officegal

Beauty Disasters

The other day I worked extra slowly on my makeup to achieve flawless complexion, radiance and illumination. I had already finished my eye makeup when, in a moment of feeling clever, I thought it would be fun to try using Benefit High Brow on my lower waterline to make my eyes look more alert.

BAD IDEA!

Instantly my eyes turned super red and teared. I ended up having to remove everything on the lower part of the eyes and re-conceal the under eye area.

Have you tried to be extra clever with your makeup, only to end up with a disaster instead? Confess!

katie1724

Re: Beauty Disasters

[ Edited ]

I am pretty sure I have written about my Sun-In nightmare (synopsis: My hair was way too dark for Sun-In, which bleached and fried it -- and I wound up with brassy, orange hair for three years, from the summer I was 12 until i was around 15), but i just remembered another one. I had rather full-bodied eyebrows at a time when full brows were NOT considered in, and I hated them. I was too impatient to sit there and pluck them, and I knew nothing about shaping, so I figured some Nair hair remover (which my mother used on her legs) would be a quick and easy way of killing two birds with one stone! I was so pleased with myself, but needless to say...that is not how this experience turned out. I put a very thin layer of Nair well under the arch of eyebrows and in the middle, but let me tell you, that Nair spreads out. When I went to wipe it off, half of my eyebrows came off -- they literally started in the middle of my eyes, near the iris. After initially freaking out, I convinced myself that it wasn't that noticeable. Wrong! When my mom got home, she immediately said, "Oh, hi, Ka--WHAT ON EARTH DID YOU DO TO YOUR EYEBROWS?!" Same with my friends..."What happened to your eyebrows...?!"

To this day, I have never touched Nair again.

Oh, and by the way -- I was also 14 or 15 when this happened, too -- so keep in mind that my two-toned, Sun-In hair was really in its prime at this point. I mean...I know we all had awkward middle school years, but this was *REALLY* not a good period for yours truly, aesthetically speaking...eesh. I'm just so thankful that they grew back!

: )

jmotaku

Easily the whole 'dark lipliner, light lipstick' idiocy craze that swept my middle school when I was young.  I swiped all of my mom's pictures that I had that makeup in (don't worry, there were plenty more for memory's sake) and gleefully cut them up into the trash.

I also had a terrible experience with a chemical depilatory.  Mine was that Veet stuff - I put it on my shins, hoping to keep the shaving to a minimum before a trip, and when i went to wash it off, per the instructions, my poor little hair follicles started bleeding after the stuff came off.  Had to wear knee socks because I had thousands of teeny little scabs that looked like bugs.  *shudder*  Hurt like crazy after a few minutes of the bleeding, too.  I should have known better after years of chemistry class, that sodium hydroxide is not a friend in any concentration.

ohhenri

Your story Katie, reminds me of my funny eyebrow!! You know how dads are with their little boy: when they shave, they give their son a razor without a blade so that they can shave too. Well, when I was about 4 or 5, I wanted to shave as well, but my dad told me I couldn't, because I was a girl and girls don't shave their beard!!! So one day, I really wanted to know if razors really work, so I took my dad's and test it where I actually had hair: my eyebrows. So I shave just a little bit of my left eyebrow (the part closest to the ear), but it was pretty obvious that I done something I shouldn't have, so in my 5 years old mind, I thought if I shave the whole eyebrow, no one would notice, so that's what I did !!! (I didn't touch the right one, though, so it was a pretty sharp look!!).

@jmotaku: same thing happened to me, but on my armpit. It burned like crazy and I never use it ever since!

grammarous

Well, this wasn't a makeup disaster but I do have quite the hair horror story. My hair gets dry on the ends and so I had been trying a dollup of olive oil on them from time to time. One night, I thought I could get a really good conditioning by covering my WHOLE HEAD in olive oil. I woke up the next morning looking like Encino Man. I rushed to my hair dresser with the emergency and she had to use heavy duty clarifying shampoo on me 3x. It was awful - I still looked like a greaseball for a few days, but her method definitely helped.

flutekatie

(0) Hearts

When I had turned 15 during band camp I had started breaking out with a few pimples and zits on my forhead and between my eyebrows. I started freaking out because I had never had acne before and didn't know what to do. My mom was out of town on a business meeting and she had never had acne period, so in a moment of "ingenuity" I had decided to put straight rubbing alcohol on the pimples and on my nose in an effort to get rid of the shine and the zits. The alcohol ended up burning my skin and made my entire nose covered with sebacious acne (under the skin) as soon as my mom came home she took me to the dermatologist who said it wasn't that bad of acne and prescribed two on the spot treatments and Cetaphyl facial cleanser. Imagine my feeling of shame that I had never had acne and low and behold the doctor thought it was awful enough to prescribe something, all because I had tried to get rid of a few zits with alcohol.

thatkelsey

When I was in middle school, I wanted to be "different" and wear bright NEON makeup. My mom eventually convinced me to ditch the costume makeup (I literally used halloween makeup for a while) and at least switch to some electric lime and hot pink MAC shades...which I applied liberally from my lids to my brows. The raccoon eyeliner didn't help either...I looked like some sort of scary hooker-clown. Now I hardly use eyeshadow at all, and when I do, it's brown or nude colors!

brookie673

(0) Hearts

Ohhhhhh goodness.

I've had the Benefit BeneTint blush forever. The first day I used it, I swiped the brush over my cheek and left it for a couple seconds too long. When I tried to blend it with my fingers, it wouldn't budge!! Well, it budged a little, but there was still a bright red line on each of my cheeks. In my panic, I knocked over the bottle and spilled half of it in the sink. It got all over my hands too. It looked like I had killed someone xD. I ended up having to wash it off, pick my mess up, and listen to my mom yell at me about being careful. I was lucky I didn't get any on my clothes, because she would have freaked out :smileyvery-happy: I have other ones, but this was the worst I could think of at the moment. :smileyhappy:

mermadelove

This thread had me ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! I have also had the whole "foundation looks great then turns orange" problem! I thought it was just me! A few years ago, Aveda had this problem with all of their liquid foundations! Turns out one of the items in the formula oxidized as the day wore on, so  I would leave the house looking perfect and by halfway through the day, I would look orange, orange, orange!! I switched to Bare escentuals loose mineral makeup after that-- it's only LAST YEAR that I felt brave enough to go back to using liquid foundation! And even so--- I stay away from Aveda!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

But I'd have to say, my worst beauty disaster was when I got into using straight peroxide on my bangs. Yes, I grew up with Sun-in, but I didn't think it would be good for my hair, I have an aunt who is pretty fair skinned with light ash brwon hair and she used to occasionally do peroxide rinses in the summer to lighten her hair. It looked great on her! So I started to do the same thing, too. In the winter--everyday. After a few weeks of this, people started asking me if I lightened my hair. I smiled and said, "Oh, no. It's from the sun." Even though it was BRIGHT red-- and only my bangs!!!!!

makeuppiggy

I got stilla's waterproff glitter eyeliner and i was kind of playing with it so i decided to do a cleopatha/fairy look and to was cute but i got it all over my nose and i ran out of waterproff remover and i had to leave with it like that it was so embarssing :smileysad: 

beezy78

Oh Lord! This just happened last weekend... My other half and I were on our way to our hometown to visit his Dad, who we hardly ever see. Right before we left town, John gave me an Avon book, and Cool! Free samples! One of the samples was a Long-wearing type of foundation in Creamy Natural. Well, I opened it and tried a teeny bit on my jawline- looked nice! So, I did my whole face with it. ORANGE!!! It only took about two minutes to go from O.K. to OH! NO!!! I made John pull over at a rest stop and I tried splashing my face with water, it wouldn't come off! So I ended up having to use gas-station dispenser-soap on my FACE! to get the make-up off... EW!

pocketvenus

Sadly, this is a fairly recent story. It was the midst of a dry winter when I decided that I could use a super boost of moisture on the sensitive skin below the eyes. I'd already applied my makeup so I dabbed on some Vitamin E oil before I rushed off to work. Well, what I didn't realize is that the oil had made my lower lash mascara totally smear and I had scary racoon eyes for an entire shift without realizing it. :smileysad: My coworkers didn't say a thing the whole time!

spamantha

i always had a dirty blonde color to my hair and one day i decided i wanted to be platinum. when i was 14 i let my two best friends dye my hair from a box and we didn't let it sit for long enough which made my hair turn orange. it has never gone back to the nice shade of blonde i had before because of that

artemisgem

My 2 biggest beauty disasters didn't have to do with makeup, they both had to do with leg hair removal. They were awful at the time, but looking back, I have to admit they were both really funny!

1. After the summer of 7th grade, I was sick of shaving my legs everyday so I tried to use "Nair." When I tried a small spot on my leg as a test, it worked fine but when I tried to do my entire legs, I had a severe allergic reaction. :smileysurprised: My legs turned purple and I had to wear jeans all summer!

2. The summer after my junior year of high school I went to National Student Leadership Conference in Washington DC. Since I had to get up really early the next morning, I decided to shave my legs at night. I cut my ankle, but figured it was no big deal so I just slapped a band-aid on it. Later in the ladies' room when I was waiting in line for the sink, one of the other girls started screaming and ran to get a counselor because I was unwittingly standing in a pool of blood from my little cut, which was evidently not so little after all. The nurse came to my room to bandage it up and while she did so 2 female and 2 male conselors stood there in my room and all swapped stories about times when they'd accidently cut themselves shaving which made me feel better about it! :smileyvery-happy:

rockalot

Reply to 1

I know what it's like I did the same for my underarms and I had tank tops the whole time because it burned and everyone saw and laughed "magically" I caught a "cold" and got to stay home until my prescription cream made it go away. :smileywink:

eastakrongirl

[ Edited ]

I was with a couple of friends a Sephora a few years ago when the Smashbox O-Glow was still pretty new. I told my friends how cool it was because it customizes to your skintone. Before I sould stop her, my one friend, who is pretty clueless about makeup, grabbed the tube squeezed out a HUGE dollop & proceeded to rub it on her face! It was horrifying & hilarious at the same time. One of the lovely Sephora girls helped her put some concealer over top to minimize the damage, but she had to still walk around with neon pink hands because she used so much!

ohhenri

(0) Hearts

@ eastakrongirl: When I was about 14-15, there's was this new lipstick (at the drug store) that claims to adapt, kinda like O-Glow does. Since it was pretty cheap (on sale, like 3$), I decided to give it a try. It was green, but turn red when applied. I did a few test, before wearing it out in public and it seems nice. But, since I wasn't a big "lipstick wearer" I think I apply way too much before going to a party. I thought everything was fine until one of my friends, who knew a lot more than me about make-up, turn to me and say: Andy, what did you do to your lips? When I look at myself in the mirror, it wasn't a reddish color like it was supposed to be, but still pretty green... So I tried to rub it off, and it wouldn't go away!!!

maddiemoo22

Well, when i was 3, i decided to take one of my moms lipsticks. I thought that i would look beautiful, so i smothered it on. My mom found out that i took it and she started yelling though out the house "MADDIE WHERE IS MY LIPSTICK?". Not wanting to get in trouble, i hid under my bed. She finally found me and had to pull me out by my feet! She didnt actually get mad though, she started to laugh and asked if i could do a pretty pose!

NEVER again will i play with my moms lipstick!:smileywink: 

lashreece

I got my best friend (since 8 years old, I'm now 38) from a beauty disaster.  I was new at the school and it was my 1st week at the school. I was in 3rd grade and we were not allowed to wear make-up.  I had brought a tinted lip balm to school and put it on while the teacher was out of the room.  I didn't have a mirror and totally missed my lip line.  There was a girl in the class who was a suck up to the teacher and had decided she didn't like me immediately.  She told the teacher as soon as she returned that I had put make-up on.  Since I had it smeared on my face, it was obvious i was guilty.  Another girl spoke up and told the teacher that my lips were really chapped and hurting me and she had loaned me her lip balm.  She didn't realize it was tinted and didn't have a mirror.  She totally lied for me to protect me from getting in trouble when she didn't even know me.  And we have been friends ever since...for 30 years and counting.  She has always stood up for me and has always had my back!

mjfanforlife

i was 12  and i was completely surprised beacuse it was picture day at school. so while i was in line just before they called my name i smeared on a bunch of shiny lipgloss thinking it looked amazing. so i get my picture  a few days later and the lipgloss is not just on my lips but it was ALL over the outside lining of my lips too! it looked like i had just eaten some really greasy chicken and forgot to use a napkin! lets just say now i use a mirror before i put ANY makeup on now

kristen518

Oh my goodness! I just remembered the time that I used NAIL POLISH as lipstick... I was about 8 or 9, and had stolen my aunt's nail polish. I knew that I would need remover to get it off my nails, but at that age, it didn't occur to me that I would need remover to get it from my lips. I ended up scrubbing and scrubbing my lips F O R E V E R with a washcloth to get it off. My lips were raw, chapped and bleeding for days, and I didn't even get all the nail polish off, so I got caught anyway!
naturalbeauty21

my worst beauty disaster is when i first started wearing makeup. i actually went out IN PUBLIC with blue eyeshadow and too much blush and i thought i looked so good and when i came home i realized how terrible i looked. ugh *shivers* never again...

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 62 replies
  • 170 hearts
  • 50 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • chewcifer
    • eastakrongirl
    • katie1724
    • Jillie
    • officegal