Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

BRANDS: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

What brands are you obsessed with and what sparked your love for them? What is it about that specific brand that makes you come back to buy more or try their new products? Any brands you've been disappointed with? Brands that consistently have products that don't seem to live up to the hype... or that just doesn't work for you. Maybe there's a brand you don't want to buy products from due to poor reviews/image. Any brands you've been wanting to try or any that caught your eye due to packaging or a specific product.

Share your stories of brand love and dislike.

โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ

One brand that will always hold a special in my heart is MAC. It was the first higher end brand that I purchased from and what started my love and obsession to makeup! I still remember looking at all the beautiful and endless products they offered. What brought me to them was a lip balm I loved. It was a tinted lip balm and I wanted to match that very specific nude beige to a lipstick and couldnโ€™t find it anywhere else. After seeing the range of color they offered I just fell in love. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed in the brand the last few yearsโ€ฆ it doesnโ€™t feel like it used to and I canโ€™t really put my finger on what makes me feels this way about them.

1484564192-mac-colour-rocker-lipsticks.jpg

KVD is another brand that keeps getting my money. I'm loving pretty much everything she is coming out with! Her packaging and all the work she puts into it make it even more special.  I so wish I would have gotten the face chart reward when it was up. Definitely one of my top brands!

2017-3-31_home-slider_rock-candy.gif

I also want to mention The Body Deli.  I keep repurchasing from them. I love their products and have been using their body line for a while now.  Here's more info about them from their site.

Spoiler
THE BODY DELI is the pioneer in fresh, organic, raw superfood enhanced personal care products. Two Cosmetic Chefs, Margaret Skarin Clark and David Anton Parker, created the brand in the resort towns of Palm Desert and Palm Springs, California in 2001. Two "foodies" with an extensive background in nutrition, raw food, wellness and beauty, envisioned a personal care brand so different, fresh and unique that they started making their own healthy skin care products. Their special method is a process similar to crafting fresh juices and smoothies in a high-end Organic Juice Bar. โ€œFresh Food for the Skinโ€ was their concept, and since then they have evolved a global brand committed and dedicated to providing the absolute purest alternative for nourishing the face, body and hair. Celebrities, fashion designers, Fortune 500 leaders and health conscious people have fallen in love with The Body Deliโ€™s unique, effective and wonderful creations.

TBDcollection_2048x2048.jpg

I've mentioned these in the thread today but also a big fan of:

Natasha Denona

Viseart

Pat McGrath

Odacite

Omorovicza 

Love the eye products from the first 3 brands, the serums from Odacite and a few products from Omorovicza. Probably more but just have a huge memory blank right now ๐Ÿ˜„

Re: BRANDS: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Awww ABH was like your "gateway" brand... like mine is MAC ๐Ÿ™‚

MAC was mine too @veronika23! i had a friend who worked there, and she introduced me to higher end makeup- after that, i was ruined.

@unfungirl  hahahahaha I was ruined! Pretty much ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

@unfungirl You made me laugh ๐Ÿ™‚

I was ruined, too. Now that I am into photo gears, I was ruined even more. 

@Babypeachist i'm sure!! i do dabble in drugstore here and there, but i have very high expectations when it comes to cosmetics now, no matter how broke i am ๐Ÿ˜›

@unfungirl My last purchase from drug store was the wet n wild highlighter from last year. After that, I am kinda of giving up on drug store products, simply because I couldn't catch up with the intensive new releases from all the higher end brands any more. I have a pile of BNIB stuff waiting for me to explore and products that haven't be touched in months and I ONLY HAVE ONE FACE! Those brands need to slow down;)

@Babypeachist story of my life lol! i love shopping for makeup, but trying to use it all? the struggle is real ๐Ÿ™‚

Ohhhh I'm in (don't think I've participated in one of these threads before)

LOVES

• MUFE -  I was very fortunate to cross paths with a knowledgeable Sephora SA when I first ventured into makeup.  She knew of the brand through theatre and commented that they were one of very few brands that understood the varying degrees of skin tones which was reflected in their products.  As a WOC finding workable complexion products is difficult and often downright annoying.  Most brands assume all WOC have red undertones and the ones who craft complexion products with more yellow undertones think adding in darker pigment is all you need to do to create deeper shades ๐Ÿ™„.  This is especially frustrating for me because my undertone is very neutral.  MUFE foundations & powders have been a Godsend for years.  Pretty certain I would have given up on make up had I not encountered this brand first.  More recently I fell in love with the Artist Shadows.  By far the best eyeshadows I have ever worked with.
  • Ole Henriksen - These products helped my skin rebound after a lengthy ER stay & having to take some intense meds.  I had several breakouts in the same location on my face that resulted in "ice pick" scars (I took photos to monitor my skin & dear God it was bad).  Loved the Red African Cleanser (sad they got rid of it) but I attribute most of my skin's progress to the Lemon Strip Flash Peel.
  • Lancome - The only brand (at this point) that can compete with my MUFE for complexion products.  I've briefly tested some of their skin serums but I have not used them enough.
  • Viseart - My lovely Secret Santa a few years ago gifted me my first Viseart palette and I fell in love.  Fantastic formula, very user friendly.

MEH

• ColourPop - Love their eyebrow pencils, for $5 and the same amount of product as higher end brands (if not more), a steal. Love their satin liquid lipsticks. Not sure I feel about them otherwise.  Some items I ordered in the past look nothing like the swatches they provided on darker complexions.  Recently there was a scandal of sorts where someone pointed out that ColourPop was photoshopping swatches on deeper skin tones (which would explain why some of the items I ordered look completely different).
  • Urban Decay - I do not hate them but I realize now just how overhyped they used to be (re: the Naked palettes).  There are far better eyeshadows out there.

H$%& NO, LEAVE IT ...  :)--largely because of their foolishness and/or because they are overhyped

• Jeffree Star 
  • Kylie Cosmetics
  • Z Palette
  • Morphe
  • Makeup Geek (I did order a few sale items, they're not bad they're just overhyped)

lmao @ElleElleG!i think we need an official tag for the leave its! kylie and jeffree and z-palette are on mine too- they're the worst tbh.

i agree with your list on so many levels! i adore MUFE because i am impossible to find a foundation match for, but they always come the closest (if not perfect.) and their eyeshadows are so underrated. 

i finally splurged on a viseart palette, and it was SO worth it! i need so many more.

Whoop whoop another MUFE lover!  I so wish other brands took note of how diverse their complexion products are.  I often come across products that I want to try but they fall way short on shade availability.  Granted, I have to do some work to get a spot on "match" but I should need 20 pounds of additional make up to balance everything out.

oh, and you know what they say about great minds @unfungirl ๐Ÿ˜‰, LOL

@ElleElleG they really are amazing! there's still so many things from the line i want to try- but the ultra HD foundation and concealer are 2 of my faves. are you olive toned too? it's so hard to find olive friendly face products!

clearly we both have great minds ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes @unfungirl I am olive/neutral.  Foundations with heavy red undertones look like I'm wearing a mask so I tend to go with more yellow foundations (in brands outside of MUFE/Lancome) with a finishing powder that more red toned to balance everything

๐Ÿ’ก๐Ÿ’ก

i am olive leaning neutral too @ElleElleG! i can't wear anything pink toned at all, so i love NARS and MUFE- i haven't found good matches in any other brands! 

I haven't had any success with NARS foundations unfortunately @unfungirl .  I've tried them a number of times but their deeper shades are extremely limited, off the top of my head the deepest shade is far too deep for me (and of course red) and the shade immediately under that is on the polar opposite of the spectrum/too light.  I want to say I just tried their Tinted Moisturizer but I may be thinking of the wrong one.

Have you tried Lancome or Estee Lauder Double Wear?

@ElleElleG i have more success with the NARS tinted moisturizer/BB than foundation. MUFE has been my best match of any brand so far for sure though.

I know for deeper skin tones, it's even harder to find a match! i get really dark in summer, and have more trouble then ๐Ÿ˜•

i haven't had luck with lancome, unfortunately! i have never tried the double wear as i tend to avoid very full coverage foundation, but they do offer a lighter formula now! do you like EL?

Sorry @unfungirl, I meant to respond to this sooner!

I want to say (could be wrong) that Lancome has expanded their color range some, at least in the Teint Idole formulation.

Yes, I like the Double Wear quite a bit actually.  They have designated neutral shades throughout the line which I love.  The first time I started using this I thought it was entirely too thick/heavy but I was coming from using a drop foundation by Lancome that was exceptionally runny.  I find that I only have to dab the DW foundation onto my finger once & dot that all over my face to get a light coverage.  Builds up nicely as well.  They recently raised the price a couple dollars but the price point is still pretty great (cheaper than MUFE, NARS, & Lancome)

Image result for i agree gif

That part of the list @ElleElleG??

00.JPG

100% in agreement!! And I refuse to mention the first two so I'm glad you typed it up for me Cat Happy

@ElleElleG @ZombieMetroAnt YEP to everything you both said. And to add that I saw the swatches of the new Jouer palette that's coming out with a killer silver shadow. But they are collaborating with JS and I just can't support anyone that supports him. I'm praying it doesn't come to fruition so I can go back to enjoying some Jouer stuff. Until then, I gotta say nope. 

@pixiedust2 that stinks but a part of me is not surprised by the collaboration.  Jouer is another brand that I think is overhyped on social media.

Have you, or anyone else, noticed that many of the social media hyped products/owners are all large supporters of one another despite whatever else is going on?  It was not until the palette mess that I saw Marlenna/MUG sever ties publicly.

@pixiedust2  Natasha Denona makes a pretty killer silver. Check out Chromatic 04.  I'll try and remember to swatch it for you!

@veronika23 Thank you V! โค

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • TBDcollection_2048x2048.jpg
  • 2017-3-31_home-slider_rock-candy.gif
  • 1484564192-mac-colour-rocker-lipsticks.jpg
  • edfe55e6e1cbfef503a6a7e7eb63a1dd.jpg
  • Terracotta-Category-3_1.jpg
  • 00.JPG
  • RBR-Calendar-Apr.jpg