tired of people thinking we do it for other reasons.

This just reminds me that my husband subscribed to WSJ for years and rarely opened the darn thing. Now, I click through and cannot read the story without subscribing or logging in. If they had articles like this back when he subscribed, I would have read them more often.

testing