Beauty Disasters

officegal

Beauty Disasters

The other day I worked extra slowly on my makeup to achieve flawless complexion, radiance and illumination. I had already finished my eye makeup when, in a moment of feeling clever, I thought it would be fun to try using Benefit High Brow on my lower waterline to make my eyes look more alert.

BAD IDEA!

Instantly my eyes turned super red and teared. I ended up having to remove everything on the lower part of the eyes and re-conceal the under eye area.

Have you tried to be extra clever with your makeup, only to end up with a disaster instead? Confess!

margaret1975

Re: Beauty Disasters

Pfft!  Is that all?  When I first started wearing makeup, I used to paint stripes down my cheeks with blush.  I thought that it accentuated my cheekbones.  I used to wear heavy eyeshadow and black eyeliner that reached past the the outer tips of my eyes to my eyebrows. 

I thought that I looked good!:smileytongue:

My father, who has a wicked sense of humour, had the foresight to take lots of pictures.  Now, 20 years later, he thinks nothing of pulling out those pictures and showing them to EVERYONE!!! :smileyvery-happy:

naturalbeauty21

one time i was rushing on my way to school so i swiped on my mascara and eyeliner and i wish that i had realy looked at myself before i left because my mascara got on my lids all over and my eyeliner was smudging all under my eye. now if im ever in a rush i either put it on in the bathroom in between classes or just dont put it on.

pandapple6

The other day, I had a sort of smokey eye look but it was light-ish colors. I never use mascara and so since it was the weekend I decided to wear it. It looked really bad. I have long eyelashes, so it made my lashes look like false eyelashes, and I already had on black eyeliner and a dark-salmon-ish/burgundy lipstick so my makeup looked WAY overdone. 

Also, at a time when I first started wearing makeup, I had two eyeshadow colors. A light color, and a purple color for the crease. I used half and half on my lid without blending and brought the lighter color all the way up to my brow bone. It looked pretty bad. 

shyvicki

I have all kinds of stories I could tell on this. What's the character max? :smileyvery-happy:

I will have to scan and post a couple pics of me when I was 14. Teal eye shadow with dark pink "highlight" shadow, fuchsia lipstick, overdone blush. That was my favorite look then. I now prefer sheer lip gloss and softer eye shadow colors and have lightened up on the blush.

Sun-In on naturally dark brown hair. Fortunately I've since come to realize I look weird as a blonde anyway. I prefer burgundy for my hair now.

I mentioned in the "Regret Buying" thread about using an at-home hair color remover. I learned the hard way that it's a hair killer and was lucky I had any hair left although I had to get it cut pixie short to get rid of the damage.

ohhenri

shyvicki wrote:

Sun-In on naturally dark brown hair. Fortunately I've since come to realize I look weird as a blonde anyway. I prefer burgundy for my hair now.

Sun-In!!! I forgot about that!! It's the worst product ever!!! Like you, my hair is naturally dark brown (and I have the eyebrows that match) and I used a ton of Sun-in, so my hair was kinda blond...with super dark eyebrows... Isn't it great to be a teenager!! (I was 13 at that time).  But the worst part (yes, there's worse than looking oh-so bad), is that my hairstylist had to cut so much of hair after my sun-in experience because it was too damaged...

prettyinpa

@ohhenri-  Yeah, I remember Sun-In, I managed to turn my hair into straw, both in texture and color. Then swim team time came along and the straw turned green, but patchy, so it looked like I had multicolor green/amber/red hair, kind of like a bad bale of hay!

katie1724

How could I have forgotten about Sun-In? That was my first -- and worst -- beauty disaster, one that lasted for three years! I still have my middle school autograph book where people wrote "Dear 2-colored hair girl: Have a great summer." To this day, I have been wary of coloring my hair, period.

My hair was way too dark for Sun-In. I tried to rationalize that it would work because the bottle indicated that it would add sun streaks for blondes -- medium brown hair...and I have medium brown hair, but between brown and blond is ORANGE. It bleached and ruined my hair, turning it into straw, as prettyinpa said. Even though I had it dyed back by a professional, you could always tell the difference because the dyed hair was so damaged. Even when I dyed it permanently, the brassiness would always burn right back through. Ugh!

: )

ohhenri

The Joy of Sun-In!!!

I wanted so much to be blond, I think I used it almost everyday for almost all summer long (I bought like 2 or 3 bottles). AT the end of the summer, my hair was pretty light. It was also was pretty long (at the lower part of my back), but it was so damaged (you couldn't even say it was like straw, it was more like straw gone bad!!) that my hair stylist had to cut it up to my shoulders... Bad bad experience!!

islandqt

have them all the time mostly due to my indecisiveness!

I can't count how many times I have chosen powder foundation over liquid  forgetting that I havent put on my concealer yet! (I have to do it by the book because it will cake on me). it's so annoying! Or when I set my foundation with powder only to realize I hadn't added concealer yet!

When I have already put on my foundation and then I decide to a dark smokey eye. Something about me, falldown of any colored shadow really shows up on me and I have this stupid reflex of swiping at falldown with my fingers and then it is officially rubbed into my skin. :-/

Used too much milk of magnesia on my face as a primer and ended up with white patches on my face. You REALLY have to use a light hand if you use this as a face primer.

Used Expired mascara on my lashes and paid the price. NEVER AGAIN! It burns so badly!

There's more but I can't think of any yet!

officegal

@j12003 - YIKES!!! That sounds so painful. I have super dry chapped lips so I just stay away from all lip plumping products, especially that Venom stuff. Shudders.

@prettyinpa - Your story made me laugh. Clueless husbands are so cute. :smileyvery-happy:

emiliea

I have continual beauty disasters each time I try to pull off the smokey eye. I'm using my May VIB consult to learn how to do it properly, because each time I try, I wind up looking like I got punched in the eye/ am a raccoon. Then, I have to sit there wiping and wiping and wiping with eyeshadow remover to try to get it off, and it never seems to come all the way off. :smileysad:

ohhenri

I have bad allergies, so I sneeze a lot... And almost everytime I apply my mascara, I sneeze before it had time to set and I end up looking like a racoon. Not that big of a deal, I just wait for the mascara to dry then it goes off pretty easily. But, one morning this week (I think it was 2 days ago), I left my house forgetting that I needed to wipe my mascara under my eyes, put on my sunglasses and off to work I was. I also pick a frien on the way, but since I had my sunglasses on, she didn't notice a thing... So i found out, almost an jour later, I still looked like a racoon until one of my coworker told me, yay !! At least, I was still in the teachers lounge, and not in class with my students!

officegal

Haha, I knew there would be a lot of funny stories around here. :smileyvery-happy:

My first makeup disaster was the first time I ever wore a lipstick. I took a bright orange Elizabeth Arden sample lipstick I stole from my mom and wore it at school all day long, not realizing I looked like a freaky clown. I was 13 or 14 at the time. It's weird now that the orange lip is in trend!

Jillie

Oh gosh, I totally forgot one of the ultimate beauty disasters I experienced when I was kid...

I want to say I was either 13 or 14? For school we had this trip to go to Washing D.C for a week and see the historic sites. Well I lived in Southern CA where it doesn't get very cold, when we were in DC it was snowing and was freezing. I got horrible chapped lips, I am talking there was a ring ABOVE my lips from me continuing to lick them and they were cracked and at one point they actually started bleeding... yea it was bad. So on the 4th night we got to go to one of the Malls and there was a Sephora, and it was actually one of the first times I had ever been inside a Sephora. All the "popular" girls were buying Lip Venom (by DuWop) and I thought "Oh I want to look cool, so maybe I'll buy it?" Sooooo I bought it and when I got out of the store I instantly put it on my lips. I remember thinking oh wow this is great, and than all of a sudden the excitement turned into pain and I remember I actually started to tear up and cry because my lips were burning SO bad, I remember thinking my lips were going to fall off because of the pain. I remember going to the bathroom and trying to wipe off the lip gloss and no joke the burning sensation lasted for an hour and a half. My lips after getting the lip gloss off were so huge and so red, I looked so sad and ridiculous.

Plus to add insult to injury... This one boy I had a HUGE crush on came up to me and called me "double lips" and him and his friend started laughing at me. I was so embaressed. My poor lips, it hurt so bad! 

prettyinpa

@j12003, Oh that's such a sad story!

My beauty disaster happened recently, we went to a music festival that started in the afternoon when it was still sunny. I had already put on sunscreen before I left (2 hour trip to go there) so when I got to the concert, I needed to put on more sunscreen. I had a couple of older tubes of expensive sunscreen in my bag that I wanted to use up, so I just slathered it on. Turns out that they must have thickened up and I didn't notice that they left big white globby patches all over my face (no mirrors at outdoor concerts). My arms looked ok because I was using cheap stuff from the drugstore, that just rubbed in fine. I went over and was talking to the performers and had lots of conversations with people, they were very friendly, though the women performers did look at me oddly. 

As we were going home that night, I was scratching my face and came up with one of the white globs. I said, "Ewww!" Hubby asked me what I was ewwing about, I said "I have a sunscreen glob". Turns out he noticed that I had lots!!! of them, but when I said "why didn't you say something"? he answered, "Oh you always have globs when you are out gardening, I just figured you like it like that". Grrr.

sephoramusthave

A couple of years ago I tried out a new sunscreen and I was running late so I left the house with no makeup on, and almost the entire day people were staring at me like I was a burn victim or something but it never clicked with me that something was wrong, so I went about my day and when I went to the restroom I scared the living hell out of myself! My whole face was WHITE. Not see through semi ghost white...it was like bed sheet white. I cant believe no one came up to me and told me I needed to wipe my face! I didnt have any sort of face wash or wipes with me, and the bathroom was out of soap so I spend 30 min in the bathroom scrubbing my face raw with scratchy recycled paper towels. I went through the rest of my day with a red irritated face. ( I never carry my makeup bag with me....)

Jillie

When I was 15 I was obsessed with neon colored anything (I still absolutely LOVE neon colors)... I want to say it was by N.Y.C and they came out with these neon colored eyeshadows that were in a palette, there was 5 eyeshadows in the palette: neon yellow, neon orange, neon green, neon pink and neon blue. I thought it was the best thing that had ever happened to me and beyond amazing. Well the day that I bought it, happened to be my brothers birthday, of coarse I just HAD to wear the new eyeshadows I bought and no joke I wore EVERY SINGLE ONE of the colors that were in this palette. I applied it like stripes of color on my eyelid one color after the other... and let me just say I thought I looked AMAZING. My mom didn't really say anything because she wanted me to I guess express myself? But my father on the other hand took one look at me and said "Holy cr@p, what in the world is going on with your makeup? Sweetheart, you look ridiculous" Well needless to say I did not care and I kept the eyeshadow on. WELL there is this one picture of me taken that night and I swear I looked like a clown mixed with a hooker. I looked ridiculous. I can't help but laugh because it really looks that bad. Needless to say, lesson learned!

katie1724

I hate when I forget to put my contacts in before applying sunscreen / makeup. OUCH. It doesn't matter if I wash my hands thoroughly or not -- even the trace amounts that remain kill my eyes, which makes my nose run -- so if I've already done my makeup, and/or eye makeup, it basically turns into a hot mess. Once I was on public transportation when my eyes started to tear (again) -- my nose started running -- I couldn't help but touch my eye, it hurt so badly, but it ended up smearing everything I was wearing. Now, I remember (most of the time) to put on eye cream and moisturizer, then dry my hair, THEN put in my contacts before anything else. Otherwise, it's not good (or pretty).

I also really wish I had not had an uncharacteristic affinity for pastel colored eyeshadow circa 2003-2004. I remember thinking it looked pretty, but let me tell you, it did not photograph well. I look like a reverse raccoon in practically every picture of me taken during that time period.

: )

katimae

I can't remember any except for those 7th grade liquid black eyeliner with the white jersey's with the black 1/2 sleeves With stupid   I <3 Boysname in rainbow letters.  Ohhhhh, man.

My most recent ones were with UD 24/7 Iiners and the Naked palette. I'm not going into it if you want to see you can read what I wrote under this segment with subject being "being different"  Too tired to write anymore tonight.i

smartmint

(0) Hearts

When I first started wearing makeup I got a clinique 2 in 1 bronze lip stick and pink lip gloss. I was still a little uncertain with the lipstick because I had never used one before. But just to try it I lightly used it and then put the gloss over it to make it look younger (I was only 11!). I went to school and no one said anything. So I told my friend about it and I told her how I think it was too heavy of a look for me to wear to school. So I said I would wear it again the next day (she was absent the day before) so she could tell me if she thought it was too much. So the next morning I decided I was going to try to put even less on than the previous day. When I met with her in school, before I could tell her I went extra light she made a face and said I put WAY too much on! I was so embarrassed because if I looked so heavy then, what did I look like the day before!?!?!?!?

Also one of my first eye shadow sets had a light blue a gray and a navy blue. I couldn't help but love the intensityof the navy. I thought it looked amazing and wore it to school. The first few times it went great! Then a few of my friends started to make comments like it was way too dark and how it looks ridicules in school. Then I started to realize that not even the oldest kids wore such dark eye shadow! (I was the youngest grade)

The best part of Beauty disasters are now you can look at them and laugh! Also you learn a thing or to on what NEVER to do again! Haha! Hope you all liked hearing mine! :smileywink:

tiffanybt

@ officegal. When I first started working for Sephora they gave us a nude lip pencil which I thought was for your eyebrows.  The box didn't say what it was it just said the shade was in medium so I assumed it would be perfect for my brows. I showed up to my other job and my coworker asked me why my eyebrows were red? :smileysurprised: I immediately knew it wasn't for my eyebrows but it was a nude lip liner and ran to the bathroom to wash it off. That would have to be my most embarrassing Beauty disaster. YIKES!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 62 replies
  • 170 hearts
  • 50 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • chewcifer
    • eastakrongirl
    • katie1724
    • Jillie
    • officegal